Forums > General Industry > Industry people... Why are you here?

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
ModelMayhem: 100,000 Monkeys in Blindfolds CAN'T Be Wrong!

What about spanked monkeys?

Aug 16 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:

HAHA!!  I was two FFox tabs away from:
ModelMayhem: Helping the world resolve it's differences through peace, understanding and a gentle hand.

Aug 16 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

WG Rowland wrote:

kinky!

Aug 16 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You guys are lovers, right?

Shhhhhhhhhhh... I gotta rep to think about.

Aug 16 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Black Ricco wrote:
You guys are lovers, right?

Shhhhhhhhhhh... I gotta rep to think about.

Yep, this gets out and you're instantly a dem..

(Oh, now that would be funny..)

Aug 16 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

WG Rowland wrote:

(Oh, now that would be funny..)

lmfao!

Aug 16 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Libertarian, maybe... a dem... NEVER!

Aug 16 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

Industry.  Y'mean like the way the cover shooter for Men's Health gets a little more than the office manager and on a contract under review for renewal semi-annually? 

Here today, gone tomorrow.

No, wait.  I've got another one.  Maybe I'll get the cover of the color supplement to the New York Times for $1000 or freelance a shot into The Philadelphia Inquirer for $100.  Once.  Yeah, that'll cover costs.

Why come here?  Well, as I consider it, a modeling agency is a temp agency.  Shall I count the times I've heard, "I'm listed with the such-and-such agency" only to get shoe staring when I ask what work they get?  Maybe they'll answer, "Well, I've done Milan."  Yeah.  Two years ago.  I've heard that one half a dozen times.  It's not to say they don't do good work.  It's just that the business is irregular.

It cuts down my costs by eliminating the middle man.  If the client wants to pay for an agency and organize everything else up so all I've got to do is to press the button, let him.  But, it doesn't always work out that way.

(Oh Shit!  I should've said that all models work for free.  No, really.... Please.  Work for free.  :->)

Aug 16 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I been surviving for over 20 years in the business so I guess I qualify as a working pro.

The reason I am on mm is multi fold.  I believe that the best photographers are the advanced amateurs.  Those photographers have the freedom to “play”, experiment and see the world differently.  As much as we would like to brag about shooting for the big the clients…most don’t allow you the creativity we would like to express. Also most art directors are young and just out of school and see the world in today’s terms like a lot of MM photographers. So to me MM is a tremendous source of visual ideas. I too have read the negative comments by the so-called pros and I think it comes from the arrogance of some of the new photographers on MM.  The old pros have spent 100’s of thousands of dollars to get where they are.  Now someone can buy a digital camera and a computer and hang out a shingle.  The pros believe that the newbie’s have or are  not willing to pay their dues.  Last week I was teaching a class and was showing a woman how to shoot in studio.  This was her first lesson with studio strobes. (No experience beside program mode on location either)  Half way through the class she says that she thinks now she can start charging models to shoot.  Got to admit I was insulted that she thinks this job is so easy.  When I teach beginning models and photographers I ask them to name another career where you can buy a tool and profess you are a pro.  You can’t buy a wrench and call yourself a plumber!!!!

Billy

Aug 16 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Hey thanks for the notes.

I agree that a lot of people are buying cameras and shooting on auto mode and trying to charge clients, I get at least one or two emails a month from these guys saying I need to pay them to build my portfolio  yada yada yada....
If I want to hire a photographer to build my portfolio I'll let him/her know.

Photography is more of an art form than plumbing and in the same breath that a lot of these industry pros say they have paid their dues and buoight thousands of dollars in equipment, they are soo very quick to remind  me that they started shooting before I was born they had their first job at 15 or 16, or they opened a small studio with two clients that's it two, or the photographer who was being sent agency modles while he was still in HS.  What dues did they pay back then is what I want to know. They had a tallent, got a break and got lucky, yes they have worked very hard in the past 20 years to keep it up but some of us are getting our breaks right now too I never ment to hang a shingle when I picked up a camera but it looks like that is what is going to be on my next tax return. I never thought I could charge anyone they come to me.

Aug 16 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Some of us are just looking over the parapet to see how close the barbarians are to the gates.

Studio36

Aug 16 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

what's the industry ?

Aug 16 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Dax wrote:
what's the industry ?

A big castle where snotty Frenchies throw livestock down at the just who are on a quest given them by god to find the Holy Grail*..

*Holy Grail = Bruce Talbot

Aug 16 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Bridgette Marie

Tempe, Arizona, US

Personally I think that most people like to hear about how other people like them. No one ever gives critisism just a bunch of butt kissers who never intend on collaborating.

Why am I here then? Honestly, I model for fun and profit. I also have a love for experimenting with photography and I learn by looking. I learn about  interesting locations and poses, about what lighting makes skinny girls fat and fat girls skinny. I learnabout the newest makeup experiments. I learn that you can shoot in  laundry mat lighting and get a great image. I learn that photoshop has made models lazy and photographers numb. I learn that typing out comments like this to random readers somehow relieves stress from my day job. I also learn that I am really tired of seeing boobs and g strings......really tired. Harder to make a clothed model look good.

I did make a friend in one photographer (Ed on my page) and he was a blessing. So there you have it, everything and nothing.

Aug 16 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bridgette Marie wrote:
Personally I think that most people like to hear about how other people like them. No one ever gives critisism just a bunch of butt kissers who never intend on collaborating.

Why am I here then? Honestly, I model for fun and profit. I also have a love for experimenting with photography and I learn by looking. I learn about  interesting locations and poses, about what lighting makes skinny girls fat and fat girls skinny. I learnabout the newest makeup experiments. I learn that you can shoot in  laundry mat lighting and get a great image. I learn that photoshop has made models lazy and photographers numb. I learn that typing out comments like this to random readers somehow relieves stress from my day job. I also learn that I am really tired of seeing boobs and g strings......really tired. Harder to make a clothed model look good.

I did make a friend in one photographer (Ed on my page) and he was a blessing. So there you have it, everything and nothing.

You have a very stressful day job, don't you?

Aug 16 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I give this thread 90 posts.  100 tops.

By post 101 this will be a completely serious discussion with actual working professionals getting upset (and people who really aren't working but want to appear professional by acting offended over the premise) and completely ignoring the mockery and cheesery.

On page 3 it's gonna happen...

Aug 16 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

I'd like to buy a vowel...  smile

Aug 16 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

Bridgette Marie

Tempe, Arizona, US

Yes I do. I am laughing and I needed that. :0

WG Rowland wrote:

You have a very stressful day job, don't you?

Aug 16 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

StudioMona wrote:
I'd like to buy a vowel...  smile

*prays that the vowel is a big O*

Aug 16 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

WG Rowland wrote:

*prays that the vowel is a big O*

LOL....

let's try something else here heheheh....howsabout this,

"Could you use that in a sentence please ? " smile

Aug 16 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

StudioMona wrote:

LOL....

let's try something else here heheheh....howsabout this,

"Could you use that in a sentence please ? " smile

"I wonder how many sets of batteries I would need to buy to give StudioMona a big 'O'?"

How's that?

Aug 16 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

By post 101 this will be a completely serious discussion with actual working professionals getting upset (and people who really aren't working but want to appear professional by acting offended over the premise) and completely ignoring the mockery and cheesery.

That's NOT FUNNY!

Just because you're a professional psychic doesn't mean you can stomp all over us trying to guess one out of six lotto numbers.

Aug 16 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jay Bowman wrote:

as self-appointed AARP representative here... i'm outraged by the cheesery the mockery and the references to sexual function here!

Aug 16 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Caristo Photog

Buda, Texas, US

If you have to ask, then you just don't get it.

Aug 16 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

oldguysrule wrote:

as self-appointed AARP representative here... i'm outraged by the cheesery the mockery and the references to sexual function here!

Cheesery... Now I'm hungry.

Aug 16 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Caristo Photography wrote:
If you have to ask, then you just don't get it.

If you dont get it you just have to ask...

Aug 16 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
blah blah blah.The End.

Is that a polyester fried egg on your head?

Aug 16 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Not that I'm a pro or anything, there is NO INDUSTRY NO "BUZZ" and NO MARKET in Bellingham Washington. Shit there's hardly any models or photographers from here on any of the sites and I have surfed as many as I could find. Anyway, to me MM is like listening to the radio, mostly a torrent of pointless shit and then every once in a while something truly great and wonderful pops up. It could be a tip from another member, it could be an awesome image or idea. It could a comment that makes me realize what a difference in thinking there is between somebody who used to shoot transparencies and now shoots digital and someone who started with digital and will never use any film. There is an underlying positive force here that is building, and it is fun to watch it slowly pushing upwards.

Aug 16 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

WG Rowland wrote:

A big castle where snotty Frenchies throw livestock down at the just who are on a quest given them by god to find the Holy Grail*..

*Holy Grail = Bruce Talbot

::: Ya know, if this keeps up, I'll have to get off my duff and post some of the really good stuff. :::

tongue

Aug 17 06 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

...and that's the whole reason why I don't use Nikon cameras and anyone who knows that won't use them either because it's right there spelled out for you there's no way around it you can't deny it or get over it end of discussion period and--

Nowwaitadangminnit.  This isn't "The definitive Canon vs Nikon thread."  Oh, well.  Consider this bumped...

Aug 17 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
...and that's the whole reason why I don't use Nikon cameras and anyone who knows that won't use them either because it's right there spelled out for you there's no way around it you can't deny it or get over it end of discussion period and--

Nowwaitadangminnit.  This isn't "The definitive Canon vs Nikon thread."  Oh, well.  Consider this bumped...

You're not psychic if you bump this to 90 all by yourself..

Aug 17 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Psychotic, maybe.

Aug 17 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

But not psychic..

Aug 17 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Says the guy who made three separate posts from what could've easily been said in one.

Trying to singlehandedly post your way there just to prove me wrong on a technicality, eh?  You're so transparent..

Aug 17 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Jay Bowman wrote:

Milquetoast wrote:
You're not psychic if you bump this to 90 all by yourself..

humm doo dee doo .....

::::  bump  ::::

Sorry mates, didn't see y'all standing there playing with your tools-o-choice.

smile

Aug 17 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Sorry mates, didn't see y'all standing there playing with your tools-o-choice.

smile

What?? 

I'm sorry, I don't do that kind of thing.  It'll make you go blind...

:::definitely wouldn't be in front of everyone if I did.  not that I do, yknow:::

Aug 17 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

We all know that 75% of men do it... and 25 % of men lie about not doing it...

Aug 17 06 08:04 pm Link