Forums > General Industry > Do you love or hate freckles?

Photographer

Thomas Landon

Aden, Alberta, Canada

Cindil wrote:
I was told by a photographer at a shoot  last week that a lot of photographers consider freckles to be like tattoos, and thus undesirable. And a lot of times they refuse to work with some who has more than a fair amount of the specs.

Though I realize this is (for the most part) true, the thought never occurred in my mind until then. Is it just a standard of beauty issue? Is the ‘generic’ pretty face always going to win out? Do photographers really stay away from someone with ‘unique’ looks?

Except of course when they’re doing ‘character’ studies?

However, my freckles have never gotten in the way of modeling, I’m curious to see if it one day will.

But with people like Lindsey Lohan owning the scene, will that change ?

Hmm must ponder...

I LOVE redheads with freckles! haha i love girls with tattoos also! But the work i do calls for a unique look.. so i guess im not the one to talk to about this smile

Aug 17 06 11:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/tinsycar/devon.jpg

https://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/Glamourpuss15/76788808_f517ac1a52.jpg

Devon Aoki...my favorite freckled Asian!

PS---I got the image from Flickr.com...the user is: coldbloodedqueen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldbloodedqueen/

There's some really neat edits in there.

Aug 17 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

digitalkojak

League City, Texas, US

I think they are fine until you go to black & white, then they become too strong.

Aug 17 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

JAY carreon wrote:
I want to marry a girl with freckles so that I can have kids with freckles!!!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

LOL!
Sorry. The gene pool doesn't quite work that way. Neither my wife nor I have freckles (or red hair) and this is what we got. . .

(He hates his freckles, but I loooooooove them!)

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060120/10/43d1154a1838a.jpg

Aug 17 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aug 17 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Joe Paul Studios wrote:
Freckles = Natural + Pure + Wholesome. Love 'em.

Never looked at it that way myself, but I definately agree. If one on your face is a beauty mark, what does it mean when your covered with 'em?

Aug 17 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I just looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove freckles....

:-)

Aug 17 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Gloomy

Atwater, California, US

Lighthouse Studios wrote:
I LOVE redheads with freckles! haha i love girls with tattoos also! But the work i do calls for a unique look.. so i guess im not the one to talk to about this smile

Well, you're in luck, because I happen to have all three ;D

I actually wish there were more people around willing to shoot the 'unique' look.

Wait, wait... I wish there were more of the BETTER photographers willing to shoot the look.

Yeah..

Aug 17 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Gloomy

Atwater, California, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
Never looked at it that way myself, but I definately agree. If one on your face is a beauty mark, what does it mean when your covered with 'em?

Possibly that you're trying appealing to the societies version of beauty... and too afraid to look different... maybe? Just a thought, lol.

Aug 17 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Talele

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I hate my own but love them on other people.  LOL

Aug 17 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

I have freckles and I love them!! I used to hate them when I was a kid. I always forget I have them but they come out a lot in the summer. Industry pro's always tell me to never try and cover them up cuz it adds to my "unique" face (I'm eurasian like Devon Aoki). I get the freckles from my Irish side and Spanish great grandmother (she was a light skinned hispanic with freckles).

Aug 17 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Maximum Impact

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Cindil wrote:
I was told by a photographer at a shoot  last week that a lot of photographers consider freckles to be like tattoos, and thus undesirable. And a lot of times they refuse to work with some who has more than a fair amount of the specs.

Though I realize this is (for the most part) true, the thought never occurred in my mind until then. Is it just a standard of beauty issue? Is the ‘generic’ pretty face always going to win out? Do photographers really stay away from someone with ‘unique’ looks?

Except of course when they’re doing ‘character’ studies?

However, my freckles have never gotten in the way of modeling, I’m curious to see if it one day will.

But with people like Lindsey Lohan owning the scene, will that change ?

Hmm must ponder...

mmm Well for those that follow High-Fashion imagery one school of thought on this topic can be found in a recent shoot Flemish ... look it up :-)

Aug 17 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Cindil wrote:

Possibly that you're trying appealing to the societies version of beauty... and too afraid to look different... maybe? Just a thought, lol.

Actually, my freckled beauty, the equation "Freckles = Natural + Pure + Wholesome" I thought funny. Redheads with freckles are some of my favorite ideals for beautiful women. I step outside of the plastic beauty that is the normal mode for what I think is beautiful. I looked at your port, and now that I have a studio to play in I'd love to shoot you, for I'm way in need of updating the old crap I have on my page.

Aug 17 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Gloomy

Atwater, California, US

Maximum Impact wrote:

mmm Well for those that follow High-Fashion imagery one school of thought on this topic can be found in a recent shoot Flemish ... look it up :-)

Well, try as I might, I couldnt find anything o_o;

Aug 17 06 12:43 pm Link