Forums > General Industry > the dreaded BF Avatar buy back...how much ?

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

The model in the avatar with wings.

The BF has arisen from  the doldrums and has demanded that  GF/model remove all her pics from the net.

I said fine - buyback is OK.  turns out he has no money. Now the poor model/GF is working overtime to get the cash.

should I hit them for a session fee  or a new F-150.

Aug 06 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You know the drill..

Extend pinky finger to corner of mouth, and say ...

One MEEELION dollars!!

Aug 06 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

More than just a session fee.  In a normal session I keep the right to use the images in my own portfolio and for self-promotion.  If Mr. Control Freak wants all the rights to the images then it should be expensive to get them. 

It's unfortunate that the model is working overtime to cover the cost, but the workings of their relationship is not your concern.  This is business.

Aug 06 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I see no need to gouge the model and no reason to indicate the boyfriend is a control freak. Just like with any product, there can be buyer’s remorse.
Deal with it just as you would want to be dealt with if you wants/needed to return anything you bought/leased.

Doing the right thing and feeling decent afterwards is priceless.

Aug 06 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I see no need to gouge the model and no reason to indicate the boyfriend is a control freak. Just like with any product, there can be buyer’s remorse.
Deal with it just as you would want to be dealt with if you wants/needed to return anything you bought/leased.

Doing the right thing and feeling decent afterwards is priceless.

I did Craig..the F-150 was a bit of humor.

Aug 06 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Models should not be allowed to have boyfriends, husbands, or any family that isn't in a vegetative state..

Can we put that in the release agreement?

Aug 06 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Don't make her do that to pay it... tell the boyfriend either HE pays since he's the one who wants the pictures down, or the pictures stay up.

Aug 06 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

PPRO Analyst

Chicago, Illinois, US

She was lucky.  I had a model's husband that wanted all the rights and the actual prints that had been sold by the gallery.  Total cost $15,000, including my "aggravation" fee.  They still ended up on priceless420.com

Aug 06 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne M Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I would suggest the repayment of what your normal session would cost plus an unstocking fee.
Explanation, many places charge a re-stocking fee when and item is returned. Considering the post processing that you have done on any and all images that you have posted and have given to this particular model in exchange for her services (this was TFP/TFCD right?). I feel that an un-stocking fee is appropriate.
Mind you I've never heard of an un-stocking fee. Matter of fact I think I may have just made it up. But it sounds good.
Seriously, this is my .02 cents worth and a lame attempt at some levity. Hell I don't even make money from my photography so I really have no basis for my suggestion.
But if anyone decides to use this suggestion, please remember to give me credit for suggestion it. smile.
Wayne

Aug 06 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Heatherly Nicole

Lake Charles, Louisiana, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

The BF has arisen from  the doldrums and has demanded that  GF/model remove all her pics from the net.

I said fine - buyback is OK.  turns out he has no money. Now the poor model/GF is working overtime to get the cash.

Hmm...I'm no photographer but it makes sense to me to charge twice the session fee, that way you get your fee for that shoot and then some more to find another model to recreate the images or just new images in general to replace what you've lost from your port. smile

Aug 06 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Prescott Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I hate when this happens.  That is a really nice picture and I know its not easy to give it up. Alot of my work is priceless to me.  Even if others may not see it as one the most beautiful photos, its still one of my babies.  Models like this need to get out of the business.  If he wants to be such a hard ass, make him pay for it.  You've created something beautiful, why should you give it up over his jealousy.  And if she is on this site, you should direct her to this forum and let her read everyone's comments and let her know that until she can work independently without worrying about a jealous boyfriend, she should quit modeling.

Aug 06 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Wow, are you ready to retire?

Aug 06 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

My personal feelings are if she was a paid model and you have a release, then three times the session fee. You have to go to the trouble of time lost finding a new (more reliable) model and starting over because she has to make b/f happy.

Aug 06 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

What type of release did she sign? 

Isn't there a DESPARATE HOUSEWIVES episode where Eva Longorias husband busts into a photographers office beats him up, and grabs all the images of his wife back?

Aug 06 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/idioms/images/pull_ones_leg3.jpg

Aug 06 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Why? If the model is happy with the photos (and I assume she is) then tell the boyfriend to f-off. I personally would not consider a "remove demand" from a jealous or controlling boyfriend. If he isn't happy with his girlfriend being a model then they need to deal with it; you have nothing to do with it. I say keep the photos, use them as you had agreed to in the contract/release, and let this be a learning lesson to the b/f. And I seriously doubt all her photographers are going to take down the photos they took with this model to make her b/f happy.

If he wants to pay you for all the rights then quote him the same price you would for a commercial client to buy all the rights for the images. And I'm not talking just doubling your sitting fee -- I'm talking about selling him the copyrights per image at a reasonable commercial rate. It's interesting that he;'s the one objecting and yet he's allowing his girlfriend to pay the photographers for the images. What a piece of work he is...

I really get tired of hearing about boyfriends demanding the model do something... And I have basically zero tolerance for them. And I fail to understand why some models choose stay with these people...

Blah.

-Pat-

Aug 06 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

If he feels he has lost face, then seppuku is his only option. It is the only honorable thing to do.

Aug 06 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

That's a real shame.  It's definitely one of your best pics, if not the best.

Paul

Aug 06 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Avicdar wrote:
You know the drill..

Extend pinky finger to corner of mouth, and say ...

One MEEELION dollars!!

Exactly.

Okay,  okay, be fair but you know the drill

Pay Me Now

Or

Shut up.

Aug 06 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
That's a real shame.  It's definitely one of your best pics, if not the best.

Paul

But I will do it again with a buxom model (ahem !), I might even put it in casting calls.

Aug 06 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

That's a damn shame, and that's a nice photo too.  If it bothers the boyfriend that much, he needs to get off his ass and make money so that poor girl isn't working her ass off just to please him.  She probably doesn't even wanna take the photos down.

Aug 06 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

demand = denied
request = respect

Aug 06 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Don't remove the pictures because of the boyfriend. We shouldn't encourage this sort of bad behavior. If the model signed a release then simply tell him no. If he insists on buying all rights, then charge him for all rights as you would a commercial photographer (and that's per image). Hopefully the model will dump this dork and continue modeling. When that happens (and it probably will) then you won't have to be concerned with the photos anyway. The photographs are between you and the model, not between you and him. His objections are irrelevant. Period. End of discussion.

-P-

Aug 06 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

megafunk wrote:
If he feels he has lost face, then seppuku is his only option. It is the only honorable thing to do.

We could only hope. But I doubt this dork has enough honor. Truly, he is not samurai!

Aug 06 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

Why must the neandethal be...

Can't he just revel in the fact that his GF is beautiful, I mean c'mon, she's posing as an angle for Christ's sake. Besides, If you pull it for payment or not, he will control the rest of her carreer...to the end of a one-way alley.

She should be the one asked if She want's it pulled down, fuck that guy he doesn't get to have an opinion....

I feel better now...
-j

Aug 06 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If anyone is feeling bad for the model, working to pay this, well... don't. She is the one who's making the decision, she's the one telling her boyfriend it is okay to demand this of her and the photographer.

What a waste of time.

I think charging the price of two sessions is more than appropriate.

If its that worth saving her relationship with what sounds like a really controlling boyfriend, then hell, let her pay it.

Aug 06 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Let them pay until she gets tired of overtime and dump the looser.

Aug 06 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

I did Craig..the F-150 was a bit of humor.

This was a joke?  I was about to vote on the F - 150. : (

Aug 06 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Let's not blame the BF if the model has given him this power over her.  A reasonable price should be paid for the photos -- a price set by the current owner.  I agree with 2-3 times the session fee.

Aug 06 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I learned to drive on a Ford F-150.

I recommend the session fee.  And copyright buyout.  And the boyfriend should pay it, not the model.

Aug 07 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
If anyone is feeling bad for the model, working to pay this, well... don't. She is the one who's making the decision, she's the one telling her boyfriend it is okay to demand this of her and the photographer.

What a waste of time.

I think charging the price of two sessions is more than appropriate.

If its that worth saving her relationship with what sounds like a really controlling boyfriend, then hell, let her pay it.

50 points.

Aug 07 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Pat Thielen wrote:
We could only hope. But I doubt this dork has enough honor. Truly, he is not samurai!

It was just a longer way to say fuck off and die while calling him a punk ass.

Aug 07 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Do you drive a Merc now?

Would you like to?

Studio36

Aug 07 06 03:02 am Link

Model

Christine

Replace it with a pic of me in wings...you know you want to wink

Aug 07 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

You've got to be kidding me!?

Either charge them up the ass or tell them to go to hell.  Both the model and her stupid boyfriend.

I'm sorry, but if someone takes off their clothes for a camera they better have thought good and hard about it before posing for you.  That includes the possible reactions of boyfriends and family members.  Once they sign a release it's no longer your problem.

Aug 07 06 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Charge them Per image!... Dont do a session Fee... Hit them with a sizeable amount per image, and that way they will only Buy the rights to selected images, and the rest you can keep, so it wont be a TOTAL waste of time...
But If it wants to buy each and every one, then his pockets should be considerable lighter afterwards, as a lesson well learned....

Aug 07 06 05:07 am Link

Model

Christine

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
You've got to be kidding me!?

Either charge them up the ass or tell them to go to hell.  Both the model and her stupid boyfriend.

I'm sorry, but if someone takes off their clothes for a camera they better have thought good and hard about it before posing for you.  That includes the possible reactions of boyfriends and family members.  Once they sign a release it's no longer your problem.

That's not fair.  Some photographers try to coerce you into doing things you dont want to.  I'm not saying UnoMundo did but some models crack with convincing photogs easier than others.  They get them all comfy with doing it and then later on they are like oh my god what did I do.  Charging them a lot for the pictures back is acceptable but telling them to go to hell is bullshit. 

And why is she doing whatever her b/f wants?  I'de understand if it was her or her parents, but b/f?

Aug 07 06 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Charge a per image fee at full commercial rates with copyright buyout, it is the only sensible thing to do in a case like this.

Aug 07 06 05:19 am Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Models should not be allowed to have boyfriends, husbands, or any family that isn't in a vegetative state..

Can we put that in the release agreement?

LOL!  Goodness that cracked me up this morning!  Funny!

Aug 07 06 05:19 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Better get that girl some of this!

https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MBG.jpg

Studio36

Aug 07 06 05:22 am Link