Forums > General Industry > HOW to LOOOOOSE 20 pounds FAST!!!!!!!!

Photographer

Pixishots Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

JOEY G. wrote:

Alot of what has been said above is true...but some is misleading and some is plain wrong!!

"Simple sugars to eliminate: sodas, power bars, smoothies, protein shakes.  Cut back on servings of non fibrous fruit.  Keep up with at least three servings per day of fibrous fruit though; apples, pears, raspberries, etc..."

Yes, eliminate simple sugars...but diet sodas are basically fizzy water, if smoothies are made using ice and fresh fruit then they are healthy and use Fructose (fruit sugar) no added refined white sugars...Also, Most Protein shakes and power bars (BUT NOT ALL) are low to no carb and are just what they say, proein suppliments...they use artificial flavourings and sweetners..just chack the packageing...all fruit is good. It is a healthy way of keeping energy levels up and balanced whilst cutting down of complex carbs and fats.

"Lower your choleric intake in general...not below 1500 calories per day because your body will go in to store mode, but lower it down to around 2000 at least while maintaining your workout.  Fastest way to loose weight is to dump energy, and if you're burning 5000 calories in a day but only in-taking 2000 from complex sources like protein and complex carbohydrates, your body will be forced to burn fat to make up the 3000 calorie difference.

You need shock, high speed quick burst workouts...racquet ball, tread mill/exercise bike set to do speed training, basket ball, hockey, or sprint sports at the track.  These should be kept up so that your heart rate stays up during a full 30 minute workout, but you shouldn't extend your workout past that because then you will start building muscle mass and counteracting your problem."

All wrong!! If you wanna lose weight and maintain tone then do the complete opposite to whats been quoted!! i have no idea who told him that advice.

Excersicing to lose weight, build cardio vascular tolerance, build muscle mass & tone muscle mass are totally different ways of excersising! (excuse my spelling..it's real late...)...
You will NOT build bulk and muscle mass by useing weights and resistance machines properly, especially if you are a woman..unless you are taking a lot of steroids. It has been proven that lifting weights is actually MORE effective at weight control/reduction then CV workouts...reasons are...
1. Resistance training, in simplest terms, is a way of stressing muscle to the point of tearing and damaging it...hence the body then repairs the damaged muscle bigger and stronger...because of this process...you are burning calories, not only during the workout, but also during the rebuilding and repair process that can go on for 3 - 5 days depending on the intensity oif a workout! This is also gonna raise your resting metabolic rate which will in turn mean you will burn more calories whilst sleeping then you would normally!
2. Duriing a cardio session (eg..30 mins on a bike) for the first 20-25 mins all you are doing is useing up your excess Creatine levels. Creatine is the power source your body uses for quick burst / power movements (weight training, sprinting, quick burst movements etc...), the result's (or waste) of breaking down creatine as a power source is lactic acid which produces that tight feeling in your muscles (the pump)...so...
3...for weight loss we need to emply the CV (cardio vascular system) or oxygen energy system. It's the oxygen, burning with the calories (carbohydrates) that produces carbon dioxide as a waste...and turns up the heat to also increase metabolic rates...the problem is, we need to first get rid of the creatine before we start burning the oxygen (and carbs) to lose weight. If you jump straight on a bike or follow the excersises recomended by the person quoted, all you are gonna do is get sore, cramped muscles, very sweaty, out of breath and sore joints!! Yes, your heart will be hurting, but thats not what burns calories...
If you run, cycle, etc for 30 mins, the first 20-25 will be burning off the excess creatine and only when thats gone will you begin (for the last 5 mins) burning fat..that means, a 30 min session will probably burn off half a snickers, if you are lucky!!!

this is so complicated and i studies for years to get these qualifications and i am sorry if it's a little confusing...but bare with me.....

OK...i'm gonna try to simplify....

energy systems...

Creatine = strength, speed, power, pace....
Oxygen (using 75-90 max heart rate) = CV, max O2, stamina etc...
Oxygen (using 60-75 max heart rate) = weight lose, calorific burning, thermogenic effect...

To find your max heart rate just take your age from 220 and then do the percentage...eg...

me....220 - (age) 34 = 186.

So my max heart rate should be around 186...

...so for hard Cardio training i should be trying to maintain a heart rate of 140 to 168.
..for max fat burning i should try to maintain a MHR of 112 to 140 bpm...

If you have difficulty measuring then use the formula of...if u can't have a comfortable conversation anymore, then you are working too hard...slow down or reduce the resistance!

..Now, weights...they do NOT make you look like the governor. Unless you have a very high level of testosterone in your body, or are on a lot of steroids..you will only get lean and toned...not big and chunky!! Promise!! Ask anyone who knows!!

..So..to the end os this letter...thing....

The diet thing is most important....no wheat / sugars / and as little dairy as possible! Keep it to non fat milk or low fat cheeses..etc...eggs are good but eat the whites not the yolks!!
Lots of fruit, veg, poultry, fish, outmeal in the morning, and a little fat free ben and jerry's at the weekends.....

Gym...start with 30mins of resistance..weights....do circuites...useing low weights but high (12-20) rep sets...this will get the muscles working, warm up the joints, increase you metabolism and most importantly, burn off the excess Creatine in the body...

...now you hit the CV machines...1 hour a day after a workout...

do three different excersises for 20 mins each (to prevent boredom!!)..now, as soon as you start, you will be burning the right fuel (carbs!!!) keep the Heart rate in the correct area and listen to the ipod whilst you sweat....

Good luck. I hope this makes some sense to you. If you have any questions...contact me directly...you have the address....

And, please, don't listen to what a non qualified person tell you about dieting and weight loss.

p.s. anyone who says this
"NO WEIGHT TRAINING...no lifting weights...you're bulky as is, and you don't need any more muscle mass!!!!"
is obviously stupid as well as blind. You look stunning as you are...I'm offering safe and tested methods, not folklore for achieving your targets safely and efficiantly...

Joseph x

I took a nutrition class, and I must say this is the best answer of all.
However, it is a bit overwhelming especially if you are not disciplined enough.

I personally believe that eating moderately and exercising daily will keep you at steady weight. There are so many "quick diet remedies" and from experience I wouldn't even think of trying another. Trying to lose weight in short period of time will only make you gain twice as much in the long run.

So for beginners who want to become healthy and fit, I think the best thing to remember is "what you take in is what you take out."

Another thing to remember is:

"Eat like a King" for breakfast
"Eat like a king's helper" for lunch
"Eat like a slave" for dinner.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Yet when I say "eat like a king" it doesn't mean go out and get yourself a breakfast value meal at McDonald's or Burger King!  I'm simply saying eat a lot of healthy breakfast foods.

OKAY...I'm getting sleepy now! So, I'm going to take my 2 cents and run! But before I do, I'd have to agree with Joseph G. And if I may add on -- 

If you have too much sugar, carb, starch intake, etc...Yes you will have to "structure your mind and body to a healthier diet. Most Importantly, Discipline yourself to stick to exercise.

P.S. My reply may be late, but I thought this was a great topic!

Take Care & Cheers to healty living!

~Marygrace~

Jul 13 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Sarah Boling

Guthrie, Kentucky, US

Run 5 miles everyday

Jul 13 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Pixishots Photography

JOEY G. wrote:

Alot of what has been said above is true...but some is misleading and some is plain wrong!!

"Simple sugars to eliminate: sodas, power bars, smoothies, protein shakes.  Cut back on servings of non fibrous fruit.  Keep up with at least three servings per day of fibrous fruit though; apples, pears, raspberries, etc..."

Yes, eliminate simple sugars...but diet sodas are basically fizzy water, if smoothies are made using ice and fresh fruit then they are healthy and use Fructose (fruit sugar) no added refined white sugars...Also, Most Protein shakes and power bars (BUT NOT ALL) are low to no carb and are just what they say, proein suppliments...they use artificial flavourings and sweetners..just chack the packageing...all fruit is good. It is a healthy way of keeping energy levels up and balanced whilst cutting down of complex carbs and fats.

"Lower your choleric intake in general...not below 1500 calories per day because your body will go in to store mode, but lower it down to around 2000 at least while maintaining your workout.  Fastest way to loose weight is to dump energy, and if you're burning 5000 calories in a day but only in-taking 2000 from complex sources like protein and complex carbohydrates, your body will be forced to burn fat to make up the 3000 calorie difference.

You need shock, high speed quick burst workouts...racquet ball, tread mill/exercise bike set to do speed training, basket ball, hockey, or sprint sports at the track.  These should be kept up so that your heart rate stays up during a full 30 minute workout, but you shouldn't extend your workout past that because then you will start building muscle mass and counteracting your problem."

All wrong!! If you wanna lose weight and maintain tone then do the complete opposite to whats been quoted!! i have no idea who told him that advice.

Excersicing to lose weight, build cardio vascular tolerance, build muscle mass & tone muscle mass are totally different ways of excersising! (excuse my spelling..it's real late...)...
You will NOT build bulk and muscle mass by useing weights and resistance machines properly, especially if you are a woman..unless you are taking a lot of steroids. It has been proven that lifting weights is actually MORE effective at weight control/reduction then CV workouts...reasons are...
1. Resistance training, in simplest terms, is a way of stressing muscle to the point of tearing and damaging it...hence the body then repairs the damaged muscle bigger and stronger...because of this process...you are burning calories, not only during the workout, but also during the rebuilding and repair process that can go on for 3 - 5 days depending on the intensity oif a workout! This is also gonna raise your resting metabolic rate which will in turn mean you will burn more calories whilst sleeping then you would normally!
2. Duriing a cardio session (eg..30 mins on a bike) for the first 20-25 mins all you are doing is useing up your excess Creatine levels. Creatine is the power source your body uses for quick burst / power movements (weight training, sprinting, quick burst movements etc...), the result's (or waste) of breaking down creatine as a power source is lactic acid which produces that tight feeling in your muscles (the pump)...so...
3...for weight loss we need to emply the CV (cardio vascular system) or oxygen energy system. It's the oxygen, burning with the calories (carbohydrates) that produces carbon dioxide as a waste...and turns up the heat to also increase metabolic rates...the problem is, we need to first get rid of the creatine before we start burning the oxygen (and carbs) to lose weight. If you jump straight on a bike or follow the excersises recomended by the person quoted, all you are gonna do is get sore, cramped muscles, very sweaty, out of breath and sore joints!! Yes, your heart will be hurting, but thats not what burns calories...
If you run, cycle, etc for 30 mins, the first 20-25 will be burning off the excess creatine and only when thats gone will you begin (for the last 5 mins) burning fat..that means, a 30 min session will probably burn off half a snickers, if you are lucky!!!

this is so complicated and i studies for years to get these qualifications and i am sorry if it's a little confusing...but bare with me.....

energy systems...

Oxygen (using 60-75 max heart rate) = weight lose, calorific burning, thermogenic effect...

To find your max heart rate just take your age from 220 and then do the percentage...eg...

...so for hard Cardio training i should be trying to maintain a heart rate of 140 to 168.

If you have difficulty measuring then use the formula of...if u can't have a comfortable conversation anymore, then you are working too hard...slow down or reduce the resistance!

..Now, weights...they do NOT make you look like the governor. Unless you have a very high level of testosterone in your body, or are on a lot of steroids..you will only get lean and toned...not big and chunky!! Promise!! Ask anyone who knows!!

The diet thing is most important....no wheat / sugars / and as little dairy as possible! Keep it to non fat milk or low fat cheeses..etc...eggs are good but eat the whites not the yolks!!
Lots of fruit, veg, poultry, fish, outmeal in the morning, and a little fat free ben and jerry's at the weekends.....

Gym...start with 30mins of resistance..weights....do circuites...useing low weights but high (12-20) rep sets...this will get the muscles working, warm up the joints, increase you metabolism and most importantly, burn off the excess Creatine in the body...

do three different excersises for 20 mins each (to prevent boredom!!)..now, as soon as you start, you will be burning the right fuel (carbs!!!) keep the Heart rate in the correct area and listen to the ipod whilst you sweat....

Good luck. I hope this makes some sense to you. If you have any questions...contact me directly...you have the address....

And, please, don't listen to what a non qualified person tell you about dieting and weight loss.

"NO WEIGHT TRAINING...no lifting weights...you're bulky as is, and you don't need any more muscle mass!!!!"
is obviously stupid as well as blind. You look stunning as you are...I'm offering safe and tested methods, not folklore for achieving your targets safely and efficiantly...

Joseph x

I personally believe that eating moderately and exercising daily will keep you at steady weight. There are so many "quick diet remedies" and from experience I wouldn't even think of trying another. Trying to lose weight in short period of time will only make you gain twice as much in the long run.

So for beginners who want to become healthy and fit, I think the best thing to remember is "what you take in is what you take out."

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Yet when I say "eat like a king" it doesn't mean go out and get yourself a breakfast value meal at McDonald's or Burger King!  I'm simply saying eat a lot of healthy breakfast foods.

OKAY...I'm getting sleepy now! So, I'm going to take my 2 cents and run! But before I do, I'd have to agree with Joseph G. And if I may add on -- 

If you have too much sugar, carb, starch intake, etc...Yes you will have to "structure your mind and body to a healthier diet. Most Importantly, Discipline yourself to stick to exercise.

Take Care & Cheers to healthy living!

~Marygrace~

Jul 13 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Pixishots Photography

JOEY G. wrote:

energy systems...

Joseph x

Take Care & Cheers to healthy living!

~Marygrace~

Jul 13 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

First, why do you need to lose 20 lbs?  And what makes it so that you have to lose it in a certain time frame?

See my other comments in CAPS:

James Jackson wrote:

Now, to continue your weight loss you will need to change your workout routine and diet again. 
YES, ABSOLUTELY. IT COMES DOWN TO CALORIES IN/CALORIES OUT. IN ORDER TO LOSE WEIGHT, YOU HAVE TO DEFICIT IN CALORIES FROM YOUR BMR (BASAL METABOLIC RATE). FOR EVERY 3500 CALORIES DEFICIT, YOU SHOULD EXPECT 1 LB OF WEIGHT LOSS (NOT WATER).

.....You can cut back on starches, carbs, and simple sugars without eliminating them.  One source of starches that you should DEFINITELY keep in your diet is whole grain!  You need the fiber.  Fiber leeches fats and trans fatty acids from your system and helps keep your bad cholesterol low.  So, a healthy breakfast of oatmeal is always good.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE HERE, BUT REMEMBER THAT THERE IS A LOT OF RESEARCH THAT INDICATES THAT IF YOU START YOUR DAY OUT WITH HIGHER PROTEIN FOODS, YOU WILL BE MORE LIKELY TO STICK TO A HEALTHY DIET, SET MEALS, ETC. THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

...Simple sugars to eliminate: sodas, power bars, smoothies, protein shakes.  Cut back on servings of non fibrous fruit.  Keep up with at least three servings per day of fibrous fruit though; apples, pears, raspberries, etc.

UM, THE GREAT MAJORITY OF PROTEIN SHAKES HAVE LITTLE TO NO SUGAR (AND LITTLE TO NO FAT) AT ALL.  THEY CAN BE AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF PROTEIN...  AS FOR POWER BARS, THIS IS A BRAND. IF YOU MEANT PROTEIN BARS, YES, I AGREE ONE SHOULD STEER CLEAR OF THEM AS MOST ARE GLORIFIED CANDY BARS, BUT THE REASON ISN'T SO MUCH TO AVOID SUGARS AS IT IS TO AVOID FATS AND CALORIES. PROTEIN BARS ALSO DO NOT OFFER THE SAME QUALITY OF PROTEIN AS IS FOUND IN PROTEIN SHAKES.

...Lower your choleric intake in general...not below 1500 calories per day because your body will go in to store mode, but lower it down to around 2000 at least while maintaining your workout.  Fastest way to loose weight is to dump energy, and if you're burning 5000 calories in a day but only in-taking 2000 from complex sources like protein and complex carbohydrates, your body will be forced to burn fat to make up the 3000 calorie difference.

THE AMOUNT ONE NEEDS TO LOWER THEIR CALORIC INTAKE TO DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL'S BASAL METABOLIC RATE. FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON WITH A NORMAL METABOLISM, FIGURE 11 CALORIES PER LB OF WEIGHT FOR FEMALES AND 12 CALORIES PER LB FOR MALES.  SO FOR A FEMALE WHO IS 150 CALORIES, 2000 CALORIES IS TOO MUCH UNLESS SHE IS DOING AN HOUR'S WORTH OF WEIGHT BEARING CARDIO A DAY. EVEN THEN, SHE'D BARELY BE MAINTAINING HER WEIGHT AND ONLY LOSING A VERY SMALL AMOUNT EACH WEEK.  1500 CALORIES A DAY WILL NOT PUT ONE'S BODY INTO STARVATION MODE. THE WHOLE IDEA OF STARVATION MODE IS LUDICROUS AND IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ANY RESEARCH.  WHAT IS KNOWN IS THAT WHEN ONE'S BODY DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH CALORIES TO SUPPORT EVEN BASIC FUNCTIONS, THE BODY WILL START BREAKING DOWN MUSCLE, AND THIS CAN HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON ONE'S METABOLIC RATE.

...You need shock, high speed quick burst workouts...racquet ball, tread mill/exercise bike set to do speed training, basket ball, hockey, or sprint sports at the track.  These should be kept up so that your heart rate stays up during a full 30 minute workout, but you shouldn't extend your workout past that because then you will start building muscle mass and counteracting your problem.

NO WEIGHT TRAINING...no lifting weights...you're bulky as is, and you don't need any more muscle mass!!!!

ACTUALLY, JUST THE OPPOSITE, IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAINTAIN IT (EMPHASIS ON MAINTAINING IT), WEIGHT TRAINING IS VERY IMPORTANT. THIS IS WHAT ALLOWS ONE TO KEEP THEIR METABOLISM WHILE LOSING WEIGHT. MUSCLE IS AN ACTIVE TISSUE THAT REQUIRES CALORIES TO MAINTAIN ITSELF. IF YOU ARE ONLY DOING CARDIO, YOUR BODY WILL BREAK DOWN MUSCLE FOR ENERGY AND THIS IS THE LAST THING ONE WANTS.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!
CAROLINE
-225 LBS @ GOAL AND MAINTAINING FOR 2 YEARS
CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER, MA IN REHABILITATION

Jul 13 06 11:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Evey E

North Hills, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
These should be kept up so that your heart rate stays up during a full 30 minute workout, but you shouldn't extend your workout past that because then you will start building muscle mass and counteracting your problem.

Actually, your body doesn't start burning fat AFTER the first 20 minutes of your workout.  So, 10 minutes of actual fat burning doesn't sound like enough workout time for me.

Jul 13 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Caroline Ann Martin wrote:

Edit...

Now I see the comments...

And I'd go with what she says over what I say any day... Can't argue with results.

Jul 13 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

I read your page and thought I would note if you are trying to get into King or XXL, don't lose a pound!  They are all about the curves.  As for the 20 pounds it really depends on what look you are going for.  If you want a stick-thin high fashion shape I would recommend veganism (no animal products at all) all the vegans I know are slim-thin.  If you want to be more fit, like say FHM type you need to lose fat and gain more muscle to give you a toned look, which might only amount to about a 10lb weight loss but you'd be lean.  Those girls don't naturally have muscle tone they have to lift weights, so whoever was saying don't lift weights is WRONG!  How do I know?  I've lost 30 lbs on my own. And while I'm not where I want to be yet, I think I've made good progress.

Jul 13 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

IF YOU ARE ONLY DOING CARDIO, YOUR BODY WILL BREAK DOWN MUSCLE FOR ENERGY AND THIS IS THE LAST THING ONE WANTS.

Caroline, I have to disagree just slightly though.  I think, from actually reading the OP, and her history...she actually *wants* complete and total mass loss...which is why my recommendations are as they are.  It's not the healthiest course of action, but if she wants to be super thin with little to no muscle mass, which is what she said, how would you recommend she do that?

Jul 13 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Evey E wrote:
Actually, your body doesn't start burning fat AFTER the first 20 minutes of your workout.  So, 10 minutes of actual fat burning doesn't sound like enough workout time for me.

Most cardiologist would disagree, but it's a fine line, and seriously to determine exactly what she should be doing to get to her exact goals she's going to have to spend some money and speak to a doctor or two who've studied this stuff way more in depth than me.

Jul 13 06 11:32 am Link

Model

Englishman In L.A.

James Jackson wrote:

Most cardiologist would disagree, but it's a fine line, and seriously to determine exactly what she should be doing to get to her exact goals she's going to have to spend some money and speak to a doctor or two who've studied this stuff way more in depth than me.

James, it is a known FACT to anyone who has any nutrition / sports science training that for at least the first 20 mins of aerobic activity the body doesn't burn fat...
You have to get the body into the right energy system first...
...The body uses 3 different types of energy systems which i won't bore you with right now as i have to get to the gym...but suffice to say, they all over lap and work together but each one is used to a greater or lesser degree depending on the kind of physical activity.
For fat loss, we need to employ the aerobic energy system...this is the energy system that uses Glycogen and fat, in conjunction with oxygen, to produce ATP energy for fuel. This syetem produces the most ATP molecules and makes the body's  fat burning much more efficiant.
..but this energy system takes at least 20 mins of consistant cardio excersice before it fully kicks into gear!

By you telling Sara to train for quick short bursts at a time and not long constant periods of cardio...you are in effect telling her to do everything all wrong. She will only be using her ATP and Anaerobic energy systems for such excersice, and all she will be doing is useing up Creatine phosphate and glucose (the simple sugars you hate so much)...

By the way...in case you think i was trained by Fitness first etc....I have a degree in sports science and nutrition and have been a qualified personal trainer for the last 6 years and currently am a PT at Gold's - Hollywood. I also practice what i preach...not much body fat on me or my clients....oh..and..before you say it....I don't take steroids....if i did i would be 50 lbs heavier! Now, i'm taking my skinny ass to the gym!! Ciao

Jul 13 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Englishman In L.A.

P.S. I'm sure Mr Jackson is trying to help Miss sara...But his lack of factual knowledge and experience will only cause harm. I have a real low tolerance for people who read a magazine or two of mens health and train for an hour a week and suddenly become experts. I know my level of expertise, especially regarding Fitness, and never go beyond. If there's something i don't know, i look it up or ask and i learn and progress...James..you should listen and learn and not preach the wrong info..for Sara's safety!
I have a huge amount of knowledge about physiology and the physical training aspects of health and fitness...but i know my levels of knowledge about nutrition, although much more thent he average person, are nowhere near what an expert knows...so i don't preach about nutrition to such a high degree..it is something i am constantly learning and gaining experience about....you should try doing the same instead of just competing with others about things you know nothing about. It would be like you trying to Race me with one leg...stupid (it would actually be stipud to try to race me anyway...LOL!!)

Anyway

peace out!!

Jul 13 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

James Jackson wrote:

Edit...

Now I see the comments...

And I'd go with what she says over what I say any day... Can't argue with results.

LOL James smile And thank you for not taking my post/response personally. We are all here just trying to help each other out with info!  And this is a good thing in my opinion smile  What works for one person may not for another, and vice versa. 

Having been through the gamut of diets and exercise for sooooo many years and finally getting it right by allowing me to lose (and keep off) the 225 lbs, I sometimes feel obligated to steer people on course smile

Lots of hugs smile
Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal

Jul 13 06 12:52 pm Link

Model

Englishman In L.A.

LOL James smile And thank you for not taking my post/response personally. We are all here just trying to help each other out with info!  And this is a good thing in my opinion smile  What works for one person may not for another, and vice versa. 

Having been through the gamut of diets and exercise for sooooo many years and finally getting it right by allowing me to lose (and keep off) the 225 lbs, I sometimes feel obligated to steer people on course smile

Lots of hugs smile
Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal

Congrats Caroline...that is f****ng awesome. Great job!

Jul 13 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

Sara Danielle wrote:
Need to loose in two months! Why because I am FAT!!! Or should I say not model figure?

well if it counts for anything, i like your body ALOT. like alot alot. so yeah.. if you ever want to shoot with current body, let me know. hehe

Jul 13 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JOEY G. wrote:
P.S. I'm sure Mr Jackson is trying to help Miss sara...But his lack of factual knowledge and experience will only cause harm. I have a real low tolerance for people who read a magazine or two of mens health and train for an hour a week and suddenly become experts. I know my level of expertise, especially regarding Fitness, and never go beyond. If there's something i don't know, i look it up or ask and i learn and progress...James..you should listen and learn and not preach the wrong info..for Sara's safety!
I have a huge amount of knowledge about physiology and the physical training aspects of health and fitness...but i know my levels of knowledge about nutrition, although much more thent he average person, are nowhere near what an expert knows...so i don't preach about nutrition to such a high degree..it is something i am constantly learning and gaining experience about....you should try doing the same instead of just competing with others about things you know nothing about. It would be like you trying to Race me with one leg...stupid (it would actually be stipud to try to race me anyway...LOL!!)

Anyway

peace out!!

Well...firstly...lets stop bandying about the word "stupid" because I could make you look really stupid right now in regards to a few things, but I wouldn't call you stupid because undoubtedly you're not.

So, first things first, I'm not stupid, you're not stupid, no one here is stupid.  Some suggestions can be ill informed, but my suggestions are not as you keep indicating "stupid" or "dangerous".  Following my advice may not get the girl where she wants to go, but it will not be a detriment to her health.

Far from acting like an expert I at every turn have said I am not...I am only going on my experience...just because that experience has been guided by several doctors, nutritionists, and physical fitness experts does not make me an expert but it does give me a frame of reference from which to advise others.

Now, one thing I can tell you for sure is my nutritional advice is top notch.  Not only am I a pretty good cook and physically fit from my own cooking, but my girlfriend is a fully trained chef who knows more about nutrition in her little finger than I've been able to glean in years of cooking.  I asked her what her opinion was because we've been through these conversations ourselves with friends and loved ones promoting healthy eating and helping those seeking weight loss.  She's read over what I have written, and what you have written, and aside from yelling at me for not promoting the intake of dairy (lactic acid is necessary for weight loss, and I forgot)...she agrees with me 100%

As far as my workout advice? Well I can only tell you what has worked for me personally and several women I have trained with, along with some modifications to attempt to tailor the regimen to the OP's needs.  I can tell you that whenever girls I work out with train for longer periods than 30 minutes on cardio machines they DO build muscle mass in the muscle groups worked out by those machines...its just history, not scientific reasoning, but experience that teaches me this.  Girls that weight lift while dropping fat also build muscle mass at a much *higher* rate, much sooner in their development than I as a man do.

Now obviously for a "healthy body" this would be great...but many girls don't want muscle definition at all...and I mean at all...  I've seen girls cry because they started seeing muscle definition in their arms.

So,  again, I'll defer to your greater knowledge in the area of physical fitness, because I'm sure the program you're suggesting would undoubtedly leave the OP fit and healthy...but I urge you to consider the specific requests of the OP again, and possibly take a look at her photos and determine what type of look she would have after a few months of your regimen.

Jul 13 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Wow thanks everyone for all this info! I have printed it all out.

For the one who says I want to loose mass your incorect. I should have been more specific. I want to loose fat and gain muscle. I love my body shape and being thick. I just dont like it when it shakes. ;*)

Jul 13 06 07:32 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I couldn't be bothered reading all three pages... but my advice:  If you're on the pill, get off it!!

Jul 13 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Rachel Frew wrote:
I couldn't be bothered reading all three pages... but my advice:  If you're on the pill, get off it!!

This is one of my main problems!!! I am on the depo~prevera shot. I have to be for medical reasons...I get ovarian cysts when my cycle comes and the shot completly eliminates my monthy ! So I gained 30 pound from it, but it keeps me out of the hospital one a month! I just cant seem to loose the weight ;*(

Jul 13 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Sara Danielle wrote:

This is one of my main problems!!! I am on the depo~prevera shot. I have to be for medical reasons...I get ovarian cysts when my cycle comes and the shot completly eliminates my monthy ! So I gained 30 pound from it, but it keeps me out of the hospital one a month! I just cant seem to loose the weight ;*(

My ex has ovarian cysts... She too struggles with losing past a certain amount of weight... Of course that's not my problem anymore, but I just felt like sharing big_smile

Jul 13 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Englishman In L.A.

Sara Danielle wrote:
Wow thanks everyone for all this info! I have printed it all out.

For the one who says I want to loose mass your incorect. I should have been more specific. I want to loose fat and gain muscle. I love my body shape and being thick. I just dont like it when it shakes. ;*)

James, you are obviously a very passionate person, like me...and a pissing contest is not the objective here...whats best for Sarah is. So, she, above, has made it clear she is interested in changing her body composition. Reducing her BFMI (Body Fat mass index) and increasing her muscle and tone (this does NOT mean becoming a body builder).

As for all your previous retorts to what i've said, Yes, i called the premise of giving advice about things you are not qualified to do so, stupid. I would not advise on photography, i am a model and an actor and have been around camera's for the last 20 years...BUT...this does not qualify me on to give advice on shutter speeds, how to back light, film or digital blah blah etc etc....BUT it does qualify me to give an artistic opinion....as you are qualified to make an opinion about the way Sahar looks or weather or not she should lose/whatever weight....But you are NOT qualified to advise on fitness excersice routines....

You are TOTALLY WRONG regarding the 30min excersice thing you are talking about. This is proven by the simple fact that...Who are the thinnest athletes at the olympics? The middle to long distance runners. AND I AM SURE that they run / do cardio for more then 30 mins a day....Yes, they are tonned..but this tone also comes from body composition...aka...no body fat. Sarah will never be THAT lean...she will never be 5% BMI or ripped...so she never has to worry about that muscuklar look...unless she takes steroids or does 4 hours of cardio a day!

As for cooking, there are a million diest in the world but there are also set, known, factual ways of healthy eating that transend ALL fad diets, I'm sure you know this. I AM NO nutritional expert. I have a degree but nutritional studies (as well as physialogical studies) are a life long on going process.

By the way...tell your wife that she's right about how good milk is for you...but a huge percentage of people have Low tollerance to lactose sugars..which means that all that goodness just goes straight throught the system and never gets metabolised, leaving bloatedness and water retention issues. All the goodness in milk can be derived form many other food sources. Same with wheat products. It seems to be getting more and more prevelant that people ahve wheat intolarances...pain in the ass but it's why we try to never include milk or wheat products when writing out a diet plan. I suffer badly from both of these myself and it's a bitch because i love pasta and bread and milk!! Thats Life!!

For diest, i try to keep it simple....most people don't have the same undertsanding od calorie counting, Fat/carb/protein % counting etc...so it's abouit cutting stuff out, reducing and increasing....no point getting to complex...most people simply don't understand...you are at an advantage because most people don't even have time to cook for them selves or even eat a cooked meal....

...ALL..of these things have to be taken into consideration when preparing a plan for someone....not just regurgitating facts from a magazine. ....It;s about understanding exactly what someone is looking for, how long they are giving themselves, what their lifestyle is etc.....but this is MY expertise. The whole deal...

Anyway....if you didn't live so far i'd come over for dinner and take youto the gym...

Laters

J

Jul 14 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

Jenia

Washington, Arkansas, US

James Jackson wrote:

Ok, well first things first.  Everyone will plateau during their dieting.  As your body becomes more used to it's new circumstances it will attempt to regroup and start storing fat.  Your body naturally does this however your genes are programed, and so, you will always flounder once you've gone past what your body feels your ideal weight is...  Don't be discouraged, and don't stop doing what you're doing... If you started out loosing weight by eating healthy and exercising then you should definitely keep it up!

Now, to continue your weight loss you will need to change your workout routine and diet again.

My personal recommendation is to avoid starches/carbs and simple sugars.  This is similar to the Atkins diet, but I feel Atkins was a hack and knew nothing...then again I don't know much but what has worked for me and what I've heard from medical professionals.

You can cut back on starches, carbs, and simple sugars without eliminating them.  One source of starches that you should DEFINITELY keep in your diet is whole grain!  You need the fiber.  Fiber leeches fats and trans fatty acids from your system and helps keep your bad cholesterol low.  So, a healthy breakfast of oatmeal is always good.

Simple sugars to eliminate: sodas, power bars, smoothies, protein shakes.  Cut back on servings of non fibrous fruit.  Keep up with at least three servings per day of fibrous fruit though; apples, pears, raspberries, etc...

Starches to eliminate: white rice, white bread, white flour, pastas made from white flour or rice.  Keep eating whole grain stuff or alternate versions.  Also consider graham flour versions of just about anything because not only is it sweet and tasty it's good for you.

Lower your choleric intake in general...not below 1500 calories per day because your body will go in to store mode, but lower it down to around 2000 at least while maintaining your workout.  Fastest way to loose weight is to dump energy, and if you're burning 5000 calories in a day but only in-taking 2000 from complex sources like protein and complex carbohydrates, your body will be forced to burn fat to make up the 3000 calorie difference.

You need shock, high speed quick burst workouts...racquet ball, tread mill/exercise bike set to do speed training, basket ball, hockey, or sprint sports at the track.  These should be kept up so that your heart rate stays up during a full 30 minute workout, but you shouldn't extend your workout past that because then you will start building muscle mass and counteracting your problem.

NO WEIGHT TRAINING...no lifting weights...you're bulky as is, and you don't need any more muscle mass!!!!

James this is good but the bit about no weight training is veeeery questionable for 2 reasons:
1 - It not that easy to build up visible muscle mass, especially for women. Weight training moderately all over your body will not make you beefy. Honestly.
2 - a pound of muscle burns more calories while IDLE than a pound of fat. This means that adding some muscle to your frame will boost metabolism

However, weight training should not be accompanied by overeating - this WILL give you more mass and not all of it will be muscle smile

Jul 14 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lindsay A. Moleirinho

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nemi Bea wrote:
1) Die.
2) Get skullfucked by worms.

Fastest way I can think of...

WHAT!!!???

Jul 14 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lindsay A. Moleirinho

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Definatley exercise and drink lots of water.
Running is the best, anything cardio.
And cut down your meal portions, atleast half of what you would normally eat.
( Cut out all junk food, and try eating just vegetables )

I'm my opinion, excercising is the best way to loose weight because you not only loose weight but you gain muscle and tone your body as well.

oh and by the way, excercising in front of the T.V at home wont work, try to join a gym, you'll see more results.

Just my two cents, this worked for me... And I lost the weight in two weeks, I noticed it right away..

Good luck.

Jul 14 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

Nikki Fyre

Toronto, Iowa, US

Ana Paula wrote:

Starve, it works...

lol, OMG. you people are a little sad..i'm sorry..
but if you starve, you'll either a)die after a few years.
or b)put on all the weight plus more once you start eating again.

and if you decide to be bulemic rather than aneorexic, you're teeth will slowly be horribly damaged from the back to the front.
trust me on this.

starve...
omg...
i can't believe that someone actually wrote this.
if you're skinny butt lived in toronto,i'd throw a hamburger at you, and keep throwing more at you until you ate one...

"starve"...
wow..

look, if you want to lose weight, don't eat fatty foods, and foods with high carbs.
eat in moderation, not like a pig hording down your food,
and go to the friggin gym instead of sitting on your butt!!!!!
and do cardio. lots of cardio.

people that starve themselves are stupid, ignorant morons who have no idea how thier bodies work, and deserve the rotton stomach disorders and tooth decay that happens, and the hair loss/thinning, the mood swings...everything that comes with aneorexia.. jeeze..
sorry..
i hate stupid people...
*shakes head*

women need to learn to embrace what they have, find beauty in yourself, not in losing 20 goddamned pounds.
be thankful you have all your arms and legs, jeeze.

Jul 14 06 06:00 pm Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Wow, I've been following this thread for a couple of days now, and not that anybody cares, but here's my 2 cents:
20 lbs in 2 months is very ambitious, and I'd wonder if there is even a way to do it that's healthy. (Unless one is coming from a very high weight, like 300+)
For longer term good health and well being, Joey's advice is what I'd go with. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Once you reach your goal, you need a plan to maintain it. If you're really driven, you'll end up setting a new goal for further improvement.
Sarah, after checking out your figure, I really don't think you need to worry that much about it, I think you look awesome...
(18+) https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=44866624bde61

Jul 14 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

Nikki Fyre

Toronto, Iowa, US

luv2bfitt wrote:
Wow, I've been following this thread for a couple of days now, and not that anybody cares, but here's my 2 cents:
20 lbs in 2 months is very ambitious, and I'd wonder if there is even a way to do it that's healthy. (Unless one is coming from a very high weight, like 300+)
For longer term good health and well being, Joey's advice is what I'd go with. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Once you reach your goal, you need a plan to maintain it. If you're really driven, you'll end up setting a new goal for further improvement...

smile

Jul 14 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Sara Danielle wrote:
Need to loose in two months! Why because I am FAT!!! Or should I say not model figure?

I have been workin out and eating well for over 4 months now and cant loose any weight! ;*(

Okay. I have had this same problem. You actually need to change your routine MOST IMPORTANT when working out. I find it best to run, and then some sort of fitness class, and then very light weights (more reps, less weight--otherwise you'll bulk, therefore gaining weight) CHALLENGE your body!! Pilates really helps although it hurts... Also, avoid the three white devils flour, sugar, salt. I find eating a salad before your meals, really helps cut down on how much you'll eat. LOTS of fruits and vegetables. Fruits are really good for sweet cravings-especially exotic fruits-papayas, cherries (not really exotic), mangoes, really sweet grapes... They also help in between meals.  Cut down on soda. Most Americans drink soda, juice, etcetera, and don't realize how much calories they are consuming. Drink water. It is the best thirst quencher. It will also help your skin tremendously!

Jul 21 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

DreamAwakening wrote:
Limit yourself to one can of tuna (plain in water) and one apple a day. Christian Bale did this for the role in The Machinist he had. He went from 180lbs to 120lbs (not sure the amount of time).

Three months... I watch entirely too much E! lol

Jul 21 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Lindsay A. Moleirinho wrote:

WHAT!!!???

I think she means die.

and me and my mum are on south beach..in the first two weeks your supposed to lose 13lbs righ there.

Jul 21 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Liberty

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

>join a gym and run your ass off literally.
>and stop eating after the sun goes down. i lost 10 pounds for prom just by stop eating after dark. and no drink except water and maybe sugar free low fat jucie.

>>drink as many full glasses of hot or cold WATER before you think your hungry again. hot makes u feel fuller, cold makes you burn calories. and it flushes out your system and makes you skin clearer.

>>>LOTS OF H2O!

Jul 21 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:
My personal recommendation is to avoid starches/carbs and simple sugars.  This is similar to the Atkins diet, but I feel Atkins was a hack and knew nothing...then again I don't know much but what has worked for me and what I've heard from medical professionals.

Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist and had over 80,000 case studies of his diet at the time of his death. Read the books, then judge him. As far as grains go, that's exactly what my Uncle Jake the Hog Farmer fed his pigs to FATTEN them up! It works everytime, humans too!!

Didn't Atkins die of a heart attack?!?!?! Yeah, I'd say he's a hack and knows nothing!!

Jul 21 06 06:35 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Rachel Frew wrote:

Yeah, and gain the weight back 10fold by popping 60 kids... Great advice!!

Jul 21 06 06:50 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Krysta Gabrielle wrote:

Okay. I have had this same problem. You actually need to change your routine MOST IMPORTANT when working out. I find it best to run, and then some sort of fitness class, and then very light weights (more reps, less weight--otherwise you'll bulk, therefore gaining weight) CHALLENGE your body!! Pilates really helps although it hurts... Also, avoid the three white devils flour, sugar, salt. I find eating a salad before your meals, really helps cut down on how much you'll eat. LOTS of fruits and vegetables. Fruits are really good for sweet cravings-especially exotic fruits-papayas, cherries (not really exotic), mangoes, really sweet grapes... They also help in between meals.  Cut down on soda. Most Americans drink soda, juice, etcetera, and don't realize how much calories they are consuming. Drink water. It is the best thirst quencher. It will also help your skin tremendously!

I take it all back after reading what Joey G. said. Don't listen to me, I know nothing!!! Sorry!

Jul 21 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Crack cocaine.

Jul 22 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

Join the boxing class I attend, especially on one of those 85 degrees + days

Jul 22 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

My advice to you is don't go on a diet, but change your diet by changing some of your eating habits. Trying to diet will only make you gain more weight.

Bottomline, excerise. Start out with short walks, long walks, jogging short distance and pace yourself to run long distance.

Work with a weight trainer at a weightlifting or gym to tone your body.

Last, but not least, talk with a nutritionist who can give you the best advice on what he recommends for your daily diet. This is realy what you need, plus this keeps you from getting overwhelmed with the different points of view on here.

Jul 22 06 12:20 am Link