Forums > General Industry > Asian and African American models

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Seems to be very hard to find truly good (whick includes dependable!) Asian and African American models.  Thoughts?

Jul 28 06 06:42 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Stevens Photogrpahy wrote:
Seems to be very hard to find truly good (whick includes dependable!) Asian and African American models.  Thoughts?

I'm lost.... Are you saying that you haven't found any African American and Asian models that are dependable and can model efficiently?

Jul 28 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

dee740 wrote:

I'm lost.... Are you saying that you haven't found any African American and Asian models that are dependable and can model efficiently?

That's pretty much the gist of it.  I have tried, repeatedly, to find Asian and African American models for shoots, with no success.  Casting calls get no responses--or very little, and the very few times I have discussed a shoot with a model or booked a shoot, the model flaked. 

Don't get me wrong:  in no way am I insinuating that Asian and African models are all flakes.  I have just endeavored, for some time now, to work with Asian and African American models, without success.  For example, over the last few days, I have made repeated announcements on MM asking for responses from Asian and African American models--no responses.

There are, of course, many factors, including distances, pay, and so on, but I would love to work with some good Asian and African American models, and I'm coming up goose eggs! smile  Any suggestions?

Jul 28 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Yes , it may be because of your location... NOT NYC or other Urban areas but did you try using MMer's browse function and use the filter for state and Ethnicity?
I've  tried it for your state and there are approx 31 African American  female models  just under NEW. Why don't you contact all(or most) of them directly?

Jul 28 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

CameraSight wrote:

Yes , it may be because of your location... NOT NYC or other Urban areas but did you try using MMer's browse function and use the filter for state and Ethnicity?
I've it for your state and there are approx 31 African American models  just under NEW. Why don't you contact all(or most) of them directly?

Thanks!

Jul 28 06 08:23 am Link

Model

Krystin

Friendly, Maryland, US

You don't live in a good area 2 find either group. I would suggest you make a trip to more suitable location.

Jul 28 06 08:23 am Link

Model

hot topic

Longmont, Colorado, US

I find that to be very bizzare. There are a ton of African American models on MM   that appear to be looking for paid work or just wanting to expand there port.

I know because i'm one of them. I'm always looking for the opportunity to meet new photographers and show them what i can do. I would agree with CameraSight do a detailed search for these models. We are out there.

Jul 28 06 08:29 am Link

Model

JenelleAmber

There are very willing models who fit your casting that are professional & very dependable to work with....like myself and sooo many more...Just expand upon your resources.

~Jenelle~

Jul 28 06 08:35 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

That's pretty much the gist of it.  I have tried, repeatedly, to find Asian and African American models for shoots, with no success.  Casting calls get no responses--or very little, and the very few times I have discussed a shoot with a model or booked a shoot, the model flaked. 

Don't get me wrong:  in no way am I insinuating that Asian and African models are all flakes.  I have just endeavored, for some time now, to work with Asian and African American models, without success.  For example, over the last few days, I have made repeated announcements on MM asking for responses from Asian and African American models--no responses.

There are, of course, many factors, including distances, pay, and so on, but I would love to work with some good Asian and African American models, and I'm coming up goose eggs! smile  Any suggestions?

Well I personally agree with what others have said you are not in a general area where those models populate....but if theres a will theres a way! I agree that contacting all the models in the ethnicity that you are looking for in your area will help, all of them cant possibly flake, but have you ever thought of traveling to the models that you want to work with or at least have them come to you, Im sure that there are plenty of models that would be glad to travel to you if you are willing to provide transportation! Also you mentioned that you have posted casting calls on the forum with no response, that would probably be because it is kinda hard to find a casting call in your area let alone somewhere else that you are interested in, in the forum mainly because the castings come so fast and there isnt a search function in the casting calls that you can go by state so going through every last page of the casting calls can get teadeaous (dont think I spelled that right oh well its early) so dont get discouraged by that!

Good luck with your search and (shameless plug smile) if you would ever like to work with me I will be glad to travel to you, always willing to get outta VA! LOL

Jul 28 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

you live in Indiana !

Jul 28 06 10:05 am Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

hot topic wrote:
I find that to be very bizzare. There are a ton of African American models on MM   that appear to be looking for paid work or just wanting to expand there port.

I know because i'm one of them. I'm always looking for the opportunity to meet new photographers and show them what i can do. I would agree with CameraSight do a detailed search for these models. We are out there.

co-sign

Jul 28 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

The problem lies somewhere with you. (attitude, presentation, ability, professionalism, etc.)

There are dependable models or all races everywhere. The ratio of models in a location is unimportant. If you can't find them, you are doing something wrong. For instance, there are a ton of agencies catering to client needs. Doesn't sound or look like you are working with them. Also I'm curious as to who you are casting for or do you mean that you are offering to pay models?

Lastly, you're only a state away from me. Although we might be hundreds of miles away but I shoot girls from all over. OH, NY, FL, CA, MI, TX, AL, etc. And that's just the US girls.

Don't blame it on the models, take a closer look at what you're not doing. Not to say that all models are dependable but in my book, those that you refer to are not actual models.

Jul 28 06 11:36 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It just seems strange because even if there aren't as many Afircan Americans in your area, there are  so many in some of the surrounding states in the midwest. For instance I'm from Detroit, and that is SATURATED with black people. Places like Chicago and St. Louis would be good too. But most African Americans that I know of that live in Indiana live in Gary.

Jul 28 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Fred Brown wrote:
The problem lies somewhere with you. (presentation, ability, professionalism, etc.)

There are dependable models or all races everywhere. The ratio of models in a location is unimportant. If you can't find them, you are doing something wrong.

Sure am glad you are not my doctor.  Your "diagnosis" says more about you than me, my friend!  Gosh, I didn't know, after all these years, that I am unprofessional, lack presentation skills, and have no ability.  Thank you for your infinite wisdom!

Jul 28 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sure am glad you are not my doctor.  Your "diagnosis" says more about you than me, my friend!  Gosh, I didn't know, after all these years, that I am unprofessional, lack presentation skills, and have no ability.  Thank you for your infinite wisdom!

I agree with you, it is good that I'm not your doctor because you wouldn't see the help that I am offering you and you would stay sick. - lol I never said you weren't any of those things. Listen with the intent of hearing, my friend! smile

Jul 28 06 11:47 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Hmmm. . .me thinks it has to do wit location mon.  Ow many Asian an Africaaaan Americaans do dere be in Indiana?

Seriously. . .we are all around you.  Perhaps you're seeking a particular looking Asian or African American model?

Jul 28 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Fred Brown wrote:

I agree with you, it is good that I'm not your doctor because you wouldn't see the help that I am offering you and you would stay sick. - lol I never said you weren't any of those things. Listen with the intent of hearing, my friend! smile

"The problem lies somewhere with you. (presentation, ability, professionalism, etc.)"
"I never said you weren't any of those things."

Hmmmm

Jul 28 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Many photographers have the creative part in hand but miss how to market
their talents and also how to get the look and type of models they want. 
For example this photographer seems to be able to get White models but he
wants to expand to minorities and by the way thats cool.  The question is
how?  Because their may be limited minorities in his area he may have to look
at areas like Gary as one model suggested or he might try advertising in a local
newspaper.  I'm sure that there are lots of models who would like to shoot
with him if they only knew he was available.  I often think though that just saying
someone should look at themselves is pointless.  It may be true but lets offer
real help as in ideals just being critical mostly leads to nothing and the problem
still exists.  P.S. If you are shooting agency models think back to a time you
weren't.

Jul 28 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

I have never had a problem.  It might be the area you are in, or the person you are, I dont know you so I cant say.  It also might be the way you shoot.  People can be picky.  If its your quest, then just keep at it.

If it means anything, I cant seem to shoot white models.  Since I have been on here, only 3 have contacted me, and I havent made a trip to Los Angeles to shoot them yet.  I have contacted between 10-15 and none of them have writen back... message read

Jul 28 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

You could move to New York City or L.A. or Chicago or Gary, Indiana. *jokes*

Jul 28 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
you live in Indiana !

LOL! My thought exactly!  Come to Cali, there are plenty of both here!

Jul 28 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

I guess I am lucky...
tongue

Jul 28 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Perry Photography

Placentia, California, US

It's the location thats it thats all. You can roll into Gary ( bring yo heat) and have a good time lol. Hell I got fam down there need to go myself.

Jul 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

This is a bunch of mularkey!  That's all I get (Black models) and it is the quite reverse for me!  I can't find White models that are willing to shoot with me and that are "quality" as you put it.  The black models all show up and I have had very little problem over the years with flakes, but White models?  Wow, that is truly another story.  Let me tell you, if you are a White model and you make an appointment with me, you can expect the Grim Reeper to show up at your door step hours before the shoot or car trouble or accidents or a whole miriade of unfortunate events that are going effect you.  I guess if I were a White model, I'd stay away from me, too!  (Tongue firming implanted in cheek!)  Two flakes in the last two weeks and they just happen to be non-Black.  That's not counting over the years, those who are very late, no-shows and just hard to contact.  Oh, I've had my fill of Black models doing that, but I guess it hasn't happened lately and definitely not to the extent of White models.   I just don't understand why, but, what can you do except keep shooting those who are willing.

Jul 28 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

CameraSight wrote:
I've  tried it for your state and there are approx 31 African American  female models  just under NEW. Why don't you contact all(or most) of them directly?

Ditto

This sounds familiar, so what I’m seeing is others are saying Indiana does not have large enough ethnic groups to support the search for those specific models as a larger metropolis.

Jul 28 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Or you can go to your local agencies (sorry I don't know any in your area).  Those will be pre-selected models (not random aspirants) who will show up on time, and are professional.  The rate can be high, but a very high percent of them know what they are doing.

Jul 28 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

maybe in indiana.  i've lived in seattle, la, and now ny, and asian models are abundant (and reliable, so far).  haven't worked with many black models, but those with whom i have worked were reliable.

Jul 28 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

DAntony

Pasadena, California, US

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION !!!! Fly out to California or Florida. Plenty !

Jul 28 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Sharron P

Brooklyn, New York, US

You should also try putting what you're currently casting for on your profile, in case Black or Asian models happen to come across you while browsing.

Jul 28 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

He's right. I don't think that he's stereotyping, but I haven't had any flakes. Never had, but I have had it from both black and Asian models who have contacted me to shoot and we talk, suppose to setup to meet and don't hear anything from them ever again.

I'm African American, this is not a white man complaining. But I also don't get discourage by it. I just move on to the next and don't look back. But I also got this from a white woman on here too. Kept wanting to shoot, but didn't want to meet to go over outfits that I need for the shoot. Her excuse, I don't have time, I shoot fast. I told her nevermind and goodluck. Shoot that fast talk to someone else. I don't give damn if it's me calling you, but when you are emailing me to shoot and we are on the same page, let's stay on it. I don't need people pulling a Whoudini on me and 3 weeks later I'm getting a call. I had that happen to me.

Jul 28 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

My net is wide here in Texas.  I work with models from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Oklahoma city.  Some places at least 4 hours away.  These are large metro areas with lots of minority models, but you still may have to go out of your area to find some.  You are at least in the net to find models in Indianapolis, Chicago, Gary, and lots more places.  Maybe you just aren't looking hard enough or maybe you are selling what they don't want.

Jul 28 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

My port has been dominated by Asians for the reason that they have been the MOST reliable/dependable.

Jul 28 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Many photographers have the creative part in hand but miss how to market
their talents and also how to get the look and type of models they want. 
For example this photographer seems to be able to get White models but he
wants to expand to minorities and by the way thats cool.  The question is
how?  Because their may be limited minorities in his area he may have to look
at areas like Gary as one model suggested or he might try advertising in a local
newspaper.  I'm sure that there are lots of models who would like to shoot
with him if they only knew he was available.  I often think though that just saying
someone should look at themselves is pointless.  It may be true but lets offer
real help as in ideals just being critical mostly leads to nothing and the problem
still exists.  P.S. If you are shooting agency models think back to a time you
weren't.

Something else that has to be taken into consideration here too. He has to look at the type of personality that he's dealing with. This is why I had addressed white on the list too. There have been plenty of photographers who have addressed white models doing a no show. As a matter of fact, it happens more often with white women that it does with black and Asian. It's obvious because many have posted complaints time and time again on these forums. They now have a blacklist on who not photograph.

Jul 28 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

DigitalCMH wrote:

My port has been dominated by Asians for the reason that they have been the MOST reliable/dependable.

My port is diverse with Asian, African American, white and Hispanic.

Jul 28 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

ASTERCHILD

San Diego, California, US

Yeah, you're over in Indiana and I'm over in San Diego,CA. Do you compensate for the model to travel there or would you be more willing to come to CA? I know I usually look for gigs in California and not another state. Also, maybe they feel like they don't meet your requirements. There could be numerous factors. Like a lot of people are saying, location is the key.

Jul 28 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

Nic B

New York, New York, US

I'd say that you'd either have to move or make it clear that you're willing to pay for transportation.

Jul 28 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm way in south Texas and I'm finding it hard to find models.  I planned to
travel to New York which would have been this month.  Although I heard from
plenty of models many weren't what I wanted and those I did like were very
slow to respond to emails or phone calls.  New York isn't close or cheap. I
planned to pay but even many of those responded slow or not at all.  I
wouldn't want to make a trip that far for that kind of stuff.  Location is a part
of the puzzle.  Paying models to come to me isn't out of the question but I'd
rather see what I'm getting then offer someone cash only to be disapointed.
I thought you said you looked like Janet Jackson not Freddie Jackson.

Jul 28 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm way in south Texas and I'm finding it hard to find models.  I planned to
travel to New York which would have been this month.  Although I heard from
plenty of models many weren't what I wanted and those I did like were very
slow to respond to emails or phone calls.  New York isn't close or cheap. I
planned to pay but even many of those responded slow or not at all.  I
wouldn't want to make a trip that far for that kind of stuff.  Location is a part
of the puzzle.  Paying models to come to me isn't out of the question but I'd
rather see what I'm getting then offer someone cash only to be disapointed.
I thought you said you looked like Janet Jackson not Freddie Jackson.

That's funny. But that is another thing that the photographer has to take it into consideration. The type of model that you are looking for. Take multiple things into consideration and not just one.

your style, the model type, personalities, this is very important it can make or break your assignments. So far my expereince has been a good one I have people coming to me wanting to work and vice versa, but it doesn't always means that it's going to be 100%.

Like I have addressed in previous postings, I prevent from getting hit by flakes by seeing how things are going to go in advance. One way is to see if they are going to meet with you, if they don't and don't call you back, or you don't hear anything from them for about a week, then that is a sign of don't bother. It helps because it keeps you from getting discouraged.

Jul 28 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

- V s c h e m e -

Brooklyn, New York, US

Maybe it's because your port doesn't display enough diversity for either group to wanna participate. Their probably thinking, what does this "white person" have to offer that would make me want to work with them. People feel more comfortable working along with folks whom they can see themselves within their work that is displayed. Like if your entire port is filled with only nudity, a person may be reluctant to reply to your AD seeking clothed models, because what creditability as a photographer do you have for clothed subjects? Your photos have kind of a "redneck or hillbilly theme" to them, which may not interest a "non-white person"? That’s all, later MM folks!

S.D.

Jul 28 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I am fortunate to live in ethically diverse Houston.

In my experience, reliability or lack thereof is not racially specific. I have experienced flakes and reliable models of all skin colors.

As others have said, your location may be a factor.

Also, don't rely too much on casting calls, which I myself have found to be of limited effectiveness, especially for TFCD.

Browsing and contacting is more productive. Simple enter your ZIP code and the distance you are willing to travel, and sort by last actvity, which puts the most MM-active models to the front.

Jul 28 06 02:10 pm Link