Forums > General Industry > Does a website really make a difference

Photographer

Eric Harrell

Shelbyville, Tennessee, US

I have started wondering something....How important to you is your website? Do models think less of you if you don't have one? Are they easily swayed by a " fancy showroom "? Do they think less of you if you choose to pay a site like Model Mayhem, OMP or any of the others to host alot of your photos available for viewing??? Do they really think even less of you if you go the cheap route and have only a Yahoo webpage showing some photos?

What do the photographers think?

What do the models think?

Aug 25 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

Personally I like to view photographers web sites.

More so that I can see other things they do that they want to showcase that has nothing to do with photographing just models. Sort of like getting a deeper view into what they see when they are shooting and how they project it.

Like I said that is just me ;-)

Aug 25 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Eric Harrell wrote:
I have started wondering something....How important to you is your website? Do models think less of you if you don't have one? Are they easily swayed by a " fancy showroom "? Do they think less of you if you choose to pay a site like Model Mayhem, OMP or any of the others to host alot of your photos available for viewing??? Do they really think even less of you if you go the cheap route and have only a Yahoo webpage showing some photos?

What do the photographers think?

What do the models think?

The difference is sort of like shopping in Marshalls or Marshalfields smile

Aug 25 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Perreault

Socorro, New Mexico, US

As someone who has been doing websites since 1994 (old hand coder of HTML), in my opinion, if you're going to have a website done, pay the $ to get a domain name (GoDaddy is inexpensive). If you can't do the website yourself, then pay someone to do it for you.

This is the "do as I say, not as I do" portion since I haven't gotten my website up yet. :-)

There are a lot of website designers out there. If they don't understand about navigation schemes and optimization of images, run away. The three things that, again IMO (I'm a technical communication major), a good website has to have:

1) Fast loading: not everyone has DSL, cable modem, or wireless;
2) Consistent navigation scheme: If people can't navigate your site, I don't care how
    flashy it is, you won't get repeat visitors - they want to know
    a) where they are,
    b) where they've been,
    c) where can they go,
    d) and how to get back without using the Back button on the browser;
3) Macromedia Flash is not your friend.

Just my 2.6 cents (adjusted for the cost of making a penny)...

Tony

Aug 25 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

I am a magazine editor by trade, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if a model/photographer doesn't have a nice looking website then I don't deal with them.  Period.

Having a nice website shows that you have pride in your own work.  I know that isn't always true but think about it like a resume.  In many cases it's the first impression someone is going to have about you as a photographer/model.

Aug 26 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I have my own web site (http://www.looknseephoto.com), and I love it, for a lot of reasons.

>>>  Potential models can see tons (>5400) of my images.
>>>  I document my sittings & what I'm thinking while the sitting progresses.
>>>  Potential models can see that I like to work with models multiple times.
>>>  By posting images from a sitting, I get to feel closure on the sitting.
>>>  I can better "network" with local photographers & models.
>>>  It helps me "process" each sitting & helps me figure out what I can do better.

Yes, it is a bit of work, but it is definitely worth it.  Keep it simple -- the site's for displaying your photographs, not for displaying your flash animation skills or someone else's music.

Aug 26 06 11:20 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

If a photographer has a fancy website, that impresses me. If he just has a good setup on OMP, MM, etc., that is just fine. Yahoo does NOT cut it.

Aug 26 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I have been in business for 20 years, still no website, too busy to actually sit down and get one...

Your images speak for themselves.  Who gives a fuck if a model thinks you are less professional if you don't have your own website.  It's not like you count on models to pay you to pay your bills...

I have seen many AMAZING websites for photographers, all fancy Flash stuff and music going on, but the images the site showcases suck!  If a model really believes that someone who has a website is more professional than someone that doesn't I could care less.

Models don't pay my bills, my clients do.  If you have to worry about what models think about your work and your work is primarily making money off of models, you have more problems than worrying about than a website...

Aug 26 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
I have been in business for 20 years, still no website, too busy to actually sit down and get one...

Your images speak for themselves.  Who gives a fuck if a model thinks you are less professional if you don't have your own website.  It's not like you count on models to pay you to pay your bills...

I have seen many AMAZING websites for photographers, all fancy Flash stuff and music going on, but the images the site showcases suck!  If a model really believes that someone who has a website is more professional than someone that doesn't I could care less.

Models don't pay my bills, my clients do.  If you have to worry about what models think about your work and your work is primarily making money off of models, you have more problems than worrying about than a website...

I agree with you whole heartedly.

In many ways a website is just a pain in the ass, if you are busy you have no time to maintain it.  We spend enough time on MM to compensate for it.

Aug 26 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

GRHorn wrote:
In many ways a website is just a pain in the ass, if you are busy you have no time to maintain it.  We spend enough time on MM to compensate for it.

Exactly! Why would you want a web site???  You wont get that much out of them, they hardly add to one's professionalism, who would go see it anyway, and if you spend enough time on MM that should make sure anyone at all you would want to see your work would.

That's exactly why there are so few web sites....

https://photoworks.ws/images/funny/Smly-ROTFLMAO.gif

Aug 26 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Harrell

Does the cost of maintaining a professional looking website justify having one??? Is it less professional to allow MM or some other site to have all your photos for viewing???   I just am kicking a few rocks around.

Oh and by the way I have had my own website for maybe 5 yrs now but I just get the feeling that its only sitting there and not doing anyhting for me. Yes potential clients can go there and view samples of my work but they can also do that on MM or even Yahoo. Guess I am just trying to justify the cost of keeping one up and going. If anyone has a good lead on cheap webhosting and webmaster...I may be interested in talking. I may be paying to much for my site.

Aug 26 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Ami S wrote:
Personally I like to view photographers web sites.

More so that I can see other things they do that they want to showcase that has nothing to do with photographing just models. Sort of like getting a deeper view into what they see when they are shooting and how they project it.

Like I said that is just me ;-)

Ami:

You are wise beyond your years.

Aug 26 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I think it is essential to getting work if you are on the net.

Use the online sites like MM and even OMP to lead people to your site. OMP will not allow ANY thing that does not promote OMP so you have to find some clever ways to get your site listed there. MM allows links and free speech .

I get paid work from my site all the time and I get it from companies a well as models . I never did get a paid job from OMP but I have had a few off MM .

I think you need the folowing to be taken as serious

1. A personal site
2. Your FULL name
3. A real location
4. A real phone number that matches the location

If you can't offer your name ,location and phone number you may as well forget it .

Aug 26 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

lightswitch

Sacramento, California, US

Eric Harrell wrote:
Does the cost of maintaining a professional looking website justify having one???

it's worth it to me. it costs me $10 a year for the name and $4 a month for hosting. I do all my own work, as i've been doing sites for ~8 years now...i was even professional for a time. so expect my photography site coming soon smile

Aug 26 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
I am a magazine editor by trade, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if a model/photographer doesn't have a nice looking website then I don't deal with them.  Period.

Having a nice website shows that you have pride in your own work.  I know that isn't always true but think about it like a resume.  In many cases it's the first impression someone is going to have about you as a photographer/model.

My website is outdated, too busy shooting for clients, yet I have old and decent photos on there, but good enough to show that I am in the business of photography.

I have met at a major charity event the owner of a large (1Billion in annual sales) clothing company. Naomi Campbel is on a billboard for them on Time Square right now... HUGE billboard.

I shot him with his family and his competitor (about the same in sales) for a groupphoto etc. and gave him my business card.

Next day in the evening, I receive an email from him that let me bounce off the walls,  because of the content, where he invited me to his offices and wants to introduce me to his marketing department and HE will talk to them about my work.

When I checked my weblog, I saw that during the day, I have received many hits from the URL of that company, my website has been thoroughly looked upon by that company.

So, all those who think it's unnecessary to have a webpresence, have your opinion and "rebell" against websites.

I will not take my down, but will redo and finish it as soon as possible, because that experience showed me that we are being judged just like other businesses.

Does anybody realize that if a business doesn't have a website, nowadays... it's considered unprofessional... and it's reflecting in our segment as well.

Well, each one markets themself differently I gather, some successfully, others not.

I also agree with Andrew's second paragraph, where a website also reflects the pride someone has into his/her own work.

Aug 26 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Los Angeles, California, US

No matter the subject I am always amazed at how adamant the different perspectives come in.  One side says not enough time for website, and the perspective is interesting, because you have years of experience and direct ties to your money or that business you rely upon.  The other side of the coin is the perspective that the site does represent you and your professionalism. I very much appreciative of the sound opinions given.  Perhaps if someone, like myself, who is not in the mix so to speak, a website will be that first introduction to perspective clients.  In this day in age, I try to take advantage of the free opportunities out there to show my work, slowly grind out my needs and it would be insane to not have a website, unless you are already succesfull.  One other note, it is alway a kick in the ass to see a graphic designer shine on the web and not have the images to back it up.

Aug 26 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Eric Harrell wrote:
Yes potential clients can go there and view samples of my work but they can also do that on MM or even Yahoo.

I was hesitant, with the implied nudity and barebutts on the avatars and frontpage, to link from my site to Model Mayhem, because of my type of customers.

Then it got better and we had the OT topics removed from the frontpage and I put a link on my website.

Then, MM goes more the direction of glam, barebutts were allowed and I removed the banner from the linksection of my site.

I loved to inform people about my MM portfolio, since I have more recent images up there which didn't find its way into my actual website, but a MM or OMP or similar portfolio is no replacement for a real website, but should be a sampling of what can be seen on the actual website.

This, of course relates only to the actual photographers who are making a living with that medium and not the artist who finds his/her models on the internet only.

Aug 26 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
Why would you want a web site???  You wont get that much out of them, they hardly add to one's professionalism, who would go see it anyway, and if you spend enough time on MM that should make sure anyone at all you would want to see your work would.

>>>  Your MM site will find you only MM models.
>>>  Your MM site limits the number of images you can display.
>>>  There are plenty of distractions on MM.
>>>  You can't provide FAQs or significant image commentary on MM.
>>>  Without a web site, you appear to be more of an amateur.

In short, I disagree with you.

Aug 26 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Eric Harrell wrote:
Does the cost of maintaining a professional looking website justify having one??? Is it less professional to allow MM or some other site to have all your photos for viewing???   I just am kicking a few rocks around.

Oh and by the way I have had my own website for maybe 5 yrs now but I just get the feeling that its only sitting there and not doing anyhting for me. Yes potential clients can go there and view samples of my work but they can also do that on MM or even Yahoo. Guess I am just trying to justify the cost of keeping one up and going. If anyone has a good lead on cheap webhosting and webmaster...I may be interested in talking. I may be paying to much for my site.

What counts as a "professional looking website"?  Many of the sites I see waste time & energy & bandwidth on flashing animation & sound effects.  I would contend that for photographers, you would want a simple & elegant site that displays your photography, lists a bio, provide contact info, hosts a FAQ -- stuff like that.  While it may take a bit of time to set something up, if you keep it simple, it doesn't cost all that much to maintain it.

Yes, it takes some effort, but I'm getting 200-500 visitors a day.  I also accept donations from visitors, and those donations not only pay for the site but also helps me pay for nearly all of my photography expenses. 

So, let me take your post to mean that your site might lack the necessary "critical mass" (e.g. visitors) to justify its effort.  My site, on the other hand, works well for me.

Aug 26 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

J. Welborn wrote:
I think you need the folowing to be taken as serious

1. A personal site
2. Your FULL name
3. A real location
4. A real phone number that matches the location

If you can't offer your name ,location and phone number you may as well forget it .

I'm not sure I agree.  I guess it depends on the image you want to present.  I prefer to maintain as much anonymity as possible, but I'm happy to provide contact details to appropriate people who contact me through the web site (there's an e-mail form there).

Then again, I'm not trying to be a "professional" -- I'm an advanced amateur, and my web site provides enough income to pay for my photography hobby, including the web site.

Aug 26 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Southern Image Photo

Garner, North Carolina, US

I'm going to agree with the website detractors.

Please - no more websites from you guys.

Leaves less competition and more potential customers looking at mine....lol....

Aug 26 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

flickr

Aug 26 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

changed name

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Tony Perreault wrote:
As someone who has been doing websites since 1994 (old hand coder of HTML), in my opinion, if you're going to have a website done, pay the $ to get a domain name (GoDaddy is inexpensive). If you can't do the website yourself, then pay someone to do it for you.

This is the "do as I say, not as I do" portion since I haven't gotten my website up yet. :-)

There are a lot of website designers out there. If they don't understand about navigation schemes and optimization of images, run away. The three things that, again IMO (I'm a technical communication major), a good website has to have:

1) Fast loading: not everyone has DSL, cable modem, or wireless;
2) Consistent navigation scheme: If people can't navigate your site, I don't care how
    flashy it is, you won't get repeat visitors - they want to know
    a) where they are,
    b) where they've been,
    c) where can they go,
    d) and how to get back without using the Back button on the browser;
3) Macromedia Flash is not your friend.

Just my 2.6 cents (adjusted for the cost of making a penny)...

Tony

My feeling as a web designer is that for photographers (who are largely representing themselves) a GOOD website is a must. "A" website is simply not good enough and can be damaging if does not compliment your work.

For models who are agency, it's nice to have a site, but a good agency in a decent market will get the model most of their jobs.

Good advice from the quoted poster above; however, I must take issue with the Flash statement. To say Flash is not your friend these days is almost like saying the web is not your friend. There's lots of bad Flash out there, and when Flash gets in the way of content or loads slowly, it's a loser; however, Flash can be done VERY well, and when it loads fast and complements the content, it's working like any other well executed element of the site. Look around and you'll find the best sites out there in most any genre incorporates Flash and multimedia. The trick is to do it well.

Aug 26 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zir Tuan

Dallas, Texas, US

Having a website is a must! It gives focus to your work rather having ads flying around the page, or being distracted by other members of the community like OMP, MM, etc...also you can design it (or hire someone to) however you like, to give your work a greater impact.

I designed my site, took me two months to learn the basics of flash and since then I add/subtract more as I go.

It is about presentation so present it with your best. When you can't face the client in person then your site will have to represent you, and you want it to look professional, a bit of your personality to the mix.

Aug 26 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Is this good enough to be "my" website?

www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Aug 27 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Ivan S Harris

San Diego, California, US

Yes, it is a bit of work, but it is definitely worth it.  Keep it simple -- the site's for displaying your photographs, not for displaying your flash animation skills or someone else's music.

LMAO!!!!!!!

thats what your myspace page is for!!!

Aug 27 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Everybody in business should have a web site, even a small simple one. Just make sure it's clean, professional and functional ... having a bad web site is bad.

Aug 27 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Eric Harrell

There are enough modeling websites that offers " free " profiles to everyone without paying some price to host photos that allow you to have enough to tease someone into coming to your own site to look around. So with this being true ( if it is ) then why do people pay whatever to be on some sites???  Is it because some of them don't have a website of there own and would rather sites like MM do the work for them?

Aug 27 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I have as of ye to go to a function or client meeting and NOT be asked for my wed url. It's a common question as it is almost expected.

I would never send a potential client to MM fo rone major reason. I dont want that client looking at the work of othe rphotgraphers, not to mention I do much more than photgraphy. By going to my site I am controling my image. This is key in marketing and branding. You want potential clients to be focused on you. that's how you close deals.

Also, having a website is not enough. Websites take work and upkeep. It needs to be a tool you dont let grow old and get stale.

the advantages out way and disadvantages and the current trends point to the importance of a web presence.

A great website can cut marketing cost, improve customer service and increease profits.

Now go build it..they will come..

Aug 27 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
Why would you want a web site???  You wont get that much out of them,they hardly add to one's professionalism, who would go see it anyway, and if you spend enough time on MM that should make sure anyone at all you would want to see your work would.

Looknsee Photography wrote:
>>>  Your MM site will find you only MM models.
>>>  Your MM site limits the number of images you can display.
>>>  There are plenty of distractions on MM.
>>>  You can't provide FAQs or significant image commentary on MM.
>>>  Without a web site, you appear to be more of an amateur.

In short, I disagree with you.

Uh oh. I'm not sure if my post was recognized for the tongue-in-cheek comment as I had intended or if it was taken seriously.

Aug 27 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

U can get a website thru something like lunarpages.com for $100/year. Which is like cheaper than OneModelplace or whatever. That includes the domain name. And U can make U're website look totally professional and SLAMMIN' and fill it with quotes about other people. As long as the quotes are accurate, it's LEGAL. I.e.:

"One of the finest photographers whose work I have ever seen!" - Richard Avedon

U just dont need to mention that Avedon is a) dead b) was talking about Albert Watsup. And then you can take a bunch of really cool images from other really good photographers and photoshop out the copyrights and then for like $100 U R ready to totally RAWK in U're new carrier as a photographyr!

I just gotta get the cheeseballs who stole "Gwc.com" out from under me to give it up. They want like $1,000,000 for the domain.

GWC!

Aug 27 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Perreault

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Josh Humble wrote:
...I must take issue with the Flash statement. To say Flash is not your friend these days is almost like saying the web is not your friend. There's lots of bad Flash out there, and when Flash gets in the way of content or loads slowly, it's a loser; however, Flash can be done VERY well, and when it loads fast and complements the content, it's working like any other well executed element of the site. Look around and you'll find the best sites out there in most any genre incorporates Flash and multimedia. The trick is to do it well.

And therein lies the problem. Not many people *know* how to do Flash well.  I should have expanded upon my comment that "Flash is not your friend" by saying that a lot of people don't do Flash well enough to justify using it.

As a technical communicator, and someone who has done Flash, if someone wanted a purely Flash website I would try to convince them to do an HTML one as well. Some people, like myself, still use dialup to connect to the Internet, and frankly the last thing I want to see is a Flash splash page w/o a link to "Skip Intro" or the like.

Flash is fun. You can do a lot of neat things with Flash. Flash is also, like Photoshop, a time sucking application. I would not advise anyone to use Flash for their site navigation. Some viewers don't have the latest and greatest version of Flash installed, and thus would not be able to navigate your site.

Now, off to work on my website... :-)

Tony

Aug 27 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

changed name

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Tony Perreault wrote:

And therein lies the problem. Not many people *know* how to do Flash well.  I should have expanded upon my comment that "Flash is not your friend" by saying that a lot of people don't do Flash well enough to justify using it.

That's certainly a reasonable statement. A nicely done html site is superior to a poorly done Flash site. As with any artistry, if it can't be done well, don't do it and find an alternative.

Aug 28 06 10:40 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I have a cute website. I doubt anybody's impressed.

Aug 28 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

i do not expect for a website, but it impresses me when they have a nice website. it sounds superficial, maybe, but i do look at that to judge wether a photographer is profesional, serious about his career, etc

Aug 28 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

I have a web site. I have 5 giga bites of storage (which can hold a few more than MM's 20 images, OMP's 5 images, MP's 60 images, OTS's 7 images and so on)

I do believe it has helped get my career started.

I have a professional (looking) Email address that matches the site. I have a full name, address and professional (looking) phone number.

It is easy to maintain a more than basic site.
I use the extra storage space for off site back up of my best images.
I have detailed directions to my studio
I have a rate sheet.
pdf model release forms
I will soon be selling my images from my site

You can be www.modelmayhem/member.id=1234567
or janedoe.com

I kind of like the dot com thing myself

Aug 28 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes I think it's very important.....there's nothing wrong with being here or other online communities.....but it should be in addition to and not in lieu of a personal site........it needs to be a clean but impressive design, easy to navigate. Not to mention, they go there to look at YOUR work......and your work only......all depends on how serious you are.

Aug 28 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I have a website, http://www.blindmike.com. Eventually I'll write a commercial one, but for now the photoblog does a good job of letting people know who I am.

And yes, it does make a difference.

Aug 29 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I had one for years,hadynlassiter.com all I ever got was requests for quotes. So they could bounce my fee off someone else.
I get more clients from deviantart than I ever did from my website. I closed it down last year. A total waste of time and money if you are too busy to maintain it or pay someone to do so. Now you have someone on your payroll just promoting your site at 9-10$ an hour. Fuck that.
Your work says who you are not some gimmicky site that is a pain in the ass to get through.
Thats my 50 pence.

Aug 29 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

To me, a website is just one facet of a marketing strategy. The web is getting to where it is taking the place of the Yellow Pages. It is an information appliance to younger generations. I have gotten some very valuable clients from my website.

With all the "photographers" out there competing for business, anything that helps you gain credibility and promotes your business should be considered seriously. A well crafted website can be a very positive reflection on your photographic skills.

If you don't have a website and are getting tons of business from your reputation and referrals, think how much more business you are losing out to to those with sites.

All that said, you have to have the photos to back it all up.

Aug 29 06 08:46 am Link