Forums > General Industry > the dreaded BF Avatar buy back...how much ?

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

Christine Summers wrote:
That's not fair.  Some photographers try to coerce you into doing things you dont want to.  I'm not saying UnoMundo did but some models crack with convincing photogs easier than others.  They get them all comfy with doing it and then later on they are like oh my god what did I do.  Charging them a lot for the pictures back is acceptable but telling them to go to hell is bullshit. 

And why is she doing whatever her b/f wants?  I'de understand if it was her or her parents, but b/f?

If a model doesn't have his/her limits set before showing up to a shoot then that is their problem. Pure and simple.  Hell, a smart model will set up those limits before a shoot even happens.  If you're the kind of person that can be "coerced" into doing something that you later regret then you really shouldn't be a model. PERIOD.  It's called having a backbone and using your brain.

Bottom line, she did the shoot and I assume she wasn't drugged or blackmailed into it.  If you want to attempt to re-write history then you should pay a hefty price tag.

Aug 07 06 06:59 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

studio36uk wrote:
Better get that girl some of this!

https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MBG.jpg

Studio36

I got some o' that. Apparently it works really really well. The effects linger still, haven't been able to keep a man around. It's quite nice actually.

Aug 07 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i think you should take the fee that you were going to charge them and have the model apply it to some good ol couples therapy.....

seriously. you should be careful,did you see desperate housewives episode when gabriel posed nude and carlos went to get her pics back, the photographer got a good a##-whooping.
Karma has a way of working out the universe, give her the image back and take a better shot with a better model. I would tell her that she can come pick up all the images in person, but she must bring her BF. when they come, in fornt of both of them, explain what this cost you both in time and in resources. Maybe she shouldn't be modeling if she has an irrational BF

Aug 07 06 07:18 am Link

Model

DUANE

Houston, Texas, US

HEY TELL HIM I COPIED THE IMAGE OFF YOUR PAGE BEFORE THEY CAME UP WITH WATEVER YOU CHARGED THEM AND I WANT $500  SENT IMMEDIATELY THRU PAYPAL TO DELETE IT:-)

Aug 07 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I note one detail that no one else has mentioned: once posted to the 'net, there is no way to expunge the image. At the very least it is still in the archives of all the network catalogues, including the Wayback Machine, and at the worst it has been stolen and is up on hundreds of OTHER websites around the world.

This would be the very first thing I'd point out to the BF: there is no physical way you, he, or anyone else can possibly recall an image once posted to the 'net. THEN I'd ask if he was prepared to pay the suggested fees just to remove the images from YOUR useage.

Aug 07 06 07:33 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

DUANE wrote:
HEY TELL HIM I COPIED THE IMAGE OFF YOUR PAGE BEFORE THEY CAME UP WITH WATEVER YOU CHARGED THEM AND I WANT $500  SENT IMMEDIATELY THRU PAYPAL TO DELETE IT:-)

Heh...but that's a valid point, because I've never understood people who freak out and try to remove all evidence that they ever modelled/posed nude. Do they not understand that on the Internet, there is NO WAY to be completely sure that there are no copies of the files in existence, anywhere? Even if they do buy back that photo, how many of us have it sitting in our caches right now?

Aug 07 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Lee-Bonaventure

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

Well if the model is the one paying, and she's trying to raise money by working overtime...would she be interested in doing a paid shoot?

: )

Aug 07 06 07:38 am Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

She's not nude though, it's implied nude.  And it's artistic.  I mean really, who is going to jerk off to that?

Aug 07 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I see no need to gouge the model and no reason to indicate the boyfriend is a control freak. Just like with any product, there can be buyer’s remorse.
Deal with it just as you would want to be dealt with if you wants/needed to return anything you bought/leased.

Doing the right thing and feeling decent afterwards is priceless.

Do you own stock in Vaseline or something?

Aug 07 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I see no need to gouge the model and no reason to indicate the boyfriend is a control freak. Just like with any product, there can be buyer’s remorse.
Deal with it just as you would want to be dealt with if you wants/needed to return anything you bought/leased.

Doing the right thing and feeling decent afterwards is priceless.

I have a problem with this whole buyer's remorse concept.  Just because the major department stores had a policy of accepting returns after the sale as a customer courtesy, does not indicate that all companies must adopt this model of business.  Even the major department stores are rethinking and changing their policies regarding returns.

From a business law perspective (no I am not a lawyer, this is that way it was presented in my business classes in school) the first party has a commodity for sale that the second party wants, negotiations take place to establish a price to be paid. Once the second party accepts the deal, and pays the price for the product, the sale is complete, and the process is over.  The only variation to this is if the first party misrepresented the product for sale, or it was defective.

This new age physco-babel about buyers remorse is just another way for the public to try to say that they are not responsible for their actions

Aug 07 06 08:29 am Link

Model

Christine

David Linke wrote:

I have a problem with this whole buyer's remorse concept.  Just because the major department stores had a policy of accepting returns after the sale as a customer courtesy, does not indicate that all companies must adopt this model of business.  Even the major department stores are rethinking and changing their policies regarding returns.

From a business law perspective (no I am not a lawyer, this is that way it was presented in my business classes in school) the first party has a commodity for sale that the second party wants, negotiations take place to establish a price to be paid. Once the second party accepts the deal, and pays the price for the product, the sale is complete, and the process is over.  The only variation to this is if the first party misrepresented the product for sale, or it was defective.

This new age physco-babel about buyers remorse is just another way for the public to try to say that they are not responsible for their actions

From a shopper's perspective (I took business classes, but this is more fun) the process is not over.  If you decide you really cant wear the shoes with anything else or you made an impulse purchase and the shoes really aren't you, you go back and Nordstrom's takes the shoes and gives you a refund....even if you've worn them for a week.

Aug 07 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Christine,

If the department store has a policy that allows returns as part of the marketing plan and overall business strategy, that is a whole different animal.  But, if there is no stated return policy, then legally there is no return policy.

Aug 07 06 08:44 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I wonder what would happin if I walked in to the Virgin mega store cafe in SF and demanded to have my image taken down off of the wall.
What would happin if I told John Blair I wanted all my nude images back...
Maybe if I robbed a bank or three I could buy back all the unsold copies of the book.

If a model is just begining and only has a few images out then she can buy back the so called rights to them and hope all the internet copies don't haunt her but their is a point when you can't go back, too bad, your nekked ass is out there and that is the what you chose to do so learn to live with your desision.

Aug 07 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Christine Summers wrote:
That's not fair.  Some photographers try to coerce you into doing things you dont want to.  I'm not saying UnoMundo did but some models crack with convincing photogs easier than others.  They get them all comfy with doing it and then later on they are like oh my god what did I do.  Charging them a lot for the pictures back is acceptable but telling them to go to hell is bullshit. 

And why is she doing whatever her b/f wants?  I'de understand if it was her or her parents, but b/f?

Christine, she asked for implied sexy shots. The subject of the BF came up during the shoot.  She said she could handle that.
I am smooooooooth, but not creepy. No one should be coerced, seduced into doing photos they dont want. People change their minds.I did a complete layout for a big butt magazine and the model changed her mind - concerned about her mama. She is now a stuntwoman in LA.

I erased those photographs..because of that the model drives from LA to Vegas for me to take her pics. That is a trust relationship.

The buyback is fine.    HInt: maybe I can reproduce those photos with a smoking hot biology major in LA

Aug 07 06 08:52 am Link

Model

Christine

Hahaha I'm telling you, I've always wanted a pair of wings!  However I would prefer mine to look like the Victoria's Secret wings...now those are hardore.

Aug 07 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm just gonna throw out there that comparing the transaction between a photographer and client to the sale of goods at a department store is a little unrealistic.

Aug 07 06 09:29 am Link

Model

Christine

Haha what gave you that idea?

Aug 07 06 09:39 am Link