Forums > General Industry > Industry people... Why are you here?

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

This is a mock whine thread.  There will be mock cheese given out at the end.

With so many obvious professionals posting all this incredible free advice such as:

- which types of images are worthy of real praise.
- how models should never ask to be paid.
- how the "industry" works in the Real World
- etc..

I have to wonder.  Why do professionals even come here?

I mean, sure.. We have some promising hopefuls.  I honestly believe that with hard work and perserverence Bruce Talbot, Photorat, maybe even Bob Randal might actually achieve some moderate level of success.. (Hell, if he keeps plugging away, maybe even Oldguysrule might get somewhere.. Although, he's been "not quite there" for a LONGGG time!)

But the point is.  Those of you who are already established, hard working professionals..  Why are you here?  MM is obviously beneath your standards..  And with such high standards.. Well, "slumming," is not something you fine folks would do..

So.. I just don't get it?

Can you enlighten us, as you have with your threads on unfit models, myspace accounts, the unprofessionalness of photographers with senses of humor, and so on.  I know we shouldn't be asking for free advice, but this is a matter of some curiosity..

Oops, sorry, looks like I'm out of cheese.

Aug 16 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

it's like the old days from greek and roman mythology, where the gods came down from upon high to kick it with the humans, on account of we're chill and all.

Aug 16 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

It's fun to keep your eyes on the top... And tease the middle.

Aug 16 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Looking for MUA's Stylists and models to work with on Ideas that are not paid for by a client.
Experiment and explore. Moving to NYC in the fall and want solid contacts in that city ahead of time. Also like the other poster said humans are fun to kick it with.

Aug 16 06 10:18 am Link

Model

LRaiyne

Largo, Florida, US

I simply want to comment on all of this...I am a 20 year master hair stylist MUA...and newbie model...and I know so much of the industry and at the same time, I am LEARNING so much!  Now to read all this too, its invigorating!!!

Aug 16 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Before sincere people with good intentions get TOO bent out of shape..

This post was solely to poke fun at those who feel compelled to throw stones at those they feel are beneath them..  While claiming to be more than they are..

The pros tend to be too busy to sit and bitch.. THEY seem to come here for fun..

Other folk seem to actually get useful results out of the place..

But if you're a "pro" and you know how the industry "works".. Then you go to "agencies" to find "models".. And having all these things worked out.. Why does it so bother you what other people do?

That's all..

Have a nice day.

If you're here to poach free talent, fine.. But if you're fishing in the puddle for freebies..  Don't complain if you pull up an occasional tire or shoe..  You're not paying for it.

Aug 16 06 10:27 am Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

WG Rowland wrote:

This post was solely to poke fun at those who feel compelled to throw stones at those they feel are beneath them..  While claiming to be more than they are..

The pros tend to be too busy to sit and bitch.. THEY seem to come here for fun..

Other folk seem to actually get useful results out of the place..

But if you're a "pro" and you know how the industry "works".. Then you go to "agencies" to find "models".. And having all these things worked out.. Why does it so bother you what other people do?

That's all..

Have a nice day.

If you're here to poach free talent, fine.. But if you're fishing in the puddle for freebies..  Don't complain if you pull up an occasional tire or shoe..  You're not paying for it.

AMEN!!
And I also would like to say That I am no tire or shoe!!
I happen to be a boot.  Without a lace.

Aug 16 06 11:03 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I've talked to some old school industry people a few times and one comment I have gotten is they are curious about the new way people are doing things and want to see what all the new buzz is about.

They are also working with models who convince them to join some stay and some leave after a while.

Aug 16 06 11:11 am Link

Model

model 01

I've asked myself that as well.

I know some must have good intentions rather than being here to rain on other people's parades but a lot are outright ridiculous. So you have some AWESOME photos of Justin Timberlake, Andy Dick and Christian Bale *whom I love, woo-woo* in your port, SO!? I get it, you're professional and serious and not open to working with anyone here- not even for money in some cases, which is amazing.

But I can't fault them... stuck up is stuck up, I wouldn't want them to pretend to be interested either. I think the worse thing is when the good photographers who aren't professional yet jump on that stuck up bandwagon even though the bottom half of their bodies are dragging off the back.

Ugh, and it doesn't just apply to photographers either- heaven help everyone when the judgemental MUA has something to say about how they will not work with nor communicate with anyone who has bad skin! I thought the whole purpose of make up was to cover over flaws to create a smooth appearance. And if there aren't any flaws, enhance an already spotless face. I guess not everyone can work a concealer without complaint like Bobbi Brown!

Aug 16 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ravenia wrote:
I've asked myself that as well.

I know some must have good intentions rather than being here to rain on other people's parades but a lot are outright ridiculous. So you have some AWESOME photos of Justin Timberlake, Andy Dick and Christian Bale *whom I love, woo-woo* in your port, SO!? I get it, you're professional and serious and not open to working with anyone here- not even for money in some cases, which is amazing.

But I can't fault them... stuck up is stuck up, I wouldn't want them to pretend to be interested either. I think the worse thing is when the good photographers who aren't professional yet jump on that stuck up bandwagon even though the bottom half of their bodies are dragging off the back.

Ugh, and it doesn't just apply to photographers either- heaven help everyone when the judgemental MUA has something to say about how they will not work with nor communicate with anyone who has bad skin! I thought the whole purpose of make up was to cover over flaws to create a smooth appearance. And if there aren't any flaws, enhance an already spotless face. I guess not everyone can work a concealer without complaint like Bobbi Brown!

Look at the ports of the ones posting this stuff..

It's not a perfect corrolary.. But, a lot of em aren't that good..

Aug 16 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Giggles and grins.

Aug 16 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
I have to wonder.  Why do professionals even come here?

im not sure if u are just posting this to see who thinks they are cool enoughh to consider themselves 'pros' and 'in the industry'?.......but all im gonna tell you are the reasons im here.

there are quite a few actually......booking models has never been one of them, but in saying that there are quite a few nice models on here....so, who knows what might happen there?

anyway, one reason is that i consider MM as much (or more) a site for photographers as for models.....and as im definitly a photographer, i think its cool to find a site filled with other photographers!
another is that despite my experience, i dont think of myself that differently to lots of folks on here..... i have as much enthusiasm and love for photography now as what i did when i first started, which is what i can see in so many others on here, and the only difference is the years behind the lens and the experience ive gained putting myself out there in the world and giving it a go, but apart from that we are all in the same shoes....

also its a little bit that i love teaching too, not coz i think i know it all, i definitly dont, but i have a pretty simple philosophy about photography, and sometimes its good for people starting out to know that it doesnt have to be that hard to succeed.......so i constantly help out people who write to me (which a pretty long list of people can verify), and im very happy to help them, i enjoy it.

the other main reason is, i have some good freinds who congregate in the shoutbox, and to know i can stop retouching for 5 mins and catch up and talk shit with freinds without even leaving my screen is great wink

Aug 16 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

....Because life is like a box of chocolates....you neva know whatcha gonna get....

Aug 16 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Stop being an idiot....read my bio...I have many fans and talented artists who have relied on my advice and my abilitly to share.  Think how many want to be photographers, but who never had the chance to be properly educated in an art school.  Do you want to call in Bottom Feeding as I had once read...I like to think I can make a difference with my talents.  I had much help when I was younger and if someone like myself who has been given a talent, then there is a responsibiltiy to go with that.  Very few get it and if you ever had the chance to work with famous photographers as I have, you'll notice how many A-holes there are out there.  I am not one of those shooters.  So the next time you want to bag a pro, and one who finds that a site like MM opens the world to him...think next time.  One day you may be in my shoes and find the enjoyment and the necessity to be part of a site like this.  Or maybe your just one of those others....

Take care,
Pixel Fisher.

Aug 16 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Interestingly, I have found that most of the folks with serious "industry" experience are the same folks who are on here sharing and teaching and giving back to the community whenever possible.  All of the people WG mentioned, for example.  TX, of course.  Sean Armenta is forever answering questions and offering his experience to other photographers.  The list goes on and on.

That's a lot of what I like about this site.  If you are willing to sift a little bit through some of the egos, there are a tremendous number of gems to be found here.

Aug 16 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Actually I created this post to get a dig in at the all too common practice of people who create MM accounts..  And introduce themselves by pointing out how they are great, MM is terrible, and how they would never use anyone from here (or the 100 or so variations on this theme..)

If, you haven't done that....

I'm probably not talking about you..

But I also like to walk around conventions and gatherings of people wearing a t-shirt that says "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.." 

Do I mean anything by it?  No..  But you can usually judge a person's confidence by how they react to it..

Aug 16 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

model 01

WG Rowland wrote:
But I also like to walk around conventions and gatherings of people wearing a t-shirt that says "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.."

I don't normally say this as it is a very simplistic way of saying "this is funny, I like this, please do continue to make me laugh" but...

LOL.

Aug 16 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ravenia wrote:

I don't normally say this as it is a very simplistic way of saying "this is funny, I like this, please do continue to make me laugh" but...

LOL.

I almost got beaten up by a mob of angry girls in loincloths at the last Ren Faire I went to..

Aug 16 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I think most the industry people are working right now, lol.

The thing I find interesting about the industry folks (photographers) is how much ranking there is within the industry as well.  the different branches and even within certain genres, such as, let's say fashion.  photographer X holds themself out as joe agency guy but photographer Y tells how the agencies won't let photographer X within 10 feet of the girls anymore.   And then photographer B boasts of all his fashion tears and how he's such a hot property and then photographer G (the quiet one) laughs and points out that those are regional publications not from france or italia, which he has but doesn't have to boast about, they're just there.

but let's be real.  EVERYONE  (pro or not) is looking out for talent on MM that can be fun to play with for indep projects or as well as to work with professionally.

Lastly, as a rank amateur, I have also found that the most gracious industry photographers) tend to also be the ones highest up on the food chain.

ps--I haven't been there for a while, but Fashion only Forum also had a good mix of insiders/notanymorebutusedtobeinsiders vs. aspirings, and it was a helpful group.  That's where I first met a number of people now on MM.

Aug 16 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

model 01

WG Rowland wrote:
I almost got beaten up by a mob of angry girls in loincloths at the last Ren Faire I went to..

I can't see why they'd want to beat up someone with such smart, sharp wit... someone who could have you giggling about something intended to make a buffoon of you- it just doesn't make sense.

I couldn't bring myself to want to harm you with such a cute puppy as an avatar, aww!

Aug 16 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

WG Rowland wrote:
I honestly believe that with hard work and perserverence Bruce Talbot... might actually achieve some moderate level of success...

::Gasp!!::

You did not just take Bruce Talbot's name in vain?!  He's the star of his own video, you know...  no, not that kind of video (what a bunch of perverts), he was on the news. 

Or was it an afterschool special?

Aug 16 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

::Gasp!!::

You did not just take Bruce Talbot's name in vain?!  He's the star of his own video, you know...  no, not that kind of video (what a bunch of perverts), he was on the news. 

Or was it an afterschool special?

Pfft.. I can outrun Talbot..  It's the caning I've got coming from Oldguysrule that has me worried..

I hear he's spry..

Aug 16 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Guess the industry folks are still working.....

Aug 16 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Guess the industry folks are still working.....

Sometimes you have to knock REALLY hard on the bottom of the ladder for the vibrations to reach all the way to the top..

It's called Reaganomics or something..

Aug 16 06 05:06 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Industry? What industry? I'm just here for the free drugs.

Aug 16 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

WG Rowland wrote:

Sometimes you have to knock REALLY hard on the bottom of the ladder for the vibrations to reach all the way to the top..

It's called Reaganomics or something..

I thought Reaganomics was the "tinkle down theory."

Aug 16 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

I thought Reaganomics was the "tinkle down theory."

Would explain why my hair's sticky..

Aug 16 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....... thunk.

tongue

bt

Aug 16 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

WG Rowland wrote:

Would explain why my hair's sticky..

It wasn't something about Mary?

Aug 16 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I don't know any Mary's

Aug 16 06 05:16 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I wonder the same thing all the time.They like to put others down for whatever reason but if they're so high and mighty then wouldnt they have such a busy schedule that they wouldnt have the time to be here? Let alone post in forums as often as they do.I work at a small studio and the photographer I work for is not booked all day every day but still, he doesnt have the time to post in forums for portfolio sites.Makes you wonder.

Aug 16 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

WG Rowland wrote:
I don't know any Mary's

Something about EMB?

Aug 16 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

goodness i'm here? 0.0

Aug 16 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Oh, cheesits, da cops!

*runs*

Aug 16 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:

This post was solely to poke fun at those who feel compelled to throw stones at those they feel are beneath them..  W

Your poking is pretty appropriate here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=69118

Aug 16 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
I wonder the same thing all the time.They like to put others down for whatever reason but if they're so high and mighty then wouldnt they have such a busy schedule that they wouldnt have the time to be here? Let alone post in forums as often as they do.I work at a small studio and the photographer I work for is not booked all day every day but still, he doesnt have the time to post in forums for portfolio sites.Makes you wonder.

You are a rational and eloquent person and you've come to a logical conclusion regarding me. I shall quit posting because I am wasting too much time and all my Global Fortune 1000 clients are demanding I pay attention to them. I care not a whit about them because I know I can never be replaced due to the fact I am high and almighty. Good bye forever!

Aug 16 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm here to check out portfolios of people who aren't limited to, and used to, the restrictions and limitations of the so-called "industry". There is some truly atounding and completely out of the box work on this board being done by folks who couldn't be further from the "industry".

That, and to screw with Bob Randall.

Aug 16 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Black Ricco wrote:
I'm here to check out portfolios of people who aren't limited to, and used to, the restrictions and limitations of the so-called "industry". There is some truly atounding and completely out of the box work on this board being done by folks who couldn't be further from the "industry".

That, and to screw with Bob Randall.

You guys are lovers, right?

Aug 16 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

You are a rational and eloquent person and you've come to a logical conclusion regarding me. I shall quit posting because I am wasting too much time and all my Global Fortune 1000 clients are demanding I pay attention to them. I care not a whit about them because I know I can never be replaced due to the fact I am high and almighty. Good bye forever!

blah blah blah.The End.

Aug 16 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

ModelMayhem: 100,000 Monkeys in Blindfolds CAN'T Be Wrong!

Aug 16 06 05:30 pm Link