Forums > General Industry > The Trouble with finding models online...

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

I've found web based modeling sites to be a big waste of time.  It is a great idea (I'll give credit where credit is due). The main problem I have is after weeks of planning and setting up shoots (with with models on these type of sites),  it usually ends up being canceled or with a no-show.  Personally,  I don't get it!  If you are going to put a profile up as an available model why not make the effort to actually model? 

I am hoping that maybe someone can shed some light on this subject for me.  Please help me understand.  Are there really that many jerks out there posing as photographers that models have to be afraid?  Or is it that these so called models just get a thrill by seeing if anyone is interested in working with them, and never have any intention of going to a shoot?

Aug 07 06 09:23 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

There are many threads on this.

Those models don't take it seriously. It's not their passion.

Aug 07 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Oooh boy, here we go again...

Aug 07 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

Form what I can tell, that is a very common problem here on MM.  I have never been a now show personally, but apparently lots of photogs have probs with that happening.

Aug 07 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

I have to admit...I know I'm not the best photg in the world (and have never claimed to be), but I think I can hold my own and get some good images.  Do you think it makes a difference that I work from a home studio?

Aug 07 06 09:35 am Link

Model

Ben M

Orlando, Florida, US

im telling you, this site is getting diluted with people that shouldnt be here   sorry, its the truth

Aug 07 06 09:37 am Link

Model

Christine

Chris Goodman/ CMG Pho wrote:
I have to admit...I know I'm not the best photg in the world (and have never claimed to be), but I think I can hold my own and get some good images.  Do you think it makes a difference that I work from a home studio?

I highly doubt it.

Aug 07 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I find that most models don't answer email in the first place.  But if I set something up, then it happens.  I don't have a huge problem with no-shows.  I have discovered one thing though:  talk on the phone.   Somehow if you communicate ONLY through email, the commitment must remain more impersonal and must be easier to blow it off at the last second.  Once you talk to someone on the phone you become a "real" person, the model is more relaxed about showing up and feels more guilty about not showing up.  I think email is the problem.

Aug 07 06 09:39 am Link

Model

e-string

Nope.. I've worked in home studios where the final product looks like it came from the most high tech place around.

Aug 07 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Ivan123 wrote:
I find that most models don't answer email in the first place.  But if I set something up, then it happens.  I don't have a huge problem with no-shows.  I have discovered one thing though:  talk on the phone.   Somehow if you communicate ONLY through email, the commitment must remain more impersonal and must be easier to blow it off at the last second.  Once you talk to someone on the phone you become a "real" person, the model is more relaxed about showing up and feels more guilty about not showing up.  I think email is the problem.

HA !

Aug 07 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

JH Fauxtography

It might.  I once hired a model (paid) for a stock photography session, and the day of the shoot she asked for directions, and when i told her that the studio was in my house, i immediately noticed her voice tense up and she started stuttering and told me she's call me back in a minute when she was on her way.... I knew she wasn't going to show up the moment we hung up.  some models do have reservations about it, but most of the models i shoot indoors have no problems at all with it.  You can always tell them they can bring a friend!

Aug 07 06 09:42 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world of internet photography. There are no rules here; a girl who is 5’ 1” in 4” stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Agency models and photographers = work for clients and have a set of standards
Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.
GWP and GWC = it’s all about the b(o)(o)bies.

Welcome to our world…………………………………………..wink

I do wish you luck, it takes a while but you can find good models on here, and some good models will find you as well.

Iona Lynn

Aug 07 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Strange, I don't have this problem. Most of the time, my shoots come through.  I think this is about the 5th post I've seen on this topic in the last month.

I think I have 1 out of 6 shoots cancel on me.  Which isn't really all that bad in my opinion.  I just shrug it off for the most part.

I shoot out of a home studio as well. I use fabric for backdrops... but am getting incredibly bored with shooting in house... I've been doing more and more location stuff...

CMG - I took a look at your port, and you have the eye for it... just need variation and to watch the outside of your frame - you cut off a lot of feet at uncomfortable places... (just my .02)

Overall, though, it may be the girls that you are working with - are they contacting you for a shoot, or are you contacting them?  I tend to look at models ports and see the variation of their photos - and how professional *the model* looks..

Maybe I've just been lucky?

Aug 07 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Maybe these types of sites should have a rating system.  A place for comments  attached to each profile where you could put positive or negative posts . It could be (or rather.. should be) for models and photogs alike (sort of what Ebay has for consumers and sellers).

Aug 07 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I've found web based modeling sites to be a big waste of time.  It is a great idea (I'll give credit where credit is due). The main problem I have is after weeks of planning and setting up shoots (with with models on these type of sites),  it usually ends up being canceled or with a no-show.  Personally,  I don't get it!  If you are going to put a profile up as an available model why not make the effort to actually model? 

I am hoping that maybe someone can shed some light on this subject for me.  Please help me understand.  Are there really that many jerks out there posing as photographers that models have to be afraid?  Or is it that these so called models just get a thrill by seeing if anyone is interested in working with them, and never have any intention of going to a shoot?

Models on these kinds of sites can have any level of experience, so it is important to nuture the relationship to cut down on the disappointments.

My advice:

If you spend weeks in planning & setting up shoots, then the shoot is critical to you, so it is important that you reserve those sitting to models with good track records (especially track records with you). 

Check references.  I don't understand why more people don't do that.

Are you paying the model? 

Or, how are you motivating the model?  If she is doing TFP, she may feel that she's doing you more of a favor that you are doing her.  If TFP, is the concept exciting to her?  How have you communicated your enthusiasm?

My bottom line:  flakes happen, but with a little effort, a photographer can cut down on his flake ratio.  If a photographer just sits back & expects the model to worship at his feet, well, he may have to learn to deal with disappointments.  On the other hand, if the photographer woos the model by providing her with worthwhile compensation & exciting concepts, the model will be more likely to show up.

Photographing a new-to-you model is like gambling -- don't invest more than you are willing to lose.

Aug 07 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

LightFall

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

What I find especially puzzling are the cases of a model contacting one suggesting a TFP/TFCD-type shoot and then when you reply with a civil 'sure, okay' the response is --- NO RESPONSE. You figure that maybe she found another photographer that she prefers to you, but no, three months later her MM pic page hasn't changed by so much as a single image. Puzzling!

Aug 07 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

We all have the same problems with unreliable models.  I've found the following practices to be helpful in weeding out the flakes:

1.) I use experienced models.  A model who has put time into developing his or her portfolio is serious about modeling.  Let the beginning models look for photographers, not the other way around.

2.) I pay my models.  Models who earn money at it tend to me more reliable.  I don't pay my models a great deal of money, but I pay them at least as much as I'd pay a boy to mow my lawn or something.  When people do work they should be paid for it.

3.) I ask the models to telephone me.  I include my telephone number in every email I send to a model.  After only one or two emails I ask the model to phone me.  If a model writes back with more questions, I just reply with: "Phone me."  Models who don't take the trouble to call me on the telephone won't take the trouble to show up for the shoot either.

4.) I only contact models for work they already show in their portfolio.  If I want nudity, for instance, I only contact models who show nudity in their portfolio.  Upon initial contact I am specific about what I want the model to do, where, and when. 

5.) When I contact a model I always give a deadline for reply: "If you're interested in doing this shoot please telephone me before 10 PM tomorrow."  If a model doesn't respond in time then I offer the gig to another model.  If the first model does eventually get back to me I tell him or her that I may like to work with them sometime, but that I've already offered the gig to someone else.

Aug 07 06 09:56 am Link

Model

e-string

Maybe these types of sites should have a rating system.  A place for comments  attached to each profile where you could put positive or negative posts . It could be (or rather.. should be) for models and photogs alike (sort of what Ebay has for consumers and sellers).

That situation would have a LOT of problems from misuse. People who had disagreements could end up getting reviews that were quite untrue. There are an awful lot of unprofessional people here.

Aug 07 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

phcorcoran wrote:
We all have the same problems with unreliable models.  I've found the following practices to be helpful in weeding out the flakes:

1.) I use experienced models.  A model who has put time into developing his or her portfolio is serious about modeling.  Let the beginning models look for photographers, not the other way around.

2.) I pay my models.  Models who earn money at it tend to me more reliable.  I don't pay my models a great deal of money, but I pay them at least as much as I'd pay a boy to mow my lawn or something.  When people do work they should be paid for it.

3.) I ask the models to telephone me.  I include my telephone number in every email I send to a model.  After only one or two emails I ask the model to phone me.  If a model writes back with more questions, I just reply with: "Phone me."  Models who don't take the trouble to call me on the telephone won't take the trouble to show up for the shoot either.

4.) I only contact models for work they already show in their portfolio.  I want nudity, for instance, I only contact models who show nudity in their portfolio.  Upon initial contact I am specific about what I want the model to do, where, and when. 

5.) When I contact a model I always give a deadline for reply: "If you're interested in doing this shoot please telephone me before 10 PM tomorrow."  If a model doesn't respond in time then I offer the gig to another model.  If the first model does eventually get back to me I tell him or her that I may like to work with them sometime, but that I've already offered the gig to someone else.

Aug 07 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Contacting models online is like email solicitation.
10% will answer

Send a phone number
10% will call

set a date
50% will show up.

Aug 07 06 09:59 am Link

Model

Randee

West Branch, Michigan, US

Hey!  That is a good idea!!  Tyler should read this!

Aug 07 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Randee

West Branch, Michigan, US

e-string wrote:

That situation would have a LOT of problems from misuse. People who had disagreements could end up getting reviews that were quite untrue. There are an awful lot of unprofessional people here.

Although I see her point as well hmm

Aug 07 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Priscilla Eva

Seattle, Washington, US

I have been lucky enough not to have any no shows. (though i did have to reschedual once for a very hungover model...) But I think it is because I usually have a week or  two of planning the shoot and bouncing ideas off of eachother before the model and I ever meet. I think that helps, because it gets us both excited about the shoot. It also helps establish how seriosu someone actually is about a shoot.

Aug 07 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

phcorcoran wrote:

4.) I only contact models for work they already show in their portfolio.  I want nudity, for instance, I only contact models who show nudity in their portfolio.  Upon initial contact I am specific about what I want the model to do, where, and when. 

I do pay the models for any shoot that shows some skin (lingerie thru nudes) and I pay them well I think...It's not uncommon for me to offer $100/hr for nude work.

I have used all the reliable models in my area (all 5 or 6 of them) several times each.  so I'm forced to take chances with the new faces as they pop up.

I do like the idea of giving deadlines but unfortunately I don't have that many reliable models that I can fill a spot that quickly.

Aug 07 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Many web based models are a waste of time.  Notice the two models who
responded however.  Forget about what they said but study their images.
Both have solid and interesting images.  This will give you a clue to choosing models.
Those who are serious and dependable will have picked their images with care.
For example if a model has been on this site a few months but still has web cam
level images or hasn't updated her profile means she may not be serious and yes
it could also means she's been busy.  Take note of how long it takes to get a
return email.  If you talk is she excited and interested in shooting or deadpan and
bored.  Does she ask questions and or express the thought that she wants
to really get going.  Two models recently expressed a interest in shooting with me
and both were full of it.  One even contacted me again via my profile on
OMP.  Neither has updated their profile in months both claim though that they
want a career in modeling.  Ask further questions like how many photographers
they've worked with here's one that may give you a huge clue.  Ask if they
are dependable.  Most will say yes but listen to how they say it.  This isn't
a exact science of course.  Things happen and models like all of us have lives
and things that may prevent shoots.  Be friendly, collect a refundable deposit
whenever possible as well as a confirmation call the day of the shoot from the
model.  No call, no shoot.

Aug 07 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Shutterclick

I've had pretty good luck so far.. out of the 7 photo shoots  that I have set up threw MM all but 1 have showed up. The one no show canceled the day of. I have found that most girls have been quite excited about shooting and usually call in advance and make sure I'm going to show up! Maybe it's just the different areas and what not, but I will say Los Angeles is home of the Actress/Model/Waitress.. everyone is trying to get somewhere..

Kevin

Aug 07 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Any suggestions on how to find models off the web?  I don't want to be like this creepy guy who asks every girl he meets to model for him (but I feel like I should just to get the odds in my favor).  I can't advertise in the local paper...they do not allow ads for models unless you're a registered modeling agency.  Flyers and business cards don't seem to work well either.

Aug 07 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

Elizabethton, Tennessee, US

Thought I'd jump in here...

I've had three experiences of no-shows/cancellations, one had the decency to let me know the night before, after weeks of planning and schedule rearranging, the other just didnt respond to my confirmation e-mail and was scheduled to shoot the next day after yet again, weeks of planning and schedule rearranging(a call or an email is a good thing to send out, especially before you drive and wait for an hour on a no-show), the third just didnt show up even after confirming she was going to show.

My biggest sore thumb is the fact that if you're are a professional (as most here claim to be) you WILL answer an interested party's inquiry, at least with simple "No, Thank You".  Not always the case...

Maybe we should have some sort of scoring or feedback system like ebay to let others no who is a no show, no return message, or etc.

Maybe the other problem is that there arent many restrictions on who can come in here and call themselves a model or a photog.  It is free here and that is a wonderful thing, but maybe you get your profile restricted or revoked if you do so many of "this" or "that" unprofessional things, or etc.

That other model website (you know which one, One _ Place) allows more freedoms to new model/actor portfolios than anyone else, quoth the website:
*Free portfolio offer applies to Model and Actor sign ups ONLY.
A $10.00 processing fee will be charged to all other sign up types.

Maybe if they had to start sacrificing some money to get a page built the serious ones would bring it and the ams who do it on a dare or a whim might not be so happy to hit the "Join" button...

I dunno, just a ramble...

Aug 07 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

Whoops, totally scrolled too fast and missed that one... ditto man, ditto...

Aug 07 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Any suggestions on how to find models off the web?  I don't want to be like this creepy guy who asks every girl he meets to model for him (but I feel like I should just to get the odds in my favor).  I can't advertise in the local paper...they do not allow ads for models unless you're a registered modeling agency.  Flyers and business cards don't seem to work well either.

Aug 07 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I do like the idea of giving deadlines but unfortunately I don't have that many reliable models that I can fill a spot that quickly.

If you need to fill spots quickly then giving deadlines is a necessity.

In order to find models for bigger projects I used to shoot lots and lots of test shoots, nearly every Saturday.  I contacted almost all new models in my area, offering them $20 plus a CD of digital photos to come to my studio for a two-hour fully-clothed shoot.  I would contact about 30 new models a month (the Boston area always has plenty of new models).  In any given year I would shoot perhaps 40 models, and from that lot I'd find maybe three good models worth hiring for serious work.

Now I shoot only art and erotic nudes.  The art nude models flake about 50% of the time.  The erotic nude models tend to be more experienced and professional (they're doing it strictly for the money) and are nearly 100% reliable.

I occasionally get commercial projects, and for commercial projects I always hire models through agencies.  The better agencies guarantee their models' reliability; I won't work with any agency that doesn't give a cash guarantee.  I have to shake my head sometimes when I read so much online about models wondering if they are too short or too heavy to get work through agencies, and yet you never read them addressing the number one concern of agencies: money-earning agencies look for availability and reliability above all other considerations.

Aug 07 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

e-string wrote:

Ok, Ok, I'm a moron...but this is true too, but there is the possibility of the site operator setting a list of premade comments for selection only, not leaving room for the mouths to jabber and say any sort of comment that is irrelevant to the situation, i.e.:

Instead of:
That dumb twit screwed me out of my $20, and she smelled too!

Use or select from the list:
Failure to pay

or

Instead of:
Is your F****** e-mail busted or can't you read?

Use:
Doesnt respond to inquiries

Not bad? Maybe?

Aug 07 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Keep working on your photography.
That is what you are selling, if you want to shoot models/model portfolios then look at what the models want and or need and shoot that.

What a model needs out of a TFP shoot is:
1. images that can sell her,
2. contacts that can furthur her career,
3. real exposure that can furthur her career.
4. practice in fron of the camera.

Paid shoots a are a little diffrent but many models will still jude you on the above.

What is it you want to shoot?
Models?
Weddings?
Private images?
kids?
Product?
Art for galleries?
Catalougs?

There are a number of photographers here who do not contact models, models contact them.

Aug 07 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here's something to think about.  Check out your local college or university.
Take a class or two.  Usually the school will let students advertise things so
look for models.  I used to ask fellow students to model for me and it works.
You should consider offering something.  Even $10.00 a hour will get you
some beautiful models and they are usually cool and fun to work with.
Some will shoot for a free lunch but offer a few bucks anyway.

Aug 07 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Archer Photography wrote:

Ok, Ok, I'm a moron...but this is true too, but there is the possibility of the site operator setting a list of premade comments for selection only, not leaving room for the mouths to jabber and say any sort of comment that is irrelevant to the situation, i.e.:

Instead of:

Failure to pay

or

Instead of:

Use:

Not bad? Maybe?

Well that's a great Idea....

Aug 07 06 10:26 am Link

Model

e-string

Archer Photography wrote:

Instead of:

Failure to pay

or

Instead of:

Use:

Not bad? Maybe?

Yep.. that would be a lot better. It's similar to OMP's thing.

Aug 07 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

Right...I'm done creating multiple entries, I'll step off the box and let someone else on...

Aug 07 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Brad Garner Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

Just give up and shoot nature or self-portraits...both of which have to be there if you're there wink

Aug 07 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

And what happins when our email DOES burp and lose a message????
I lost a great print/web job for a winery because of one email that was eaten up by cyberspace. I only found out after I sent a followup "thank you for letting me apply and not choosing me this time" The casting director asked why I did not reply sooner WHAAAA??? I replyed in two hours over a week ago. So we chatted and blah blah blah I will be in mind for future projects.

Rateing systems are abused all the time, all people try to burry negitive comments about themselves and others are not going to post negitive comments. out of hundreds of shoots I have done I'm not going to publicly post about the ones that did not go over well. If I have strong feelings about soemoen I will send someone a PM who asks about a particular person.

Aug 07 06 10:36 am Link

Model

Dana Calanan

Niagara Falls, New York, US

On the flip side.. so far my experience on these sites is that a photog contacts me... I say yes I am interested and start dialogue...  After a couple of emails and possibly a couple of phone calls, I do not hear from the photog...

Aug 07 06 10:36 am Link