Forums > General Industry > Aspiring models boggle my mind..

Photographer

TrueHorrornet

Miami, Florida, US

Ed Selby wrote:
I blame photographers - plain and simple.

Digital cameras are inexpensive. Once the initial purchase is made, there's no further investment - no film, no developing, etc. Guys who used to join camera clubs to shoot  girls now just offer $ to wannabes on the net to pose. The girls get some half-assed photos and some bucks. They have no concept or idea of what "being a model" means. They see no sense in paying a REALLY GOOD photographer for shots, or even shooting free with a really good photographer, because some half-assed picture taker who wouldn't know an f stop from a bus stop will pay her $150 to take her shirt off.

Well wouldnt that be both their faults?? I mean who cares if half assed photogs are paying half assed models to pose for their half assed photos? Who wants to work with either?

Aug 16 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Wow, I posted this last night and woke up to all these replies lol.

My modeling MM page says I'm only accepting paid work.. and I'm 5'6" and not with an agency. I sound like a typical wannabe huh? I know I will never make it to Top Model status and I've been asked by agencies for meetings and all that but being in my early twenties, my career will be short lived. People look passed my height because they say I look "different". Sure, whatever gets me the job lol!!

Okay I'm rambling, I'm only doing paid work because I'm busy in my normal life and I'm taking the time to learn behind the lens. I have a good reason for not wanting to do a lot of traveling for TFCD. I'm still doing TFCD for photographers I've agreed to in the past, other wise I rather be paid at this moment.

I've done fashion week, had a 2 season ad campaign and blah blah blah.. I think I deserve to get paid every now and then lol. I've paid my dues with free work as I'm doing as a photographer now. I'll be a runway photographer at 2 fashion weeks and guess how much they are paying me? NOTHING! I did a shoot with Sisi from Canada's Next Top Model.. did she ask to be paid? NO! I'll be doing the cover of a teen magazine in China with her.. are we being paid? NO! A lot of the time the exposure is worth more than the pay check.  She is a professional model, signed with two agencies and she STILL does free work.

Naomi Campbell even does free runway for certain designers, only because the exposure is huge. Then I get little mis 5'1" with 2 portfolio shoots under her belt asking me to pay her. Like the title of this thread says, boggles my mind!

Aug 16 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

I just wanted to add that there ARE smart aspring models who see this as a BUSINESS and take the time to learn and UNDERSTAND it. Sure it's the models that get the fame and recognition, but it's the photographers, designers, stylists and agents that get them there. It can take years before a model can have their face recognized.

THANK YOU to those models and photographers who see this industry as a business!

Aug 16 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

I think the bottom line for me is ~ if a photographer approaches ME and I don't think by looking at his work that his shots would be used in my book then I wouldn't shoot TFP and definately wouldn't pay him/her.  I would then tell him my day rate.  If a photographer that contacts me has an amazing port then I would definately consider TFP.  If I see a photographer that is amazing and I approach him/her ~ I would hope that we could trade due to the fact that I hope he too thinks my port is amazing but I would understand and consider it if her/she told me their rate.

End of story

Aug 16 06 11:44 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Study in Light that one model you're working with sounds like a real class act. I bet she'll be really successful. Modeling is something I've always wanted to do so I jump at every opportunity that comes my way (unless it sounds like a scam). I've always been confused about why beginning models turn down TFP assignments - that's how you learn how to pose, what you feel comfortable with, what angles work for you, etc. Before my first two TFP shoots I didn't know crap about modeling!

Aug 16 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Wow...and I say again wow. Now who really is to blame, the "models" who ask to be paid with little or no experience or the "photographers" who pay?

I say this because once again, a photographer is going to pay a model when a client hires him/her. (a working photographer) The exception is the photographer who views this as a hobby or a life pursuit and pays to photograph models that he/she feels will enhance their work or pleasure.

NOBODY can complain because a person asks for money/compentsation and OTHER people give it to them.

Oliver

Aug 16 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

I'm surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that anyone cares what other people do.
It's a free market. If a person who has never "modeled" a day in their life asks for and gets a paid assignmet, more power to them. If a client thinks a person is worth paying for a photo session , for what ever reason, that's their perogative.
If you come in contact with someone, be it photographer or model, who you dont think is worth paying, dont work with them.
Personally, I can't see either group surviving on the others charity alone. At some point money enters into the equation - it always does. If hobbiests are willing to work for "free", let them, it's their right.
If professionals expect to get paid for their work , why is that a novel or shocking concept? If the rates are unrealistic, the market will sort out soon enough those that stay in the game, and will adjust thier rates accordingly.

Aug 17 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

CAP210 wrote:
I'm surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that anyone cares what other people do.
It's a free market. If a person who has never "modeled" a day in their life asks for and gets a paid assignmet, more power to them. If a client thinks a person is worth paying for a photo session , for what ever reason, that's their perogative.
If you come in contact with someone, be it photographer or model, who you dont think is worth paying, dont work with them.
Personally, I can't see either group surviving on the others charity alone. At some point money enters into the equation - it always does. If hobbiests are willing to work for "free", let them, it's their right.
If professionals expect to get paid for their work , why is that a novel or shocking concept? If the rates are unrealistic, the market will sort out soon enough those that stay in the game, and will adjust thier rates accordingly.

I'm ranting about MM models that have contacted me through this site or my email asking to work with me but then asking me to pay them after I say yes. These are NOT professional models who DESERVE to be paid. If you're saying someone who has "never modeled a day in their life" should get paid when asked then I guess anyone and everyone can be a model. Things like this is what makes those types of aspiring models. Modeling is a business and takes a lot of work. Work and experience gets you the paid work and GOOD paying work. Just like other jobs.

If people want to do free work, good for them. If they are good enough to be paid, awesome. But if you have no experience or just dont have the talent, you should'nt be asked for payment. I dont mean to be rude but, the girls that have expressed payment from me will not be models, not even commercial or petite models.

There is a reason why people have resumes in the work force. Your resume determines if you get the job and how much money you'll be getting. It's no different in the modeling industry.

Aug 17 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

I'm ranting about MM models that have contacted me through this site or my email asking to work with me but then asking me to pay them after I say yes. These are NOT professional models who DESERVE to be paid. If you're saying someone who has "never modeled a day in their life" should get paid when asked then I guess anyone and everyone can be a model. Things like this is what makes those types of aspiring models. Modeling is a business and takes a lot of work. Work and experience gets you the paid work and GOOD paying work. Just like other jobs.

If people want to do free work, good for them. If they are good enough to be paid, awesome. But if you have no experience or just dont have the talent, you should'nt be asked for payment. I dont mean to be rude but, the girls that have expressed payment from me will not be models, not even commercial or petite models.

There is a reason why people have resumes in the work force. Your resume determines if you get the job and how much money you'll be getting. It's no different in the modeling industry.

So Tiffany as a model - would you consider doing a TFP shoot with me . I like your look ( and attitude ) and we live in the same city ....

Aug 17 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

MELmoore wrote:
Modeling is a passion of mine, but I had to come to the realization and rationalize that I am too short and 31 years old. I put in alot of TFP hours and now the print work/paid work is finally coming in. Last month I shot so much(all paid jobs) that I didn't get to see my kids allot. It was also getting stressfull having kids, having a business and modeling on weekends. I am backing off from all the photoshoot's offered because it will no longer be a passion if I can't enjoy it.
Kisses,
MEL

this has nothing to do with this post
Mel you have kids and still maitain that good body , wow :-)

Aug 17 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Linnea

Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, US

I understand the frustration everyone else is feeling with "models" like this.  I've seen several porfolios on here that just look like the girls thinks she's hot, has shots taken that look like snapshots by her friends, wearing her favorite party outfit that has nothing to do with fashion or trend but just represents her own personal style, and says she only accepts paid shoots!  It's ridiculous!  I would NEVER put that in my profile.  I've done the damn alcohol and brand promos, and I feel like little miss small town america doing it, but it's money, it's SOME form of experience, and at some point I'm praying to god it works out.  It drives me just as crazy as you photogs to have some 16 year old on here throwing up pictures of her and her friends expecting to be called a model.  I've never asked a photographer to pay me...EVER.  If one wants to pay me for a shoot, I will accept, of course, who would turn down money!  But I'm not going out there saying, "If you want to shoot with me, name your price".  Primadonnas!  Ugh!

Aug 17 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Shellane

Orlando, Florida, US

Thank you for your candor. I sent you an e-mail for your suggestions.

Aug 18 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Linnea wrote:
I understand the frustration everyone else is feeling with "models" like this.  I've seen several porfolios on here that just look like the girls thinks she's hot, has shots taken that look like snapshots by her friends, wearing her favorite party outfit that has nothing to do with fashion or trend but just represents her own personal style, and says she only accepts paid shoots!  It's ridiculous!  I would NEVER put that in my profile.  I've done the damn alcohol and brand promos, and I feel like little miss small town america doing it, but it's money, it's SOME form of experience, and at some point I'm praying to god it works out.  It drives me just as crazy as you photogs to have some 16 year old on here throwing up pictures of her and her friends expecting to be called a model.  I've never asked a photographer to pay me...EVER.  If one wants to pay me for a shoot, I will accept, of course, who would turn down money!  But I'm not going out there saying, "If you want to shoot with me, name your price".  Primadonnas!  Ugh!

HAHAHAHA, you are so right about the girls in their "favorite party dress"!! LOL
If someone wants to pay you, go for it! Who would turn down a paid gig? The alcohol promoting is experience but NOT MODELING EXPERIENCE. You are basically paid to be eye candy for the men. Imagine you are with a modeling agency, would they put their fashion models in that type of work? No. Promoting beer and other things for men will not futher your career. Sure, it's money, but it ends there. Just like girls who bend over cars in short skirts and tied up tank tops. It's money and you're there to attract men, but you arent a REAL model. Anyone and their sister can promote beer and straddle an import car (as long as she looks over her shoulder and smiles.. OH and has the latest Victoria's Secret bra). I have no issue with girls who are comfortable and enjoy this type of work. What bothers me is that they label themselves as MODELS when truly they aren't. When you say the word "model" you should think of fashion models like Gemma Ward, Heather Marks, Carmen Kass, etc. Not the pretty girl from highschool with loads of makeup, extensions and a plunging neckline. Girls like this are ruining the term "model" for those who do the REAL work.

Why not try promoting industry related material? Do in-store promo's for designers/boutiques (walking around in their garments, live mannequin, etc) and things like that. You can do a lot of networking and get exposure to industry professionals that way. Otherwise you will be labeled as "eye candy" instead of a "model" and wont be treated with the same respect or professionalism.

Aug 19 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Garry k wrote:

So Tiffany as a model - would you consider doing a TFP shoot with me . I like your look ( and attitude ) and we live in the same city ....

You SURE you wanna work with me? I'm too short for your requirements wink I dont have much free time at this moment as I'm dedicated to photography and paid modeling assignments. I usually model on weekends and all my weekends are filled up until mid September.. think we can schedule something then? Send me a msg! smile

Aug 19 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:
Why do models ask me to do a shoot and then ask me to PAY them?

I'm a working model.. I know how the industry works. Just because you've done a bunch of free portfolio shoots does NOT make you experienced.. especially if your port is crap.. no offense. REAL modeling work makes you experienced. By REAL work I mean paid exposure work that goes beyond modeling for websites, stock photography and promoting beer at your local club.

I'm not a bitch.. just tired of big-headed models that are snobby for nothing. Now I understand why photogs bitch so much about aspiring models.. sheesh.

Here's some advice to you aspiring/new models: Get portfolio images that will land you a job. That is the point of a portfolio! Don't just get a bunch of pics that you use more for your MySpace account than anything else. Know where your look will sell and go from there.

Once you've got a port go to an agency and/or network your ass off. No pay and little paying jobs are what get you the bigger ones. You have to start somewhere. Don't expect to be paid big when you have NO experience besides your portfolio and jobs Heather Marks would never do (ex. promoting beer). Do the respectful jobs that agencies would see as real work.

If any of you want anymore advice, feel free to message me. Other than that I'm just here to rant.

Tiffany...(on bended knee) I am her to proclaim my everlasting love for you and every word you have, or will ever, utter. The perfect model has just posted! Seriously, thank you so much. This is my HUGE pet peeve (which i think makes it more than a pet peeve actually) and honestly, when I see a model with webcam photos demanding "paid shoots only" I know she will never work a real modeling job (unless she considers cash from the GWC a modeling assignment). Thanks!

Aug 19 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Tiffany...(on bended knee) I am her to proclaim my everlasting love for you and every word you have, or will ever, utter. The perfect model has just posted! Seriously, thank you so much. This is my HUGE pet peeve (which i think makes it more than a pet peeve actually) and honestly, when I see a model with webcam photos demanding "paid shoots only" I know she will never work a real modeling job (unless she considers cash from the GWC a modeling assignment). Thanks!

LMAO!! Thanks!! I was a bit hesitant at first to talk about girls that demand cash without experience or girls that promote beer for "modeling experience" but it had to be said. I know girls who do the beer promoting things and they are insanely sweet and a couple (not all) are actually talented enough to be doing FASHION work. But I guess they like the attention and cash and that I can understand.

I'm only 5'6" and I can never be a top fashion model because of that.. sure there's Kate Moss and Devon Aoki.. but that's 2 out of hundreds and hundreds of professional models. I'm missing out on a lot of money because I refuse to do "eye candy modeling". I model because the industry is filled with so many different talented and creative people that come together and achieve a dream or goal.

Make-up artists, wardrobe stylists, hair stylists, designers, models, photographers.. they all have a talent and a passion. They all excel in different areas but come together for the same thing, the industry. Creating a vision and bringing it to life. Those are the ppl I admire and respect.

Aug 19 06 01:04 am Link

Model

Tiffany Morgan

Santa Monica, California, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

LMAO!! Thanks!! I was a bit hesitant at first to talk about girls that demand cash without experience or girls that promote beer for "modeling experience" but it had to be said. I know girls who do the beer promoting things and they are insanely sweet and a couple (not all) are actually talented enough to be doing FASHION work. But I guess they like the attention and cash and that I can understand.

I'm only 5'6" and I can never be a top fashion model because of that.. sure there's Kate Moss and Devon Aoki.. but that's 2 out of hundreds and hundreds of professional models. I'm missing out on a lot of money because I refuse to do "eye candy modeling". I model because the industry is filled with so many different talented and creative people that come together and achieve a dream or goal.

Make-up artists, wardrobe stylists, hair stylists, designers, models, photographers.. they all have a talent and a passion. They all excel in different areas but come together for the same thing, the industry. Creating a vision and bringing it to life. Those are the ppl I admire and respect.

Very well put...Much love to a fellow "shorty"..Great port ;-)

~Tiffany C.

Aug 19 06 02:09 am Link

Model

Keira Dazi

Los Angeles, California, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

I agree! It goes both ways..

I definitely agree. Big heads can go on anyone. A lot of GWC shoot their barely clothed neighbor with their disposable camera and think they are now a respectable "photogragher". It's sad to see people do this. Whether they be an aspiring model, photographer, or actress. Do what you do. Be professional. Don't brag (ESPECIALLY if you have no braging rights! that's the worst!) I've noticed, it's the people at the top who brag the least, and th epeople at the bottom who brag the most. They're like Chihuahuas. So small, and they bark more than a Saint Bernard. LOL tongue

Aug 19 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

JAY carreon wrote:

Actually - "wannabe" would be more fitting.  "Aspiring" models would be more serious or at least better informed.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Or is it "expired" or "perspiring" wanna-be's.  Personally, I've always felt the photographer was the talent- the model the biology.  And there's ALOT of good looking biology out there!

Aug 19 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Keira Dazi wrote:
I've noticed, it's the people at the top who brag the least, and th epeople at the bottom who brag the most. They're like Chihuahuas. So small, and they bark more than a Saint Bernard. LOL tongue

So true, so true...  I've never seen Gavin O'Neill, Eric Striffler, Stephen Eastwood (NYPHOTOGRAPHICS) or Roberto Aguilar (fotorat), just to name a few on this site... tooting their own horn.  Their work does it for them....  Same with Models on this site like JO, Melissa Baker, or Donna Feldman

Aug 19 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Well, lets see.... a photographer asks me to shoot and gets mad/upset when I ask if it could be a paid shoot...
Hm?
I have rarely asked photographers to work with me.... but yet they ask me and to repeat the above get ANGRY/UPSET that I ask for it to be paid!
Hm?

Aug 19 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

As always I swim against the tide.  Here goes...
Experience as a model means very little.  Its not like many things where having
worked in a field means a lot.  Most people wouldn't trust their cars to a
inexperienced mechanic for example.  Modeling mostly requires a ability to look
pretty and pose.  A certain talent to emote is cool but experience, No.  A
model could be shown how to do a runway walk in about a hour.  This ain't
rocket science folks.  lets also look at the payment issue.  If a model lives
in Ain'tnomodelingwork, AL.  Then her getting those fantastic shots provided by
the local MM member for TFP means little.  She won't get agency work because
she's not near a agency.  So asking for $$$ is not a bad thing.  Most won't get
paid and if you don't want to pay then don't.  Being a experienced photographer
is different because photography often requires technical knowledge and creative
vision.  There are people though that will shoot better then many people after
a very short period of time.  Its called talent.  It is a bit of pisser to some when
a model with often web cam level images asks for money but she has every
right too.  Should she try and get solid work before she does?  Well again
go back to the ideal of would it really make a difference if her chances of
modeling are really limited or she's in a bad location and won't move.  Quite
often all TFP means is you get more TFP.

Aug 19 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

You're swimming against the tide but you're not alone.

Had some great shoots in the last few days, mostly with models with limited experience if any at all. But these models have the look I need for my work, and are naturally talented with their posing. Being naturally photogenic combined with a great attitude and willingness to follow directions is NOT rocket science.

Since the end result is images with value I see every reason to provide some form of compensation in return.

Aug 19 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

What I'm ranting about are models that contact me and ask to be paid. If a photographer contacts a model they should let them know right away if it will be paid work or for images.

I do not think a girl with candid images has the right to call herself a model and demand to be paid. What makes her good enough to be paid? Because she's pretty? People need to take the industry more seriously, if that's what they want to be a part of. If it's a hobby, dont give yourself the industry names.

I never called myself a model until after I did some solid work (ad campaign and fashion week). I still feel funny calling myself a model because I'm not with an agency.

Everyone has a preference of what they will and will not work with. I prefer to work with models that have some experience infront of the camera and that are over 5'7" (or photograph taller). Experienced models with height produce more professional images, in my opinion. I don't want to work with a model that is 5'1" with web cam images and a pretty face. I will work with a shorter unexperienced model if she has a unique look or something I may need for my book. But I am not interested in the pretty girl from highschool. There is one in every highschool and there are millions of highschools around the world. They are not unique.

Back to the point of this whole thread.. inexperienced models shouldnt expect to be paid right away. Even the model pro's do test shoots to build their book first. A great portfolio is what GETS YOU THE REAL WORK. That is the POINT of a portfolio! Then your test shots are replaced by tearsheets. Dont waste your time or the photographers time getting a bunch of hot pics of yourself to show ur friends and post on MySpace. Unless, you're working with a GWC.

Everyone should have a goal. My goal as a photographer is to excel as a fashion/editorial photographer. Therefore I want to work with experienced models and models from agencies so I can have the best outcome that I can and network myself. As a model I want to do my best and try to do things ppl say shorter girls cant do. I'm crossing off goals as a photographer and model.

There are far too many people on model/photographer websites that look like they have no goals for the industry at all.. yet they call themselves MODELS or PHOTOGRAPHERS. Let's be realistic.. there are more GWC's and girls who will never become models on these sites than there are with real potential.

I can't believe a girl who is 5'2" will have a list on her profile stating that she only wants paid work and is interested in runway and billboards yet her whole port is full of cheesy shots mixed with webcam pics that would never get her legit work or a second glance by a real client or agent. Go to a legit agency and talk to the development agent. They will tell you what is realistic for your look.

Aug 19 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:
What I'm ranting about are models that contact me and ask to be paid. If a photographer contacts a model they should let them know right away if it will be paid work or for images.

I do not think a girl with candid images has the right to call herself a model and demand to be paid. What makes her good enough to be paid? Because she's pretty? People need to take the industry more seriously, if that's what they want to be a part of. If it's a hobby, dont give yourself the industry names.

I never called myself a model until after I did some solid work (ad campaign and fashion week). I still feel funny calling myself a model because I'm not with an agency.

Everyone has a preference of what they will and will not work with. I prefer to work with models that have some experience infront of the camera and that are over 5'7" (or photograph taller). Experienced models with height produce more professional images, in my opinion. I don't want to work with a model that is 5'1" with web cam images and a pretty face. I will work with a shorter unexperienced model if she has a unique look or something I may need for my book. But I am not interested in the pretty girl from highschool. There is one in every highschool and there are millions of highschools around the world. They are not unique.

Back to the point of this whole thread.. inexperienced models shouldnt expect to be paid right away. Even the model pro's do test shoots to build their book first. A great portfolio is what GETS YOU THE REAL WORK. That is the POINT of a portfolio! Then your test shots are replaced by tearsheets. Dont waste your time or the photographers time getting a bunch of hot pics of yourself to show ur friends and post on MySpace. Unless, you're working with a GWC.

Everyone should have a goal. My goal as a photographer is to excel as a fashion/editorial photographer. Therefore I want to work with experienced models and models from agencies so I can have the best outcome that I can and network myself. As a model I want to do my best and try to do things ppl say shorter girls cant do. I'm crossing off goals as a photographer and model.

There are far too many people on model/photographer websites that look like they have no goals for the industry at all.. yet they call themselves MODELS or PHOTOGRAPHERS. Let's be realistic.. there are more GWC's and girls who will never become models on these sites than there are with real potential.

I can't believe a girl who is 5'2" will have a list on her profile stating that she only wants paid work and is interested in runway and billboards yet her whole port is full of cheesy shots mixed with web cam pics that would never get her legit work or a second glance by a real client or agent. Go to a legit agency and talk to the development agent. They will tell you what is realistic for your look.

Tiffany, you are comparing apples to oranges.  It may not be a reasonable thing
for a new model to expect to be paid but I understand it.  MM is a fun and
funky place but do you take any of this serious.  Most of the models here aren't
ever going to a agency.  Most will never grow beyond web cam shots or the
crappy thong shots we see on MM.  However if a model lives in a place that
has no agencies or is under a certain height and photographers offer her money
and many do, then accept the $$$.  I don't really believe that most people think
they will make it to the cover of Vogue or Elle.  Now here's what I think a real
model should do.  That is a person with a real chance should try.  Take some
clear shots in a swimsuit or nice dress.  Plain background.  Take a clear
head shot and find agencies near you that you can send them too.  Having
a complete book is often a waste of time because in many cases a model will
have images that a agency can't send her out with.  Notice I'm not talking
about the average girl next door with uneven teeth or the bad boob job or
who's 5'2".  Should those type of models work on getting a good book?
Why in heavens name should they?  Tiffany you have talent and your pretty.
However taking most of those on MM as serious doesn't work.  Many of the
agency models Test all the time.  They know the value of keeping busy but
they also are in the industry.  Even if what they get is too arty for commercial
use its all good.  Contrast that to a model from Imamodel, Ark.  She really
has no use for those cool images.  In short I agree with you EXPECT that many
of these models inexperienced or not have a right to ask for $$$ The question
is who pays and what do they expect for the money.

Aug 19 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Tiffany, you are comparing apples to oranges.  It may not be a reasonable thing
for a new model to expect to be paid but I understand it.  MM is a fun and
funky place but do you take any of this serious.  Most of the models here aren't
ever going to a agency.  Most will never grow beyond web cam shots or the
crappy thong shots we see on MM.  However if a model lives in a place that
has no agencies or is under a certain height and photographers offer her money
and many do, then accept the $$$.  I don't really believe that most people think
they will make it to the cover of Vogue or Elle.  Now here's what I think a real
model should do.  That is a person with a real chance should try.  Take some
clear shots in a swimsuit or nice dress.  Plain background.  Take a clear
head shot and find agencies near you that you can send them too.  Having
a complete book is often a waste of time because in many cases a model will
have images that a agency can't send her out with.  Notice I'm not talking
about the average girl next door with uneven teeth or the bad boob job or
who's 5'2".  Should those type of models work on getting a good book?
Why in heavens name should they?  Tiffany you have talent and your pretty.
However taking most of those on MM as serious doesn't work.  Many of the
agency models Test all the time.  They know the value of keeping busy but
they also are in the industry.  Even if what they get is too arty for commercial
use its all good.  Contrast that to a model from Imamodel, Ark.  She really
has no use for those cool images.  In short I agree with you EXPECT that many
of these models inexperienced or not have a right to ask for $$$ The question
is who pays and what do they expect for the money.

I TOTALLY agree with you. If the girls are offered the money, they should take it (as long as the shoot is safe). I'm not saying they shouldn't accept paid work. I just dont think it's right to ASK to be paid without experience, whether they have the look to be in Elle or not. You have to start somewhere, and seeing your face on a billboard when all you have is webcam shots will not get you there.

If they dont have the typical model look or dont have legit agencies in their area that doesnt give them the right to ask for paid work. There isnt too much going on in Vancouver (where I'm from) but I never ever asked photographers to pay me for portfolio work. It's like any other job, you need experience to get the good work and the check.

If they are on MM for fun and all that then they should stay that way and not expect to be paid for portfolio work or think they can be on a billboard. That's just wishful thinking. I guess I'm one of the ppl on MM that take the industry professionally because I hope to be a working professional in the fashion industry. If there are others that are just doing it as a hobby or for the fun, more power to you. Just dont ask to be paid when the shoot isnt for publication and is strictly for portfolio use.

I did a shoot with a top 3 finalist on Canada's Next Top Model (who has also been a professional model traveling to Asia and Milan) and she NEVER asked me to pay her when I contacted her. I'm also working with the head agent at a modeling agency to do tests with three of her models (including another Canada's Next Top Model finalist) and again, I'm not being asked to pay the models. That's why I find it funny when a girl with no experience and doesnt even have the look for petite modeling has the nerve to post her "rates".

Aug 19 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

You SURE you wanna work with me? I'm too short for your requirements wink I dont have much free time at this moment as I'm dedicated to photography and paid modeling assignments. I usually model on weekends and all my weekends are filled up until mid September.. think we can schedule something then? Send me a msg! smile

Well - let me add that you are very pretty , and we both know that a lot of 5'6 models say they are 5''8  ( just put on those heels and presto ) ... Jammed up w shoots right now - but I will contact you in early Sept re a creative . But I gonna suggest that you come up with an idea for our collaboration

Aug 20 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

I TOTALLY agree with you. If the girls are offered the money, they should take it (as long as the shoot is safe). I'm not saying they shouldn't accept paid work. I just dont think it's right to ASK to be paid without experience, whether they have the look to be in Elle or not. You have to start somewhere, and seeing your face on a billboard when all you have is webcam shots will not get you there.

If they dont have the typical model look or dont have legit agencies in their area that doesn't give them the right to ask for paid work. There isn't too much going on in Vancouver (where I'm from) but I never ever asked photographers to pay me for portfolio work. It's like any other job, you need experience to get the good work and the check.

If they are on MM for fun and all that then they should stay that way and not expect to be paid for portfolio work or think they can be on a billboard. That's just wishful thinking. I guess I'm one of the ppl on MM that take the industry professionally because I hope to be a working professional in the fashion industry. If there are others that are just doing it as a hobby or for the fun, more power to you. Just dont ask to be paid when the shoot isnt for publication and is strictly for portfolio use.

I did a shoot with a top 3 finalist on Canada's Next Top Model (who has also been a professional model traveling to Asia and Milan) and she NEVER asked me to pay her when I contacted her. I'm also working with the head agent at a modeling agency to do tests with three of her models (including another Canada's Next Top Model finalist) and again, I'm not being asked to pay the models. That's why I find it funny when a girl with no experience and doesnt even have the look for petite modeling has the nerve to post her "rates".

Tiffany you are expecting professional behavior from models clearly not informed
on how modeling works.  Quite often these are young women who really think
a photographer can make thousands with their images so why not ask for money
for gracing their portfolios as one model put it.  Here's what more photographers
should do as a reponse.  CHARGE.  Their are some real talents on this site.
People who's work is great who continue to waste their time and energy
shooting models who have little to no respect for them.  These being models
who show late if at all.  Models who insist on bringing mom, dad and the family
dog to the shoot.  Models who arrive unprepared to shoot.  Many of the new
models who ask for money have a almost stripper like view of things as another
model put.  I get paid to show my breasts.  Its a certain amount to see one
and more for the second.  Does that make the models wrong for expecting to
be paid?  Look I think because I'm a artist that models should desire to want
to produce beautiful work.  This so that they can maybe get paid work via
clients or to have nicer work people can see.  However thats me and my view.
Take a look at those same profiles of models in a few months.  Same tired
photos.  Many haven't logged on in months or weeks.  So much for being paid.
It all balances out.  Should a inexperienced model expect to be paid, sure on
MM why not, in the world of agencies with what they show on these sites, No.

Aug 20 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

I'm a working model.. I know how the industry works. Just because you've done a bunch of free portfolio shoots does NOT make you experienced.. especially if your port is crap.. no offense. REAL modeling work makes you experienced. By REAL work I mean paid exposure work that goes beyond modeling for websites, stock photography and promoting beer at your local club.

I'm not a bitch.. just tired of big-headed models that are snobby for nothing. Now I understand why photogs bitch so much about aspiring models.. sheesh.

Here's some advice to you aspiring/new models: Get portfolio images that will land you a job. That is the point of a portfolio! Don't just get a bunch of pics that you use more for your MySpace account than anything else. Know where your look will
sell and go from there.

Once you've got a port go to an agency and/or network your ass off. No pay and little paying jobs are what get you the bigger ones. You have to start somewhere. Don't expect to be paid big when you have NO experience besides your portfolio and jobs Heather Marks would never do (ex. promoting beer). Do the respectful jobs that agencies would see as real work.

If any of you want anymore advice, feel free to message me. Other than that I'm just here to rant.

We are the one's giving them a product at the end of the day.  Unless you are shooting them with the intention of selling those images to someone else, they should be paying us, bottom line.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aug 20 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

YeagerVision

Los Angeles, California, US

So many people are "Dreaming the Life"

Aug 20 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Well I think that if you are an aspiring model you should do your homework. Learn and understand the industry. Ask experienced models questions and see developing agents. THAT IS WHAT I DID. I didn't jump in blindly posting rates and unlikely "goals". Same goes with photography.. I asked photographers their thoughts on cameras and which they would recommend. I STILL bother them with questions as I do with models more experienced than I am or ever will be.

Aspiring models signing up with MM or other model websites and posting rediculous rates or "goals" doesnt make it alright just because they are "new". If they are serious or not about modeling they will start dealing with ppl that ARE serious about their profession.

Why jump into something when you know nothing about it? This is when I can point out the "models" that want to be "famous".

Aug 20 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Photographers at the level to get those assignments are able to get what they want out of anyone who has the right look.  If they can't, they don't get repeat business.

Sums up the entire industry in less than three dozen words.

Aug 20 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Ah well seems to me the most prevelent group of people in USA in all professions do just whatever the hell they want to  - regardless of anyone else, or the impression they make... They have rights - right!?
Generally they are loud, obnoxious, or so so super tactful.

Most commonly, will ignore those affected by their arrangements or else make a great fuss about it  . . .and if there's any backlash they will then sound off ad infinitum about how someone didn't agree with THEM (and their selfish needs).

Aug 22 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Awesome!!

;-)

Aug 22 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Treagen

Detroit, Michigan, US

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

Here's some advice to you aspiring/new models: Get portfolio images that will land you a job. That is the point of a portfolio! Don't just get a bunch of pics that you use more for your MySpace account than anything else. Know where your look will sell and go from there.

the average aspiring model thinks they can walk in the biz and call their own shots, not knowing, NO biz works that way. Most are a waste of time, don't study b4 they shoot, and feel they have worth becuase folsk tell them they are "cute" or "should model" a few eps of janice dickenson usually sets my newbies straight. your are nothing until you live and eat off of it. Even then, you may still be a bottom feeder.

Aug 22 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

LNV Innovations

Spring, Texas, US

I am just glad there are more sensible models and photographers than the other type.

Thats why we get the details lined out before anyone agrees on a date, then there is no question. If they are unreasonable or if they feel I am, and a compromise can't be reached nothing lost.

Just remember we are all individuals, some more unique than the rest.

Aug 23 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
*gasp!*

Did someone just use the term Myspace? Hahaha.

Sorry. I think that ranting about aspirants is pointless and useless.

Agreed. Preaching to the choir and all that....

Aug 23 06 11:40 am Link

Model

Taryn Lee

Flint, Michigan, US

Not all new models are that way. At 5'1, a "thick" body type,  and an average(definitely not Beautiful, Glamourous) face, I know that the only jobs I am eligible for are promotional and extras in amateur-ish, low budget projects. I am a model wannabe/amateur but would never dream of pulling any kind of garbage like that. i know my place and i am sure that plenty of other "aspring models do to"

Aug 27 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Samantha-Lynne wrote:
On the same note, there are also photographers who will blow themselves up so much...the typical, "I'll make you look beautiful!" Simple thing, if the model thinks she's good enough to get paid, by god..let her advertise that she only accepts paid..it really has nothing to do with you. Yeah..I get mad when people say I have to have an agency to be a model...I'm freelance..call me an amature if you will because of this, but what I do is offer afordable rates rather than starting at 30/h. That way it covers gas, for those of us who don't have the cash to drive a hundred mile round trip for a TFP/CD. I believe my time and skill are worth at LEAST the gas to get there. Its not something to get yourself worked up over, its their career...let them run it.

Using Gas in your car, compared to getting "Free Unlimited" amount of photos....hmmmmmmmmmmmm For a Wedding...that would cost them thousands!

You're not going to get a Wedding album for free, so spend the money on gas and get your hundreds and hundreds of free photos on Disc!

Photographer Costs:

Equipement
Equipement ware and tear repairs
Time in Photoshop
Print developing
CDs
Gas in photographer car
Tolls for crossing the bridge

I think the Photographer's Costs are about 100 times more than one fill up at the Amaco Gas Station.

Aug 27 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Study in Light wrote:
I've seen a few new girls work with me to build a port then think they are gonna walk into a top NY agency right away.  They get discouraged when the big jobs don't come in and end up working at Wendy's or some such place.

But as a shining example of just the opposite, I've been shooting a girl the last couple of months who knows what market she wants to reach (cute/sexy/glam....Maxim/FHM, etc) and insists on shooting in that style.  She has pushed me to give her as much spare time as I could and she turned in a few pretty good shots.

She has been patient and just let the pics build up.  She trusted me to help her pic out the right combination of technically and aesthetically good photographs.  Just this week we sat down and submitted her for a handful of small jobs.  As luck has it, she picked up 3 jobs the first day.  The nice thing is she thinks these small jobs are the best thing that has ever happened to her and knows it is where she has to start.  She is more than content to work for free or almost free to get the exposure and good word-of-mouth, not to mention the experience.  I'm pretty dang proud of her too!

I wish all the new girls were as dedicated and patient as she is.

I wish a few of those were in my town....what a change of pace one like that would be. Jayne Jones was the last one I worked with that that good of an attitude.

Aug 27 06 07:04 pm Link