Forums > General Industry > Momma doesn't like the shots!!

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

It was a business decision.  Give away a 10 cent candle and insert themselves as a great business into your psyche.  Look how effective their 10c investment was.

It was far more than 10 cents, even in Canadian funds, however...  if you wanna look at it from a business decision (which I'm sure the OP didn't) then why doesn't your statement apply to the OP's situation.

Aug 20 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:

You really gotta start reading more closely.  I'm not the OP.  smile

Um yeah... this has been covered. Sorry I'm not perfect.

wink

Aug 20 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I've had models call & politely request I take down certain images, but never all of them.  I have one model who's doing work her pics would interfer with & she's asked me to hold some of them for a certain nmuber of years, and another who's asked me not to use certain shots on the net.  In all of these cases they've asked me directly & politely and given me good reasons not to use them & never asked me to stop using all of them.  So I've been responsive.
On the other hand, I've had a crazy BF call & threaten to kill me.  I still use the picutres & I had fun tesifying at his trial  smile

Aug 20 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:

It was far more than 10 cents, even in Canadian funds, however...  if you wanna look at it from a business decision (which I'm sure the OP didn't) then why doesn't your statement apply to the OP's situation.

Because they werent buying those shots from him in the first place.  All he had of value and was likely to get of value were the shots and the ability to use them for self promotion purposes.

Aug 20 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
So exactly what moral principle are you referring to?

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
Do unto others...

I once bought a candle for my wife (she likes 'em).  As I left the store, and was heading across the parking lot to my car, I dropped and ruined it.  I was reluctant to go back inside because I knew the store had no legal reason to help me.  However, I went in and explained what happened.  I was told to go take another one.  Nice of them to do that for me, when they didn't have to legally, eh?

Nice, yes, and good for continued business. Here, the model has shown she's unwilling to stand by her contractual obligations; what continued business is practical?

I'm inclined to go with the mildly non-confrontational approach. Send a bill for services at your normal rate for the images. If they pay, they get the images, and you don't use them; if not, you keep the rights you already have.

Note: I would NOT charge the same as for a full copyright transfer or work for hire, and probably not even "all rights in perpetuity" usage rates, just standard rates--but would make bloody sure the contract specifically limited their possible usage of the images if I did that.

Otherwise, they get your services and image usage for free.

Aug 20 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Pat Thielen wrote:
You kind of set them up that way to either replace it, or not replace it and risk losing a customer.

Nope... actually I didn't.  I explained clearly that I realized it was my fault, and if they couldn't do anything, that would be perfectly fine.  I gave them a very clear indicator that I didn't mind if they said, "To bad so sad."  And I wouldn't have held it against them.  In any case, this was just an example to support my point; don't really need to follow this thread branch.

My point is, there is another angle besides legal and business that can be considered here.  Sadly, most replies indicate there is no merit in the moral one.

Aug 20 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I don't see what everyone is so rattled about. Although the OP doesn't say so, this sounds like a TFCD shoot - I see no mention of money going to the models and no apparent intent to publish the photos for monetary gain. So, by taking them down what is he really out? A couple of hours shooting, a few hours editing? Had he paid the girls a bunch of money and/or had the shoot prevented him from making money due to lost time working with models who would have remained ready to be published, this might be a different story. But it apparently isn't.

I think the OP did both himself and the photographic community a big favor by just chalking this one up as one of those bad days that everyone of us is bound to have at one time or another. Let momma think she won - who cares? Better to move on and not get caught up in the bunch of BS that surely would have followed.

Sometimes it's just wise to pick your battles.

Aug 20 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Put the shots back up then invite their Mommy to try your protein pick up.

Aug 20 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:

Nope... actually I didn't.  I explained clearly that I realized it was my fault, and if they couldn't do anything, that would be perfectly fine.  I gave them a very clear indicator that I didn't mind if they said, "To bad so sad."  And I wouldn't have held it against them.  In any case, this was just an example to support my point; don't really need to follow this thread branch.

My point is, there is another angle besides legal and business that can be considered here.  Yet most replies indicate there is no merit in the moral one.

There is a moral angle to this situation, that is true, but I think some people have it backwards. Why is it "morally" right for the photographer to "do the right thing" and remove his work and not be able to use it because of an over-zealous parent? Isn't it also morally right for the models to honor the release (contract) they signed? Isn't it also morally justified for them to keep the drama of their household away from the photographer who has nothing to do with it and did nothing wrong? It seems the "morally" right thing typically involves the photographer removing the images, when the real moral thing to do would be for the models to honor the contract and deal with their mom without bringing him into it.

It's actually similar to you bringing the candle you broke back into the store. While you didn't make any demands, nor ask anything of them, you did bring it up to them and say "look, I broke the candle." The clerks have a choice: They can either give you a new one, or they can tell you to go buy one. In a retail store, which do you think they're going to do? They're going to give you a free one so as to not risk annoying you and possibly cost them a customer. In the case of the candle, it would have been better for you to simply not involve them in your accident and simply buy a new one. In the case of the models, they could have simply told their mom that they signed a release, they liked the photos, and they saw nothing wrong with them. But they chose to involve the photographer, who then did what mom wanted and removed the photos.

The lines of morality get blurry very quickly.

-P-

Aug 20 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Isaac Photography

Conyers, Georgia, US

megafunk wrote:
Put the shots back up then invite their Mommy to try your protein pick up.

Yes!!!  Lol...

Aug 20 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Adams Photography

Eufaula, Alabama, US

I'd tell mom to shut up and the girls to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. Tuff shit. The boyfriends are always the most comical of them all.

T

Aug 20 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I think you allowed yourself to be bullied by a aggressive mom.  One who has
adult daughters.  In the future don't talk with mom, dad or anyone else besides
the models themselves about your work.  When she called you, you should
have been polite and told her that you were not going to talk with her about
the issue.  If she called again tell her that if she harass you that you will call
the police.  Does mom tell them who to date and what to think?  If so thats
their family and they shouldn't bring their drama to you.  At this point you've
spent time and money to get nothing but a headache.

I'd have to agree with this. As long as the daughter were of legal age dear ol mom can take a leap. Let the daughters deal with her and not waste your time.

Aug 21 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

ok if "mom" buys photos back say 1000$ a pop there where 10 hmmm new camera and lenses come to daddy smile

Aug 21 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
My point is, there is another angle besides legal and business that can be considered here.  Yet most replies indicate there is no merit in the moral one.

Ought To Be Shot ought to get it right.

Pat Thielen wrote:
There is a moral angle to this situation, that is true, but I think some people have it backwards. ..... Isn't it also morally right for the models to honor the release (contract) they signed? Isn't it also morally justified for them to keep the drama of their household away from the photographer who has nothing to do with it and did nothing wrong? It seems the "morally" right thing typically involves the photographer removing the images, when the real moral thing to do would be for the models to honor the contract and deal with their mom without bringing him into it.

....In the case of the models, they could have simply told their mom that they signed a release, they liked the photos, and they saw nothing wrong with them. But they chose to involve the photographer, who then did what mom wanted and removed the photos.

I completely agree with Pat. To think it is morally "right" for the photographer to simply do away with the offending photos is chauvinistic and paternalistic. What is moral is for people to be responsible for their own behavior and to be or become mature adults. That means living up to your agreements and if it becomes painful to do that, then learn from that experience. The model needs to learn how to be an adult and not to try and have her mother steal the images from the photographer. They are the property of the photographer. I think it would be helpful to the Mother for the photographer to offer the photos at a price so she learns she can not bully others into submission. This alone is generous on the part of the photographer and isn't simply caving into this bullying and reinforcing inappropriate social behavior.

What I find amusing about those who advocate caving in is that I doubt that anyone would expect such a thing to happen with other agreements. Let's say you buy a car, use it, enjoy it, and then find that the wife hates it. So the wife calls the dealer and says, "Hey, you need to come get this thing and we're not going to be out anything for the use of it and the inconvience." You'ld find yourself in court. Because it's wrong. It's not moral to pull shit like that.

It makes no difference that it was TFP. The photographer still has rights and the model has still signed onto an agreement. To think otherwise is to get it backwards. And it's not the moral highground. It's simply inappropriate, chauvinistic and paternalistic and does not support the young model becoming an adult and reinforces bullying behavior on the part of the mother.

Aug 21 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

i would make any decisions based on the value of the picture(s) to you. if, in the set of pictures u took, there is a real career elevating picture, then post it. i would say these silly cows and their mum should be very happy with any result that sees most of thr pictures un-used, except for one or 2 that u are really keen on using. u have done everything right at this point, and if you are prepared to give something to them by way of a compromise, then they should also be willing to do so.  i would also stand behind any calls for you to be reimbursed fully for the cost of the shoot. dont cave in to anyones pressure, atleast not to their every demand, make sure u are left with something.

Aug 21 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I think you allowed yourself to be bullied by a aggressive mom.  One who has adult daughters.  In the future don't talk with mom, dad or anyone else besides the models themselves about your work.  When she called you, you should
have been polite and told her that you were not going to talk with her about
the issue.  If she called again tell her that if she harass you that you will call
the police.  Does mom tell them who to date and what to think?  If so thats
their family and they shouldn't bring their drama to you.  At this point you've
spent time and money to get nothing but a headache.

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I'd have to agree with this. As long as the daughter were of legal age dear ol mom can take a leap. Let the daughters deal with her and not waste your time.

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
Please read posts more closely.  I said "model's request".

Pat Thielen wrote:
So mom had nothing to do with you taking down the images? The request may have come from the models but we all know it was instigated by mom. If she doesn't like them she can pay for them. This is just another version of the "jealous boyfriend" scenario, and it shouldn't be encouraged. They signed a release, you photographed their licenses, they were happy with the shots. Mom didn't like them and you took them down. Whatever...

There is actually a broad [legal] answer to mom [and boyfriends] in terms of business law in this kind of circumstance where even, after moma [or boyfriend], the model's request, itself, not to further use the shots becomes suspect:

The Restatement (Second) of Torts § 766A and B

Tortious Interference with a Business Relationship.

A person whose conduct deprives another of an economic relationship he or she might otherwise have received may be liable for tortious interference with a business relationship, often referred to as tortious interference with a prospective economic advantage. Typically, the essential elements necessary for this type of claim to occur have included:

(1) There was an established business relationship;

(2) The tortfeasor intentionally engaged in acts or conduct designed to interfere with or disrupt this relationship; and

(3) The acts of the defendant, which were designed to interfere with or disrupt this relationship, caused damage to the plaintiff.

I wouldn't worry about her suing you; she should worry about you suing her.

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
There's nothing "moral" about being a chicken-hearted sap.  Basically the OP proved that he's not really a photographer, but just a GWC making us all look bad by kissing up to some silly third party [mom=Sluggo].  I would love for this crazy shrew to call me...My lawyer would be giving her a shoe leather enema as we speak.

When did photographers become such a bunch of wimps?  No wonder people don't respect us.

I'm right there with you Melvin.

Studio36

Aug 21 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Pat Thielen wrote:
There is a moral angle to this situation, that is true, but I think some people have it backwards. Why is it "morally" right for the photographer to "do the right thing" and remove his work and not be able to use it because of an over-zealous parent? Isn't it also morally right for the models to honor the release (contract) they signed? Isn't it also morally justified for them to keep the drama of their household away from the photographer who has nothing to do with it and did nothing wrong? It seems the "morally" right thing typically involves the photographer removing the images, when the real moral thing to do would be for the models to honor the contract and deal with their mom without bringing him into it.

It's actually similar to you bringing the candle you broke back into the store. While you didn't make any demands, nor ask anything of them, you did bring it up to them and say "look, I broke the candle." The clerks have a choice: They can either give you a new one, or they can tell you to go buy one. In a retail store, which do you think they're going to do? They're going to give you a free one so as to not risk annoying you and possibly cost them a customer. In the case of the candle, it would have been better for you to simply not involve them in your accident and simply buy a new one. In the case of the models, they could have simply told their mom that they signed a release, they liked the photos, and they saw nothing wrong with them. But they chose to involve the photographer, who then did what mom wanted and removed the photos.

The lines of morality get blurry very quickly.

-P-

Agreed... good point.

Aug 21 06 04:40 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

J Merrill Images wrote:
I don't see what everyone is so rattled about. Although the OP doesn't say so, this sounds like a TFCD shoot - I see no mention of money going to the models and no apparent intent to publish the photos for monetary gain. So, by taking them down what is he really out? A couple of hours shooting, a few hours editing? Had he paid the girls a bunch of money and/or had the shoot prevented him from making money due to lost time working with models who would have remained ready to be published, this might be a different story. But it apparently isn't.

I think the OP did both himself and the photographic community a big favor by just chalking this one up as one of those bad days that everyone of us is bound to have at one time or another. Let momma think she won - who cares? Better to move on and not get caught up in the bunch of BS that surely would have followed.

Sometimes it's just wise to pick your battles.

Very wise.  And it pays to not to be tempted to let others load your gun for you.

Aug 21 06 04:40 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

i am sorry, but i was just laughing the whole time. i feel bad for you, but i admit the story is very funny... dont you think? i am still laughing... wow... smilesmilesmile

Aug 21 06 05:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is basically why I usually don't work with anyone under 21, period... end of story.  I think if you're going to shoot implied or lingerie shots, it's a good idea to make it 21 and over...and DO check I.D. guys.... or  you might be sitting in some jail for statutory...who knows?  It's just not worth it.

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Happens all the time.  Check past photogs' posts about it.  Basically at 19 and 20 they should be able to make their own decisions, and they did, but they are also most likely still living at home off their parents' dime so that will also make them feel like they are obligated to respect their wishes.  It sucks when models don't take this into account in the first place and then have angry mothers/fathers/husbands/boyfriends/etc. getting in a photographer's face about pics he/she thought he/she was taking in good faith.  It was very nice of you to take the shots down, although many will tell you that legally you might not have had to.  In the future, avoid these models unless you plan to shoot them in a parka.  But not a sexy parka.

Aug 21 06 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Morality ..WHATEVER!

I say the girls and mom need a lesson in life and business..

1. The pictures should go righ tback up.
Folowed by a letter and a copy of the contract.

They either pay..or go away..
This is the best thing you can do for these people. TEACH THEM A LESSON..

Ive had my share of life lessons and I am all the better for it.

Lastly..
As a photographer, I would never be bullied in that situation, REGARDLESS of who asked me to take the photos down.

Dont wanna be a model? Dont friggen shoot.

Wanna be a photgrapher..stand by your work.

PERIOD

Aug 21 06 05:31 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Happens all the time.  Check past photogs' posts about it.  Basically at 19 and 20 they should be able to make their own decisions, and they did, but they are also most likely still living at home off their parents' dime so that will also make them feel like they are obligated to respect their wishes.  It sucks when models don't take this into account in the first place and then have angry mothers/fathers/husbands/boyfriends/etc. getting in a photographer's face about pics he/she thought he/she was taking in good faith.  It was very nice of you to take the shots down, although many will tell you that legally you might not have had to.  In the future, avoid these models unless you plan to shoot them in a parka.  But not a sexy parka.

Nice to see another model have a sense of personal responsibility. Wish other models would take note that there are ramifications to their actions.

Like it or not, right or wrong, the phtographers get dragged into an argument that's not their own but are forced to deal with it anyway. And models get whiny when called "unprofessional"????

The OP has all legal righteousness on his side. That he's a considerate dude makes him a nice guy (or a sap, depending on what side of the fence you're on). His life, his decision.

Feel bad for ya, man ... you can only mitigate your risks just so far ... everything else is just dumb luck.

Aug 21 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

D Freeman

Fresno, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
the dreaded Mama threat!   

wait for the dreaded BF "dont let me come over there " phonecall
and the model
"I changed my mind" phone call

haha.. almost looking forward to that one lol. He'll get the same response anyone else that's threatened me has gotten..

"Come on over anytime.. my gun is always loaded."

Funny.. they never seem to show up...  smile

Aug 21 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

DSmith Photo

Melrose, Iowa, US

I say photoshop them nude and into a compromising shot with some big, fat nude dude.  Then email that one to mama and offer to sell it to her before you post it all over the place.  Could pay for your next set of gear.

Aug 21 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
There's legally right and there's morally right.

The moral thing to do is to insist that people honor their obligations. Teaching people that actions have no consequences, or at least no consequences that a screeching harridan of a mother can't get you out of, is morally wrong.

M

Aug 21 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I had a very similar situation.  After consulting with my lawyer, other photographers, and of course this board I did remove the images temporarely until everyone cooled off and we could discuss the matter as adults.

I then offered "mom" the chance to buy the photo's, Raw files, backup files, and all rights to the photos for $1000 each.  She decided that her daughters honor wasnt worth $3000 and the shots went back up....but NOT on this sight.

The photos were discovered becasue the Model had put them on her MySpace account as well.

Aug 21 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There is another smaller issue, one of what is proper.  I don't think its a smart
ideal to discuss a person bussiness with someone else and that includes
mom, dads and boyfriends.  What if mom demanded the images and the photographer gives them to her and later her daughters claimed thats not what
they wanted.  Because they are adults I'm not sure of what that could mean from
a legal sense.  What troubles me most are those who say that its a moral
thing to do or good bussiness.  Look this is real life folks.  Someone has taken
their time and used their resources to produce something of value.  Melvin got
it right,  Mom deserves a kick where the sun don't shine.

Aug 21 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Isaac Photography

Conyers, Georgia, US

dale99 wrote:
I say photoshop them nude and into a compromising shot with some big, fat nude dude.  Then email that one to mama and offer to sell it to her before you post it all over the place.  Could pay for your next set of gear.

Hmmm...A new camera would be nice!  Lol  smile

Aug 21 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

For whatever its worth ...

In 8 years of doing Tradional Fine Art Figure work (drawings, paintings, sculptures, etc.) & another 4 for Photographic Figure works ....

I've had this exact thing happen about a dozen times or so ....

"WEEEEE !!! That was soo much Fun !!! I absoluetly Love the blahblahblah"

THEN ...

then the always wonderful & inspiring ...

"OH MY GOD!!! You MONSTER !!! Blahblahblah!!!"

=P

And every time I do the exact same thing  ....

I threaten them with bodily harm & pain & they always go away.

Just like that.

& I don't even need a contract or lawer or anything. smile

I'm kidding ... geez .... take a chill pill ....

Nah ... I tell whomever it is that's flippin' out to come over to my home/studio right now & I have em sit down with me over some Tea, Sake' or Chai & then have em go over my works, ALL of em' & whilst doing so - I give em' a big ole phat dose of, as one of my best friends put it ...

"The Jason Show".

And every time the issue is resolved - no problem - pics & Art works are A-Otay, everybodies on the same page ... & 6 of the times that this has gone down ....

Gods honest truth .....

I got "them" to get Nekkid for my Art as well.

Hit em with hardcore Art (& SAKE!!! smile , then try to kill em' with kindness & thoughtfulness....

... & then if those don't work ??? Go caveman on their @ss & then go for wild eyed, bone crushin' threats. big_smile

Mornin's everybody !!! ;-)

J.

Aug 21 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

Oh yeah ... I almost forgot ...

"Make Love not War!!!"

peace ~

J.

Aug 21 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

If you really want to make momma happy you may be in the wrong line of work.
That's her Baby we're talking about.

I mean really,
It's hard to let the little ones spread their wings.
Especially when their actions bring back the perceived stink of shame on the nest.

Puppies, kittens and smiling babies,
are the kind of photos Momma likes.

Aug 21 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

It is a shame the OP was put in this situation. This model can choose to live "momma's" life or she can live her own life. It is hard to let the litle ones spread their wings, but if momma did her job, she will let her grown daughter go out in the world and make her own decisions.

Aug 21 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would put the shots back up and then tell them to go f--k themselves

Aug 21 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

J-waun Photography wrote:
So, I got an interesting phone call today from a mother...Let me backtrack...Last weekend I did a shoot. Two young ladies aged 19 & 20. I had been in communication with one of the girls for a few weeks about the shoot that we did. I even met her about 3 weeks before last weekend so we could get a feel for each other-typical stuff.
     We discussed that we were going to do lingerie, swimsuit, other various articles of clothing, and covered nude...everything was all good. The 2nd girl was all good with it as well.
We did the shoot, everything was great... I had even posted some of the shots on this website (notice I said I "had" posted shots). I had them sign a release saying that they gave me permission to shoot them, and that they were at least 18 yrs of age, and that I could use the photographs to post on various websited like this one. I even took a snapshot of their ID's to furtehr verity. As I edited some of the shots, I would send them to the girls through email...and they absolutey loved them. Said they wanted to get together again and do more...and that they had a 3rd friend that wanted to do some as well.
     So, back to the phone call...apparently some family members had seen some of the shots (one of the girls had put them on MySpace), and everyone was irate. 1st Mom called me and we discussed the matter saying that her daughter should not have entered into any contract, and that she wanted the shots to be taken down (she had not seen the shots yet, but was going by what other people had said about them). About 20 minutes later, the girl calls me saying that she wanted me to take the shots down, and Momma (who was evidently looking at the shots at the time) was cursing her out screaming "Look at this SH*T!!" What were you thinking!! etc...
     I am a nice guy so I did take the shots down...anybody have an experience like this before?

Been There, Done that, experianced it...my mother HATES the fact I shoot, but I am very selective with where I post pictures now...and I have to apologize to one photographer about what happend wit that situation,but luckily he was understanding....but yes, I dont tell my mother *why should I? I'm 21*

Aug 21 06 03:09 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mayanlee wrote:

Nice to see another model have a sense of personal responsibility. Wish other models would take note that there are ramifications to their actions.

Like it or not, right or wrong, the phtographers get dragged into an argument that's not their own but are forced to deal with it anyway. And models get whiny when called "unprofessional"????

The OP has all legal righteousness on his side. That he's a considerate dude makes him a nice guy (or a sap, depending on what side of the fence you're on). His life, his decision.

Feel bad for ya, man ... you can only mitigate your risks just so far ... everything else is just dumb luck.

Thanks.  I mean, I started modeling when I was still living at home and you can tell by my pics that I haven't been shooting in parkas.  My mother and my grandmother have seen my pics and while they weren't thrilled, they would never have dreamed of calling the photog and yelling at him or pressuring me to do so.  I have what you could call a jealous boyfriend, but even he doesn't get all worked up about what he knows is something I'm into.  I hate hearing about these situations because it's so stupid.  Hell, even Rev. Run let his daughter go pose for Maxim.  smile 
Young models need to take the time to think about what they are doing.  If they want to pose half naked, then they should be able to.  They should also be able to deal with the fallout from their family and friends.  If they don't think they can handle that, then they need to figure something else out.  It's that simple.

Aug 21 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Thanks.  I mean, I started modeling when I was still living at home and you can tell by my pics that I haven't been shooting in parkas.  My mother and my grandmother have seen my pics and while they weren't thrilled, they would never have dreamed of calling the photog and yelling at him or pressuring me to do so.  I have what you could call a jealous boyfriend, but even he doesn't get all worked up about what he knows is something I'm into.  I hate hearing about these situations because it's so stupid.  Hell, even Rev. Run let his daughter go pose for Maxim.  smile 
Young models need to take the time to think about what they are doing.  If they want to pose half naked, then they should be able to.  They should also be able to deal with the fallout from their family and friends.  If they don't think they can handle that, then they need to figure something else out.  It's that simple.

Half?
What if they want to pose ALL naked??
Are the rules different then?

Aug 21 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Half?
What if they want to pose ALL naked??
Are the rules different then?

Oh, I was just referring to the original situation.  smile  The rules don't change if they wanna be all naked.  In fact there should be less rules for nudity since there are less clothes.  smile

Aug 21 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

J-waun Photography wrote:
So, I got an interesting phone call today from a mother...Let me backtrack...Last weekend I did a shoot. Two young ladies aged 19 & 20. I had been in communication with one of the girls for a few weeks about the shoot that we did. I even met her about 3 weeks before last weekend so we could get a feel for each other-typical stuff.
     We discussed that we were going to do lingerie, swimsuit, other various articles of clothing, and covered nude...everything was all good. The 2nd girl was all good with it as well.
We did the shoot, everything was great... I had even posted some of the shots on this website (notice I said I "had" posted shots). I had them sign a release saying that they gave me permission to shoot them, and that they were at least 18 yrs of age, and that I could use the photographs to post on various websited like this one. I even took a snapshot of their ID's to furtehr verity. As I edited some of the shots, I would send them to the girls through email...and they absolutey loved them. Said they wanted to get together again and do more...and that they had a 3rd friend that wanted to do some as well.
     So, back to the phone call...apparently some family members had seen some of the shots (one of the girls had put them on MySpace), and everyone was irate. 1st Mom called me and we discussed the matter saying that her daughter should not have entered into any contract, and that she wanted the shots to be taken down (she had not seen the shots yet, but was going by what other people had said about them). About 20 minutes later, the girl calls me saying that she wanted me to take the shots down, and Momma (who was evidently looking at the shots at the time) was cursing her out screaming "Look at this SH*T!!" What were you thinking!! etc...
     I am a nice guy so I did take the shots down...anybody have an experience like this before?

I tend to make sure that I never shoot anything more "exposing" than shots a model already has posted. I actually had a model who had nude shots on her profile who was going to bring her mother along on the shoot to sit in "chaperone" (which wasn't likely to have any nudity, but some shots in jeans/bra). She's a costume design major; I tend to like working with people who are artists themselves......PS- I'm most likely shooting her wedding next summer.

Honestly I opened this post thinking that it was going to be on the PHOTOGRAPHER'S MOTHER giving him/her flack, as that's the only thing I've had to deal with on a few shots I've taken....LOL....that's another story.....oh, and a few people from my church didn't really like them, but agreed they had artistic merit; in everything I do, I have to justify it with artistry.....

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Aug 21 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Oh, I was just referring to the original situation.  smile  The rules don't change if they wanna be all naked.  In fact there should be less rules for nudity since there are less clothes.  smile

No clothes=no rules ergo no clothes RULES!

Aug 21 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Alicia McReynolds

Houston, Texas, US

My parents came UNGLUED when they came across my first topless shots. I got lectured for a long time about how they will come back to haunt me. (I was 19 at the time) as they lectured, they remembered that I was an adult and they have had questionable pics of their own come to light without negative reprecussions.

yes they were mad, yes I was living at home, but they remembered that I was legally and adult an dropped the matter. They stayed mad at me for quite some time, but they dropped it without going to anyone else but me.

Aug 21 06 05:41 pm Link