Forums > General Industry > Why don't photographers give model photo credit?

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

I've run across several photographers port on MM and none of the models are given credit. I know some are not on MM but I know most are as I have found their profiles. Probably a few models may not want that info giving but I doubt it.

So why don't some photographers want to give the model the credit for the photo?

Aug 18 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I don't know. I've noticed that some models don't give proper credit and the same with MUA/stylists. So it's just laziness is my guess. They don't want to look up the MM# to put in and make it official who worked on the images.

But really it's not right since it's only fair to share who took images of you that you thought were good enough to post on your portfolio.

-- Molly

Aug 18 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Beauty Images

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Lazy, lack of professionalism, no common courtesy. You pick it. Maybe just rude. No other reason I can think of.

Aug 18 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

There's also the chance that the models don't have an on-line profile anywhere as well.  A lot of the models I've been shooting lately are agency models and don't really hang out on MM or OMP or anywhere else.

-PKD

Aug 18 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:
So it's just laziness is my guess.

10 points.

Aug 18 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ian L Sitren

Palm Springs, California, US

I give everyone on my shoots photo credit wherever and whenever I can. I request it on submissions and from clients but obviously do not have as much control in those circumstances. But by example in my own print advertising in magazines, directories and handouts I credit the model, the makeup artist, the ad designer and the location provider.

Ian L. Sitren
SecondFocus
[email protected]
Office 760-992-3163
Cellular 213-712-1929
Website at http://SecondFocus.com
Blog at http://secondfocus.blogspot.com

Aug 18 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Do you think it may be the photographer don't want others to photograph the model? (Photographers aren't jealous are we?)

I contacted one and was told he won't say who the model is or where she is from (not even the state) because...????

Aug 18 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Lazyness - I dont know every girl's ( that i shoot ) mm number.. I dont think of that.. when im shooting or even when i upload.

Besides if someone REALLY likes her she/he can email me and ask.

Aug 18 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Doug Sampson wrote:
Do you think it may be the photographer don't want others to photograph the model? (Photographers aren't jealous are we?)

I contacted one and was told he won't say who the model is or where she is from (not even the state) because...????

That happens, but usually those are the insecure pricks.. total losers LOL is funny... they wont let the girl open her own eyes, cuz she will see the truth and get away.

Aug 18 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I hate when I go to someone's port, model, photographer, whomever, and there is no credit for anyone!  Err, umm, what if I actually wanted to visit the photographer/model/stylists?  There's no link!

Aug 18 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

I try my best to give credit to every MM model that  have pics of on MM, but a few of my pics are from models I got from OMP and have not seen on MM. When I found out one of the models from OMP was on MM, I added her credit line to the pic I had of her on MM.

It doesn't take that long to do, but it does take an extra step of going back to the photo to add the credit I have noticed. It would be better if I could add it on the same pass as the upload information.

Aug 18 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

There are lots of  reasons - besides being lazy.

Most of my models aren't on MM, omp or any public sites. The agencys they're with have their own sites and the only way anyone can book them is through the agency. Others are freelance and don't want to be bothered unless it's with established clients.

But if they are here or on any public site - they are credited.

Aug 18 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

When I joined here and posted my port I made sure to credit each picture of each model who is on this site. I took the time to look them up.
It never occurred to me to do otherwise. Just seems like common courtesy to me.

Aug 18 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Nikki S. wrote:
I hate when I go to someone's port, model, photographer, whomever, and there is no credit for anyone!  Err, umm, what if I actually wanted to visit the photographer/model/stylists?  There's no link!

This reply is for most of the people herein.

A portfolio is not a sourcebook... It is not for advertising other peoples’ work. It is a collection of your work.
(Most models’ online portfolios contain watermarks for copyright protection for the artist; however their print portfolio should bear no visible marking (for the most part))

You are not, in any way, obligated to credit anyone unless you have made an arrangement to do so.
Personally, if a photographer or anyone contacted me to ask for the name of an MUA or stylist I'd give them the name, website, etc. I give people referrals to photographers who do things that I do not (such as weddings, children’s’ portraits, and model work which is outside of my scope).

Models names are kept confidential to everyone except art buyers (who get copies of model releases, etc) for their privacy.
If you don’t like it… Tough. That’s how I do business.
I’m more than sure that there are other photographers out there who share my views but don’t want to get pulled into an argument that has happened many times before.

Aug 18 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
There are lots of  reasons - besides being lazy.

Most of my models aren't on MM, OMP or any public sites. The agencys they're with have their own sites and the only way anyone can book them is through the agency. Others are freelance and don't want to be bothered unless it's with established clients.

But if they are here or on any public site - they are credited.

He did mentioned... BESIDES those girls who are NOT on the site..

Aug 18 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

i credit everyone wherever possible. but it hurts my feelings when people don't credit me back. *cries*

Aug 18 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Yuriy wrote:

A portfolio is not a sourcebook... It is not for advertising other peoples’ work. It is a collection of your work.
(Most models’ online portfolios contain watermarks for copyright protection for the artist; however their print portfolio should bear no visible marking (for the most part))

You are not, in any way, obligated to credit anyone unless you have made an arrangement to do so.
Personally, if a photographer or anyone contacted me to ask for the name of an MUA or stylist I'd give them the name, website, etc. I give people referrals to photographers who do things that I do not (such as weddings, children’s’ portraits, and model work which is outside of my scope).

Models names are kept confidential to everyone except art buyers (who get copies of model releases, etc) for their privacy.
I’m more than sure that there are other photographers out there who share my views but don’t want to get pulled into an argument that has happened many times before.

I'm not saying anyone is obligated I just wonder what the big secret is with some photograpers about the models they shoot. If I see a model I would be interested in providing work for, I would just like to contact her about it.

Aug 18 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Doug Sampson wrote:
I'm not saying anyone is obligated I just wonder what the big secret is with some photograpers about the models they shoot. If I see a model I would be interested in providing work for, I would just like to contact her about it.

I understand, but as an ethical business-person I'm sure you know that in this industry there is a certain degree of privacy when dealing with models.

Also, some people are just very cautious about releasing any information due to the liability they gain if they release someone’s information.

Aug 18 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

The reason I do it is that it is free advertising. FOR ME! If the photographer returns the credit that is one. If there is a MUA and she uses it that is another. If there is another model there is another link. Often times the people I link to will have several photos of me in their portfolio also - more free advertising! Also, I think it gives the impression that the shoot was more professional - I mean if there was a MUA, photographer, producer, hair stylist, and wardrobe stylist than surely this was a big deal?

Aug 18 06 01:00 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Michael Hall

Seattle, Washington, US

As a professional, I'm a firm beliver in giving everyone credit.  Regardless if I have to or not.

If nothing but just out of professional coutesy.  Just personal preference for me.

MH

Aug 18 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Yuriy wrote:

I understand, but as an ethical business-person I'm sure you know that in this industry there is a certain degree of privacy when dealing with models.

Also, some people are just very cautious about releasing any information due to the liability they gain if they release someone’s information.

Right, but if a model is on MM then they're not exactly shy about wanting to have their portfolio shared. That's the whole point of this thing called networking. If a model or make up artist or stylist works with you and they're on MM that means they generally WANT more people to know about their work, not have it hidden. Otherwise, what you write makes perfect sense.

Aug 18 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I dont know if this is why some dont credit others, but it can be an issue.  If a photographer gives credits to the model on the photo and it is a great model, the viewer of the image may click on the photo and go look at more of the model....and never return to the original profile the model was seen in.  This is why some web masters wont put links on websites...afraid that if you click on a link to another site you wont come back and continue looking on the original site.

Aug 18 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

In the spirit of networking, I only put credit links to models that are actually on MM.

If I shoot a model that is not on MM, which is more often then my MM shoots..I will not put thats models name here on MM.

I use MM to network and such, it is hardly the crux of my business. Hell, I could easily have my website linked here as well. I dont bother doing that either.

MM, is a seperate entity.IF you are not on MM, you wont get credit links.

V

Aug 18 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I view a photo credit on a site like this as an endorsement, so I generally make an effort to credit everyone involved. I even requested a way to credit and link to models and MUAs on other popular sites.

Now, if I have a portfolio shot of a model who had a terrible attitude or who flakes out on some future shoot, I lose interest in advertising her to other photographers.

But other than that, the list of models I've worked with is no trade secret that I feel a need to protect, and this is a networking site, not my "real" portfolio.

Aug 18 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

they should be within the restrictions of the system -- as should all individuals involved in the shot.

i would point out that comparitively few models on MM are not credited by their MM photographers. many many models fail to credit anyone, and often fail to properly note the copyright owner - thereby potentially damaging the ability of the holder to protect those rights.

this whole web deal is SO lacking in so many ways. freeforall.

*sigh

Aug 18 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Doug Sampson wrote:
So why don't some photographers want to give the model the credit for the photo?

Because they often just stand there not really doing anything.  Why should they get credit for it?  I'm doing all the hard work. big_smile

Aug 18 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Most of the models on my port are not on MM. Those that are get credits unless I forgot to do it (senile)

Aug 18 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

laziness

some weird creepy type of self importance where photographers want to own "my models" type of crap.

or model isn't a pro or interested but is a friend and shot with a photog friend...

either way, someone deserves something.

Aug 18 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

Mary Domingo

I don't know... that sucks...

Aug 18 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well, most of the ladies on my site are actually not models, so no credit.

Aug 18 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Arobeck

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Yuriy wrote:

I thought it was a rule here to credit people? Am I mistaken, might be another model site that has that rule.  I think it just lazyness and unprofessional for the most part.
On the other hand if I paid the model, then I see no reason to credit someone that has been paid credit?  What goes around comes around, when I take images TFP and a model uses them in her port and doesnt promote my work, I 1: dont recomend her for future projects due her unprofessionalty and 2: remind her of the contract they signed too promote my work.

Aug 18 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Doug Sampson wrote:

My feelings exactly. Some photographers want to keep models for themselves, or they hope another photographer don't show up their work by doing a better job witih the models. It's really silly. I always list credits to models who are here on MM. I know I have even introduced models who I shot with, to MM. Once they sign up, I link their images to their profiles. Look on my profile page, I have a couple there now, with their MM #'s posted. I shares my models.

https://www.tonyculture.com/storage/Portal/tcdp-e.gif

Aug 18 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Arobeck wrote:
I thought it was a rule here to credit people? Am I mistaken, might be another model site that has that rule.  I think it just lazyness and unprofessional for the most part.
On the other hand if I paid the model, then I see no reason to credit someone that has been paid credit?  What goes around comes around, when I take images TFP and a model uses them in her port and doesnt promote my work, I 1: dont recomend her for future projects due her unprofessionalty and 2: remind her of the contract they signed too promote my work.

That's another story.

Aug 18 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Star

I refuse to leave comments on pictures that don't have credits listed. Period.

Aug 18 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Morgan

Santa Monica, California, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:
I don't know. I've noticed that some models don't give proper credit and the same with MUA/stylists. So it's just laziness is my guess. They don't want to look up the MM# to put in and make it official who worked on the images.

But really it's not right since it's only fair to share who took images of you that you thought were good enough to post on your portfolio.

-- Molly

I completely agree, most do it because they're being flat-out lazy! I won't even post a pic without crediting it. It's as simple as copy&paste people ;-)

xoxo, Tiff

Aug 18 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

tripstar

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Ever notice that everyone always assumes the negative instead of considering the positive? That's a little arrogant or pessimistic or a closed mind at work. There are a number of reasons why someone might not be credited. Not on the site, not wanting credit, or simply overlooked  (unintentionally). Mistakes happen, it isn't always a grand conspiracy. But what I see is everyone assuming it is a lazy photographer, or an unethical photographer, or possessive photographer, or a unprofessional photographer. Stop assuming the negative unless you know a situation. Learn the facts and take the high road... ask, learn, and then draw a conclusion.

What about the models that don't credit? Or who list images as under their copyright? Where's the uproar? Where's the angry mob with torches and pitchforks? Doh! Too cute to be nefarious and evil... Let's just burn down the photographer's house for dragging us out her in the rain.

Someone asked me why I didn't give credit to my models once. Which was surprising because I do, when appropriate. But I work with a lot of models not on MM and some not anywhere. So if you want to contact them you'll just have to ask me who they are. I'm not holding them hostage.

Aug 19 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Doug Sampson wrote:

I think what you will find is that new photographers tend to do that more then photographers that have been around for a while. I have asked a few about that issue and they feel the next guy will shoot  " there " model and the model will like the next photographers  work better. It's about being insecure when you are new I think. Also just maybe the photographer may not have had a good shoot with a certain model and does not want the news to get around if people start talking..

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

Aug 19 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

tripstar wrote:
Ever notice that everyone always assumes the negative instead of considering the positive? That's a little arrogant or pessimistic or a closed mind at work. There are a number of reasons why someone might not be credited. Not on the site, not wanting credit, or simply overlooked  (unintentionally). Mistakes happen, it isn't always a grand conspiracy. But what I see is everyone assuming it is a lazy photographer, or an unethical photographer, or possessive photographer, or a unprofessional photographer. Stop assuming the negative unless you know a situation. Learn the facts and take the high road... ask, learn, and then draw a conclusion.

What about the models that don't credit? Or who list images as under their copyright? Where's the uproar? Where's the angry mob with torches and pitchforks? Doh! Too cute to be nefarious and evil... Let's just burn down the photographer's house for dragging us out her in the rain.

Someone asked me why I didn't give credit to my models once. Which was surprising because I do, when appropriate. But I work with a lot of models not on MM and some not anywhere. So if you want to contact them you'll just have to ask me who they are. I'm not holding them hostage.

I have to agree with this guy from my home town.
I have several models in my port. Some are MMers and I've put links to their profiles. Others are not. In fact, most of the models I've worked with are not on MM. One "model" was an old girlfriend who was only interested in modelling for me. Another was a model who has retired and has asked not to have her name/contact info posted.

It does kind of get me, however, when you post a link to the profile of a model you worked with, and they have the same image in theirs, but without a link back to yours.

Aug 19 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Yuriy wrote:

If a model has public profile for the world to see. It's a good guess she wants to find work from the people she has done shoots with. I can see not giving out a persons info if they are not looking to be a model but I think by not giving credit to a model that has an online port you are holding her or him back.

Mike

Aug 19 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

If a model is in my port and on MM i give her number.   other than that i give her name and somtimes omp number in the title.   I will do OMP number in the title more often.

Kevin

Aug 19 06 07:39 am Link