Forums > General Industry > Where have all the American "Supermodels" gone?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ironic that in a country trying so hard to create the next Supermodel with such shows as Americas Next Top Model - there really are no currently active  top Ammerican Supermodels 

Its really still all about Giselle , Kate , Naomi ( British ) and the rest who are generally Eastern European /Russian , Brasilian , with a few African and even Canadian Models sprinkled in ......

Where did the Americans go ?

Aug 12 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

They are coming back very very soon.... I am confident!

Aug 12 06 01:46 am Link

Model

Trevasia

Livermore, California, US

HMMM....MAYBE WE'LL CLONE ONE OF THE BRITISH MODELS ON AMERICAN SOIL...WHICH WILL MAKE HER AMERICAN....GIVE HER A LITTLE PLASTIC SURGERY...JUST BECAUSE ITS AMERICA AND SEND HER OUT INTO THE WORLD AS THE NEXT SUPERMODEL...NO??

Aug 12 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Trevasia wrote:
HMMM....MAYBE WE'LL CLONE ONE OF THE BRITISH MODELS ON AMERICAN SOIL...WHICH WILL MAKE HER AMERICAN....GIVE HER A LITTLE PLASTIC SURGERY...JUST BECAUSE ITS AMERICA AND SEND HER OUT INTO THE WORLD AS THE NEXT SUPERMODEL...NO??

No , I dont think thats the answer

I think the answer is ..................

You ! 

Seriously - Your tall , beautiful  , photograph well etc

Aug 12 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Garry k wrote:
No , I dont think thats the answer

I think the answer is ..................

You ! 

Seriously - Your tall , beautiful  , photograph well etc

Trevasia rocks!!!

Aug 12 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

"American supermodels" is a contradiction in terms, especially if they are anything like the wannabes on ANTM.

The closest you will come are those appearing in "Anal Fantasy 5"

Studio36

Aug 12 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Personally I'll take the eastern European models anyday...However, a good American model does come around every now and then.

Right now, I'll put Marisa Miller up against any of the Russian girls! big_smile

Aug 12 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

They've gotten short and fat.

Aug 12 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

they all got married to billy joel

Aug 12 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Garry k wrote:
Ironic that in a country trying so hard to create the next Supermodel with such shows as Americas Next Top Model - there really are no currently active  top Ammerican Supermodels 

Its really still all about Giselle , Kate , Naomi ( British ) and the rest who are generally Eastern European /Russian , Brasilian , with a few African and even Canadian Models sprinkled in ......

So who is to blame for killing off the American Supermodel .... ANTM ?,or maybe its all that obsessive  atttention paid to those actor /celebs like  Paris  et al .........

Or is it a case of the Fashion Industry continually looking for the  different , the foriegn  and exotiic - and not appreciating whats rights under their noses

Aug 12 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Maybe America just could care less about supermodels? 

Oh wait, that's just me..

Aug 12 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

well i thinks time for a new era. mixed beauties!! beauties from different ehnic backgrounds theyre mysterious and exotic looking! i see it eveywhere.

Aug 12 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Techno Images wrote:
well i thinks time for a new era. mixed beauties!! beauties from different ehnic backgrounds theyre mysterious and exotic looking! i see it eveywhere.

True more divesity is in the winds.
FWIW - We use alot of US Girls in Europe.
Import is still hot here and there.

EL

Aug 12 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Seems like most have left America, and gone to other countries.

What is it for them to do here? All the models of the world end up in America, why don't we just send ours over there and take over THEIR country? LOL

Aug 12 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Christine

Arent' there a lot in NY?  Or are they from other countries...

Aug 12 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Looking at the covers of magazines these days who do we see on the covers?? More often celebs than models. We see Paris, Jennifer, Lindsay, Nicole K., etc., and less and less of the supermodels. These days here in the US we are more likely to see a reality show "star" on the cover of a mag. Even the spreads inside will often feature actresses, and actresses/celebs/media darlings are seen walking the runways during fashion week on occasion.

Is it like that in other countries? I do not really know, since I do not see many of their magazines? Which is probably why American models work more overseas.

Aug 13 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Giselle is from Brazil, not Britain (unless I was misinterpreting).

Supermodels aren't needed as much anymore. There's more actresses as "the face of (whoever)" than models these days.

Aug 13 06 06:20 am Link

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

Benedict wrote:
Giselle is from Brazil, not Britain (unless I was misinterpreting).

Supermodels aren't needed as much anymore. There's more actresses as "the face of (whoever)" than models these days.

Right.

Think about the "Golden Days" of Supermodels.  In those days, actresses weren't making the glamorous appearances on the red carpet like they are now... so there was kind of a vacuum that allowed supermodels to thrive.

Aug 14 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Carina Comeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Thats it, I'm getting into acting. Pronto.

Aug 14 06 01:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sommer Mbonu Pro Makeup

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

The era of the "supermodel" died at 11:59 pm on january 1999. That was a moment in time  in the 90s. A frenzy period where fashion was peaked and the supermodels were "icons". Now it is  merely the time of the model.......
There will never be a group of models that captured the attention of the industry as the above mentioned. Now it is difficult to name 5 major models , most are not memorable.Simply beautiful. They dont have the personality of the 1990s models.........

Aug 14 06 01:29 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Michelle Renee K wrote:
Looking at the covers of magazines these days who do we see on the covers?? More often celebs than models. We see Paris, Jennifer, Lindsay, Nicole K., etc., and less and less of the supermodels. These days here in the US we are more likely to see a reality show "star" on the cover of a mag. Even the spreads inside will often feature actresses, and actresses/celebs/media darlings are seen walking the runways during fashion week on occasion.

Is it like that in other countries? I do not really know, since I do not see many of their magazines? Which is probably why American models work more overseas.

Exactly, the American consumer doesn't want to see a model, they want an actress.Supermodels have to be household name and well americans don't want models. They're trying to make selita ebanks into the next american supermodel, from what i read.

Aug 14 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

there could be many plausible explanations, if it is actually true (i haven't tallied).  maybe we are all getting too fat.  maybe the rampant misguided idea of feminism that many have prevents them from "objectifying themselves".  maybe we are too lazy to 'make it".

Aug 14 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

N3 Media wrote:

Right.

Think about the "Golden Days" of Supermodels.  In those days, actresses weren't making the glamorous appearances on the red carpet like they are now... so there was kind of a vacuum that allowed supermodels to thrive.

And most of todays actresses are former models ...Halle , Charlise . Rebeca , Uma etc

Aug 14 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Electra T wrote:

Exactly, the American consumer doesn't want to see a model, they want an actress.Supermodels have to be household name and well americans don't want models. They're trying to make selita ebanks into the next american supermodel, from what i read.

Then who are all those gals filling up the literally hundreds of pages of Vogue advertising in their Sept issue ....

Aug 14 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

promakeupondemand wrote:
The era of the "supermodel" died at 11:59 pm on january 1999. That was a moment in time  in the 90s. A frenzy period where fashion was peaked and the supermodels were "icons". Now it is  merely the time of the model.......
There will never be a group of models that captured the attention of the industry as the above mentioned. Now it is difficult to name 5 major models , most are not memorable.Simply beautiful. They dont have the personality of the 1990s models.........

Could be right ......

Aug 14 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Erin Wasson, from Texas... she was pretty big (not fat) for a minute...

Aug 14 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Garry k wrote:

They have sex with me and then are no longer considered super. sad

Aug 14 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

Lindsey Marie

Detroit, Michigan, US

I agree with what part of Michelle Renee K said about the magazine covers and actresses.  Ask your average American for a model's name other than Tyra, and many don't know any.  It's a bummer, but I also think the ethnic, diverse look is what is sought after.

Boo!

Aug 14 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

LifeIsBeautiful

Newark, Delaware, US

um hi
*waves hand*
im right here
big_smile
hehehe

Dec 02 06 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Liora Ellis wrote:
um hi
*waves hand*
im right here
big_smile
hehehe

Well you are hot , but why did it take you 4 mos to respond to this ..busy shooting schedule?

Dec 02 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Memi Haute

Garry k wrote:

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think Tyra was considered a supermodel, and since she quit...there went the last American Supermodel.

Oh well... I happily volunteer to become the next American Supermodel. https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/tongue.gif

Dec 02 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

I'll vote for you

Dec 02 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Garry k wrote:

Well you are hot , but why did it take you 4 mos to respond to this ..busy shooting schedule?

her first shoot was less than 3 months old. she would be famous someday. big_smile

Dec 02 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Gina McNeil wrote:

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think Tyra was considered a supermodel, and since she quit...there went the last American Supermodel.

Oh well... I happily volunteer to become the next American Supermodel. https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/tongue.gif

let's start a campagin for gina and liora! big_smile

Dec 02 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Leo Chan wrote:

let's start a campagin for gina and liora! big_smile

I agree

Dec 02 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Maybe America just could care less about supermodels? 

Oh wait, that's just me..

No, I agree.  Supermodels don't sell American magazines, actresses and attention whores do.

Dec 02 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1kailadoll9045fgs.jpg

Where did the American's go? To school, then to college.

The great truth that no one will say is that this is about economics. American girls now have opportunities that their mothers could only dream about, and this is not true for the girls coming out of Eastern Europe or Brazil. A Ukrainian mom will drive her fifteen year old daughter to the airport and ship her to (Paris, Milam, Miami or New York) without a moments hesitation. When average incomes are $100 a month, why not?

In American no one would tell a fourteen, fifteen, sixteen year old girl to drop out of school and chase the circus, in Brazil this looks like an excellent plan. Do a little research on how old Gisele, Adriana, Laetitia, Kate, Karolina and Gema were when they got started and you begin to realize why we're not going to see (many) big girls from the states again. Not a bad thing, probably a good thing, but definitely a true thing.

We had a beautiful girl come down to Miami and get started at age 18. We all thought she had a shot at being the next big American girl. She had a good start, but at that age she had personal relationships that ultimately trumped her experience in the business and the lights went out. If you can't get 'um started young, the chances they will stay long enough to become the next big thing are pretty small.

Well, you asked.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Dec 02 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

John Fisher wrote:
https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1kailadoll9045fgs.jpg

Where did the American's go? To school, then to college.

The great truth that no one will say is that this is about economics. American girls now have opportunities that their mothers could only dream about, and this is not true for the girls coming out of Eastern Europe or Brazil. A Ukrainian mom will drive her fifteen year old daughter to the airport and ship her to (Paris, Milam, Miami or New York) without a moments hesitation. When average incomes are $100 a month, why not?

In American no one would tell a fourteen, fifteen, sixteen year old girl to drop out of school and chase the circus, in Brazil this looks like an excellent plan. Do a little research on how old Gisele, Adriana, Laetitia, Kate, Karolina and Gema were when they got started and you begin to realize why we're not going to see (many) big girls from the states again. Not a bad thing, probably a good thing, but definitely a true thing.

We had a beautiful girl come down to Miami and get started at age 18. We all thought she had a shot at being the next big American girl. She had a good start, but at that age she had personal relationships that ultimately trumped her experience in the business and the lights went out. If you can't get 'um started young, the chances they will stay long enough to become the next big thing are pretty small.

Well, you asked.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Great insight. Girls from Europe and Latin America do have less drama following them and are more determined.

Dec 02 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Leo Chan wrote:

Great insight. Girls from Europe and Latin America do have less drama following them and are more determined.

I agree with John Fisher but I think that Leo is missing the mark here.  American girls might be just as determined, just in other areas, like school, having meaningful relationships, etc.  Why should someone with great prospects for a career that will last a lifetime and be secure, throw themselves (or be thrown be their families) into modeling full time at 16?  American women have more opportunities than almost any other group of women in the world, we value ourselves so we're less likely to take big risks.  I don't think that has anything to do with "drama" or "determination".

Dec 02 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

I agree with John Fisher but I think that Leo is missing the mark here.  American girls might be just as determined, just in other areas, like school, having meaningful relationships, etc.  Why should someone with great prospects for a career that will last a lifetime and be secure, throw themselves (or be thrown be their families) into modeling full time at 16?  American women have more opportunities than almost any other group of women in the world, we value ourselves so we're less likely to take big risks.  I don't think that has anything to do with "drama" or "determination".

Well said.

Dec 02 06 01:08 pm Link