Forums > General Industry > ...If you can tell you used Photoshop.....

Photographer

Chris Le

San Diego, California, US

I don't say that at all 'cause my view is: it depends on the photographers' style, if the way the pics look is what he want, then whether someone thinks it's "bad" or not  is the matter of views, and there're many different views.

Aug 16 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
BUT! for you photographer who overuse the Gausian Blurr it still looks like Shit!!!!

You mean like this?

https://myspace-052.vo.llnwd.net/00985/25/06/985176052_l.jpg

Took this photo while screwing around over at Stan's.  ISO 1600, natural light (of which there was almost NONE) and a couple of lamps.  It's pretty noisy...come on, it's 1600!  All I did was edit a scratch a few fly away hairs, and some blemishes.  Then some little 20 y.o. shit that in his MySpace profile claims he's better than you at Photoshop (so deal with it) comes in and does this shit.  Which I didn't mind, this was not a "shoot" but rather friends hanging around shootin' the shit.  BUT, I made a comment under the photo that if she liked the amateur plastic banana look, all she had to do was ask me and I'd have cleaned it up for her.  Boy did that set him off.  Calling me an unprofessional asshole and if I had taken the photo properly to begin with, he wouldn't have had to clean up all the noise for me.  DUDE, it's ISO 1600 in SHITTY light with friends hanging out having fun...who gives a shit about noise?!  If I cared, I'd have gotten a tripod and made her hold still for a moment to get the correct exposure.

Anyhow, I stood by my claim that the work was amature quality (or lack of).  The transition from her eyebrows to the skin...SCREAMS photoshop.  It's a HORRIBLE job.  If you're going to fix someone ELSE's photo, at least be good at it!

Aug 16 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

The final image is all that matters. Doesn't matter if the image was 5% photoshopped, 95% photoshopped, or untouched... a great image is a great image. It doesn't matter how it was achieved. I've always been a little wary of "purists" of any type. They tend to be rigid, uncreative, and sexually repressed.

Aug 16 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Black Ricco wrote:
The final image is all that matters. Doesn't matter if the image was 5% photoshopped, 95% photoshopped, or untouched... a great image is a great image. It doesn't matter how it was achieved. I've always been a little wary of "purists" of any type. They tend to be rigid, uncreative, and sexually repressed.

Yeah, he's back!

More, I beg of you, say more unrestrained shit designed to incite a riot and cause my ears to bleed.

Aug 16 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

MMDesign wrote:

Christ! Another one, eh? I started out doing paste-up, setting headlines on a typositor and shooting halftones in a type shop. Boy, was I glad when computers came along.

I should hate the two of you. My ex-demon from hell wife was t keyline paste up type kerner setter upper.

Aug 16 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Then you used too much!!!

I see lots of images out there that have plastic skin and ultra bright eyes. If you are going to edit in Photoshop then do it so it doesn't 'look' like you used photoshop.

Again, don't put out crap just to put something out....

M

What a waist of bandwidth this post of yours is....

Aug 16 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more.

Since the advent of Photoshop in the 80's and the largely all digital capture today,  I think we all need to reconsider what "photography" means to us individually.  With the unlimited potential of PS...where do you draw the line between enhancement, embellishment, and outright "illustration"?

It depends on a variety of issues...including the desired end result.  If you, or anyone wants to be a purist....then go back to film and never use software again!
For others, PS is a part of the process, and ANYTHING GOES....as long as the client, photographer, etc. are happy.  Your vision ISN'T another's.

Or why not just have every shot accompanied with a symbol denoting that PS was used "to some degree"...kind of a truth in pictorial honesty??  Hahaha!  But even that has issues:  case in point, a photojournalist covering Bush's fuckup in the Middle East was recently fired.  His transgression?  Manipulating/altering some shots....basically enhancing smoke clouds from a recent explosion.

Is only the PJ held to that standard of journalistic integrity, by not altering imagery to any degree?

Or....the cover of Time/Newsweek during the OJ "I'll cut you mo-fo" Simpson fiasco.  One shot was altered to a degree that made him (apparently) look overly "sinister"....and the mag caught alot of heat.

The "rules" have all changed now.  There are NONE!  It's down to core esthetics:  you either like the shot or not...be it "too much" PS, not enough, or just hate the shot- irregardless of the software.  SO WHAT?

Aug 16 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

you mean like this?

https://lotusimages.com/images%204/sick%20punk%20403%20a.jpg

/i have too much free time

Aug 16 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

tomkatproductions wrote:
Or why not just have every shot accompanied with a symbol denoting that PS was used "to some degree"...kind of a truth in pictorial honesty??  Hahaha!  But even that has issues:  case in point, a photojournalist covering Bush's fuckup in the Middle East was recently fired.  His transgression?  Manipulating/altering some shots....basically enhancing smoke clouds from a recent explosion.

ok, ONE of us needs to get our stories straight.  But I believe that was a photo of an Israeli airstrike and has NOTHING to do with United States or our President.

Aug 16 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I know of a pj who got in trouble cutting and pasting a football into a shot... glue was used. Didn't notice there was already one in there. Another case was adding a golf ball to a shot by using a simple hole punch. As well you can totally manipulate a shot just by cropping out a few of the dead or mangled body parts.

I've seen some pretty crappy work with a conventional airbrush. Never had a chance to use an animation camera, but I'm sure I could f*ck that up too. Not to mention all my failed exploits trying to cross process c-41 into e-6.

Being crappy at ps is just a new version of an old theme. We all need to learn screw-up re-learn and screw-up again. Sometimes we don't know crap is crap.

The only real difference I see these days.. is people think they have the skill because they have the tool. Give someone a darkroom and they'd be a bit overwhelmed, photoshop on the other hand seems like a magic bullet.

Aug 16 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Ansel Adams, who knew, and not by accident, when to be where made as deliberate, experimental, inquisitive, and repertorial a project as any of exploring the photo technology if his era.  I've got an instructional book or two of his somewhere around (fear moving, fear it very much, lol, especially if you're carrying a library of more than 2,000 volumes) as well as a popular softcover copy of the portfolios.  I don't think he'd have the slightest problem with computers and related elements emulating light-sensitive materials and processes; I do think he'd have a problem coming up with baselines or ideals for computer-generated images because there's little intrinsic in compution that begs for optimization or encourages such as other than a matter of audience/client demand, culture, and taste.  The close contenders, if any, may be dynamic range and gamut, and software users are  progressing oddly on those with cheap tricks while manufacturers and software developers are the ones to really address both of areas.

These days, one chooses to use illustration tools to generate something that looks "just like a photograph".  That's completely up to the artist.  There's not much of anything light sensitive past the chemo-electric-computational act of making an exposure.  What chemistry there is ends right there.  Because software is complex and, tool x tool, maleable, even the developers leave it to others to figure out, say, how to get total control over the black and white transition from a color file.  There are quite a few ways for doing that, none of them "photographic"--all of them computer-generated (unless Lambda's looking popular these days, and I doubt that).

I'm going to mess around with filters and layers and such (oh my!), but I'm equivocal about the meaning of working a photograph in an open-ended illustration process.

Aug 16 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

The "rules" have all changed now.  There are NONE!  It's down to core esthetics:  you either like the shot or not...be it "too much" PS, not enough, or just hate the shot- irregardless of the software.  SO WHAT?

In journalism, it's not "down to core esthetics" but ethics, and Reuters, lucky to be knowledgable about the alterations, chose fidelity to the recorded moment over dramatization.  It's not the first time photojournalists have been called out on desktop editing decisions and it won't be the last, but the newspaper community, and as a community, seems to want to say it tells the truth as best it can, and while it cannot achieve objectivity, that not being in the nature of the tools, including the humans who observe events and deliver copy or pictures, it believes in reporting facts before delivering opinions, and it believes in verifiable information over cant, supposition, and speculation.

Artists, on the other hand, have always the choice of "telling it like it is" or dressing it up according to taste.  The choice just got a lot easier over the past few years.

Aug 16 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

commart wrote:
Ansel Adams, who knew, and not by accident, when to be where made as deliberate, experiment, inquisitive, and repertorial a project as any of exploring the photo technology if his era.  I've got an instructional book or two of his somewhere around (fear moving, fear it very much, lol, especially if you're carrying a library of more than 2,000 volumes) as well as a popular softcover copy of the portfolios.  I don't think he'd have the slightest problem with computers and related elements emulating light-sensitive materials and processes; I do think he'd have a problem coming up with baselines or ideals for computer-generated images because there's little intrinsic in compution that begs for optimization or encourages such as other than a matter of audience/client demand, culture, and taste.  The close contenders, if any, may be dynamic range and gamut, and software users are  progressing oddly on those with cheap tricks while manufacturers and software developers are the ones to really address both of areas.

Ansel Adams, in "The Negative", 1981 wrote:
I eagerly await new concepts and processes. I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.

Aug 16 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Yup.

I'm not so sure about "inescapable structural characteristics"--we're awfully clever monkeys--but the attitude's in line.

Aug 16 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

Bridgette Marie

Tempe, Arizona, US

A *&@$#^%$# men. I hate it when I get great images and I ask for the large files and the photographer takes it upon himself to turn me into a mannequin. Can't he see did a great job without all the editing? It's aweful and not useable to a model at a casting. Like below....exactly what I mean, scary:

https://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k297/moxyphoto/85.jpg

VS Original

https://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k297/moxyphoto/bridgeheadshot.jpg

Aug 16 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Then you used too much!!!

I see lots of images out there that have plastic skin and ultra bright eyes. If you are going to edit in Photoshop then do it so it doesn't 'look' like you used photoshop.

Again, don't put out crap just to put something out....

M

I love it when people use too much PS. It helps differentiate my work: "Oh, that guy has taste."

There are a ton of model's portfolios on OMP with the over-PS'd look. I guess a lot of them like it. But from my point of view, it's "I can't tell what she looks like." That's a problem, because when you're looking for a model to work with, you kinda need to know what the model really looks like, and how she photographs.

Aug 16 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

All my images are Photoshopped.

I believe I did a good job. Lots of blemishes, wrinkles, and adjustments. Everyone her on MM have been PS'd.

I believe my work should be the bear minimum when it comes to using it in a practical sense. No?

M

Aug 16 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael LaPolla

Utica, New York, US

If someone is doing something wrong with photoshop let them do it! What do you care....is it taking money out of your pocket?Probably not...

Aug 16 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Michael LaPolla wrote:
If someone is doing something wrong with photoshop let them do it! What do you care....is it taking money out of your pocket?Probably not...

Because as someone who cares about making good images I think that it is important to  let others know. I has nothing to do with money, but maybe it will let someone know that they have to do better at what they do. Its about caring for photography and helping to raise the tide of talent. As a Photography Professional I feel obligated to help where I feel I can so that some may get better at their craft. Did I come across a little rough? Sure, but maybe more photogs will remember for next time.

M

Aug 16 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Stewart Photo

Houston, Texas, US

This sounds more like an argument between people who don't know how to use PS and people who do.

Aug 16 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Brian Stewart Photog wrote:
This sounds more like an argument between people who don't know how to use PS and people who do.

Succinct.

Still leaves off the difference in intended result, but certainly covers the most common complaint.

Aug 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

I should hate the two of you. My ex-demon from hell wife was t keyline paste up type kerner setter upper.

Now Bob, you can't blame us that you chose the wrong "layout" the first time around.

Aug 17 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

what if it isn't photoshop? My avatar isn't, it is in camera...

Star

Aug 17 06 08:58 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

I believe I did a good job. Lots of blemishes, wrinkles, and adjustments. Everyone her on MM have been PS'd.

I believe my work should be the bear minimum when it comes to using it in a practical sense. No?

M

no. now with this very statement it is a big fckn no.

no for you didnt do a good job but not bad.

no for the bear minimum should be like your work. it should be less or more.

before you try to set some standarts be aware of your skills. or just do your thing and let everybody else do theirs.

Aug 17 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Francisco, California, US

I don't rely on photoshop to "save" all my photos, but I do use it to create images that can't exist in the natural world. 

the whole plastic skin subject is old and i'm over it. you have to understand, some people (such as myself), do not have budget for a "proper" setup. So I look for other ways to compensate. Is my art great? That all depends. I find that many professionals don't find any value in my work. But I'm FINE with that. I drew the line that defines me and thats whats important.

Aug 17 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

West Images

Sacramento, California, US

Almost EVERY if not ALL world-wide magazines us photoshop on their photos.  It has become a tool that goes HAND-IN-HAND with photography.

At times I have taken photos of models, families, couples, whatever, and they were not happy with the pimple, the shadow, the scar, the red-eye. Then, POOF, a smile comes on their face and the CHECK BOOK comes out of their pocket becaue photoshop allowed me to edit that flaw/imperfection!

If you don't want to use photoshop, more power to you.  If most of your shots are COMPLETELY flawless and void of the above mentioned things.  DAMN YOUR GOOD!!!!

One more thing.....I see shots out there in MM'ers portfoilios that are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING cause they have been tweeked in photoshop.  Me...I LOVE IT!!!-

ALOHA

Aug 17 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

ok ok!! I promise, no more liquifying tool!!!   LOL  honestly, I've never used it, but yeah, I see a bunch of over ps'd images....all I can do is try and get better at ps, so that I can use it as a minor tool, not the meat & potatoes of the shot...

when it's overdone, it's like puttin' perfume on a pig...

$0.02

Aug 17 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

exactly...the OP is NOT complaining about Photoshop, but BAD PS hacks that make people look like Data from Star Trek.

Aug 17 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Bridgette Marie

Tempe, Arizona, US

Yes, minimum finished "good" ...plastic "bad"

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

Aug 17 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Photoshop is for LOSERS!

Look at the name in the lower left corner. LAHUU  ZEHER, LOSER!

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060812/00/44dd6a112f23a.jpg

Aug 17 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Bridgette Marie

Tempe, Arizona, US

and if you're the model getting the finished product and you can't even use it???? Then it's time to care.

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Because as someone who cares about making good images I think that it is important to  let others know. I has nothing to do with money, but maybe it will let someone know that they have to do better at what they do. Its about caring for photography and helping to raise the tide of talent. As a Photography Professional I feel obligated to help where I feel I can so that some may get better at their craft. Did I come across a little rough? Sure, but maybe more photogs will remember for next time.

M

Aug 17 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Aug 17 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Star wrote:

?

Aug 17 06 08:17 pm Link