Forums > General Industry > Ramifications of being caught nude in state park?

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:
You Americans need to start fighting for your freedom at home.

Yes, we do.

Aug 05 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

You can get harassed in state parks even if you are NOT shooting nudes.  Some of my fellow photographers and I have been kicked out of state parks in Georgia for shooting swimwear along a creek or river. Alot of time it depends on the ranger himself/herself.  We have been shooting in a park after being allowed to do so by one ranger only later to be told to leave by another ranger.  Lesson:  It pays to have permission in the form of some kind of permit. That way, the grunts can't easily argue with you.

Aug 05 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

LOL  Ask us nudists about this topic.   Try this site for some info.

http://www.contra.org/lifestyles/naturist/legal.html

Aug 05 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

SLE Photography wrote:

I did some shots in a public city park here in Orlando with a model who was "topless" and because the environment was uncontrolled and we would've gotten arrested if she'd been nude even WITH our shooting permit, I got her some of those skin-toned stick on faux bra cups.  That way if her hands slipped or she dropped her hat or whatever she was still covered.  Any small peeking edges were easy to cover.

Luckily from here there're several FEDERAL parks in close proximity where it's easy to do this sort of thing & not violate state laws.
And the fed park rangers're generally cool if you talk to them up front.

Most federal parks now require photography permits.

Aug 05 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

ADG Photography wrote:

Yes, we do.

I "herd" that! (as in a herd of sheeple).

Aug 05 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Marty Gast

Dallas, Texas, US

I picked up a copy of the National Park Service (NPS) requirements for shooting in Texas.  A commercial photographer can shoot in any park WITHOUT a permit as long as they are not shooting a prop or model.  The costs are as follows:

The NPS has the authority to recover and retain all costs of providing necessary services associated with filming activities. A $100 non-refundable application fee is required at the time of application. NPS costs to monitor the activity are $50 per hour per employee (2 hour minimum). A $1,000,000 general commercial liability insurance policy is also required, and a performance bond may be required depending on the activity. Location fees are not currently collected. Commercial photographers, and their crew, who obtain a filming permit from the NPS are
recognized as not being in the park for recreational purposes for the duration and purposes of that permit, and as such, are exempted from paying entrance fees.

As a sidebar, the cost for a photography permit at DFW Airport is $600 half day or $1,000 for a full day!

Aug 14 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

I would really want to check the law locally. In the last few years the scope of what is included under "sex offence" laws has been broadened greatly. I know under at least some circumstances in some areas a public indecency conviction can cause you to be forced to register as a sex offender.
Also consider this: A year or two ago in my region, I forget exactly where, a Photographer and model snuck around a small town taking nude in public pictures in front of identifiable local landmarks and even a police car. Amongst other things.
The pictures were posted to the web on one of their sites with traceable contact info.
Somehow or another the local police chief caught wind of the pictures, found the site, tracked down the photog and model and charged them with a public nudity charge on the basis of the photos.
Food for thought.

Aug 14 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

StevesPhotography wrote:
I would really want to check the law locally. In the last few years the scope of what is included under "sex offence" laws has been broadened greatly. I know under at least some circumstances in some areas a public indecency conviction can cause you to be forced to register as a sex offender.
Also consider this: A year or two ago in my region, I forget exactly where, a Photographer and model snuck around a small town taking nude in public pictures in front of identifiable local landmarks and even a police car. Amongst other things.
The pictures were posted to the web on one of their sites with traceable contact info.
Somehow or another the local police chief caught wind of the pictures, found the site, tracked down the photog and model and charged them with a public nudity charge on the basis of the photos.
Food for thought.

I wonder how many rapists, thieves and murderers he could have been tracking down while he was wasting the taxpayer's money chasing these people down. He should be tied to a post and flogged, 200 strokes with a knotted rope, for being a complete moron.

Aug 14 06 11:46 am Link