Forums > General Industry > ...If you can tell you used Photoshop.....

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Then you used too much!!!

I see lots of images out there that have plastic skin and ultra bright eyes. If you are going to edit in Photoshop then do it so it doesn't 'look' like you used photoshop.

Again, don't put out crap just to put something out....

M

Aug 15 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Boy, I got slammed months ago for saying something rash like this; just wait.

Aug 15 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Prima Facie Photos

San Diego, California, US

I'm a bloody newbie but even I leave people some pores wink (comments on my work welcome)

Aug 15 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

Los Angeles, California, US

good....POINT OF VIEW.

Aug 15 06 08:19 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Boy, I got slammed months ago for saying something rash like this; just wait.

Because flat out proclamation like that are often wrong.
Just because it is true 80 % of the time does not mean the other 20 % would be even considered an exception to the rule.

It is a tool just as a camera is,  as is the body, as is makeup and clothing, and lights,  it is all how you use them and the look you want.

Max V and Michael Rosen are just terrible image makers.

Aug 15 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTODAC

Rutherford, New Jersey, US

To each his own. I have seen some fantastic work done here on MM with obvious PS editing. Everyone has their own style...if we didn't, every processed image would look the same.

Aug 15 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

MHana wrote:

Because flat out proclamation like that are often wrong.
Just because it is true 80 % of the time does not mean the other 20 % would be even considered an exception to the rule.

It is a tool just as a camera is,  as is the body, as is makeup and clothing, and lights,  it is all how you use them and the look you want.

Max V and Michael Rosen are just terrible image makers.

Look if you are making the skin look like plastic or taking out the every bit of shine out of the eyes it look like shit and should not be done. I don't care who does it. Its not art it is shit.

M

Aug 15 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

But what if I want an pop art look?

Aug 15 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

It depends ....

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=88348

I like this one a lot

Aug 15 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

I see lots of images out there that have plastic skin and ultra bright eyes. If you are going to edit in Photoshop then do it so it doesn't 'look' like you used photoshop.

M

Maybe you go and check out what people want like in magazines that sells (like Glamour, Vogue) Check out the cover and come back to me saying.

"If you can tell that you photoshopped... then you can tell" That's it.

They have plastic looking skin but this is what get publish. I read other fashion magazines such as Numero, French Revue where photoshop is down.

Aug 15 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Look if you are making the skin look like plastic or taking out the every bit of shine out of the eyes it look like shit and should not be done. I don't care who does it. Its not art it is shit.

M

there are MANY magazines arround that wont agree with you.....but if you have the absolute truth...well....good luck wink

Aug 15 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

http://home.sprynet.com/~mindweb/can.htm

and who says shit can't be labled as art????

Aug 15 06 08:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

That is just your opinion.  Over use of photoshop is a problem but the statement as you wrote is wrong in my opinion.

So there.

Aug 15 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

the amount of poor retouching that's out there is simply staggering.

again,
a photographer and or retoucher has to make that decision if they want people to look like china dolls with no flaws or to keep it real.

Aug 15 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Josue Pena wrote:
there are MANY magazines arround that wont agree with you.....but if you have the absolute true...well....good luck wink

Care to state the magazines? Don't mistaken what he's saying. He's not saying people shouldn't do retouching. There's good retouching and bad retouching. Bad retouching is when you take the blur in photoshop and apply it all over the face. Which magazine has editorials where the faces of models look like plastic?

Aug 15 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

go look at the magazine rack at your local book store and check yourself.

Aug 15 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTODAC

Michael Barian wrote:
the amount of poor retouching that's out there is simply staggering.

again,
a photographer and or retoucher has to make that decision if they want people to look like china dolls with no flaws or to keep it real.

Great point, and there is a fine line between the two.

I think it always depends on the initial image and how the photog/retoucher sees it...and how he envisions the final product.

Aug 15 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Photoshop is for LOSERS!

Aug 15 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

PS rule 1;

a model face must have NO lines
no pores
no pimples
no scars
no hair
no bumps
no expression

Aug 15 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

DeCola Studios

Grover Beach, California, US

Just spent a couple of hours turning a drab photo into one I like a lot.  Its my current avatar.  What do you think?

Aug 15 06 08:44 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Aug 15 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTODAC

DeCola Studios wrote:
Just spent a couple of hours turning a drab photo into one I like a lot.  Its my current avatar.  What do you think?

Very nice work...and the best thing about it...you can tell no PS was used!

Just kidding....but it is VERY good! Nice job.

Aug 15 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

LiliOPhoto wrote:
Care to state the magazines? Don't mistaken what he's saying. He's not saying people shouldn't do retouching. There's good retouching and bad retouching. Bad retouching is when you take the blur in photoshop and apply it all over the face. Which magazine has editorials where the faces of models look like plastic?

a lot my friend.....but well done wink
but everybody have their own mouse and tablets to apply wath they want or not in photoshop.......
so again....
good luck!

wink

Aug 15 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

LiliOPhoto wrote:

Maybe we should forbid make-up and push bras. I can use photoshop to use someone's perfect skin and map it someone else's face. That makes the person look real. It is still very fake.

Photography is a degrading process. You use soft light to not show imperfections. You use make-up to change the skin texture or even face shape. You change the way things are captured to make the viewer believe that's what it is. All is a masquerade and a cheating process.
Over-photoshopping the skin is ugly and vil (to me). But still, most of the reader don't even realize (did you know that?).

I hate plastic looking skin (and plastic boobies) but there are plenty of people out there that love all that.

I agree with Josue if you think that you have the absolute truth... good thing.

Aug 15 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

vile_Mab_vile

Denver, Colorado, US

you know i like some photoshop...cause without it my face...*shudders* lol jk but i have a large scar and its covered up by that...^_^ thank mankind for such creative things

Aug 15 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

DeCola Studios wrote:

The use of Photoshop to assist in the emulation of traditional photography is as much a matter of artifice and social convention as anything else.  Up to this point, we've seen some drift toward photo-illustration by photographers, but expect a stampede. 

The problem posed by wholesale photo-illustration from one critical standpoint: the photography community has held certain technical characteristics about photographs dear--clarity, low grain, high resolution, high lattitude, etc.--as well as aesthetic or philosophicle ones, including fidelity to the reality excised from time by an exposure.  We wanted photographs to look real and allow us to visually experience people, places, and things far removed from our own space and time.  All of that goes out the window with photo-illustration, which may be about commenting on the photograph at hand by distinctly altering just a few of its photographic characteristics or making a statement about a subject through collage or heavy filtering--i.e., taking away its singularity or its photographic characteristics as a whole. 

The discussion here is not about whether to improve a photograph through digital retouching but how far to take it before the work looks other than photographic.  As far as I'm concerned, the case for illustration has been settled and not in favor of fidelity in traditional photography, at least not among "photographers" playing up the illustration potential of the latest software.

Where fashion designers and magazine art directors stand as to how much  illustration they'll tolerate in advertising and editorial photography may be something to watch.  Where journalism is not primary, I expect to see a lot more hybrid work.

Aug 15 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bollocks! Well then my port must be absolute shit.... errrr, I mean. Yah, Photoshop sucks! My images are straight from the camera and my shit doesn't stink.. ahem. *nervous twitch*

Aug 15 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Your premise is hysterically funny. I could say much the same thing about cameras, too many people misuse them so all pictures taken with cameras are not art, they are shit. Nice going. While we are at it, too many people post bad threads bashing Photoshop, so all threads posted about using Photoshop are not art, they are shit. You will always see things that don't meet your satisfaction, what if the perpetrator used Paint Shop Pro and you are completely off target?? I'd be willing to bet I could take one of your "perfect" images (nice port by the way) and give it a bit of Photoshop magic and AT LEAST HALF the people who looked at the before and after would prefer the Photoshopped image. The gauntlet has been hurled!!

Aug 15 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

I tend to agree with you.

Some people use their photography as the base  and then pretty much DRAW/paint/alter over it with photoshop. For them the picture as taken is not the final product.  They turn photograph into a painting/art/illustration.

Aug 15 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Aug 15 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

commart wrote:

The use of Photoshop to assist in the emulation of traditional photography is as much a matter of artifice and social convention as anything else.  Up to this point, we've seen some drift toward photo-illustration by photographers, but expect a stampede. 

The problem posed by wholesale photo-illustration from one critical standpoint: the photography community has held certain technical characteristics about photographs dear--clarity, low grain, high resolution, high lattitude, etc.--as well as aesthetic or philosophicle ones, including fidelity to the reality excised from time by an exposure.  We wanted photographs to look real and allow us to visually experience people, places, and things far removed from our own space and time.  All of that goes out the window with photo-illustration, which may be about commenting on the photograph at hand by distinctly altering just a few of its photographic characteristics or making a statement about a subject through collage or heavy filtering--i.e., taking away its singularity or its photographic characteristics as a whole. 

The discussion here is not about whether to improve a photograph through digital retouching but how far to take it before the work looks other than photographic.  As far as I'm concerned, the case for illustration has been settled and not in favor of fidelity in traditional photography, at least not among "photographers" playing up the illustration potential of the latest software.

Where fashion designers and magazine art directors stand as to how much  illustration they'll tolerate in advertising and editorial photography may be something to watch.  Where journalism is not primary, I expect to see a lot more hybrid work.

That is a tongueful and exactly right on.

Aug 15 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'm an artist.

I can photograph, draw, and paint.

In photoshop, if I wish to, I can blend all the above...

www.makiclan.com

smile

Aug 15 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

britestoneproductions

Garden Home-Whitford, Oregon, US

Daniel Coppola wrote:
To each his own. I have seen some fantastic work done here on MM with obvious PS editing. Everyone has their own style...if we didn't, every processed image would look the same.

I agree with you

Aug 15 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Just noting that the OP has wisely edited his comments about art and shit. It does change the context of the replies, mine included.

Aug 15 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

D Freeman

Fresno, California, US

It's art and there are no rules.

Even if there were though.. *you* wouldn't get to decide what they are.

Aug 15 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

What everyone else said..See ya!

Aug 15 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Or too little, or done too poorly, or done for artistic purposes.

Invisible editing is my general approach, but it's NOT the only valid option. I chose it because it gives me results I like; others choose to take a more illustrative approach. So long as it's not journalism or forensic photography, I see nothing wrong with either style.

"BAD" editing, on the other hand, is a quality issue, not a style or quantity issue.

Aug 16 06 01:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Dan Doyle creates fantasy.  As does Playboy, Maxim, etc.
It is beautiful and it is unattainable in real life, but it is so pleasing to look at.
Creating art with a camera doesn't have to be pure.  Let's try not to hang people because of their style.
I like Renoir AND Picasso.

Aug 16 06 07:39 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

What's crap to one person is art to another...... by the way, did I ever tell you that I am actually a highly photoshopped chiuhuaha? True story.

Aug 16 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
http://home.sprynet.com/~mindweb/can.htm

and who says shit can't be labled as art????

Damn! Art, what is it? It's shit!..LOL

Not long ago I went on some big name artist photographers site and part of his collection is photos of piles of dung with all these "comments" by so called "art critics."

When I just got my brand new out of the box Yashica Electro TL back in 19...you don't want to know.....very first thing I photographed were piles of dog crap. Only because I couldn't get anyone to pose for me and the dog crap was plentiful.

What a surprise! I was an artist ahead of my time!

Aug 16 06 07:47 am Link