Forums > General Industry > TRESPASSING (to get that perfect shot)

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Doug Lester wrote:
About 12 or so years ago, a photographer in Atlanta took a model into an abandoned factory for a shoot. Apparently both thought it was exciting until a metal stairway collapsed with the model going up. She broke her leg.  Guess who had to be sued to cover the medical bills?

Sued because no one had medical coverage for the model while on the shoot?

I shudder at the thought of 1. Me putting anyone else in danger 2. Having them get hurt just to take a picture 3. Having them get hurt and my insurance doesn't cover her medical because we were trespassing.

Preventable? well duh

Aug 21 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Aug 21 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

I do it pretty regularly, mostly to scout a location.  If the test shots work, then I *might* look into getting permission.  Or not.

I think I'm genetically predisposed to this.  When my dad was stationed in Germany (1965-1967), he had a buddy snap a photo of him standing behind the sign that warned anyone crossing the border into Czechoslovakia would be shot.  He's in full uniform, and in the background there's a machine gun tower, with one large caliber machine gun obviously pointed right at my dad's back.  His excuse - "German beer is a lot stronger than American beer."

Aug 21 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Some trespass because of the thrill of being somewhere they aren't supposed to be. They are known as Urban Explorers. For many of them, photographing their "conquests" is an important but secondary aspect.

Others fall for the "grass is greener" syndrome, where it always seems that the perfect spot is just behind a fence or warning sign.

If a photographer feels the need for the thrill, it should be a solitary adventure. Convincing or tricking a model to come along is inexcusable. Conversely, if the model is the one with thrill-seeking tendancies, they shouldn't try and bring a photographer along.

A responsible photographer knows the value of a safe, reliable, and accessable location. Even if the location is less exciting than one out of reach, better images will result because of there being less stress and worry.

Aug 21 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

rp_photo wrote:
Some trespass because of the thrill of being somewhere they aren't supposed to be. They are known as Urban Explorers. For many of them, photographing their "conquests" is an important but secondary aspect.

Others fall for the "grass is greener" syndrome, where it always seems that the perfect spot is just behind a fence or warning sign.

If a photographer feels the need for the thrill, it should be a solitary adventure. Convincing or tricking a model to come along is inexcusable. Conversely, if the model is the one with thrill-seeking tendancies, they shouldn't try and bring a photographer along.

A responsible photographer knows the value of a safe, reliable, and accessable location. Even if the location is less exciting than one out of reach, better images will result because of there being less stress and worry.

Some of the best pictures in the world involved risk.  Look at the Iwo Jima flag raising picture....if that guy wanted to play it safe and if he stayed at home that photograph would never have been taken.

Aug 21 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

this scarry looking thing is called the gomar explorer, built by howard hughes for the cia, it lifted a soviet sub from the ocean floor off the coast of hawaii..

i was in a funky relationship, got kicked out of the house one night drove around, saw this thing at the same dock in redwood city cal as the stanford university skull team stored it's boats..

since it was dark i didnt see the 'no trespassing' signs, found out later that i broke a ton of laws, and found out from a navy seal that machine guns were probably trained on me the whole time...

luckly i got there at low tide, i walked around the fence and was having a great time with my minolta x-700...

https://lotusimages.com/found%20objects/gomar%20explorer.jpg

these two pictures were taken at jack london's house that burned down..

again, i didnt see any sign that said 'no-tresspassing'

it's very important to look, ignorance of the law is no excuse, if you trespass you cant just say, 'where's the sign and get off..'

https://lotusimages.com/newran/deidre1001a.jpg

https://lotusimages.com/newran/deidre1026a.jpg

one must always obey all laws, we are photographers after all

btw, the gomar is no longer in redwood city

Aug 21 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Afinity

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

DanThePhotoMan wrote:
Am I the only one guilty of ignoring the NO TRESPASSING signs on occasion... *grins*

I did it yesterday for the first time, or was it my first, anyways- the setting was perfect and I didn't get caught-even when myself, my model and her assistant were climbing the fence haha

Fun times!

My favorite outdoor places to shoot are no trespassing! Its awesome to be a female photographer and go to these places with another girl because if the cops come (given no female cops!) they let us stay! As where ive been with male photographers as a model and the cops make us go.

Aug 21 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

J n X Photography wrote:
Some of the best pictures in the world involved risk.  Look at the Iwo Jima flag raising picture....if that guy wanted to play it safe and if he stayed at home that photograph would never have been taken.

bad example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_th … n_Iwo_Jima

Aug 22 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I have to admit... I have, on many occations, gone onto private or govt. property and entered abandoned buildings without permission of the owner. I have rarely been caught and when I leave, there is no trace that I have been there. ie: open gates, litter, damage, etc.

Is this wrong... yeah. Will I do it again... yeah. Will I play stupid when caught saying "Gee, I didn't know this private property"... more than likely.

Aug 22 06 02:38 am Link