Forums > General Industry > Are all 'famous' photographers this catty???

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

The strangest thing just happened to me.  A well known photographer just called my cell phone.

Not too long ago I posted a blog giving all sorts of props to a very well known photographer and I refered people to his website.  There was a short list of links directing people to specific areas of his site.  In an effort to be helpful, I used this list of about 15 or so links to refer people to the specific areas of his site.  They were just links.  Thats it. Not the actual content they were referring to.

Keep in mind that I get several thousand visitors to my blog each week.  I'm sure because of this, he got a little bit of traffic from me.

To my surprise, I got a personal phone call from this photographer to my cell phone this morning:  "Hi Tony.  My name is ___________ the photographer.  You probably recognize my name. ..."  I was pretty pleasantly surprised to get a call from such a great photographer, but then to my astonishiment he went on to completely rip me a new a-hole about my blog referring traffic to his site.  I couldn't believe it.  This guy went through all the trouble of reading through the content of my MySpace profile (he quoted parts of it) and then must have put in a serious bit of effort to research who I was and find my cell phone number to personally call me and bitch me out.   And for what?  For complimenting him and referring traffic to his website.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????

To be fair, his argument was that I was infringing on his copyright by posting the links for his site and I didn't have the right to do it.  However, I pointed out that they were just links to his content and not the content.  It was barely 15 or so links.  Regardless, I sincerely apologized to him and said that I would immediately modify the blog or remove it alltogether and again I mentioned that I was just trying to give him props and refer him traffic.  He went on to imply all sorts of threats to me, including shutting down my site and so on and so forth.  I did what I could to apologize and I immediately modified my blog.

Wow.  I'm flabbergasted.  I'm just little 'ol me.  To have someone of this stature read through all my stuff, and painstakingly research me to find my cell phone number and then call me personally to rip on me - for publically giving him props and referring traffic to his site???  What was that all about???

That's probably the only and last time I will publically give props to a well known photographer.  Geeeeeez.

Aug 23 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont know, I can kinda see it, no offense.  A guy gets into an enviable position, has some cachet value, is a player.  I'm not sure he necessarily wants to associate with people at another level on a myspace page, again no offense to you. 

I'd think its remotely related to a model who wants to trade up in their associations and caliber of work -- when you've reached a certain level you want to project and protect that image and continue working towards a higher level.  Its kind of a step back to appear as if you're connected to someone whose work isnt at your level.

His approach sounded snotty but maybe he's had prior experience and felt he had to come on strong to be taken seriously.  Or maybe he's just a dick.  Could go either way.

Aug 23 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

please, the worst are fashion photographers. little prissies all. closet dwellers all.

but , come on, this business is EGO and vanity.. what do you expect ?

Aug 23 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
please, the worst are fashion photographers. little prissies all. closet dwellers all.

but , come on, this business is EGO and vanity.. what do you expect ?

Maybe just good manners?

Aug 23 06 09:48 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I have had an experience with a WELL known artist out of L.A. (figures)....

Let's just say after a phone conversation of this guy speaking about himself in the 3rd person along with making numerous arrogant statements I decided not to.

On the other hand, I worked with Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell who are far from arrogant and catty.

It depends but if they live in Los Angeles ....  wink

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
I dont know, I can kinda see it, no offense.  A guy gets into an enviable position, has some cachet value, is a player.  I'm not sure he necessarily wants to associate with people at another level on a myspace page, again no offense to you. 

I'd think its remotely related to a model who wants to trade up in their associations and caliber of work -- when you've reached a certain level you want to project and protect that image and continue working towards a higher level.  Its kind of a step back to appear as if you're connected to someone whose work isnt at your level.

His approach sounded snotty but maybe he's had prior experience and felt he had to come on strong to be taken seriously.  Or maybe he's just a dick.  Could go either way.

Dario, what you say makes sense to a degree.  But come on, if you have someone complimenting your work that's all it is.  So this photographer took the time to hunt down one of his "fans" because he didn't like his work?  Nah, personally I think he was just a dick.

Photographer

Chris Photography

Valrico, Florida, US

Sounds to me like the guy is a legend...................in his own mind.

Aug 23 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Yeah he was a dick, but did he want a bunch of people from myspace comin by?

Aug 23 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Colford Studios wrote:
Dario, what you say makes sense to a degree.  But come on, if you have someone complimenting your work that's all it is.  So this photographer took the time to hunt down one of his "fans" because he didn't like his work?  Nah, personally I think he was just a dick.

I agree. I think your analysis was as insightful and in-depth as it needs to be.

OP, don't feel bad. He was just being a dickhead which, from what I understand, is a requirement to succeed in this business.

Aug 23 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

no, most famous photographers are cool....if they feel like you are approaching them at their level. The worst in my experience are the ones who have tasted fame but do not and never will have the ability to truly 'make it' to whereever they want to go. But then again, I am a legend in my own mind and self absorbed, so I tend to be oblivious to these things.

Aug 23 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Consider that since you are also a (lesser known) photographer, he may have felt that through your linking to his site you were inadvertantly trying to coat-tail and make people assume affiliations that don't exist.

You should always ask first.

Aug 23 06 09:59 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
You should always ask first.

Justin, will you shoot me naked? Just asking.

Aug 23 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

I see.

MySpace makes some people jerks.

hmm

I am an ex of MySpace. I am free as a bird.

big_smile

Aug 23 06 10:02 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't like myspace. There is even a term my friends told me about called myspacery, which refers to the drama surrounding being on there. I, like everyone else on the planet, have a profile there, but I think it has had less than 400 views, which is fine by me. I have to go there and read some blogs and respond to some friend requests though, but I keep putting it off.

Aug 23 06 10:04 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

I could be wrong and not up to technology today, but doesn't it cost something for bandwidth? And maybe his servers got glutted up with the extraneous traffic? Or maybe he just felt the type of traffic he was getting wasn't going to do him any good, anyway.

Aug 23 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

I have hundreds of models and photogrphers in my network there.  This guy is trying to sell his books.  So my answer to you would be "Sure.  They are potential buyers."

Aaaah, but screw it.  I deleted the blog altogether.

Aug 23 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you wanna find out how "catty" some of the pros really can be...buy the new American Photo magazine and read the section on "Assistants" and their horror stories working for the pros, including, Annie Liebovitz. Now I know why I will "never" be an assistant.

Aug 23 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lapis wrote:

Justin, will you shoot me naked? Just asking.

Of course I'll shoot you naked, what a silly question big_smile

Aug 23 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

If he didn't, too friggin' bad.  It's the Internet, not a gallery showing where the door guy can decide who gets in and who stays on the sidewalk.  If he wants to control who accesses his website, password protect the content and only give the password to your Cool Friends Club.

The OP simply posted links to a public website and never remotely attempted to claim the works linked were his own.  That's pretty much how the Internet works.  If the uberfamous photographer in question didn't appreciate it, fine - that's his prerogative.  But to verbally assault the OP for "copyright infringement"?  That's  ludicrous - it's a LINK to a public website, not remotely infringement of any sort.  The photographer in question needs to learn a little about technology.

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

It's the whole Myspace stigma. A lot of people don't think highly of Myspace. I'm sure if it was a blog on your personal website or even here on MM, it would be different, cause then you aren't associating anyone with Myspace.

You didn't do anything wrong. Posting links to his site is not copyright infringement. And you took them all down, so he has no argument.

Aug 23 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

i know i am always pleased to find someone attempting to elevate their own reputation by usurping my work or the cache associated with having done what i've done. i'm doubly thrilled to be exposed to the theft-happy, coddled and totally irrelevant audience myspace would afford. but mostly, i like to be kissed first.

Aug 23 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Is posting a link a copyright infringement? Really?

If I'm walking down the street and I overhear two people say they are looking for a good martini, should I go ask my favorite barkeep if it's OK to send them his way?

Agree with the myspace comment, heck, look at mine  http://www.myspace.com/chipmorton
but really, maybe this guy should have a members only site.

Eff him.

Aug 23 06 10:10 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
he sounds like an idiot.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.Photographersportfolio.com
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
http://www.NYPhotographics.com
718 591 1218

Is this permission for us to blog about you on Myspace? Cause, I'll totally do it, yo.

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

That's not a valid statement.
You don't know ALL fashion photographers, therefore your statement has no validity.
Do you practice the art of being offensive just for sake of being offensive?

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

weirdo.....

Aug 23 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Howard Garcia wrote:
You don't know ALL fashion photographers, therefore your statement has no validity.

He didn't mean you- he meant fashion photographers.

Aug 23 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Mayanlee wrote:
I could be wrong and not up to technology today, but doesn't it cost something for bandwidth? And maybe his servers got glutted up with the extraneous traffic? Or maybe he just felt the type of traffic he was getting wasn't going to do him any good, anyway.

I think he just didn't like the "quality" of the traffic he was getting from the links on MySpace. Bandwidth for the most part is cheap and and if he is THAT well known, his servers can handle it. Sounds like "egotistical dickhead" sums it up best.

Aug 23 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Thermogenic Photography wrote:
That's probably the only and last time I will publically give props to a well known photographer.  Geeeeeez.

You can give props to me. big_smile  I don't bitch much.

Oh yeah, still keep ONE of this links.

And then do something like, "If you're interested in good photography from an ASSHOLE SHIT EATING WHORE, click here!"

Aug 23 06 10:15 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

You can give props to me. big_smile  I don't bitch much.

Oh yeah, still keep ONE of this links.

And then do something like, "If you're interested in good photography from an ASSHOLE SHIT EATING WHORE, click here!"

That was brutal.

Aug 23 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

"MySpace stigma"???  That would be the pot calling the kettle black.

I have to tell you, I find just as much drama and far more predatory behavior on other networking sites (I dare not say here).

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Model Sarah wrote:
I have had an experience with a WELL known artist out of L.A. (figures)....

Let's just say after a phone conversation of this guy speaking about himself in the 3rd person along with making numerous arrogant statements I decided not to.

On the other hand, I worked with Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell who are far from arrogant and catty.

epends but if they live in Los Angeleswink

sad

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lapis wrote:
I don't like myspace. There is even a term my friends told me about called myspacery, which refers to the drama surrounding being on there. I, like everyone else on the planet, have a profile there, but I think it has had less than 400 views, which is fine by me. I have to go there and read some blogs and respond to some friend requests though, but I keep putting it off.

You want to see some myspacery? Try dating someone in your top 8 and then changing their position for one reason or another...the torrent of bullshit that ensues is amazing!

About famous photographers being nightmares, there are plenty...at best, you'll get "quirky"...I know a lot of assistants in the city...occasionally you'll hear a story about someone being benevolent, but most photographers know that they are training people who will eventually compete with them and steal clients...

Aug 23 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
That was brutal.

But a good idea!!!

Justin N Lane wrote:
You want to see some myspacery? Try dating someone in your top 8 and then changing their position for one reason or another...

Now THAT is a modern problem!

Aug 23 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Who cares where people come from.  Isn't it about the money?

I suspect, however, the traffic was high enough that it was COSTING him more money than what he wanted to spend on his website.  And that is probably why he was crying and moaning...

But, there is a better way to go about...

"hey man, love the props.  I really appreciate it. However, could you remove the links. I know this sounds lame, but the traffic that is getting directed to my site increased the bandwidth to levels that I really can't afford.  Thanks, appreciate it man!  Keep showin' the love...but without the links."

Aug 23 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Miss Nicole

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Hell no. My boyfriend is in a Grammy award winning band, so I spend time with several very well known rock photographers and NONE of those guys would be so petty or even spend the time to track you down. Most of them would be appreciative and flattered. At the VERY least you might get a brief email asking you to "cease and desist." The guy sounds like a total bitch to me. His work is probably the best thing about him.

Aug 23 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Miss Nicole wrote:
Hell no. My boyfriend is in a Grammy award winning band, so I spend time with several very well known rock photographers and NONE of those guys would be so petty or even spend the time to track you down. Most of them would be appreciative and flattered. At the VERY least you might get a brief email asking you to "cease and desist." The guy sounds like a total bitch to me. His work is probably the best thing about him.

Slipknot?

big_smile

Aug 23 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Lapis wrote:
no, most famous photographers are cool....if they feel like you are approaching them at their level.

That is actually funny.

Aug 23 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Howard Garcia wrote:

especially those touchy sensitve NY ego driven photographers.  geez what atttitude !

Photographer

Mortonovich

DigitalCMH wrote:
But, there is a better way to go about...

"hey man, love the props.  I really appreciate it. However, could you remove the links. I know this sounds lame, but the traffic that is getting directed to my site increased the bandwidth to levels that I really can't afford.  Thanks, appreciate it man!  Keep showin' the love...but without the links."

EXACTLY!