Forums > General Industry > model asked me if i could take her photos down

Photographer

GeneCorleto Photography

Central Islip, New York, US

hi dont know if this is the correct space to put this ,im lookin for advice
i shot 2 models last month  lisa and crystal 
both friends  , last nite i got one phone call and 2 emails both models decided that they would like me to take there photos down , one said boyfriend problems the other said someone was stealing there photos
so me being a nice guy took down all there photos from all my sites , this mornin i go to there sites ,lisa took all her pics down that i shot of her but crystal has my photos up still on my space and here on modelmayhem
oh yes the photos at most were bathing suit pictures ,nothing wrong with them  in fact the ones i used on my site they used on there site
and yes i have model releases by both models and yes bot models are over the age of 21
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
i already wrote them asking whats the story
thanks for all your time
gene corleto
mm675

Aug 01 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Respect their wishes..remove the images from your online work. DO NOT ask them why or have ANY further contact with them. Store the images on CD with your release form and wait...for them to become famous!

Oliver

Aug 01 06 06:59 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

If I was you I would not have taken the photos down. But was it a TFCD, did you pay or they?

Heidi

Aug 01 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

For what it is worth, if a model asks me to remove a photo (only happened once), I comply immediately.  I assure all my models that I will not post, or I will remove, any and all photos they don't want posted, regardless of the reason.  If you suspect you may be dealing with a flakey model, then all the more reason to remove the photos.  The possibility of any future grief just ain't worth it!!  Move on; there are many other fish in the sea.

Aug 01 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I would just take them down.  Not worth the hastle.  One shoot with them, right?  There are plenty more models and shoots.

Aug 01 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Far West Imaging wrote:
I would just take them down.  Not worth the hastle.  One shoot with them, right?  There are plenty more models and shoots.

Amen, brother!

Aug 01 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

I once had a model's AGENCY tell me to take her photos down.  Guess what my answer was . . .

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 01 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Make sure your name is on the shots they are using on MySpace, that's great exposure.

Aug 01 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

gene corleto  wrote:
hi dont know if this is the correct space to put this ,im lookin for advice
i shot 2 models last month  lisa and crystal 
both friends  , last nite i got one phone call and 2 emails both models decided that they would like me to take there photos down , one said boyfriend problems the other said someone was stealing there photos
so me being a nice guy took down all there photos from all my sites , this mornin i go to there sites ,lisa took all her pics down that i shot of her but crystal has my photos up still on my space and here on modelmayhem
oh yes the photos at most were bathing suit pictures ,nothing wrong with them  in fact the ones i used on my site they used on there site
and yes i have model releases by both models and yes bot models are over the age of 21
WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
i already wrote them asking whats the story
thanks for all your time
gene corleto
mm675

I've had this happen a couple of times. Both asked nicely and were apologetic, so I just took them down. If they had gone belligerent or threatening, I would have required them to buy out my investment in the shoot, but since they were nice, I complied with their wishes.

Regards,
Paul

Aug 01 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Thats probably happened or going to happen to most of us.  I dont know how you feel about your shots, but the one that asked me to take down what was probably the best shot I've ever taken.  Was because of her stupid boyfriend.  This was what I consider to be an absolutely gorgeous artistic shot and the dumbass just cant see past it.  We went back and forth and she just wouldnt let it go.  I finally took it down but to me its heart breaking.  Its like having one of your children taken away, or your diploma rescinded.  This was to me a huge mark of achievement.  Really pisses me off.  I havent worked with her since.

Aug 01 06 07:10 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

BUT.....he said one of the other model is still posting the pictures? I'm sorry, but if she can post them, why can't he? Obviously there is nothing wrong with them, or she wouldn't be using them.

I wouldn't cause a scene, but I would definitely ask politely if you can post one or two, since she is still using them. The pics will either come down, or she will say yes.

Good luck!

Dawn

Aug 01 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Eric S. wrote:
Make sure your name is on the shots they are using on MySpace, that's great exposure.

I agree, demand credit on their MySpace and to link you from their site or make her remove your pics from there also.  If they dont want to, then put the images back up on your site. 

Never deal with these pop-culture bubble heads.

Aug 01 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Take them down, of course.  No questions asked.

You've got 36 photos. Just replace them with two others if for some reason you feel you need 38, or 40, or whatever.

-Glenn

Aug 01 06 07:15 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
BUT.....he said one of the other model is still posting the pictures? I'm sorry, but if she can post them, why can't he? Obviously there is nothing wrong with them, or she wouldn't be using them.

I wouldn't cause a scene, but I would definitely ask politely if you can post one or two, since she is still using them. The pics will either come down, or she will say yes.

Good luck!

Dawn

Sure, he can post them all he wants, and, most probably, there isn't much she really can do about it.  Asking, politely, to use one or more, as she is posting them, is fine, too.  I just make it a policy to remove on request regardless of the reason(s) or circumstance(s).

I just booked a shoot with a gorgeous lady, here, who also is a prosecuting attorney, of all things.  She had her photos stolen off her website (since closed for that reason) and used by another female to solicit dates!  Even she said there really wasn't a whole heck of a lot she could do about it, and she is a prosecutor!!  Go figure.

It ain't worth the hassle--take 'em down and move on.  Dario, sorry to hear what happened to you.  I may even know the person!

Aug 01 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
Thats probably happened or going to happen to most of us.  I dont know how you feel about your shots, but the one that asked me to take down what was probably the best shot I've ever taken.  Was because of her stupid boyfriend.  This was what I consider to be an absolutely gorgeous artistic shot and the dumbass just cant see past it.  We went back and forth and she just wouldnt let it go.  I finally took it down but to me its heart breaking.  Its like having one of your children taken away, or your diploma rescinded.  This was to me a huge mark of achievement.  Really pisses me off.  I havent worked with her since.

Sorry to hear that, Dario.  I may even know the person.  Send a private message, if you wish.

Aug 01 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

GeneCorleto Photography

just so you all know, i did take them all down  as soon as they asked except on my myspace site  since there having problems over there i  cant get in to delete  them  and yes my name is on all there photos the ones here that she has up on modelmayhem on her site
and shows that she was on her site yesterday the same day she asked me to take hers down from here and all my other sites
like i said it just bugged me out to see them up still on her site
and yes i shoot alot i average 6 models a week so i know there are other models to shoot thats no problem and i have plenty of space on my sites
its just weird , never had this happen before where a model  asks me to take my photos down and they keep theres up that i shot
peace
gene corleto

Aug 01 06 07:23 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

gene corleto  wrote:
just so you all know, i did take them all down  as soon as they asked except on my myspace site  since there having problems over there i  cant get in to delete  them  and yes my name is on all there photos the ones here that she has up on modelmayhem on her site
and shows that she was on her site yesterday the same day she asked me to take hers down from here and all my other sites
like i said it just bugged me out to see them up still on her site
and yes i shoot alot i average 6 models a week so i know there are other models to shoot thats no problem and i have plenty of space on my sites
its just weird , never had this happen before where a model  asks me to take my photos down and they keep theres up that i shot
peace
gene corleto

Illigitimi non carborundum  "Don't let the, ahem,... illegitimates....grind you down!

Aug 01 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

GeneCorleto Photography

of her site cyrstal9 has i think 9 shots up that i shot of her i think her numeber is mm 153411

Aug 01 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

GeneCorleto Photography

opps i said her number

Aug 01 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Images by Lester

Lauderhill, Florida, US

I've had that happen twice. Not a problem, took the requested photos down (did not ask that all be removed) I have an agreement with the models beforehand, which states that I will not post any photo they do not want posted, or remove any they wish removed. We all have family, boyfriends/girlfriends, friends, that sway the model's opinion. So comply, what's the problem?

Aug 01 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

And she has a problem posting with YOU posting pix of your swimsuit shots?  WTF?

Aug 01 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Images by Lester wrote:
I've had that happen twice. Not a problem, took the requested photos down (did not ask that all be removed) I have an agreement with the models beforehand, which states that I will not post any photo they do not want posted, or remove any they wish removed. We all have family, boyfriends/girlfriends, friends, that sway the model's opinion. So comply, what's the problem?

The problem is that if its TFP, it is work that was done to enhance your portfolio.  FOR SHOW.  I think a lot of these girls think this is some kind of frivolous game.  My experience forced me to change tactic on that -- I tell them I only shoot TFP for marketable gain and the images will be sold if possible.  If you're not comfortable with your images being out there, dont shoot with me.

Aug 01 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

I just looked at the one girl's portfolio. Nice stuff, Gene, and I fail to understand why she's displaying so many of them and requesting you take them down. Seems to be a vast contradiction.

Aug 01 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Community Photography

HOWARD BEACH, New York, US

I would take them down and move on her lose not yours but I would ask her to give me copyright on myspace

Aug 01 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Mec Art Photography

Kingston, New York, US

I've been asked, and since it was nicely and there was a reason, I did.

Aug 01 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

I'm hearing some many of you guys say that you just take the pics down if requested by a model. It makes me wonder why the hell we shooting them at all or even bothering with a model release that clear give sthe photographer rights if with just a phone call or e-mail the images are history.

For me personally, if it is a model I plan to, or want to work with again then that would be the only reason to take them down and that would be with some condition, never give something without getting soemthing in return. If in my mind it was a one time deal, no and hell no, goodbye.

Aug 01 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

Being a nice guy is always good business...so long as it doesn't get abused.  I'd take them down.  I did it on one occasion and the benefits that I reaped were significant.

I would, however, ask her why she isn't giving you a credit on the images that are up on MM.  And of course I would make it extra clear that any photos that stay up on MySpace must have full copyright information.  Period.  If those are not agreeable terms then you can simply repost the images at your discretion or let the jealous boyfriend buy them from you.

Aug 01 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Prescott Photo

George Butler wrote:
I'm hearing some many of you guys say that you just take the pics down if requested by a model. It makes me wonder why the hell we shooting them at all or even bothering with a model release that clear give sthe photographer rights if with just a phone call or e-mail the images are history.

For me personally, if it is a model I plan to, or want to work with again then that would be the only reason to take them down and that would be with some condition, never give something without getting soemthing in return. If in my mind it was a one time deal, no and hell no, goodbye.

I agree with George.  This has happened to me a several times and when I first started, just to stay on good terms with the model, I would take it down but now its a different story.  Last year I took a model out to Joshua Tree, which is a 2 hour drive and did an all day photo shoot and got some super images and a year later I recently got an email from the model asking me to take the photos off my website.  Hell no!  I spent my time and money to create good shots and I'm not going to just toss them because you got a change of heart for what you've done.  Thats why I always ask the model are they 100% sure they want to shoot with me, especially when it comes to fine art nudes and have them sign a release because I don't have that kind of time and energy to waste on joy shoots.  Its a business not play time so they need to know what they are getting into before they do it.  Their boyfriends need to just get over and they need to think about how certain images will affect their future careers before they do it.  I don't have time for pity parties.

Aug 01 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Polsfuss

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I had this happen recently as well. Since it was originally supposed to be a TFCD shoot, I made her pay for the shoot(at a discount). I had my time in shooting her and in editing her images. I don't know about you, but my time is worth something. If I can't use the images, how is a trade even valid anymore? While I sympathize that her insecure boyfriend is pressuring her to remove the shots, she entered into a contract and signed a release.

As for the other girl, still posting your images, she voids any request to remove images by having them out there herself. If she takes them down and asks you again, see the above suggestion. ;-)

Models: I am not trying to be a hardass here, but this is the bottomline. Know what you are comfortable shooting before the shoot. Don't sign your release until the end of the shoot and if need be note any restrictions (i.e. no nip slips or see through shots posted).

Photographers: Always...Always...Always, get a release signed. If you don't, you have no real protection in these situations. Also, especially when shooting "sexy" TFP/CD, be sure that the model is aware of the consequences of recalling her shots.

J M

Aug 01 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

The thing that gets me is that these guys hook up with these chicks because they are obviously visible -- they are open, free spirited girls proud of their bodies and like to socialize and get out.  Guys are attracted to that, then when they hook up, they want to change the girl.  Make them cover up, be around them all the time, keep them away from their friends and activities.

Like, wha??  You want to change the very thing that made her so attractive?  So stupid.  Leave her be you morons.

Aug 01 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Tre Mosley

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I've had similar situations happen to me as well....luckily the models agreed to compensate me for the investment. I had a model do a few shoots, unbeknownst to her husband in the military, upon his return, she literally bombarded my email and cell phone without fail. She NEGELECTED to mention she was married and that he didnt KNOW about her modeling. Lesson learned, I have a short series of questions i ask beforehand so that this problem doesnt occur again.

Aug 01 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

NEXT!

Aug 01 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

Good luck!

Dawn

I agree. Take them down when she does. And tell her that is what you're doing.

Aug 01 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

GeneCorleto Photography

again the pictures are down thanks for all the input the mind blower is that she has them still up on her sites will do as advised 
thanks again
peace
gene corleto
ps shootin  in a  few minutes
next

Aug 01 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'd keep them up if I felt the images were strong and representative of my work~ 
If I took them down, I'd ask the models to remove them from myspace as well nd cease all other public use...if they don't, report the images as copyright infringement to the myspace management citing that they no longer have useage rights.

Yes, I can be a bastard sometimes, but you put your time and effort in to the work in good faith for the sole reason of having work to display.

Aug 01 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Metro_Glamour

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

You never know what goes on behind closed doors.  One model I worked with (that was also a good friend), got beaten up by her husband, then raped, then tied to a chair, and then the husband took off with their child.  (Fortunately they were caught just before leaving the country.)

Another model (and good friend) had a very controlling boyfriend who was jealous of attention by anyone else.  He expected her to be by his side 24x7 when she wasn't working.  That was the reason she often had to cancel photo sessions.  She finally got sick of his controlling nature and broke up.  He gave her back everything they had ever exchanged and said any time he comes across her picture he will burn it to erase her completely from his memory.

There are some really creepy, weird boyfriends and husbands out there - even though the girlfriend or wife may be the sweetest, most charming person around.  You just don't know what goes on in people's private lives.  I have never been asked to take photos down - but I make it clear to everyone I work with that that is an option.  I feel that that makes them much more at ease during the photo session - especially if the photos are more risque in nature.

Aug 01 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

I have never been asked to take photos down - but I make it clear to everyone I work with that that is an option.  I feel that that makes them much more at ease during the photo session - especially if the photos are more risque in nature.

I cant help but ask, whats the point of taking the photos if you dont get paid and you're liable to not be able to use them as examples of your work?

Aug 01 06 09:00 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Ask them how much its worth to them. That usually shuts them up.

Aug 01 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Ask them how much its worth to them. That usually shuts them up.

Exquisite.

Aug 01 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

jmpolsfuss wrote:
I had this happen recently as well. Since it was originally supposed to be a TFCD shoot, I made her pay for the shoot(at a discount). I had my time in shooting her and in editing her images. I don't know about you, but my time is worth something. If I can't use the images, how is a trade even valid anymore? While I sympathize that her insecure boyfriend is pressuring her to remove the shots, she entered into a contract and signed a release.

As for the other girl, still posting your images, she voids any request to remove images by having them out there herself. If she takes them down and asks you again, see the above suggestion. ;-)

Models: I am not trying to be a hardass here, but this is the bottomline. Know what you are comfortable shooting before the shoot. Don't sign your release until the end of the shoot and if need be note any restrictions (i.e. no nip slips or see through shots posted).

Photographers: Always...Always...Always, get a release signed. If you don't, you have no real protection in these situations. Also, especially when shooting "sexy" TFP/CD, be sure that the model is aware of the consequences of recalling her shots.

J M

I agree with this statement here. As a courtesy, I would remove the images and discuss with the model the reason for the removal.  Honestly, if you are not able to use the images and you have a model release - the model should pay for your time both for the shoot and for the time spent retouching the images.

In addition, if the model is using the images - but does not want to pay for them or allow you use of the images - I would revoke the use rights.  Especially if there is no credit given.

I do a lot of TFCD shoots - and one of the things I stress is that if the model posts the images anywhere, copyright and credit information has to be given.  I always retain copyright and ownership of the images...

I've run into situations like this a few times... But have never had any problems getting it resolved.

~Saryn

Aug 01 06 09:09 am Link