Forums > General Industry > Lack of Inspiration

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

As I see it, there are 3 things you must have to make photographs.

1 Light
2 Camera
3 Inspiration

Light is there, everyday there is light so that is a given. Camera, I have one, a Sony 828 thingie. If I did not I would borrow one or buy one. I am not that picky about cameras. I got a B in a Photojounalism class with a tough instructor using a weird old Japanese rangefinder camera with a fixed 50 2.8 lens. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 and it took a decent picture. So I have 2 out of 3 and it equals ZERO. I used to have all sorts of ideas but they seem to have gone away. I do have a shoot coming up with a begining model, she will get much better pictures than what she has now. I keep hoping if I go out and shoot that I will have an epiphany and be struck by the meatball (R Crumb fans will know what I mean). I know this happens to everybody at some point. Not whining or even ranting. Lack of inspiration - discuss?

Aug 23 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

I am the opposite, I got plenty of insp. and ideas, though when it comes to putting it to life - I can't put the pieces together. darn it.

Aug 23 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Go out and shoot....keep your eyes open...the world is flying past you....wink

Aug 23 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Since I started shooting in mid/2004, I’ve never had inspiration, only a camera and some lights.
Now I have a better camera and better lights.

Aug 23 06 11:53 pm Link

Model

Brittany Leigh

craig...im right there with ya...im a photographer (as well as a model), and am soo burnt out its ridiculous. i think if we just keep shooting, and stick it through we'll make it through the valley of the uninspired! smile hehe. good luck!

Aug 23 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Alright, I might sound stupid and oversimplifying, but life is the inspiration itself.  I think once you identify your style and understand who you are and what you like - anything could be an inspiration.

As a suggestion, talk about yourself, and see what ppl say - do they have a different opinion about things? if so, you could picture your way of seeing things....

Aug 23 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jhett Thompson

New York, New York, US

stop thinking so hard it will only make it worse. just put the camera down and let the world speak to you. i keep a book in my car at all times that i only use to write down ideas as i see locations or things that spark my interest throughout the day.

Aug 23 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Photos without inspiration suck.

Aug 24 06 12:01 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

BUAGAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
PS: sorry, nerves....

Aug 24 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Brittany Leigh wrote:
craig...im right there with ya...im a photographer (as well as a model), and am soo burnt out its ridiculous. i think if we just keep shooting, and stick it through we'll make it through the valley of the uninspired!  hehe. good luck!

Thanks, I don't feel I'm suffering from anything. I just don't "see" a photo in my head and then try to create it.
I shoot what I like when I see it whether it's a model or a car or a live band or even a burlesque performer dancing.

I'm self taught and am learning a little bit here and a little bit there about my camera and post production.

Edit:
I shoot almost every day and some days I shoot two, three, four or more models a day when I’m shooting live performances or bands.

Yesterday I shot with a new model and new makeup artist as well as a model I’ve shot with 15 times at the same time. It was 7pm outside in a park and we lost light, so I hooked up my second speedlight on a light stand with a diffuser and set it to slave and used my 580EX as master to fire the second light. This was the first time I’ve tried this setup but I didn’t want to send the models and makeup artist home without at least trying. After shooting, we all agree from looking at the images, that it was well worth the effort.

Aug 24 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Great Minds Think Alike.

Aug 24 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Solomage wrote:
Go out and shoot....keep your eyes open...the world is flying past you....wink

It's true - always have your camera with you. Inspiration doesn't walk up in a blinding flash of light with trumpets blaring, sometimes it just reaches down, smacks you on the back of the head and runs off. You have to be ready for it at any moment, or hunt it down and find it. 
And it will make you very, very tired for a very, very long time. But eventually you'll start to enjoy the chase smile

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Aug 24 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

No, you don't need inspiration.  (Someone quotable said "Inspiration is 99% perspiration.")

I highly recommend you read Bayles & Orland's Art & Fear for more information.

Go shoot.

-Don

Aug 24 06 01:06 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Seems that way but the world isnt flying anywhere - its all inside you.. Bringing it out, thats the part to work on

Aug 24 06 01:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

www.jedroot.com

for inspiration

Aug 24 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael L. wrote:
As I see it, there are 3 things you must have to make photographs.

1 Light
2 Camera
3 Inspiration

Light is there, everyday there is light so that is a given. Camera, I have one, a Sony 828 thingie. If I did not I would borrow one or buy one. I am not that picky about cameras. I got a B in a Photojounalism class with a tough instructor using a weird old Japanese rangefinder camera with a fixed 50 2.8 lens. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 and it took a decent picture. So I have 2 out of 3 and it equals ZERO. I used to have all sorts of ideas but they seem to have gone away. I do have a shoot coming up with a begining model, she will get much better pictures than what she has now. I keep hoping if I go out and shoot that I will have an epiphany and be struck by the meatball (R Crumb fans will know what I mean). I know this happens to everybody at some point. Not whining or even ranting. Lack of inspiration - discuss?

Ideas are not that hard to come by:

1 Think of an existing piece of art, tv commercial, cartoon, book you have read, whatever --and imagine doing a photo interpretation of it, maybe a photo that's a parody or comical version of "it".

2. Think of a story - someone gets bad news, great news, two people meet, two people break up, a monster that no one is afraid of, a story setup in 2-3 photos, and the punch line is in the third (surprise perhaps).

3. Illustrate something you care about - political or social commentary

4. Do an abstract art photo -find roots or vegetables that look like people etc.

5. What If??? Mix things up parts of machines with animals or people, plants, vegetables, furniture, planetary bodies, electronics. etc. it could even make a statement rather than just being cool...

6 And so on...

Dan

Aug 24 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

Join a group or get together with a couple of photog friends and give each other "themes".

Each person takes a turn with a theme/assignment and you have a week to shoot it. At the end of the week, you all get together and "vote". Loser buys drinks/dinner

Aug 24 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Would like to thank everybody for participating so far. As usual, a variety of opinions and ideas. I've decided to photograph my new condo for my Mom. She's 79 and wanted to come visit this summer to escape the heat in Fresno. Then she cracked her kneecap and had to cancel. So I know she wants to see it. After that, my guitar collection. I am not afraid inspiration will leave forever, it is just taking a break.

Aug 24 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

a photo without inpiration.....is a snapshot....nothing more.......its what seperates artists from the technicians, or worse, pretenders with a camera...which is actually the majority

is it ok to snap a pic without inspiration....depends on why you are shooting.....many times you take pics for your work that have preset boundries that you are stuck with.....not much creativity there usually....but even then try to push the limits when you can.....

as for getting the spark of inspiration....try visiting an art museum....look at other artists works...wander around your city and imagine what you can do with the canvas that is there...or how you can change into a reality that isnt there.....dream a little and turn your dreams into a bit of reality smile

Aug 24 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

I feel your pain. Ive been fighting "it" for almost a year now. Not sure whats wrong. Ive even gone back and shot with some of my first ever models to try and find a spark. Shooting now feels like work, and since I do it as a hobby and for enjoyment, thats a bad thing...

Aug 24 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

TENSION, COMPOSITION, and DETAIL

the perception of tension within the frame
a strong composition with focal points in the image
details that draw the eye

These are essential elements of my own work.

Aug 24 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
No, you don't need inspiration.  (Someone quotable said "Inspiration is 99% perspiration.")

-Don

I don't want to get into this debate, but this is a totally butchered quote that needs to be fixed.  Thomas Edison said "Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration."

Never equated inspiration to perspiration.

carry on...

EDIT:  Although one quote of edison's that is relevan to your argument, Don, is this: "Great ideas originate in the muscles. "

sort of what you were trying to say?

Aug 24 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Oh, and here I thought it was selective desaturation

Aug 24 06 10:03 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

global vision wrote:
a photo without inpiration.....is a snapshot....nothing more.......its what seperates artists from the technicians, or worse, pretenders with a camera...which is actually the majority

is it ok to snap a pic without inspiration....depends on why you are shooting.....many times you take pics for your work that have preset boundries that you are stuck with.....not much creativity there usually....but even then try to push the limits when you can.....

as for getting the spark of inspiration....try visiting an art museum....look at other artists works...wander around your city and imagine what you can do with the canvas that is there...or how you can change into a reality that isnt there.....dream a little and turn your dreams into a bit of reality smile

Amen.

Aug 24 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Photografika

Utica, Michigan, US

Yeah, everyone can burn out or "run out of ideas" after a while (writer's are very familiar with writer's block). Sometimes you can jump start your creativity again by breaking the "rules" of photography that you've learned. Sometimes you can find inspiration in something unexpected (pick a random word out of a dictionary and try to make a themed shoot about it). Sometimes you might need to go to a book like the Photo Idea Index by Jim Krause. Mix up your thought process on how you normally plan out shots, ask a model if they have any "crazy" ideas to shoot. Hell, do anything to try and get those creative juices flowing. Good luck!

Aug 24 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a people photographer.  I don't know much about light, and I don't know much about gear, but I do know about people.  They are what interest me.  My photography is simple; I don't have big concepts, and as such I might not qualify as being creative.  But I see what is compelling in people.  I see what makes someone beautiful (no matter what they look like), and I try to loan my vision to those who look at my work. 

It's that simple for me.  The people I photograph are what inspires me.

Aug 24 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Go to www.dictionary.com

Look at their word of the day.

Today it's Denzien:

denizen \DEN-uh-zuhn\, noun:
1. A dweller; an inhabitant.
2. One that frequents a particular place.
3. [Chiefly British] An alien granted certain rights of citizenship.
4. An animal, plant, etc. that has become naturalized.

Go shoot it.

-PKD

Aug 24 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

This us a rut that a lot of creative people find themselves in.

I have been a writer, artist, and photographer.... All of these outlets at one time or the other have left me feeling frustrated and bored of my work.

That us really what I think the gap in creativity us all about.... A frustration and a boredom with your own ideas. It isn't that you have lost you're creativty... It us simply that other peoples imaginations seem more compelling to you... Than your own.

At the time.

I have been wildly frustrated over images I have created only to have them become some of the most memorible.

When we start to realize that small parts of who we are are present in everything that we create, it begins to breed a change in us... Our uniqueness is what qualifies our work as worth while.... Not how well we feel it represents our voice...

Aug 24 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

GD Photowerks

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Here's something I used to do with photo students - open the dictionary to a random word - now go make a photo that represents that word.  Your word for today is "determined".  Now lets see what you can produce.

Aug 24 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

mad city fine arts wrote:
I don't want to get into this debate, but this is a totally butchered quote that needs to be fixed.  Thomas Edison said "Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration."

Never equated inspiration to perspiration.

carry on...

EDIT:  Although one quote of edison's that is relevan to your argument, Don, is this: "Great ideas originate in the muscles. "

sort of what you were trying to say?

OK, I stand corrected.  Nevertheless, inspiration is way overrated.  In photo school inspiration was the desire to pass.  In commercial photography, the inspiration was the desire to actually have the client pay the invoice.  In art photography, it's all about working and making stuff.

If, once in awhile one has an interesting idea, that is probably more than most people get in a lifetime.  But even that's not really necessary.

Make photographs.  Throw away the bad ones.  Everyone will think you're "inspired."  And that's what you really want anyway, isn't it?

-Don

Aug 24 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vermont Figurative Arts

Burlington, Vermont, US

What? You want us to tell you how to be creative?
This is a skill can be taught. Some people exude creativity.
Others have to work at it.
Why do you want to take photos at all?
Take a vacation...go for a walk...ride a bike....go shopping.
Or....you could try Synectics. Google the term. It works, to a point.

Aug 24 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Just do what I do. Take your camera and go out very early in the morning and look at everything. I have learned from a guy that has been shooting for 40 years that in the morning when your mind is clear you see things that you would miss later in the day. He also said very late at night when things calm down to go out and look around. I never had such a good time doing this and it works for me.

Mike

Aug 24 06 02:41 pm Link