Forums > General Industry > How To Spot A GWC

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

So I was wondering, what are some tale-tale signs that you have encountered a GWC. The truth is, they are out there. I dont know where they come from. maybe some top-secret underground lab in Detroit, I dont know. But they are out there. And so, in an effort to educate less-experienced models and give everyone an idea of what to look out for, lets build this thread: How to Spot a GWC...

I'll go first:

If you show up to a shoot and the guy has 10 diposable camera's (all with a flash and neatly organized on the table, no doubt) then you might be working with a GWC.

Jul 24 06 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Well, if I brought less than 10 disposable cameras I wouldn't have enough back-ups.

Jul 24 06 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

If he wants to pay up front, he may well be a GWC (or he spends too much time with hookers).

Jul 24 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

CapturedImage wrote:
If he wants to pay up front, he may well be a GWC (or he spends too much time with hookers).

Excellent!

Jul 24 06 05:38 am Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Final image is all that counts, who cares how you got there !? I would be intrigued by a Photog w 1o disposables ready to go.

Jul 24 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

yeah but we're not talking about final images. they may very well be fantastic but...we are talking about that first meeting / networking. Any indications that you may be encountering the famed GWC.

Jul 24 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

if he starts threads on how to spot GWCs...

Jul 24 06 06:00 am Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Whay are we not? The industry has been built by innovators, it's an art form. And again it's about the final image. One of the most amazing landscape photogs shoots with a wooden box camera that he built! A gwc that cost 5,000 can give you the world's greatest 1st impression but what if the pics look just like the disposable cameras due to his shooting style? Is he just better because he made a good camera shoot low quality pics?

Jul 24 06 06:04 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS wrote:
Final image is all that counts, who cares how you got there !? I would be intrigued by a Photog w 1o disposables ready to go.

I agree. I recently shot at the same location with a fellow photographer who said, "I thought you were gonna show me something today." It was like he got smacked in the face with an anvil when he saw the images from the shoot.

I've had models tell me that they've been on shoots when a dude pulled the camera out his pocket. I was like, hell nah!!! When they told the camera came from his pocket, I could see the artifacts of a less expensive camera, but the shots were great never-the-less.

Jul 24 06 06:05 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Good thing you're leaving, you no longer have to deal with "The Amatuer Photographer"? It's a damn shame that some people think they started as king of the hill.

Jul 24 06 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour1 Studio

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Did anyone say . . . . " Cheeze "  ? ? ?

Jul 24 06 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

is anyone sad to see Dougie Boy leave MM? Is anyone going to miss him? Why did he have to make an anouncement on his page that he is leaving? Did he want us to beg him not to go? Does any REALLY care?

Bye Doogie, and by the way...go f*ck yourself.

Jul 24 06 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS wrote:
Whay are we not? The industry has been built by innovators, it's an art form. And again it's about the final image. One of the most amazing landscape photogs shoots with a wooden box camera that he built! A gwc that cost 5,000 can give you the world's greatest 1st impression but what if the pics look just like the disposable cameras due to his shooting style? Is he just better because he made a good camera shoot low quality pics?

ok, since you put it like that I can agree also. I see what you are saying. Good point.

Jul 24 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Kenneth Velazquez - MGP

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Usually, for some strange reason but not all of the time, when Models show up and they see me wearing a short "If Bush was really good for this Country, you would show me yours" T-shirt, Spandex Shorts, drinking a 40oz Colt 45 Beer, while I am loading up my Polaroid I-Zone with a fresh roll of stickers in my Bedroom Studio with Rick James' Give It To Me blasting in the background, they get apprehensive.  Go figure...

To alleviate that initial awkwardness, I now sport a long loose fitting "Show Me Your Boobs" T-shirt over my Spandex Shorts, I keep my 40oz Beer wrapped in a Brown Paper Bag, and I have my I-Zone already pre-loaded before they get to my Bedroom Studio (more Professional like), and I have PIMP by 50 Cent playing in the background.  The attitudes are getting a little better now.  Just a little.  I think I have to find a reputable dealer who sells a better quality sticker, something a little more upscale and CLASSY like.  Can anyone help?

Jul 24 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MGP PRODUCTIONS

Was there a point you had to add or not?

Jul 24 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

bzckry foto wrote:
If you show up to a shoot and the guy has 10 diposable camera's (all with a flash and neatly organized on the table, no doubt) then you might be working with a GWC.

A good photographer can take a great picture with ANY camera. Isn't this topic dead beyond dead?

Jul 24 06 06:41 am Link

Jul 24 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

Brandon Ching wrote:
How to spot a fake
How to spot a GWC or fake Model.
How to Spot a real Photographer

hey thanks Ching, you are all on it.

Jul 24 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Liquid Warehouse

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I get some really bad comments at work sometimes, I'll say i'm gonna do a shoot and all I get is "Is she gonna be naked, she gonna get her tits out?" really pisses me off and puts me off doing a sexier underware shoot or a nude shoot even though i've been offers and i've turned them down because I don't want to be considered a GWC. Guess i'm kind of nervous about doing my first one too.

Jul 24 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

CantikFotos

Any of you here ever seen work by David Bailey? Or the ads he did for Olympus back in the 1970s and 80s? Bwahahaha!

http://www.uktvadverts.com/Media/video/olympus1.ram

Scene: Two wedding photographers (David Bailey and Phil Daniels) stand next to each other.

Phil (with large camera on tripod): Right, come on, smile everybody please .... smile! (Turns to David who is using a small, hand-held camera): Waste of time if you haven't taken a light-reading!

David: That's all right — this Olympus Trip is completely automatic — it works out the light and you just click the shutter!

Phil: Ah, it's OK for snaps, but just you try my job ... see the trouble with those small cameras is the lens....

David: No problem — it's a Seko lens — they use it on the Olympus OM — one of the best cameras in the world!

Phil: I s'pose it's OK for you boys but you wouldn't get a professional using one!

Onlooker: D'you know who that is?

Phil: No.

Onlooker: David Bailey!

Phil: David Bailey? Who's 'e?

Voiceover: The Olympus Trip — so simple anyone can use it!

More about Bailey here:

http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/bailey/

Jul 24 06 07:31 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

bzckry foto wrote:
So I was wondering, what are some tale-tale signs that you have encountered a GWC. The truth is, they are out there. I dont know where they come from. maybe some top-secret underground lab in Detroit, I dont know. But they are out there. And so, in an effort to educate less-experienced models and give everyone an idea of what to look out for, lets build this thread: How to Spot a GWC...

You're scheduled to do a nude shoot (that of course he readily agreed to any price you named) and when you show up, HE'S the one who's naked!

Jul 24 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

One of the SI photographers uses disposable cameras. smile

Jul 24 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Mangano Photography

Fresno, California, US

If his portfolio is 100% young women in lingerie.  No clothed shots and no male models..... CGLIMBWC = Creepy Guy Living in Mom's Basement With CAmera

Jul 24 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bryan Patrick Coleman wrote:
One of the SI photographers uses disposable cameras. smile

Must be really popular since my grocery store never seems to keep the disposables with 600mm lenses in stock!

Jul 24 06 07:57 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

MM#12835

You can spot GWC here

Jul 24 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

You can find them at any of those nude glamour workshops that you pay $150 for.
It always ends up being just a bunch of guys with hard-ons who happen to own a camera and have $150 to throw away.

Jul 24 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I heard that they have formed a secret club with decoder rings and passwords and they know who their members are because they all use the code word "foto" in names and logos and stuff. But this is just some stuff i heard somewhere, probably nothing to it.  smile

Jul 24 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

They use a small AM transistor radio for a light meter. *Hoping no one notices the difference!

Jul 24 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Aesthete Studios wrote:
Well, if I brought less than 10 disposable cameras I wouldn't have enough back-ups.

I shot with a disposable camera last night,
A sweet little Kodak,
Picked it up at the CVS for 7.99,
Had a flash and all.

But I feel the need to mention I also shot with a.... Holga, Toyo 810G, Voightlander Bessa R, Fuji GS645W and a Canon Reble XT, Sadly I accidentally left my pinhole camera at home.
It was a multi camera kind of day.
(I mention lots of gear so I can use trash cameras and avoid being tagged a GWC)

Jul 24 06 08:12 am Link

Model

Dreambutterfly

Hollywood, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

LOL OMG thanks for making me laugh Doug. I needed that. LOL

Jul 24 06 08:13 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

Cary K wrote:

You're scheduled to do a nude shoot (that of course he readily agreed to any price you named) and when you show up, HE'S the one who's naked!

LOL.. I have experienced that too.  Another way to spot a GWC is if he asks you if you would like to be in a threesome with him and his girlfriend. His girlfriend is fine with it, of course. Another was to tell a GWC is someone who NEVER wants a chaperone around.. especially to nude shoots. I mean, seriously, chaperones are there to protect both the model and the photographer (They need to be unintrusive, I know..so please don't go on a tangent about this)

I have basically halted the GWC experiences by going to a meet and greet first. You can usually get a feel for someone at that point and deicide whether or not you want to work with them. Photographers enjoy this too because they get a chance to know the model before the camera starts clicking.

Jul 24 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

They have self portrait that makes them look like they the just won a Keith Flint look alike contest (apologies to Bill Tracy =P  ) . Most of you dont even remember who Keith Flint is sad  . I bet most of you will have to use google to figure it out  sad

Bill Tracy wrote:
You can find them at any of those nude glamour workshops that you pay $150 for.
It always ends up being just a bunch of guys with hard-ons who happen to own a camera and have $150 to throw away.

I know a few models who used to do those workshops. Most of the "photographers" who show ups are quite creepy.

Jul 24 06 08:25 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

He says he needs to finish getting ready for the shoot and proceeds to start downing jello shots? Not so bad if he at least offers to share. LOL

Jul 24 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Stephen Bodi wrote:
They have self portrait that makes them look like they the just won a Keith Flint look alike contest (apologies to Bill Tracy =P  ) . Most of you dont even remember who Keith Flint is sad  . I bet most of you will have to use google to figure it out  sad

I know a few models who used to do those workshops. Most of the "photographers" who show ups are quite creepy.

LOL!

I look like Keith Flint? COOL!!  I'll have to go out and "start some fires" - LOL!

Jul 24 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
MM#12835

You can spot GWC here

I looked at his profile.  You got me.  I should have known better.

Jul 24 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS wrote:

Agreed--if a photog has a great eye, he/she can take a great shot using a disposable camera from Wal-Mart...

lighten up, folks...

Jul 24 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DJ wrote:
Did anyone say . . . . " Cheeze "  ? ? ?

Someone called???

Jul 24 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Irvington, New Jersey, US

bzckry foto wrote:
is anyone sad to see Dougie Boy leave MM? Is anyone going to miss him? Why did he have to make an anouncement on his page that he is leaving? Did he want us to beg him not to go? Does any REALLY care?

Bye Doogie, and by the way...go f*ck yourself.

I agree with that, cuz doug is an a$$hole he, always arguing with peoplefor unessecary reasons...

Jul 24 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

If his portfolio  consists of nothing but shots that could be titled, "Look-I got a woman to take her clothes off for me. Maybe two. And they're really young and making pouty faces. And if I really got lucky, they touched or kissed." And that's the sum total of what the picture is about. Yawn.

Jul 24 06 10:24 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

They shoot nothing but "first time" models?

Jul 24 06 10:30 am Link