Forums > General Industry > Pinup Models of Color....

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I was just curious... are there any?

Aug 23 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Eartha Kitt comes to mind...

Aug 23 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

groupw wrote:
Eartha Kitt comes to mind...

Ooh, I adore her... and although she wasn't really a pinup, Lena Horne comes to mind also. She just had that timeless beauty...

Aug 23 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

oops doubled the message ;-./

Aug 23 06 08:54 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

What color are you looking for? :-p

Aug 23 06 08:54 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ok... now that that's out of the way... lets get back to the thread. I've always been interested in the pinup culture. I just wanted to know if there were pinup models of color. Not necessarily black, but someone outside of the causcasion persuasion.

Aug 23 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

I just flipped through my "let them eat cheesecake" art of Olivia book.

She had models of several diffrent races in her book.

Aug 23 06 09:49 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
I just flipped through my "let them eat cheesecake" art of Olivia book.

She had models of several diffrent races in her book.

Thanks, I will definitely check it out...

Aug 23 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I have been trying for over a year to find models of color to do some images recalling the ww2 pinups. No luck yet. Most women of color I have spoken to dont seem interested in this style of image. A shame really as I have some really great ideas. Also it takes the right model to make the image work, there has to be a certain innocense in the look as well as implied lust? I tried with one of the I seen it done it all before faces and what a nightmare that was. Pinups are not show me everything now its sort of like a wait till you get home sort of image?
Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Aug 23 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I have been trying for over a year to find models of color to do some images recalling the ww2 pinups. No luck yet. Most women of color I have spoken to dont seem interested in this style of image. A shame really as I have some really great ideas. Also it takes the right model to make the image work, there has to be a certain innocense in the look as well as implied lust? I tried with one of the I seen it done it all before faces and what a nightmare that was. Pinups are not show me everything now its sort of like a wait till you get home sort of image?
Anyway thats my 2 cents.

It's too bad we aren't anywhere near each other. I would love to do a pinup shoot...You're right, I have hardly seen any pinup girls of color. It's a little disappointing. I think pinups are way more sexier than any booty shot.

Aug 23 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Hadyn, if you are ever in LA, look me up.  I will be your pin up queen.  If you think I'm good enough that is.  smile

Aug 23 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I'm actually looking to do some pinup images and some 20s-50s hollywood glamour!  I don't see many women of color, atleast on this site, that engage in those types of imagery.

Aug 23 06 10:40 pm Link

Model

ItezeruM

Mission Viejo, California, US

wow. I was reading your post thinking...how ironic is it that I've been looking for a photographer WILLING to shoot in pin up fashion for me?
Typical pin up is creamy pale skin, and I obviously DON'T have that. It would be awesome if someone were to help me out here! smile

Aug 23 06 10:42 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Gianna Bella wrote:
wow. I was reading your post thinking...how ironic is it that I've been looking for a photographer WILLING to shoot in pin up fashion for me?
Typical pin up is creamy pale skin, and I obviously DON'T have that. It would be awesome if someone were to help me out here! smile

I KNOW!!!! It's amazing that more women of color don't do it. To me, Pinups are the ultimate sex symbols while still being classy. I absolutely love them. My friend does pinup work and I have the biggest girl crush on her. I would love to be able to capture that look in some photos myself.

Aug 23 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

I've seen some but don't know the names, and it really was more 60's, 70's style than the old pinup of the 40's or 50's.

I did my first attempt at pin up amonth or so ago, but haven't really worked the images yet.  Not real happy with them.  You really need the right outfits, MUA to pull it off.  Maybe I'll post one or two if I have time to work the shots.

Its is a style that several folks on here do well, just do a search of the forums and I'm sure you'll fine them.

Aug 23 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Sadly "WE" often limit ourselves and put ourselves in urban boxes.. just finding black women who will do anything beyond cheesecake glamour is hard enough.. finding ART models is like the proverbial needle in the haystack..

If your friend does it, contact her photogs and put yourself out there.. I would luv to see it myself.. I like to see "US" represented in as many various ways as there are to be represented..

Black people are NOT monolithic, though our behavior and choices often speaks differently.. So make the effort to make it happen.. So someone can point to YOU and say "Hey I know one, her name is... "

Aug 23 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

George Hurrell did a photo of Anna Mae Wong that is stunning! I would love to try that look with a darker complexion woman.

Aug 23 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

um, what about Rita Hayworth, born as Margarita Carmen Cansino?

Aug 23 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

and what about Josephine Baker?

Aug 23 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
um, what about Rita Hayworth, born as Margarita Carmen Cansino?

Hayworth had red hair and dark eyes. Sometimes her eyes look blue sometimes medium brown. Her parents were Spanish and her ancestors were Goths.

https://www.geocities.com/classicmoviestar/rita1.jpg
https://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Movie/rita-screenland08.JPG
https://mitglied.lycos.de/Erythris/Feuerlocke/Rita.jpg
https://glamournet.com/legends/Rita/color/rh-bd-1.jpg
Dorothy Dandridge!!! Halle Berry is almost as beautiful but no where near as talented. Dandridge was a Great singer too:
https://photo.box.sk/design/halsman006.jpg
https://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue9902/images/Clark33_728231a.JPG
https://www.biography.com/biography/images/episode_images/Dorothy_Dandridge_320X240.jpg

How about "The Black Garbo" Nina Mae McKinney?
https://www.doctormacro.com/Images/McKinney,%20Nina%20Mae/Annex/Annex%20-%20McKinney,%20Nina%20Mae_01.jpg

Aug 23 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Gianna Bella wrote:

Hell     I'd love to shoot some Pin Up Style but no one wants to drive all the way out here to the River to shoot (Colorado River  - Laughlin Nevada  - area) unless that are coming out here anyway for some other reason. Or for extraordinary amounts of travel pay

Aug 24 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Le Beck Photography wrote:

Hayworth had red hair and dark eyes. Sometimes her eyes look blue sometimes medium brown. Her parents were Spanish and her ancestors were Goths.

https://www.geocities.com/classicmoviestar/rita1.jpg
https://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Movie/rita-screenland08.JPG

Rita's hair was dyed red and she underwent extensive electrolysis to remove her widow's peak and make her look more "white."

Aug 24 06 12:06 am Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

Ooh , I would love to do something pin-up style with a great photographer!

Aug 24 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

I'd add Lynda Carter and Raquel Welch as well.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Raquel_welch_1millionyearsbc.jpg

Aug 24 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

KM von Seidl wrote:
Rita's hair was dyed red and she underwent extensive electrolysis to remove her widow's peak and make her look more "white."

I don't doubt it. Virtually none of the blondes or redheads in Hollywood have ever been natural. Kate Hepburn is an exception being the direct descendent of the Scottish Nobleman, James Hepburn 4th Earl of Boswell.

Hayworth was nontheless on her father's side, the descendent of  Visigoths who settled in  Aqiuitane and the Iberian Peninsula in the 5th and 6th centuries and Jews. Her mother, Volga Hayworth (Ziegfeld Follies showgirl), was of Irish and English descent.

Aug 24 06 01:24 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Le Beck Photography wrote:

I don't doubt it. Virtually none of the blondes or redheads in Hollywood have ever been natural. Kate Hepburn is an exception being the direct descendent of the Scottish Nobleman, James Hepburn 4th Earl of Boswell.

Hayworth was nontheless on her father's side, the descendent of  Visigoths who settled in  Aqiuitane and the Iberian Peninsula in the 5th and 6th centuries and Jews. Her mother, Volga Hayworth (Ziegfeld Follies showgirl), was of Irish and English descent.

Thanks everyone.... I've always known of Dorothy Dandirdge and Eartha Kitt... they were sooo fabulous. It just saddens me that more women of color today don't do it. They are more excited about putting their booty out there then exude real sex appeal.

Aug 24 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I put together a shoot for the 9th of September at the studio I work at and we only have three girls coming but I have one girl that is latina, one that's black, and one little pale skinned, blonde girl.They're all gorgeous and Im sure it's going to make these images just great.I would love to see more color in pinup models.

Aug 24 06 03:40 pm Link

Model

Nala Mills

Chicago, Illinois, US

I was thinking about the same thing. I would love to see more women of color doing the pin- up style. I would love to work with a photographer that's in Chicago or close. I want to see the results. They seem like fun.

Aug 24 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Interesting thread.

We do quite a bit of pinup including re-creating the works of Vargas... and if I don't say so myself, we do some pretty classy work (just a little self-gratuitous plug, he-he.)  We also look for Pinup models of color.  So far, we haven't had much luck.

Still looking...

John

Aug 24 06 04:19 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ephotique wrote:
Interesting thread.

We do quite a bit of pinup including re-creating the works of Vargas... and if I don't say so myself, we do some pretty classy work (just a little self-gratuitous plug, he-he.)  We also look for Pinup models of color.  So far, we haven't had much luck.

Still looking...

John

Man, those lucky bitches in California don't know what they are missing out on. If I was out there, I would work with you in a heartbeat!!!

Aug 24 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

I'd love to feature pinups of color on the new site www.pinups4.com (to be launched once my webmaster completes the shopping cart)

all profits go to charity  - and it's a great place to share art!

Aug 25 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Lamonica wrote:

Man, those lucky bitches in California don't know what they are missing out on. If I was out there, I would work with you in a heartbeat!!!

Could you post some of those Vargas style pinups so I could see your work?
I would be very interested.

Aug 25 06 03:50 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nala Mills wrote:
I was thinking about the same thing. I would love to see more women of color doing the pin- up style. I would love to work with a photographer that's in Chicago or close. I want to see the results. They seem like fun.

Hmmmn that would be fun.  That gives me an idea for another project. I'm in Chicago so if I do I take it you will be on board??

Aug 26 06 06:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

If they don't "exist", it has more to do with politics of the world as it was THEN (i.e. you wouldn't see one a la "memphis belle" on the side of a wwII bomber).

HOWEVER... a more accurate AND "existing" approach was along the lines of the images captured of Billie Holiday  (josephine baker's take being similar)

Aug 26 06 06:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

is it "noir" or "cabaret"

been looking around... it's the stylized stuff you see with the ubiquitous "mic" shots
(i.e. what ms. aguilera is now trying to pull off in "ain't no other man")

IDLEWILD!!

Aug 26 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Nala Mills wrote:

If I had the time, we could give it a shot. I'm always up for new types of pics. Maybe after football season, or on a weekend when I have time to do some experimenting. Of course, that would be dependent on if you'd want to shoot with me. LOL

Aug 26 06 09:35 pm Link

Model

Model Lenore

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've been wanting to do pinup work too. Yeah I've seen ads for it but they don't ask for my type. All I get close to that is invites for what I call "booty-girl" work. It's okay if that's what you want to do but I'm not into it. I resently did a lingerie shoot and I was scared to remotely do anything that looks like the back shot thing. I have on photo I have on my ecomp in my profile that looks like a pinup shot and everyone loves it. Pinup is classy, sexy and flirty.  I would love to do a poster series or a calendar like that. It is funny that all of these models had this want to do pinup work.

Sep 06 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

warrenlee

San Francisco, California, US

I just did my first pinup shoot, a couple of weeks ago, so then i put up the link to the inspiration folder its in my blog http://lunchboxphoto.blogspot.com Great place to look for poses but sadly no women of color. Id like to see if I can improve on the last shoot that I did. Any takers?

Sep 06 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

well hopefully some photographer will give us a chance.  I would pay for the session if the photographer would take the request seriously

Sep 07 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I've been trying the same thing with the same luck... or maybe worse because I had 6 shoots in the past 9 months, with black girls, to do pin-up styled images and they all flaked out on me 2 days before their individual shoot... just dropped off the face of the planet and stopped responding to emails and voice messages.

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Sep 07 06 01:04 am Link