Forums > General Industry > I was punk'd by a model today.

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

I had done a photoshoot two weeks ago with a model and we got the shots he wanted.  We ran out of time and he said we could do the shots I wanted another time.  When I followed up with him he said he wasn't available again until Sept however he needed the CD from the shoot we did now.  I told him another model flaked on me before and I couldn't give him the CD until we did the follow up.  He then schedules for today.  He wants me to bring the photoCD which I did and he would have to view the photos on the spot with him notebook computer.  After he viewed the photos he said he had to put his computer back in his car and he would be back to do the follow-up shoot.  He never came back with my CD.  He never came back period.  Didn't call, didn't email me.  Funny thing is he told me that a photographer did him wrong in the past.  So why is he doing the very thing that was done to him?

Aug 08 06 11:03 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

That's one way to ruin your reputation and not get any work.. what a moron that guy is.

Aug 08 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

hunt him down and beat him

ya know, fighting solves everything

Aug 08 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I do hope you remembered to put the virus on the disk as well . .  . . The one that reformats his hard drive the 2nd time it is used - and no password is entered by him.

Please tell me you didn't forget. . . .

VintageV

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

aww that's so awesome. why don't u call the police!! lol .. he pretty much stole the cd from you! (unless he has a release of course)

Photographer

MrMisadventure

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wow...I would have been really pissed if something like that happened to me...What an ass...BUT what she said was right he's gonna ruin his rep like this...and no reason why you shouldn't help.

Aug 08 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Man that sucks.

Sorry that happened to you.

Aug 08 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVShows/img2/TCN/punkd_300.jpg

Aug 08 06 11:16 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

Wow what the hell?

Aug 08 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

This looks like a job for the spanish inquistion

Aug 08 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:

i got torches who has the pitch forks

man that really SUCKES there is a place in MM hell for what he did

Aug 08 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:

Get the holy handgrenade!

Aug 08 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

damn, that sucks donkey nuts

You should email him and tell him your going to bad mouth him to everyone now lol
Scare him alot lol.

Photographer

Star

I have amodel right now contacting me two three times a day, she knows I am in finals. The funny thing is she would have had her images a week ago but now everytime I think about her I get really irritated and have trouble looking at her face,

Star

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

What a PUNK!!! Someone hand me a pitchfork..OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

Aug 08 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

CrazyPreshus wrote:
What a PUNK!!! Someone hand me a pitchfork..OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

lol

Aug 08 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

You should find another model to slap him on a TFP basis for doing that.

Aug 09 06 12:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

Ronnie Werner

Portland, Oregon, US

Sounds to me like a good reason to name names. I'm sure no one here would want to work with this guy.

Aug 09 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Damn.

Aug 09 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Abdiel Urcullu Photo wrote:
aww that's so awesome. why don't u call the police!! lol .. he pretty much stole the cd from you! (unless he has a release of course)

If it matters much to you, check with your attorney and see if you should contact the police to report it as a theft and attach some actual value to it.

Aug 09 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

CaliModels

That's a rough situation and probably a lesson for many.  It's best finish the shoot--if possible the same day.  Because, when the shoot is over, it's over. Whatever you have, should be considered final for that day. I've never put myself into that situation of continuing a shoot, but have been faced with the "not available" for awhile thing. That means they value other plans. I simply got someone else and never bothered with them again.

Aug 09 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Did you tell him you OWN the COPYRITE on the Images and he uses them you will SUE him.

The photos are useless if you put him on notice. Because he breached your contract. Judge Judy  where are you  smile

Aug 09 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would've anticipated something like this and brought 2 CDs.. one with crappy images, resized to about 300px at the longest side and watermarked with a big opaque PROOF going through the image. If he's true to his word and does the followup shoot immediately after, you hand him the "real" CD with whatever you owed him at the completion of the shoot.

Aug 09 06 04:08 am Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

WOW!  Can't believe people are really this shady.  I want the name just so I don't get near him - karma's a bitch and I don't want to be around when it gets back to him.

Aug 09 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

Once again proof that hindsight is 20/20. 

I do like the idea of mailing or emailing him and reminding him that the photos are copyrighted and he will be prosecuted if he uses them without written permission from you.

Aug 09 06 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Merlinpix wrote:

Get the holy handgrenade!

Get the comfy chair.

Aug 09 06 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Some Like It Shot Photography

Kent, Washington, US

Wow! now THAT"S bold!

Aug 09 06 04:56 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

that's horrible. thank you for letting us know there are a-holes in this wrorld\... it is good to be aware sth like that could happen to anyone.

good side of the bad story: at least you learned what to do next time.

good luck smile

Aug 09 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Danella L. wrote:
that's horrible. thank you for letting us know there are a-holes in this wrorld\... it is good to be aware sth like that could happen to anyone.

Not to sound like an asshole or anything, but unless your comment was made in sarcasm, do you mean to tell us you thought people like this were a myth and didn't exist?

Aug 09 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Who is the model? Why post this if you wont state who it was, this would at least allow him to give his side in return. Or allow the rest of us to know who to watch out for.
Out them..photographer or model..oUT...OUT ...OUt

Aug 09 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Do you now where he lives? If he had done that to me he'd be explaining through that unsightly fat lip.

Aug 09 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Maybe he was too shy after he showed his weiner and had to get rid of the shots?
You never know, perhaps this guy will run for president...not likely........but maybe...
Was this a paid transaction? (model paid?)

Aug 09 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Post his pic on your portfolio and let us guess which one it was. A new game to pass time.
Sorry you had that happen to you.
Dhaniel

Aug 09 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Sonar Advertising

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow man, that really sucks I don't even know what to say... If it was me, I would call the police and explain what happened, he did steal it since he didn't follow through with his end of the deal...  I would then get the police to get my CD back and I would revoke any rights I gave him to display, use, edit, or do anything with the photo,  then I would make him look like crap and display it on MM!.. lol... ok that last part is a joke but seriously I would call the police and revoke all rights he has to it, that is if you made him sign a release for the shots.  People like that really make me upset, especially when your doing him a favour by giving him all the shots (Legally you never have too, I always do but would really upset me to have someone do that to me) and then for him to screw you like that...  Really upsetting, and I'm sure no-one would mind you naming names... People like that should be exposed they don't deserve anyones help.  Please let us know what happened with this, really curious.

Photos By Deej wrote:
I had done a photoshoot two weeks ago with a model and we got the shots he wanted.  We ran out of time and he said we could do the shots I wanted another time.  When I followed up with him he said he wasn't available again until Sept however he needed the CD from the shoot we did now.  I told him another model flaked on me before and I couldn't give him the CD until we did the follow up.  He then schedules for today.  He wants me to bring the photoCD which I did and he would have to view the photos on the spot with him notebook computer.  After he viewed the photos he said he had to put his computer back in his car and he would be back to do the follow-up shoot.  He never came back with my CD.  He never came back period.  Didn't call, didn't email me.  Funny thing is he told me that a photographer did him wrong in the past.  So why is he doing the very thing that was done to him?

Aug 09 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photos By Deej wrote:

Wow you are a nice person.  Me I would call the police and reported his butt
as a thief because that what he is.

Aug 09 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, if you don't want to go through the hassle of reporting the theft... if it were me, I would definitely let the other local photographers know what had gone down.  They'll spread the word for you even farther, probably.  People in this line of work/hobby/etc seem to love gossip, heh. smile

Aug 09 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Dhaniel wrote:
Post his pic on your portfolio and let us guess which one it was. A new game to pass time.
Sorry you had that happen to you.
Dhaniel

Or, you could always post the absolute worst pic of his out of the lot and add a caption of "This is what happens when you stiff the Photographer".  Be sure to email him to let him know that one of his photos has taken a place of reverence in your port and is sure to get him lots of future work.

I'm just a snarky bastard like that.

Aug 09 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

nickb2

Anaheim, California, US

of all the models I have photographed 90% were great no problem at all.Its that 10% out there that will discourage you.This was just a learning experince for you.As they say "fooled me once,shame on you.Fooled me twice, shame on me."All this means is that you are becoming an "experinced photographer" congratulations!

Aug 09 06 06:44 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

New York, New York, US

wtf...

Aug 09 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

Everyone,
Thanks for all your support in this matter.  I won't name names out of respect and there was a thread chastizing (sp?) photographers for naming names.  I did email him and this was the response I got.   Please keep in mind that I was not  threatening as his message may lead you to believe.  I never said I was holding the photos for ransom.  I asked him to call me so we could discuss the matter and when he did he just set up the follow-up shoot or set me up. lol  He never expressed the feelings mentioned below.  I would like to hear model's opinion.  Does he have valid reasons? he never told them until now that he has the pics.  Just a side note, the fighting mentioned is not physical it's verbal regarding a parking space that I was holding for him and his gf to park their car which someone wanted to take.  the family threatened to call the police on me. Here's his reply:

Lesson learned.
Never threaten a model by telling then that you will not give them their photos if they don’t shoot with you again, that makes you sound desperate and is very unprofessional. I worked hard for those photos and deserve to use them just as much as you do so when you told me you would not give them to me I was very upset. Remember you were the one that pursued me to shoot with you in the first place so treat me with respect.
If you act professional and the photos come out good a model will shoot with you again. On our shoot you did not act professional by fighting with that family but the photos did come out good so I may have considered shooting with you again when I had more time, you knew I was busy. Then you tell me you holding my photos ransom until I shoot with you again. What did you think that would accomplish? All you did was piss me off.
Either start acting more professional, because you’re a good photographer, or stay away from people. You lucky I’m a nice guy because doing what you did will probably get you beat up next time.

Aug 09 06 07:06 pm Link