Forums > General Industry > Where have all the American "Supermodels" gone?

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Kristin Anne wrote:

Well said.

Thanks Kristin - I think you are a super model!

Dec 02 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Leo Chan wrote:
Great insight. Girls from Europe and Latin America do have less drama following them and are more determined.

Sarah Ellis wrote:
I agree with John Fisher but I think that Leo is missing the mark here.  American girls might be just as determined, just in other areas, like school, having meaningful relationships, etc.  Why should someone with great prospects for a career that will last a lifetime and be secure, throw themselves (or be thrown be their families) into modeling full time at 16?  American women have more opportunities than almost any other group of women in the world, we value ourselves so we're less likely to take big risks.  I don't think that has anything to do with "drama" or "determination".

Excellent, excellent response.

And bumped to see what post number 40 says...

Dec 02 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

We're not the prettiest people on earth. Still, with over 300 million of us, you'd think we'd have a FEW.

(I guarantee you there's a Christy Turlington out there somewhere, but right now she just might not be found. And so it goes...)

Actually, economic opportunity, drama, determination, feminism, all of it that most of you have mentioned. I think it all has played its part. Having spent the last few years in several foreign countries, including one that produces an awful lot of top models on a regular basis with a very small population, I can tell you that other people are just not like we are, for better and worse.

Dec 02 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
We're not the prettiest people on earth. Still, with over 300 million of us, you'd think we'd have a FEW.

(I guarantee you there's a Christy Turlington out there somewhere, but right now she just might not be found. And so it goes...)

Actually, economic opportunity, drama, determination, feminism, all of it that most of you have mentioned. I think it all has played its part. Having spent the last few years in several foreign countries, including one that produces an awful lot of top models on a regular basis with a very small population, I can tell you that other people are just not like we are, for better and worse.

Marko, do you think the general population's attitude towards hardwork has something to do with it? Also, I am not from this country originally, do you see a more acceptence of criticism from people in other countries you've travelled to?
I ran into a lot of problems at the early stage of my career here because I got burt many times for telling people my honest opinions. Now I just keep them to myself most of the time, unless I am relatively unknown to the people I am speaking to (like here).

Dec 02 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
I agree with John Fisher but I think that Leo is missing the mark here.  American girls might be just as determined, just in other areas, like school, having meaningful relationships, etc.  Why should someone with great prospects for a career that will last a lifetime and be secure, throw themselves (or be thrown be their families) into modeling full time at 16?  American women have more opportunities than almost any other group of women in the world, we value ourselves so we're less likely to take big risks.  I don't think that has anything to do with "drama" or "determination".

I am a college professor in my day job, so that's my point of references. Maybe the college population is an biased sample, but seeing how many no-show threads here, I think I can stand by my opinion. smile

Dec 02 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:

Thanks Kristin - I think you are a super model!

Thank you!  The feeling is mutual.

Dec 02 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Most of us are too short sad

Dec 02 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Leo Chan wrote:
I am a college professor in my day job, so that's my point of references. Maybe the college population is an biased sample, but seeing how many no-show threads here, I think I can stand by my opinion. smile

I teach at a University as well, and I can see where you're coming from.  At my school, it seems like doing exactly as little work as you can to get by is more highly rewarded than giving your all.  That said, my foreign students can be just as apathetic as the locals.

Dec 02 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Leo Chan wrote:
I ran into a lot of problems at the early stage of my career here because I got burt many times for telling people my honest opinions. Now I just keep them to myself most of the time, unless I am relatively unknown to the people I am speaking to (like here).

I'm not Marko and I don't presume to speak for him...

...but in my experience with honest opinions, there have never been people more honest than the one's who were signing my checks on the work I do.  Running a close second were the photographers whom I assisted starting out and the ones who continue to mentor me at present.  When I show/showed them new photos to get feedback they are/were quite willing to rip me a new asshole if it is/was warranted. 

Giving honest opinions or criticism isn't anything unique to foreigners.  Nor have I ever viewed any common inability to accept criticism or so-called "honest opinions" on the part of Americans.  I've found that people in general, simply aren't quick to accept the opinion/feedback/criticism of someone they feel to be unqualified to provide it. 

What may be an commonality among Americans is a skeptical view of who's qualified...

Dec 02 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Well, there is Jessica Miller...  smile

https://www.ccaf.com.cn/Upload/images/2004-12-22/W020041222395446549525.jpg

Dec 02 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
I teach at a University as well, and I can see where you're coming from.  At my school, it seems like doing exactly as little work as you can to get by is more highly rewarded than giving your all.  That said, my foreign students can be just as apathetic as the locals.

That makes three of us...and I agree with your observations.  Students from some specific parts of the world, you can certainly see more drives.  Those from "developed" countries generally are more apathetic, yes, I agree.

Dec 02 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

LifeIsBeautiful

Newark, Delaware, US

Leo Chan wrote:

let's start a campagin for gina and liora! big_smile

im liking the sound of that
big_smile
hahaha sorry it took so long. i havent even been on this site for three months lol.
i just searched supermodels and found this
*blushes*

Dec 02 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
What may be an commonality among Americans is a skeptical view of who's qualified...

Very true. I had thousands of students in my classes over the last few years. I always get 2 to 3 undergrads (usually those who are failing) every year who think they're more qualified than me in their field I am teaching. Never mind they can't even do the simpe 6th grade math. . .

Dec 02 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

lll wrote:

That makes three of us...and I agree with your observations.  Students from some specific parts of the world, you can certainly see more drives.  Those from "developed" countries generally are more apathetic, yes, I agree.

Interesting observation, Leo. It is true at my unviersity as well. We have only a few foreign students from developed countries. Most of our foreign students are from Africa and they told me they had to walk miles just to get to school back home. They never complained about too much work. Students from, say Germany and Canada, are much more like the locals. So, we should expect most of the future super models to come from Eastern Europe and Latina America?

Dec 02 06 04:21 pm Link

Model

Memi Haute

lll wrote:

Well, there is Jessica Miller...  smile

https://www.ccaf.com.cn/Upload/images/2004-12-22/W020041222395446549525.jpg

She's beautiful. I want her long hair! lol

Dec 02 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Dec 02 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

And let's not forget our own Melissa Baker, quickly on the rise, and gorgeous beyond belief:

Shot by Bruce Weber for A&F (correct me if I'm wrong!), see her in the Sisley campaign soon.  And Italian Men's Vogue.  smile  You go girl...
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061127/14/456b460699b3a.jpg

Dec 02 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

Napally

Leeds, Alabama, US

When I first saw this, I thought "rehab".

I'm so sorry sad

Dec 02 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Napally wrote:
When I first saw this, I thought "rehab".

Kate Moss is British...  LoL  smile  Sorry, can't help that one.

Dec 02 06 06:03 pm Link

Model

Napally

Leeds, Alabama, US

Haha, our resident model. In and out of rehab she goes.

Dec 02 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

lll wrote:
And let's not forget our own Melissa Baker, quickly on the rise, and gorgeous beyond belief:

Shot by Bruce Weber for A&F (correct me if I'm wrong!), see her in the Sisley campaign soon.  And Italian Men's Vogue.  smile  You go girl...
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061127/14/456b460699b3a.jpg

yeah, that melissa baker. she is nice.

Dec 02 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Gina McNeil wrote:
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think Tyra was considered a supermodel, and since she quit...there went the last American Supermodel.

Oh well... I happily volunteer to become the next American Supermodel. https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/tongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My hands up too!  smile That would be nice heh?
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Dec 03 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MelissaBaker wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My hands up too!  smile

Hey you have my vote too !

Dec 03 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Unique Lydia