Forums > General Industry > Advice From Female Models...

Photographer

- null -

As a flaming heterosexual fella, I have no idea what women find attractive in male models.

So, I figured I'd ask.

Girls, what kind of photos of guys do you find sexy? What do you think is appealing and alluring? What do you think is cheesy or corny or stupid and makes you laugh at the poor schmuck?

Are the shirtless-shots laughable? Do you like the tuxedo images? Is the laughing-on-the-beach shot something you think is cute? Does none of it matter as long as you personally think the guy is hot (so if he had a dead fetus on his shoulder, you'd still think he was sexy)?

I'm just terribly curious. I know what I might THINK women might find sexy in a male-image. But I'd rather have you come right out and tell me instead of having to guess.

Jul 16 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

What do we find sexy in men? It's as difficult as asking all men, what they find sexy in women.

I like tall, thin boys with long hair. Soccer player type bodies. Pale skin. Full lips. Long lashes. Someone you could see writing a poem on the shore by moonlight.

My best friend is attracted to 6'6"+/- military type men. Not even military men.. but very built, "manly men" as she calls them. Shaved heads/ A rough demeanor and look. If he ever made it to the beach (even sans moonlight) it would most likely be to catch and butcher the biggest fish possible or chug 80 bottles of beer and leave them laying on the beach.

So I would like a photo in B&W, a little unfocused with hair falling into "my" guys eyes as he stares INTO me through the camera.

My friend would like a picture of a dirty guy in a dirty, torn wifebeater leaning against    a pile of logs on a construction site... beer in hand.

I see that you are a photographer.. so if what you aee doing is trying to put together a protfolio of male models - and are a little unsure as to what you should be shooting.. honestly, asking women? While it might be a good starting point.... just might not be the place for you to get the most professional and useful opinions.

The best way, IMHO, is to look at the top agency websites.  (FORD, Boss, NeXt, DNA, IMG, etc..) Many of the agencies will let you look at their models portfolios... sometimes you need a password but I know FORD lets you look at 4 or 5 photographs.*

Now, you know that the photographs you are looking at have been taken by amazing photographers.. approved by the team... (all professional - stylists, MUA, hair, etc.) picked out by a group of agents.... etc.

So you know what you see is what is desireable to more then the average girl walking down the street. smile

Rachel W.

*http://www.fordmodels.com/main.cfm

Jul 16 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

hahahhahahahaha! ERIC!!! I feel silly I had no idea I was reading, and replying, to you! lol

Jul 16 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

RachelCWhittemore wrote:
hahahhahahahaha! ERIC!!! I feel silly I had no idea I was reading, and replying, to you! lol

Models.

(rolls eyes)

tongue

Jul 16 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

mmmm long..lean..tan...nice jaw line..heavy brown..

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/Youngyoshi3989/brothers1.jpg

i can't remember his MM number..but hes hella hot.

Jul 16 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

see...case in point.
He sadly, does nothing for me, whatsoever

nice smile tho

;-)

Jul 16 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Obviously, EVERYONE is different and so are our tastes when it comes to what we like and dislike, male and female. The topic is entirely subjective. I know that.

To clarify, my original post was knowingly a query of generalizations. I was simply wondering if there were styles of male-images that a large percentage of women always hated or loved.

Perhaps the answer is, "No."

After all, women are fickle.

For example, I know a woman who HATES flip-flops on men. She thinks they are stupid and weird and silly and lame on guys ... And that's all her boyfriend ever wears.

Chicks are weird.

Jul 16 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Keeper

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

I hate:

Topless shots when the guy is hairless.
Too many muscles/not enough muscles.
Whitey Tighties.
Speedos.
Tight pants.
Any sort of crotch-focused shot.

Guys enjoy looking at pics of naked women. Most women I know generally don't like looking at pics of naked men. I think men are funny looking, and the phallus is hideous, especially errect.

I like any picture where the guy looks sincere.

~Keeper

Jul 16 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Keeper wrote:
I hate:

Whitey Tighties.
Speedos.
Tight pants.

Guys enjoy looking at pics of naked women. Most women I know generally don't like looking at pics of naked men. I think men are funny looking, and the phallus is hideous, especially errect.

I like any picture where the guy looks sincere.

THANK YOU! That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Good generalizations. Excellent.

(Although I don't like to see photos of one either, I'd advise that if you are heterosexual, NOT to tell your lovers that the "phallus is hideous, especially erect." That will be a FAST way to lose a lot of boyfriends.)

Jul 16 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A picture is worth a million words or some jazz like that so :

https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Isysent/al-pacino-mugshot.jpg

https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Isysent/Carnell20Williams_5678.jpg

https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Isysent/images.jpg

https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Isysent/spock.jpg

smile

Jul 16 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

oops....

Jul 16 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

hm.
i love topless shots--but only if the guy is hairless. i just do not find body hair attractive. and they must have well defined muscles.
i love a nicely cut suit.
a nice smile makes me smile smile
i like close-ups with smoldering eyes and full lips.
i don't like crotch shots often......but i have to disagree with the previous poster--i think an erect "phallus" can be just gorgeous....
i absolutely love twisted, digital art images......but if we're talking sexy, i think it does more for me to see a simple, clean, honest image.....

Jul 16 06 08:58 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmm, I'd much rather see a man in an artistic pose, like say with body paint. Nothing below the waistline... thats just not attractive. The paint would only work on a man with pale skin, hairless body and a swimmer's build.... long dark hair would be great too. Light eyes to bring out the colour of the body paint and dark hair.

I'm basically attracted to the images of artistic goth/alternative men.

Jul 16 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmm, I'd much rather see a man in an artistic pose, like say with body paint. Keeping below the waistline covered of course... thats just not attractive. The paint would only work on a man with pale skin, hairless body and a swimmer's build.... long dark hair would be great too. Light eyes to bring out the colour of the body paint and dark hair.

Jul 16 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmm, I'd much rather see a man in an artistic pose, like say with body paint. Keeping below the waistline covered of course... thats just not attractive. The paint would only work on a man with pale skin, hairless body and a swimmer's build.... long dark hair would be great too. Light eyes to bring out the colour of the body paint and dark hair.

Jul 16 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Pictures of guys aren't sexy. Pictures of guys trying realy hard to look sexy are laughable. The dead fetus on his shoulder only makes it funnier.

Ask the gay man magic 8 ball for better answers.

Jul 16 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

theda wrote:
Pictures of guys aren't sexy. Pictures of guys trying realy hard to look sexy are laughable. The dead fetus on his shoulder only makes it funnier.

Ask the gay man magic 8 ball for better answers.

A great question by the OP.  I like shooting male models and it's good to know what women look for in those shots.

Theda:  Dead fetus on the shoulder?  What's that all about?

Jul 16 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I hate:

Whitey Tighties.
Speedos.
Tight pants.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the thread parent is seeking the opinions of "heterosexual" women.

Jul 16 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Black Ricco wrote:
I hate:

Whitey Tighties.
Speedos.
Tight pants.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the thread parent is seeking the opinions of "heterosexual" women.

LMAO!!

Jul 16 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

delicatelybold

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

think 90's calvin klein ads with Kate Moss....

Jul 16 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Black Ricco wrote:

Her responce is pretty typical among heterosexual women.  Women typically don't have much interest in looking at men. Straight or lesbian, they still look at other women rather than men.

Jul 16 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Her responce is pretty typical among heterosexual women.  Women typically don't have much interest in looking at men. Straight or lesbian, they still look at other women rather than men.

LOL Yeah, and I'm sure most heterosexual women also find an erect penis to be hideous.

Why is there so much sexual and gender confusion in places like New Yawk and El Lay?

Is it the water?

Jul 16 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

theda wrote:

Really?  That's so odd and interesting to me.  Men are great. 

E|||B wrote:
Girls, what kind of photos of guys do you find sexy? What do you think is appealing and alluring? What do you think is cheesy or corny or stupid and makes you laugh at the poor schmuck?

I'm with the Phoenix: lack of chest hair is a wonderful thing.  Short hair (or bald) beats long.  Good tattoos are fantastic.  Dark skin is lovely.  Subtlety is good.  I often find that what a male photographer thinks is a sexy image of a man is not very appealing to me.  I really don't like images with lots of crack, for example, but it's everywhere.

Most importantly: there are exceptions to every rule.

Some examples of male photography that I personally think rule:

"Coiled" by Sita Mae Edwards, featuring Sebastian:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4474b45422ea0

"Cool Ken" by Bruce Talbot:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=447ebd3852cf7

"Scorpio" by Tim Ricks:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=43fdbc5c5d626

"Cowboy's Thoughts" by Ravens Laughter, featuring Joey G:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=43b3b81b1c47e

"Jerrin" by Andre DeLoach, featuring Jerrin Holt:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=448b10d1d4a85

Etcetera.

Jul 16 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Black Ricco wrote:
LOL Yeah, and I'm sure most heterosexual women also find an erect penis to be hideous.

Why is there so much sexual and gender confusion in places like New Yawk and El Lay?

Is it the water?

If not hiddeous, at least not terribly visually appealing.  It's not NY or LA. It's generations of social conditioning coupled with the natural difference between the way men and women select their mates. 

God bless sociology and social psychology.

Jul 16 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

theda wrote:
Her responce is pretty typical among heterosexual women.

Oh. My. God.

"responce?"

theda made a typo!?

Time to get some photos of flying pigs.

Jul 16 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

E|||B wrote:

Oh. My. God.

"responce?"

theda made a typo!?

Time to get some photos of flying pigs.

theda is the queen of typos and misspellings and don't you forget it.

Jul 16 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

God bless sociology.

No, fuck sociology! Sociology 101 is what caused everyone to be so confused in the first place. Academic sociology does nothing more than gratuitously condemn and apologize for normal, and primal, human behavior.

Jul 16 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Black Ricco wrote:
God bless sociology.

No, fuck sociology! Sociology 101 is what caused everyone to be so confused in the first place. Academic sociology does nothing more than gratuitously condemn and apologize for normal, and primal, human behavior.

okay. fine. lernin' is for losers!

Jul 16 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Really?  That's so odd and interesting to me.  Men are great. 

Thank you. In a time when all the kicking and screaming maladjusted fruitcakes are getting all the attention it's nice to see an ocassional voice of sanity ring in once in a while.

Jul 16 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

okay. fine. lernin' is for losers!

No, "lernin'" is NOT for losers...

bullshit, passed off as fact, is a loser.

Jul 16 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

It's been nice sparing with you, Theda, but I have to call it a night. Big 12 hour day plus  tomorrow, plus the fact that it's Monday.... AAAUUURRRGHHH!

You have a good evening. I'm sure we'll cross swords again. wink

Jul 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Black Ricco wrote:
It's been nice sparing with you, Theda, but I have to call it a night.

!?

THAT was "sparing" with theda!?

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "He don't know you very well, do he?"

Jul 16 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Keeper wrote:
a)    Too many muscles/not enough muscles.

b)  Speedos.
Tight pants.

c) ,,,,, men are funny looking, and the phallus is hideous, especially errect. .. .
~Keeper

wow
well a) means nothing much
B) is clear, though I wouldn't necessarily agrees with ya
c) I absolutely dont agree with you -
although a therapist might be kept QUITE busy!

I guess it really depends on the guy though (I'm assumig hes cute i some way)
:-P
and its depends on the girl!

Jul 17 06 12:06 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

He must have full lips, good teeth, and a nice jawline. Well defined muscles, but not bulky.

There are far too many nearly lipless men out there. That's a deal-breaker. That and big hips--so wrong on a man.

Jul 17 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

He must have full lips, good teeth, and a nice jawline.

Ditto for women. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, if a woman has those three things going for her everything else is negotiable.

Jul 17 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Girls, what kind of photos of guys do you find sexy?  What do you think is appealing and alluring?

Nice lighting/shadows on toned muscles.  Open shirt is fine as long as the guy isn't terribly hairy.  (Hairless and gleaming is perferred for photos, if that's what the focus is going to be.)  I tend to find men who are somewhat built but still slender the most attractive.  Too much muscle is a turn off.  But I imagine there are tons of women (and men!) into that.

What do you think is cheesy or corny or stupid and makes you laugh at the poor schmuck?

My #1 male model pet peeve: pubes and/or the top of the unit showing, with pants/boxers/whatever pulled down as far as possible without being completely, overtly indecent.  If you wanna do nudes, just do nudes... but showing pubes without anything else is just tacky and (at least to me) completely unattractive.  (Not that I particularly enjoy seeing men's junk in photos either, LOL.)  If you just want to show some hipbone, you can do that without dropping your pants halfway to your ankles.  Guys are built like that.  (And by "you", I mean the generic you, not any one person in particular.)

Shirtless shots: fine.
Tuxedo shots: (in a full suit?) fine.
Laughing at the beach: if the lighting is good (not too many harsh midday shadows) and the model shows an interest in lifestyle editorial, sure.

I like tall, thin boys with long hair. Soccer player type bodies. Pale skin. Full lips. Long lashes. Someone you could see writing a poem on the shore by moonlight.

Mmm, yes, I'll have some of that, too.  Haha. smile

My favorite actor (/model?) right now is Cillian Murphy, purely for his chisled facial features and gorgeous eyes.  I could see a photo of him, 2 days unshaven, lounging on the couch, and still probably find it hot.

Guys enjoy looking at pics of naked women. Most women I know generally don't like looking at pics of naked men.

That's how I generally see things, too.  From a woman's point of view, I think photos of men are most interesting if they portray some sort of character or story.  Something we can fantasize/daydream about.  A staight up photo of a penis?  Well, there's not a whole lot to it to really wonder about, you know?  And yeah, like she said, I find naked women much more aesthetically pleasing to look at than naked men --UNLESS-- any nudity is implied (but no pubes!! gah, I hate that) and the lighting is good.  Dramatic figure lighting on a male dancer's body as he goes through a routine, that sort of thing.

I *wish* my guy would let me take photos of him sometime.  He's gorgeous... and hates having his photo taken.  He somehow has this unerring ability to sense when I'm about to TRY to sneak in a quick candid shot and does something horribly goofy to ruin the mood of what I was trying to capture.

>_

Jul 18 06 05:57 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:
mmmm long..lean..tan...nice jaw line..heavy brown..

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/Youngyoshi3989/brothers1.jpg

i can't remember his MM number..but hes hella hot.

Perfect example of what is sexy in a man...especially male model. The somewhat rebeliious male model...the kate moss of the male model:

-scruffy
-unkempt
-long, shaggy hair
-seemingly the jsut got out of bed look
-now that's HOTT! (just like my man smile

Jul 18 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

DANIELLE CARDONA

New York, New York, US

The hottest pictures of male models are the ones that are natural, therefore don't look like they're acting, and not too dramatic. Almost candid-so yeah the laughing shot can be cute if it's REAL. ALSO:The fewer props the better, in terms of fashion photography. In terms of shooting specific concepts for editorial...well that can be a bit more tricky, but again can't look too staged. The man must be handsome to my personal liking and I think most women will agree, but if he looks believeable he can be sexy EVEN WITH a dead fetus on his shoulder.

Jul 18 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

Keeper

E|||B wrote:
(Although I don't like to see photos of one either, I'd advise that if you are heterosexual, NOT to tell your lovers that the "phallus is hideous, especially erect." That will be a FAST way to lose a lot of boyfriends.)

Actually it hasn't lost me any boyfriends... The jerks see it as a challenge and the good ones.... well, I ususally adore the phallus of the good ones ;-)

~Keeper

Jul 18 06 07:39 pm Link

Model

Keeper

Black Ricco wrote:

Haha, you saw right through that. I actually do swing both ways with a physical preference for women and an emotional preference for men (it's very trying at times). But I like my girls to look like girls and my guys to look like guys.

The fashion industry is run by who? Gay men. Therefor they decide what is socially and culturally "beautiful." Which, to them, is gay men. So 98% of models, male or female, wind up looking like gay men.

I like my girls soft and cute and curvy, and my guys strong and furry. :-P (I'm absolutely ecstatic that the metrosexual craze is winding down.)

~Keeper

Jul 18 06 07:53 pm Link