Forums > General Industry > Ramifications of being caught nude in state park?

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

Has anyone have an information to share regarding if laws and ramifications for nudity in a state park are any different than the laws and ramifications that govern anywhere else?

Aug 02 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The Things Ive Seen wrote:
Has anyone have an information to share regarding if laws and ramifications for nudity in a state park are any different than the laws and ramifications that govern anywhere else?

It depends on the state and it depends on the park.

Aug 02 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

and the Park Ranger

and how hot the model is

and how you handle it

and.....

Aug 02 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

unless its a nude state park, it would be indecent exposure and possibably lewd acts.  If your state has "decency laws", watch out because they cover little things like cussing and spitting and might have something about being nude in public....

do they even have nude state parks? I mean theres nude beaches...

Aug 02 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I was in a state park in Calif.  We got caught.  Ranger Rick said for the model to get dressed and for us to get out and then he left.  I told the model that Ranger Rick will be back in 3 minutes and if she is not dressed and we are packing up off to jail she will go.  3 minutes later he came back and she was fully dressed and we were packing up.  He watched us leave the park. 

So he was pretty cool about it but was firm that we get out NOW.  bs

Aug 02 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

REPhotography wrote:
unless its a nude state park, it would be indecent exposure and possibably lewd acts.  If your state has "decency laws", watch out because they cover little things like cussing and spitting and might have something about being nude in public....

do they even have nude state parks? I mean theres nude beaches...

It is interesting because the OP is not in California, but you and I are.  So I can't comment on Wisconsin law.

What is interesting is that most people don't understand California law.  In California lewd conduct in public is illegal.  However, there was a landmark State Supreme Court decision which said that nude, by itself, does not equal lewd.  They gave examples such as nude sunbathing and determined that it doesn't violate state law.

In California, the laws which prohibit public nudity are either municipal or county ordinances.  That is why we have nude beaches that are legal.

As an example, if you go to Black's Beach in San Diego, it is illegal to be nude on the portion of the beach that is in the city of San Diego.  On the other hand, you can go to the portion that is in the unincorporated part of San Diego County and nudity is permitted.  The City of San Diego has an ordinance that bans public nudity, the county of San Diego does not.

That is why you need to look to the local laws that affect you.  Since I am neither an attorney nor familiar with Wisconsin law, I really can't advise the OP (nor should I since I am not a lawyer).

Aug 02 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I was shooting a model in a state park with 4 other girls.( We started out in a state park) The model was totally dressed.  One of the other girls pissed off the ranger...he started it and kept asking the girls out...he left...so we thought...never asked us to leave...hundreds of other people also around shooting kids...picinics...etc  He came back with the federal marshals and I got a $600 ticket for creating a public event on federal land.  Guess we cross onto federal land when we left the picinic area.  Another local photographer had to go to court because he got a $3500 ticket because a ranger saw his model change clothes in a federal park.  His fine was reduced but as he decribes it was a pain in the ass.

Aug 02 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Ask George Michael wink

Aug 02 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Like the others, I know nothing about the laws where you are. I also do not know if this place is a state park or how far you are from it, but you can check out

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9011/mazo.html

Mazo Beach is a known and accepted clothing optional area. Woods, beach, water and a nude model. What more could you want? smile

Aug 02 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

I've never been kicked out of a state park, but I've been kicked out of a cemetery!  smile

Aug 02 06 12:52 pm Link

Model

Sweet Emotion 68

Oldsmar, Florida, US

Hello...................I really cant say but I have taken some risque topless images in a park last year.................almost got caught and it was worth it...............but you do have to be careful and make sure that no minors/kids are nearby......................

Aug 02 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

eh...who cares what the law is, just take a chance and do it.  If you get caught and worse case scenario, thrown in jail (HIGHLY unlikely) then call up your local paper, tell them all about it, and I'm sure they'd do a story about it.  The publicity will make you famous.

More then likely however, if you get in trouble it's not going to be worth the officers time and they'll just tell you to leave.

I've been caught a zillion times during photo shoots.  Most people end up apologizing to me and the model for interupting rather then the other way around. Once or twice I've been told to move along and once I was put in hand cuffs.  Of course, in that particular case I was attempting to photograph a nude on the side of a church on a busy street so I guess I deserved that one.

Aug 02 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Egendorf

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Now why would a photographer want to shoot in the nude in a park? ; P

Brian E.

Aug 02 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brian Egendorf wrote:

Brian E.

I was wondering the same thing.  Is this one of those photoshoots where the model is dressed and the photographer is nude?

Aug 02 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Entry fee for a day in the nearby state park:                                    $5
Court fees and fine for getting caught naked in the park:                  $100

Look on the rangers face as he busts out laughing at your little dingaling:
                                                                                                  ...Priceless!   

for everything else, theres Master Card.

Aug 02 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

im gonna keep on saying it until people actually pay attention

GET THE DAMN STATE PARK STILL PHOTOGRAPHY PERMIT

and if you really want to "be cool" get the state park MOVIE FILM permit, then you can even crash a 747 into the park

Aug 02 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Billy Pegram wrote:
I was shooting a model in a state park with 4 other girls.( We started out in a state park) The model was totally dressed.  One of the other girls pissed off the ranger...he started it and kept asking the girls out...he left...so we thought...never asked us to leave...hundreds of other people also around shooting kids...picinics...etc  He came back with the federal marshals and I got a $600 ticket for creating a public event on federal land.  Guess we cross onto federal land when we left the picinic area.  Another local photographer had to go to court because he got a $3500 ticket because a ranger saw his model change clothes in a federal park.  His fine was reduced but as he decribes it was a pain in the ass.

You Americans need to start fighting for your freedom at home.

Aug 02 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

B2 Pictures

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

One model I worked with did some "implied nudity" for her shoot in the woods in this park near her neighborhood. You can see the pics in my gallery (the Amanda Pendergraph photos), and while I don't mean to "kill the illusion", any shot you see her covering her chest with her hat, she actually still has her tanktop and bra on and it's all just hidden under the hat. However, her and I have been talking about doing more risque shots in my relatives' swimming pool in the privacy of their backyard. She says she enjoys being a tease, but I still like to make sure it looks more artistic and sensual rather than always flirty... although the one color "topless" photo of her in my gallery with her having her finger on her lip was her idea :-b

Aug 02 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

B2 Pictures wrote:
One model I worked with did some "implied nudity" for her shoot in the woods in this park near her neighborhood. You can see the pics in my gallery (the Amanda Pendergraph photos), and while I don't mean to "kill the illusion", any shot you see her covering her chest with her hat, she actually still has her tanktop and bra on and it's all just hidden under the hat. However, her and I have been talking about doing more risque shots in my relatives' swimming pool in the privacy of their backyard. She says she enjoys being a tease, but I still like to make sure it looks more artistic and sensual rather than always flirty... although the one color "topless" photo of her in my gallery with her having her finger on her lip was her idea :-b

I did some shots in a public city park here in Orlando with a model who was "topless" and because the environment was uncontrolled and we would've gotten arrested if she'd been nude even WITH our shooting permit, I got her some of those skin-toned stick on faux bra cups.  That way if her hands slipped or she dropped her hat or whatever she was still covered.  Any small peeking edges were easy to cover.

Luckily from here there're several FEDERAL parks in close proximity where it's easy to do this sort of thing & not violate state laws.
And the fed park rangers're generally cool if you talk to them up front.

Aug 02 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

The ramifications for my getting caught naked in a State park? Depends on how the press chose to handle it, and were the mosquitos biting?

Aug 03 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I live just outside of Joshua Tree National Monument, a federal park, and when I have been there with models I have checked with the rangers to see if there is a location they suggest for us to use.

I have yet to run into any problems other than hikers who want to sit and watch while the model is undressing or topless.

It's my belief that if you approach things in the right manner you will not have any problems.  So ask permission, get the right permits, and check your locations before you "ASS-U-ME" anything.

Aug 03 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

As a fellow Wisconsinite who spends a lot of time in state parks, I might be able to shed a little light on the situation. Legally, under Wisconsin State law you  (or the model) could be charged with public nudity.  I've looked over the state laws on the subject, and Couldn't find any more than that... thgough if you wanted to look, here is Wisconsin's Legal Code: http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/ … e_Frame_Pg

One option is to just do it, and hope you don't get caught.  I've done a nude shoot in Blue Mound State Park just fine.  All I had to do was venture off the trails about 100 or 150 yards, found a nice little clearing in the trees, and shot away.  Although if a ranger happened across you, he would have the right to be a hard-ass about tickiting you. 

The State park system is run by Wisconsin DNR, and you can find a list of all the WisDNR's permit and licenses here: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/licenses.htm

As you can see there is no special Art or photography or filming permit, or anything like that.  If you wanted to go about this the legal way, I would assume all you need to do is ask.  Worst cas scenario: They say no.  I would think that depending on the park, and the ranger it might not be difficult. 

If you are thinking of shooting at devil's lake, that would probably not be allowed, given the thousands of visitors there each year... Now Amnicon falls, on the other hand, mught be very feasable, since it is not nearly as busy.  That said, I have met some real asshole rangers, even at smaller slower parks. 

By the way, which park are you looking at shooting in?

Aug 03 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot right outside my studio all the time. Smashbox is across the street and I've seen them with girl just about nude on the corner shooting. I've had motorcycle cops stop and peep my nude shoots. I think they love it. I dont know the law in Cali, but it seems in my little artsy corner of the world we are left alone for arts sake.

States parks? I have no idea, but I wanna! Cause nature shoots rule!

V

Aug 03 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

the man will just want to take a pic with you so he or she can show to their buddies. kidding . theyll probably want to know what your doing and if its against the law to walk around nude ie. indecent exposure youll probably get a warning , fine or arrested. depends on state , county laws. thats why theres legal nude beaches and parks.

Aug 03 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

For everyones information I am shooting a nude/swimsuit shoot at Koehler Andres State Park just south of Sheboygan WI. Rolling white sand dunes, beautiful water. The park opens at 6:00am and I plan to be there at that time.
As you can tell by looking at my portfolio, I am no stranger to shooting nudes outside, in fact the one shot of the girl lying on the train tracks was across the street from the "Worlds Largest Brat Fest" earlier this year. I've also shot nudes in countless state parks, including Koehler Andres, between here and California.
I've taken my share of risks and intend that this shoot will be no less risky. We are going to be right out in the open where the water meets the shore. No trees, no nothing to block anyones view.
I have never been caught by any law inforcement in the countless outdoor shoots I have done, I also don't plan on it happening this weekend.
Never the less...
What I was hoping to achieve from this thread is some additional knowledge to use as my defense should we be caught. Are the laws in a state park any different than laws outside a state park? I don't need a ranger threatening me with laws that don't really exist, but are only being fabricated to scare me/us.
Knowledge is power.
The only thing I ever heard about public nudity is that someone has to report actually being offended by it and then the authorities are obligated to take action beyond a warning.
My goal, get some great shots and be no more an expert on getting caught than I am now.

Aug 03 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

I don't know about that but I do know that a model I photographed was fined $300 for being nude at a state beach.  I paid the fine since I was the one who took him there but I can only guess that there would be a similiar fine.

Aug 03 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

One word of caution -- things get very ugly if one of you isn't a U.S. citizen.  Think deporting.

Aug 03 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Never the less...
What I was hoping to achieve from this thread is some additional knowledge to use as my defense should we be caught. Are the laws in a state park any different than laws outside a state park? I don't need a ranger threatening me with laws that don't really exist, but are only being fabricated to scare me/us.

As I mentioned before, the state parks here are operated and policed by DNR agents, lthough, they are law enforcement officers.  There are state laws against public nudity, but as far as I can tell the DNR doesn't have any additional restrictions other than the state statutes.

Aug 03 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

state parks fall under federal laws, not local.

EDIT: mad this was a responce to your post. It was just a general comment on the threat topic.

Aug 03 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I've photographed two models topless/semi-nude in a local city park.  We have just got there very early in the morning for the good light & to avoid other people. We also used a more remote section of the park.  I've also had an assistant with a walkie-talkie patrolling outside the shoot area to warn us of if anyone approached.

Aug 03 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

You Americans need to start fighting for your freedom at home.

We screwed up our own country so much we have no choice but to find other places to screw up. It gets boring making laws on top of laws to take away our rights at home..

Mike

Aug 03 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Hmmm, I think you have it backwards.  State parks fall under state law.  Federal parks are also governed by state law as well.

The feds have no written policy regarding nudity except that they will follow whatever the local (state or municipal) law as it applies to the area the park is located.

As an example, I was having a shoot at a beach north of Cape Canaveral.  It happens to be an area where there is no local law prohibitting nudity. 

When I went to apply for the permit I told them of my intention to shoot nudes and they advised me that there was no reason to even include that on the application.  Since nudity was permitted in the County where the shoot would take place, it wasn't an issue.

So I understand your point, but it is actually the opposite.

But let's get back to the OP, I have no idea what the laws are in Wisconsin, but you also need to check the local (municipal and/or county) laws where the park is located.

Aug 03 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I dunno, but as an aside, a couple of years ago a model was posing nude in a city park in Atlanta, where the Bible belt buckles. She saw a police car stop nearby, behind the photographer's back. She commented that the police had arrived and quickly dressed. She became a bit confused when she saw the cop laughing like mad, until she spotted the photographer. All she could see was his heels,  butt and camera bag which was flopping in the wind as he set a new record for the 100 yard dash. That brave photographer was long gone when the cop gave her a ride to a local bus line.

Models, know your photographer!

Aug 03 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Heh... if that's true, then noboby better tell the federal government about our legal code here: According to the Wisconsin legal code, capter 27.01 " It is declared to be the policy of the state legislature to acquire, improve, preserve and administer a system of areas to be known as the state parks of Wisconsin." 

Although later it does mention "...Enter into agreements with the federal government, the government of neighboring states, state departments, counties, towns, scientific societies, organizations, individuals or others on any subject considered of concern and benefit to the state parks."

Peter Dattolo wrote:

EDIT: mad this was a responce to your post. It was just a general comment on the threat topic.

Aug 03 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Brian Egendorf wrote:

Brian E.

I find it very freeing.  You should try it sometime...

Aug 03 06 09:10 pm Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

makes me glad to:

a) be in ontario, where at least being topless is legal, ANYWHERE, and,

b) have 30 acres of forest, ponds, and hills in the niagra escarpment as a family property.

Aug 04 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

If you want to know about nudity in state parks in Wisconsin, particularly, contact the Naturist Society in Oshkosh.

Aug 04 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Secluded spots with limited access, a trusted assistant, and a good pair of walkie talkies (with fresh batteries) --- the combination to success.   Oops, what's that tumpa thumpa thumpa sound????

Aug 04 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

christian severin

San Francisco, California, US

Not only state, but local obsenity laws may also aply. Better talk to Ranger Rick first.

Aug 04 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Doug Lester wrote:
I dunno, but as an aside, a couple of years ago a model was posing nude in a city park in Atlanta, where the Bible belt buckles. She saw a police car stop nearby, behind the photographer's back. She commented that the police had arrived and quickly dressed. She became a bit confused when she saw the cop laughing like mad, until she spotted the photographer. All she could see was his heels,  butt and camera bag which was flopping in the wind as he set a new record for the 100 yard dash. That brave photographer was long gone when the cop gave her a ride to a local bus line.

Models, know your photographer!

That's funny!!

Aug 05 06 04:09 am Link