Forums > General Industry > Photog from this site stiffed me on the TFCD shoot

Model

Terri Seixas

Oceanside, California, US

I agreed to do a TFCD shoot with this photographer from this site, he said he'd email me some pics later that week and then I'd get a CD of all the photos. That was two weeks ago and I've never heard from him again. He's using my pictures, but doesn't even answer my messages. I don't really CARE because his pictures suck anyway, they aren't lit for shit...but it pisses me off that he is dishonest. Are we supposed to report this stuff to protect other models from getting screwed?

Aug 14 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Take a number, step in line.... we'll be with you in a moment.

Aug 14 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Terri Renee wrote:
I agreed to do a TFCD shoot with this photographer from this site, he said he'd email me some pics later that week and then I'd get a CD of all the photos. That was two weeks ago and I've never heard from him again. He's using my pictures, but doesn't even answer my messages. I don't really CARE because his pictures suck anyway, they aren't lit for shit...but it pisses me off that he is dishonest. Are we supposed to report this stuff to protect other models from getting screwed?

Sorry to hear that, Terri.  I just replied to another model's thread on the same subject.  Going public with a photographer's or model's name "who done you wrong" is a no-no on MM, and I don't recommend it, regardless.  I do have an email address on my profile, and anyone can "talk" with me directly.  In your case, if you talk, directly to other people via direct emails, phone, in person, or otherwise, that is no cocern of MM's.  However, choose your words carefully, even then, as they can come back to bite you.  Stick to the facts.  Don't flame or embellish.  If what you say is true, sooner or later, it will come back to him in reputation, which is everything in this business.

Do your best to put it behind you, and move on.  A good practice, when working with a new photographer, is to get names and contact information on a few models with whom he has worked recently.  They will tell you about any red flags.

Best,
Bob

Aug 14 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Meehan Photography wrote:
Take a number, step in line.... we'll be with you in a moment.

You might want to clue her in about the MM TFCD downloadable complaint form, MM-61786969B, which is submitted to the moderator with the last name closest to her middle name.  They will contact her, get supplemental info, and then proceed in due haste to publish it in forum id=11 so that all will be warned as to the offense .

Aug 14 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

candace marie

Athens, Ohio, US

There are like a million post just like this, this happens to most models i think. I have had this happen 4 times this year.. not getting pics on a tfp/cd shoot is very common. all you can do is move on and try agian next time.

Aug 14 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

Terri Seixas

Wow...I've modeled for six years and done several TFCD shoots, this never happened before. I'll be more careful next time. Fortunately his pictures aren't good anyway, so I'm not missing anything. I just hate dishonesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 14 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

List him on www.theibl.com then kick his ass!.. big_smile

Aug 14 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

Terri,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  Unfortunately, the idea of getting "stiffed" is alive and well on both sides of the camera.  On a side note, two weeks is really not that long to wait on photos, depending on how many photos are "keepers".  I typically take an average of 3-4 weeks to get pics to the model even though some of the "web versions" are ready within a day or two.  I have revised my process to include sending web versions to the model within a few days to use in his/her portfolio, but I choose to send the final product (high-res photos and web versions on a CD + a few prints) in one fell swoop. 

You never know what may be delaying the photographer.  Wouldn't you feel badly for trashing him if you found out he had a family emergency?  To be fair to you, however, he could probably at least email you to let you know what's going on.

Lance

Aug 14 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

Terri Seixas

I sent him messages here and on MySpace and he read them but didn't reply. And he had plenty of time to POST my photos in his profiles, so I don't think it's anything bad. HAHA!

Aug 14 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Terri Renee wrote:

If you shot w/ a really good photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  Those that are in demand have high numbers of people waiting for product.  Product = pictures.  He/she's got to prioritize and if you're not a "paying" customer. . .you're probably on the back burner.  Doesn't mean they won't get to you. . .just means you have to wait your turn.

If you shot w/an okay photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  Individuals trying to make a name for themselves often book more business than they can handle.  Be patient.  The images will come.

If you shot w/a mediocre photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  He's got to Google "how to download pictures from your new digital camera."  This may take a while.

If you shot w/a GWC. . .you're going to . . .hell, you're not getting your images per they've been added to his list of "see who I've boinked" online.

Aug 14 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Terri Renee wrote:

As I tell everyone else.  Stop shooting with other photographers.  Shoot with me and me only.  I may not be the best, but I'll get you some good stuff and answer my mail and phone.  And when I'm in a REALLY good mood, I let people buy me lunch!

Aug 14 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

see, I would use any excuse to shoot you again and again. I am good with excuses.

Maybe the pics were not top quality and he is trying to hide them fom you.

Aug 14 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

I wish there was a way around this b/c he makes the honest photographers look bad.  Then models end up not trusting photographers who've taken photoCDs from me and not finished the shoot they initially agreed upon.  I have never not given a model their photoCD even though that doesn't help you.  What I would like to see is somebody suggest a doable solution to this problem.   I don't know what one could be at this moment.  Karma is a bee-aachh!  I feel for you.

Aug 14 06 05:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

*guffaw* on the 'mediocre photographer' advice....LOL!

Jayne Jones wrote:

If you shot w/ a really good photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  Those that are in demand have high numbers of people waiting for product.  Product = pictures.  He/she's got to prioritize and if you're not a "paying" customer. . .you're probably on the back burner.  Doesn't mean they won't get to you. . .just means you have to wait your turn.

If you shot w/an okay photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  Individuals trying to make a name for themselves often book more business than they can handle.  Be patient.  The images will come.

If you shot w/a mediocre photographer. . .you're probably going to be waiting a while for images.  He's got to Google "how to download pictures from your new digital camera."  This may take a while.

If you shot w/a GWC. . .you're going to . . .hell, you're not getting your images per they've been added to his list of "see who I've boinked" online.

Aug 14 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Terri Renee wrote:
I sent him messages here and on MySpace and he read them but didn't reply. And he had plenty of time to POST my photos in his profiles, so I don't think it's anything bad. HAHA!

but if he is displaying your pics, just copy screen and use them if you like

Aug 14 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Flash Vividere

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I hear more complaints about models that don't show up and there is a site to report them:

noshowmodels.com

I would guess about 1/3 of the models I schedule with don't show, like the one today.

Most of them don't even bother to call or give you some bullshit excuse, they just don't show or call at all.  I used to get angry, now I get even instead smile

Aug 14 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
see, I would use any excuse to shoot you again and again. I am good with excuses.

I was going to say the same thing.  Maybe the photographer is not happy with his work.  Or, maybe he has a family emergency.  Or, maybe you're one of 20 people he needs to respond to.  However, if it were me and you were on the list of people to get back to and I read a blog stating how crappy my work was I'd probably put you behind the people I haven't shot with yet.  I'd be carefull bashing peoples work and names online.  It's never positive.

I shot with a model once for trade ...  I gave her a handful of lift tickets to a good ski resort and some cash for a shoot.  Then I sent a CD which was returned in the mail due to a bad address.  I haven't tried sending that CD back to her and still feel pretty bad about it.  But, sometimes things happen that are out of our control.

Edit:  My point there was ...  she probably thinks I'm a flake for not sending a CD.  In short, I tried and it just didn't work out.

KO

Aug 14 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

I have also shoot for many years, and never stiffed a model for their images.  However, I have to be honest, I have taken a few months on a few occasions, but I have always at least kept in contact and let then know what was up.  Paying clients always take precedence and I always let the models know that up front.  Every model told me it was worth the wait.

I mention this only because post like this make photographers as a whole look like snakes.  Just like post about flakes make the industry as a whole look bad.  The best advice is to keep working and make this experience insignificant to your career. 

Also, keep pestering this photographer untill it is easier to give you teh images than avoid you.  Also, do not just email him, start calling, letters, maybe even take him to small claims court.  Whatever you think it is worth, and dependning on what you have actually have in writing will help you get far.

No matter what you agree to, if you do not get it in writing, you are sol because teh law sides on the photogarpher usually.

Just my opinion and good luck.
M

Aug 14 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:
List him on www.theibl.com then kick his ass!.. big_smile

That's a bullshit site.
I joined about six months ago and still have not been validated.
I've emailed the admin and never got a reply.
So it's bullshit.

Aug 14 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Study in Light

Portland, Oregon, US

Stop for a minute and think about how many shots were taken of you?  If it was a location shoot, 200-400 shots in a few hours is not uncommon.  Weeding out the technical and aesthetic mistakes takes time as does any editing that needs to take place.  Got a zit on your forehead that shows no matter how much makeup?  Thats even more photoshop time than just basic editing.  Multiply that by however many other shoots done in a weeks time and now you're looking at a backlog.  If the photographer is sought after and keeps busy then you should probably expect delays

I always post pics for the models as soon as they become available.  If it is a first shoot with someone, I try to go through and grab a handful of shots that grab my eye and put them up within 24 hours so they can at least see *something.*

On the other hand, if you are being ignored and an unreasonable amount of time has passed, it sure as hell isn't going to hurt anything to ring the photog's phone a couple of times a day.

One gal who was quite eager for her pics was getting a little impatient after only a couple of days.  She told me she'd buy me lunch if I'd meet her with her CD the next afternoon.  You bet I made her a priority and burned a few extra hours late that night to be sure her stuff was done.  That was a nice touch on her part.  Something like that is certainly not required or expected, but a little upfront friendliness seems to go a long way in this biz.

I have 3 shoots on disc waiting for me (and, why, you ask, am I browsing in here!) and it will take me the rest of today and most of the morning tomorrow to finish it all up if I want to be sure it is done well.

I dunno....thats just some general thoughts on the whole process.  I haven't had any complaints yet.  If we agree to shoot again, some girls simply wait until we meet up again to grab their cd and seem quite happy with online postings.

This biz can be so much fun that I always hate to see people griping about others but I suppose its inevitable.  A shame, really.

Aug 14 06 05:54 pm Link

Model

Terri Seixas

I'm just going to let it go, like I said, the pics aren't good anyway. It's the PRINCIPLE of it, that's all. If he didn't think the pics were good, he wouldn't be posting them to promote his work. Like  I've said before, I've done SEVERAL TFCD shoots in the past six years, and I've never had a problem before. So I think it's just a few bad seeds! And as for unprofessional models, I am sure that is a huge problem, too. I actually call the night before a shoot to confirm everything and am always on time. There are always a few bad apples in every profession!

Aug 14 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

Morristown, New Jersey, US

How busy could anyone be not to be able to mail a CD for over two weeks, let alone 3 months?

Unless the photographer is in prison (which is always possible), or has been run over by a bus and is in hospital, just how much time does it take to burn a CD of images? Less than it did to shoot them and the photographer managed to find time in his busy schedule for that.

Even if you do some editing (which I always do), is there really anyone who is SO busy that they can't find the time to make good on a promise (actually, more than a promise, a business deal).

My models get shots on the day of the shoot by email, then a CD within 7 days. There's no excuse besides injury or incarceration for taking significantly longer. Just get up a few minutes earlier or go to bed a few minutes later and DO IT.

If a photographer is too busy to mail you a CD, just ask if he has time to to a nude TFCD session with you. I'll bet he's not too busy to do that.

This business is full of flakes and fakers on both sides of the camera.

Aug 14 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I have a model release on file that the model signed, but did not put down any contact information whatsoever.  That's ok, because she scowled and frowned the entire time I spent photographing her, so the photos look awful.  (She didn't like the location or the hot weather)  I have no intent of using any of them.

C'est la vie.............

Aug 14 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

Morristown, New Jersey, US

If the photographs are bad, it's as much the fault of the photographer as it is the model, if not more so. It's a photographer's job to get the best out of a model.

You can't make something great out of nothing, but even with a difficult model the shots don't have to be awful.

Unless a model accosts you on the street, you always have some way of contacting her, either a phone number or email.

Aug 14 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Why may I ask is it so wrong to place someones name here who
1) joined the site of their own free will
2) contacts people to work with them,either side of the camera.
3) Fails to act in a courteous manner(let alone pro like)
4) Takes images of someone and basicly steals them.
If MM Can't/Won't police this site,should we not?
All I hear are excuses and "we have heard it all before" so lets not deal with it. If this was an agency it would be out of bussiness in a week. Should we as the people most affected by it not demand better from those associated with the site? I am new here but not new to the industry at all. I did not come here to start trouble, only to find people who wish to make something of their talent.
Why not stop glossing over the issue while MM becomes the laughing stock of the industry and do something about it?
Hadyn Lassiter
HU/NU/CRU

Aug 14 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Bingo

Aug 14 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

1.  why would you agree to shoot with a photographer who sucks?

2.  did you sign a contract outlining that you were being compensated for your services with a CD of the resulting images?  if not, you're SOL.

Aug 14 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Why may I ask is it so wrong to place someones name here who
1) joined the site of their own free will
2) contacts people to work with them,either side of the camera.
3) Fails to act in a courteous manner(let alone pro like)
4) Takes images of someone and basicly steals them.
If MM Can't/Won't police this site,should we not?
All I hear are excuses and "we have heard it all before" so lets not deal with it. If this was an agency it would be out of bussiness in a week. Should we as the people most affected by it not demand better from those associated with the site? I am new here but not new to the industry at all. I did not come here to start trouble, only to find people who wish to make something of their talent.
Why not stop glossing over the issue while MM becomes the laughing stock of the industry and do something about it?
Hadyn Lassiter
HU/NU/CRU

I though MM was already the laughing stock of the industry? We'd tried so hard with all naked ladies and webcam pictures...

The other mods decided not to allow it because there are two sides (or more) to every story and we're not in a proper position to judge.  These threads often turn into a cyber-lynching by the third post when names are named. Hell, someone could have a bad break-up and start posting all sorts of BS about a model or photographer that's patently false.  Unless there is proof that can be displayed in the thread (not likely) or comments are stated as opinions as part of a greater discussion, we don't allow it.

Aug 14 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Richards

I tell models not to do tfcd, but if they do, make the photographer sign a contract to lock them into getting you your pics by a certain time, and the CD. If they don't want to sign it, then don't work with them.  Most models have to drive to the shoot, sometimes in other cities.  They work their schedules around to make the shoot.  They are half of the shoot, and therefore should have their rights protected on the shoot as well if you are doing it for no pay.

Aug 14 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brilliant Exposure

Plymouth, Michigan, US

I never understood this. After a shoot i usually review all the shots with the model. We select the shots we like and i burn her a cd right there on the laptop. A week or so later i send her a few edited prints for her port. I dont understand what is so hard about that. just my 2 cents.

Len

Aug 14 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

f4 Photo wrote:
If the photographs are bad, it's as much the fault of the photographer as it is the model, if not more so. It's a photographer's job to get the best out of a model.

You can't make something great out of nothing, but even with a difficult model the shots don't have to be awful.

Unless a model accosts you on the street, you always have some way of contacting her, either a phone number or email.

She was a tag-along on a photo shoot with two other models.  I worked the shoot with another photographer.  She did not give contact information on his release either.  He has her email and has requested an address several times.  She blows his request off with a "just send it to [one of the other models]"  He didn't get very good shots from her either.  Both of us got great shots with the other two models.  For my part, when it became obvious after a couple of dozen shots that she didn't want to play, I quit photographing her.  Like I said, she was a tag-along and only wanted pictures for her Myspace page.  She's never contacted me or the other photographer asking for her photos.  He gave up trying to get an address from her.

Aug 14 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

theda wrote:

I though MM was already the laughing stock of the industry? We'd tried so hard with all naked ladies and webcam pictures...

The other mods decided not to allow it because there are two sides (or more) to every story and we're not in a proper position to judge.  These threads often turn into a cyber-lynching by the third post when names are named. Hell, someone could have a bad break-up and start posting all sorts of BS about a model or photographer that's patently false.  Unless there is proof that can be displayed in the thread (not likely) or comments are stated as opinions as part of a greater discussion, we don't allow it.

Thanks, I still feel if your innocent and have the entire email converstaion to show it would not be hard to sift the truth. But thank you all the same,we have webcams here??
Neked womens is fun aint day Cletus...unh uhhh

Aug 14 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Terri Renee wrote:

Sorry to hear that Terri, that kind of stuff makes it harder for all of us.

Aug 14 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Work long enough in this industry something like this is bound to eventually happen. Whether it be a model not receiving their images, a model not showing up to a shoot, or a client backing out &/or not liking what was produced.

Take it as a "war loss," learn from it & move on.

Aug 14 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

Jim Ball wrote:

She was a tag-along on a photo shoot with two other models.  I worked the shoot with another photographer.  She did not give contact information on his release either.  He has her email and has requested an address several times.  She blows his request off with a "just send it to [one of the other models]"  He didn't get very good shots from her either.  Both of us got great shots with the other two models.  For my part, when it became obvious after a couple of dozen shots that she didn't want to play, I quit photographing her.  Like I said, she was a tag-along and only wanted pictures for her Myspace page.  She's never contacted me or the other photographer asking for her photos.  He gave up trying to get an address from her.

Well that supports Theda's reasoning for not allowing name bashing.  Interesting to hear!  KO

Aug 14 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Mark Richards wrote:
I tell models not to do tfcd, but if they do, make the photographer sign a contract to lock them into getting you your pics by a certain time, and the CD. If they don't want to sign it, then don't work with them.  Most models have to drive to the shoot, sometimes in other cities.  They work their schedules around to make the shoot.  They are half of the shoot, and therefore should have their rights protected on the shoot as well if you are doing it for no pay.

Let's step back for a moment.

Is a time-release release even enforceable for non-commerical use? Doesn't the photographer (for lack of a better word) own the image &/or rights to it after they press the shutter?

But regardless of that answer, let's look at the flipside of that. The photographer is the one that carries the expertise, the equipment, probably pays for the studio, probably spends gas money getting their to, spends god knows how many hours sifting through the shoot & then editing the images. So the way I'm looking at it, each side is paying something in the hopes of getting something.

Yes, her situation does suck. Yes, its not right what the photographer has done.

But we're only hearing one side of the story. He may very well have emailed the images & have it bounced. I've certainly had that happen on a number of occasions, only to find out when I've seen the person on AIM.

Aug 14 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

Am I the only one that sees Jim Balls response.

Aug 14 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

candace marie wrote:
There are like a million post just like this, this happens to most models i think. I have had this happen 4 times this year.. not getting pics on a tfp/cd shoot is very common. all you can do is move on and try agian next time.

Why let these guys off the hook?  Maybe you are just a sweet woman who would rather not make an issue of it, but when a model and photographer agree to do a TF-CD, an agreement is made.  Both parties should live up to their end of the deal.  For every photographer that stiffs a model and for every model that flakes on a photographer, a little more distrust is created.  People become jaded.

I pride myself on being a man of my word. I do my absolute best to deliver what I promise and agree to do. And every time some photographer breaks his contract with a model, it makes it that much more difficult to attract models and convince them that I do not operate like that...that they will get the CD if they work with me.

It makes me mad! A stiffed model certainly has the right--and even the obligation--to be totally pissed off as well!

Just my two cents.

Alan

Aug 14 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Terri Seixas

No "bounced" emails...I messaged him here and at MySpace...both were READ but not replied to.

Aug 14 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Laura Merced

Austin, Indiana, US

Keep hounding him....Maybe six weeks from now you might get it...if you are lucky...Can't win them all...

Aug 14 06 08:53 pm Link