Forums > General Industry > The Trouble with finding models online...

Model

BiBi Morae

Miami Beach, Florida, US

DARNIT..I WISH YOU IN MN..CAUSE I BEEN LOOKING FOR A PHOTOGRAPHER SINCE I JOIN A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO..ITS TFP BUT STILL..i GREAT IDEAS GREAT BODY..I JUST GOTTA WORK ON MY POSING AND FACIAL EXPRESSIONS..AT LEAST TO ME..

Aug 07 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It isnt just "models" its everybody you meet on the net. Not that many of us do this but how many internet hook ups do you think fall through? Not only is this not just models its happened with photogs too. My friend got a paid job with a guy to model in NYC we both live here in york about 4 or more hours away. She confirmed with the guy 3 different times on the phone to get all the details straight, last time she called hm was an hour before she left for NYC. She gets there with no money (yeah this is her own faul but my point stands) the guy never calls her has his phone off, never hears from him again and not only does she have no money she ended up wasting about 60 bucks on gas money. Its not just about models or photogs or people not being serious, its that with the media I honestly think some people are scared to meet people from the net and they get weird thoughts last minute, its either that or someone else asks them to do something and they probably feel more entitled to them them a stranger on the net. Not that that justifies anything.

Aug 07 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've had pretty good luck, and I have a theory about that.  I tend to shoot unusual models.  Because they're not (generally) in as much demand as, say, a beautiful blonde glamour model, they have to work harder to build a good portfolio, and tend to be reliable and hard working.  It’s easier to blow someone off if 200 people are waiting to take that photographer’s place.  If you’re out there pounding the pavement to get people to notice you, you’re likely to value the responses you get more highly.

That’s my theory on my good experiences, anyway.

Aug 07 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

bongocongo

I use this site for hiring models. I have had some noshows, but I've also had many fruitful collaborations.
Like anything else, there can be issues, but I have found enough models to suit my needs. If a model doesn't want to work with me, ok, I'll use someone who wants to work with me. There are sometimes when I put a casting call and get no response, other times I get too many responses and I don't have enough time to shoot them all.

There are no guarantees in life or photography. Get used to it and get over it, photographers and models alike. Quit whining, if someone flakes on you, just move on. We've all had it happen, we've all heard the stories.

Aug 07 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

Elizabethton, Tennessee, US

The rating system should be for all people who claim to be professional, not just models, everyone, that way we all get the chance to be graded, not on the quality of our work (I'd fail) but by our ability to be and act as a pro.  There are those wierd missing messages in the system and it does happen, but there has to be some sort of margin of error, because majority of it is the negative or positive experiences that would be nice to know about.  I dont go bawling about who stood me up either, but I will tell anyone who asks me about someone in particular.  It's the same way you get a non artistic job, you apply, and then they check up on you, your references, etc.  You don't generally hire someone of  the street and hope they show up, but in this business we do.

Maybe we could have only a positive reference system, only positive stuff gets put out there and the people with the most positives are the ones you go after and hope you're lucky to work with them...

Then there are those damn cell phone pics...LOL, no really I'm not going there, its a whole nuther fifty thousand threads...

I agree there are a ton of rats in all areas of this work, we just need to figure out a way to weed them out better.

Aug 07 06 11:02 am Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

Aug 07 06 11:57 am Link

Model

TheArchon

Aug 07 06 11:57 am Link

Model

TheArchon

Inhibitions will always be the bane of good intention, among other things.

Some models will often get enthusiastic about performing for a shoot, right up to the minute of it, and then their feet turn to ice, and they are ghosts. No call, no show, won't pick up the phone.  Once in a while, a photographer will do that, too...but more often than not; it is the erstwhile model.  As far as it being more occurrent on-line...it is, and it isn't.  Before there was an internet, people had to use an artifact called a telephone (lol...remember THEM?), to locate and interview prospective models.  I am quite certain that models not showing up due to ANY reason was prevalent, even in those times.  Now that there is an internet, yes; the rate of models not showing up had dramatically increased, but also bear in mind that the amount of models who can now display a portfolio, get hired AND show up for a shoot...have dramatically increased as well.  I suspect that if you compare percentages of unreliable/reliable models and/or photgraphers in the format of "then vs now"...The numbers would be very close.

I would like to add one other thing...I believe that if you don't feel comfortable in front of a camera, then you don't belong there.  Just my opinion.

Aug 07 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Piper ann

Crawfordsville, Indiana, US

I thought I would throw my two cents in as well...

After several years of being out of this business, I am finding it somewhat hard to get going again as well. It is somewhat intimidating to go to a stranger's house to do a shoot. Someone in this thread was correct in saying that that the media efcts this as well. There were alot of horror stories floating around for some time...

I have contacted several photogs on MM in the last week and have done very well recieving replies and advice. It is a little scary though. I am so very excited about being in front of a camera again, but I insist on setting up meetings with each and everyone that agrees we should work togther. I have several "lunch dates" coming in the next two weeks, and you'd better believe I will be there for each and every one, but thats because I am ready to get going. That may be an idea as well...

Aug 07 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

To have meetings? It's always a good idea, heck, go out to lunch with everyone, it can only help build rapport and relationship, a good photographer will try to bring out the personality of a model, her interests, her "spark of fire" so to say, thats why we need models so we can provide the essence of a beautiful, living breathing creature in photo form that will last for hundreds of years.  We're all not here just to throw a piece of flesh in front of the camera and snap away, you have to be able to make people identify with something in that photo, namely "the model".

I know, I know, where'd that come from?

Aug 07 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Seattle Next Door

Seattle, Washington, US

phcorcoran wrote:
The erotic nude models tend to be more experienced and professional (they're doing it strictly for the money) and are nearly 100% reliable.

The only erotic nude model I worked with not only showed up prepared (multiple outfits, etc), she was EARLY...

=o)

Aug 07 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Seattle Next Door wrote:

The only erotic nude model I worked with not only showed up prepared (multiple outfits, etc), she was EARLY...

=o)

Why would a nude model need outfits?  That's just silly  wink

Aug 07 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Archer Photography wrote:
Ok, Ok, I'm a moron...but this is true too, but there is the possibility of the site operator setting a list of premade comments for selection only, not leaving room for the mouths to jabber and say any sort of comment that is irrelevant to the situation, i.e.:

Instead of:
That dumb twit screwed me out of my $20, and she smelled too!

Use or select from the list:
Failure to pay

or

Instead of:
Is your F****** e-mail busted or can't you read?

Use:
Doesnt respond to inquiries

Not bad? Maybe?

e-string wrote:
Yep.. that would be a lot better. It's similar to OMP's thing.

In case you didn't notice the significant difference, there are no OMP choices that have negative connotations.  OMP ranges from "Good Work" to "Desire To Work With"; there is no "Doesn't respond" or "Failure to pay".

Such a rating system is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.  If you post a negative comment about a person (while identifying that person), you assume that we are willing to take your word over theirs.  Why should we? 

Then, the person you've slammed will claim that you were lying.  What's the moderators to do?  Why should the mods believe you over her?  Can you prove your claims? 

Next, the model will show damages, contact her lawyer, and give you grief in a civil suit.  Again, can you prove your claims?  Perhaps she'll even include MM on her civil suit.

Meanwhile, the model & her friends will start slamming your profile.  Suddenly, there will be "Failure To Pay" & "Was Inappropriate" & "No Show" comments appearing on your portfolio.  What can you do about that?

Finally, expending your time & effort in trying to slam a model with negative comments will clearly demonstrate that you are petty, vindictive, unprofessional, childish, etc.  You'll give that impression to future models & clients.

So, give up your need for revenge.  Turn the other cheek.  You are free to decide to put the model on your personal black list.  If someone you know asks you about the model, you can tell them about your experiences.  Anything more is a waste of time & will do you more damage than her.

Aug 07 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Archer Photography

Looknsee Photography wrote:

In case you didn't notice the significant difference, there are no OMP choices that have negative connotations.  OMP ranges from "Good Work" to "Desire To Work With"; there is no "Doesn't respond" or "Failure to pay".

Such a rating system is a bad, bad, bad, bad idea.  If you post a negative comment about a person (while identifying that person), you assume that we are willing to take your word over theirs.  Why should we? 

Then, the person you've slammed will claim that you were lying.  What's the moderators to do?  Why should the mods believe you over her?  Can you prove your claims? 

Next, the model will show damages, contact her lawyer, and give you grief in a civil suit.  Again, can you prove your claims?  Perhaps she'll even include MM on her civil suit.

Meanwhile, the model & her friends will start slamming your profile.  Suddenly, there will be "Failure To Pay" & "Was Inappropriate" & "No Show" comments appearing on your portfolio.  What can you do about that?

Finally, expending your time & effort in trying to slam a model with negative comments will clearly demonstrate that you are petty, vindictive, unprofessional, childish, etc.  You'll give that impression to future models & clients.

So, give up your need for revenge.  Turn the other cheek.  You are free to decide to put the model on your personal black list.  If someone you know asks you about the model, you can tell them about your experiences.  Anything more is a waste of time & will do you more damage than her.

Moses has spoken.

Guess you didnt read the rest of the thread before posting a comment, if you had you would have noticed  that I'm not arguing for or against anyone, just elaborating on a suggestion from another member, and musing on a fewof those thoughts, also I went on to state of a positive feedback only system as well, had you read on.  Also the OMP choices are so vague, how many of the every 483 day updated wannabes have a zillion "good work" or "outstanding" comments left but no real work to show for it, all because of a tit flash.  If any negative thoughts were permiated in this discussion it would be the suggesting that I were wishing to bash anyone, as you would have went on to read is not the case.

Been on ebay lately?  They have the thing when someone leaves a negative feedback you can counterpoint.  They also have a mutual withdrawal option.  Havent heard of any lawsuit for defamation on ebay...

Try going to the end of a thread next time before hitting quote and reply.

BTW: Saw your port, nice work, there's a positive feedback.

Aug 07 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chris M Goodman

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

TheArchon wrote:
Inhibitions will always be the bane of good intention, among other things.

Some models will often get enthusiastic about performing for a shoot, right up to the minute of it, and then their feet turn to ice, and they are ghosts. No call, no show, won't pick up the phone. 

I would like to add one other thing...I believe that if you don't feel comfortable in front of a camera, then you don't belong there.  Just my opinion.

I think you hit the nail on the head there....

Aug 07 06 05:43 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

To have meetings? It's always a good idea, heck, go out to lunch with everyone, it can only help build rapport and relationship, a good photographer will try to bring out the personality of a model, her interests, her "spark of fire" so to say, thats why we need models so we can provide the essence of a beautiful, living breathing creature in photo form that will last for hundreds of years.  We're all not here just to throw a piece of flesh in front of the camera and snap away, you have to be able to make people identify with something in that photo, namely "the model".

I know, I know, where'd that come from?

Right on, Eric!
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060804/10/44d3698dad8ea.jpg
Copyright 2006 Michael Garland

Aug 07 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Christine Summers wrote:
Form what I can tell, that is a very common problem here on MM.  I have never been a now show personally, but apparently lots of photogs have probs with that happening.

If you've never been a now show, do you show up after or before at all?

Aug 07 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

Melissa Bush

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

I always show up for shoots that are scheduled. I have had photographers cancel or be no shows.

Aug 07 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Moses has spoken.

Guess you didnt read the rest of the thread before posting a comment, if you had you would have noticed  that I'm not arguing for or against anyone, just elaborating on a suggestion from another member, and musing on a fewof those thoughts, also I went on to state of a positive feedback only system as well, had you read on.  Also the OMP choices are so vague, how many of the every 483 day updated wannabes have a zillion "good work" or "outstanding" comments left but no real work to show for it, all because of a tit flash.  If any negative thoughts were permiated in this discussion it would be the suggesting that I were wishing to bash anyone, as you would have went on to read is not the case.

Been on ebay lately?  They have the thing when someone leaves a negative feedback you can counterpoint.  They also have a mutual withdrawal option.  Havent heard of any lawsuit for defamation on ebay...

Try going to the end of a thread next time before hitting quote and reply.

BTW: Saw your port, nice work, there's a positive feedback.

I'll be terse.

>>>  Sorry if I offended.  My usage of "you" in my post was intended to be generic, not specific to you.

>>>  I did read the entire thread, and it seems that you were responding to someone who wanted to be able to identify and/or rate models who were no-shows.  After all, this is yet another "no-show" thread, not a "let's give positive feedback" thread.

>>>  This is a common subject, and whenever this thread is started, it's because someone wants to out the offending model.  And yes, there are quite a few folks in this thread who want some level of revenge for suffering a no-show.

>>>  If there were E-Bay lawsuits (or other unpleasantries), I doubt we'd hear about them.  Further, not the same thing -- if the model is attempting to earn a living through modeling, she'll have an easier time showing damages than someone selling junk on E-Bay (and yes, some folks try to earn a living on E-Bay; I'm just saying that a model will have an easier time.).

Aug 07 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

Chris Goodman/ CMG Pho wrote:
I have to admit...I know I'm not the best photg in the world (and have never claimed to be), but I think I can hold my own and get some good images.  Do you think it makes a difference that I work from a home studio?

No...but maybe work on diversifying your look.  It seems like you have worked with lots of models by looking at your port.  There are lots of interesting places to shoot outside...try to challenge yourself by working in different lights

Aug 07 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Ximena Bright wrote:

No...but maybe work on diversifying your look.  It seems like you have worked with lots of models by looking at your port.  There are lots of interesting places to shoot outside...try to challenge yourself by working in different lights

What she said.

Aug 08 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Bob Hubbard

Buffalo, New York, US

I've found a few models on the net.  Unfortunately, distance works against me at this time.  I've contacted a few, started communications, then when it came time to set up something concrete, they vanish.  The part I always find interesting is that their ports either never change, or the new stuff looks like it came off a camera phone. Oh well.

Every site, and this one is no exception has a few stand outs, a few stars, a number of up and comers, a large group of wanna-bes, and a large group of never gonna bes.

The serious ones, act professionally. They take it serious, period. 
The hobbiests, do it when it's convenient, or the mood strikes them.

I shoot every day. It might be a friend, it might be my gf, it might be my cat, it might be a bug crawling on a leaf.  Doesn't matter. I find a few minutes each day to work just that hair closer to my goal of becoming a better photographer.  I'm far from 'great', may never get there, but I'll try.

What's this have to do with models?
Alot.

The serious models will put the time in to get better. They will find photographers, they will hone their art (for it is an art), they will take care of their bodies, skin, health, etc.  It might mean doing alot of TFP shots, until they can build a solid portfolio and build the experience needed. It might be as simple as grabbing a pose book, and posing in front of a mirror for 15 minutes during lunch. Serious folks find the time.

One feature I wish this site had, was "date added" to port pics.  The way I figure it, if you do 4 shoots a month....you should be able to add 1 new pic minimal.

There are a number of serious models on here.  You can tell easily who is, and who isn't.  Camera phone pics or "high school poser" pics in a port older than 6 months...well, then they aren't serious.

Aug 08 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

e-string wrote:

Nope.. I've worked in home studios where the final product looks like it came from the most high tech place around.

With studio space often going for as much as $100.00 per hour, although there are exceptions, Most of the photographers I know here in LA shoot out of their homes at least part of the time. Some are fortunate enough to have a converted garage, but their domicile nontheless. I rent studio space only when I need it for the concept and if I have a reliable model. Most are not.

Aug 08 06 10:30 am Link