Forums > General Industry > Atlanta sucks

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm tired of atlanta this town sucks everyone here wants something for free heading back to the sunshine state. and a top of it they stole some  of my gear

Jul 08 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
I'm tired of atlanta this town sucks everyone here wants something for free heading back to the sunshine state. and a top of it they stole some  of my gear

It is a good thing Atlanta sucks... or else Florida would fall in the Ocean.

Jul 08 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've heard the miami market is worse for models. But who knows? There's negatives and positives everywhere.

Jul 08 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There are pros and cons to any place I guess, but I've lived in Atlanta 5 years and love it here.

Jul 08 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Mz Baby Nisha

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yeah me too! I got tired living in New Orleans and dont want to live in any surrounding coastal states that they are hurricane-prone! I love ATL since I moved up there and finally got me in peace. Of course I can get used to Tropical Storm through Georgia area! I dont see anything is wrong with ATL but like comment above me is right that they are entitled to comments pro or con which cities are they in or wants to be in.

https://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200509/r59264_162682.jpg

Jul 08 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You've GOT to be kidding!

Atlanta has
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/051219/14/43a76f13165f2_m.jpg, https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050718/22/42dc72c209a73_m.jpg, andhttps://img2.modelmayhem.com/050804/16/42f2841926c9d_m.jpg!!!

They put the 'HOT' in 'HOTlanta'!!!
(not to forget the many fine and friendly models from the towns surrounding the city of Atlanta too!)

How on earth could you ever leave???

Jul 08 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I've only been to Atlanta once...it was kinda creepy. I think North Carolina is far worst.

Jul 08 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lol, thanks! big_smile
I love Atlanta! Not for modeling reasons though. I agree that the modeling market kinda sucks here- depending on the kinda modeling you want to do.

Jul 08 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DO YALL GET PAID?

Jul 08 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Atlanta has a booming urban modeling and commercial modeling market. The fashion market sucks there, but the fashion market suck everywhere except NY and LA.  Atlanta kicks ass!

Besides Adrienne is in ATL.  Next time I go, I'm hunting her down and kidnapping her, and then making clones.  It's step one in my devious plan for world domination!  (or at least my plan to have a bunch of cloned uber hot chicks  at my beck and call!)

Jul 08 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
DO YALL GET PAID?

Shhhhhh.

Jul 08 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Whe I woked at CBS and rotated thru "Hot Lanta" for gigs I HATED it. Got my vote for least freindly southern town and most hype! Good luck in FL. Just avoid central FL where you ahve all the worst aspects of heat and humidity with NONE of the benifits...unless you are a Disney fanatic
Mike

Jul 08 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Whe I woked at CBS and rotated thru "Hot Lanta" for gigs I HATED it. Got my vote for least freindly southern town and most hype! Good luck in FL. Just avoid central FL where you have all the worst aspects of heat and humidity with NONE of the benifits...unless you are a Disney fanatic
Mike

Jul 08 06 09:39 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
DO YALL GET PAID?

Well like what was mentioned- the commercial and what's now being recognized as "urban" market is huge out here. I know many urban models who are doing well. As far as commercial models-better find an agency first!

Jul 08 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I was there shooting over Mardi Gras Weekend this year - I had a great time!

Jul 08 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Atlanta is a LARGE collection of small town people...There is LITTLE sophistication....We have the OLDEST continuous performing ballet company in the COUNTRY...and they have to BEG people to come to performances...A world class symphony that struggles to pay its performers....and a theatre community that thrives on Broadway tours....(although "The Color Purple" musical did originate here....)  We have more than our share of violence and crime....and people like Dallas Austin, who are dumb enough to carry coke into the Middle East, but get out of jail sentences, because of friends in high places...(Can I get an AMEN, WHITNEY??  BOBBY???  ANYONE??) I'm PAST ready for LA

Jul 08 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

ATL needs a damn airport that you dont need a scout and a tracker to find your damned gate.

Jul 08 06 10:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

SoVi-Southern Vitality

Houston, Texas, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
DO YALL GET PAID?

I keep hearing the same thing about Atlanta!! I'm in Houston and am thinking about moving to Atlanta b/c it REALLY sucks here!! Nobody wants to get paid or hook up w/ the people who have ideas on how to get everyone paid!! I shouldn't have to put out my own magazine just to do an editorial and get paid. I have many ideas, but no one here is trying to hear it. I really want to work w/ Af. American models (my peeps) but people keep telling me that the only way I'm gonna get paid is if I "change up my market and client base" I haven't really done it yet but...????

Jul 08 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

One thing I learned about this city is that its like everyone knows someone who knows someone.

"Oh! You worked with so and so? How is he?"

"Uh...I dunno...how did you even-"

"I'd recognize this style of photography anywhere."

Same with models. I run into the same group of girls every casting I go to. Its like "ugh! I gotta sit next to this skinny heifer again."

Jul 08 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
skinny heifer

You're good at oxymorons.  :0).

Jul 08 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

LOL! Yeah you're right. That term doesn't make much sense but it does sound funny togethor

Jul 08 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Jul 08 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
skinny heifer

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
You're good at oxymorons.  :0).

https://images14.fotki.com/v244/photos/1/128629/2794270/Skinny_Cow_2-vi.jpg
I'm a COW not an OX!!!
So who's calling who a moron???

Jul 08 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
Well like what was mentioned- the commercial and what's now being recognized as "urban" market is huge out here.

Are you an "urban" model, Annabella ? Or are you a "commercial model" who happens to be not black ?

Jul 08 06 11:44 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:

Are you an "urban" model, Annabella ? Or are you a "commercial model" who happens to be not black ?

I don't understand what you mean. I wasn't speaking of the color or term "black" My best girlfriends who are in the "urban market" aren't black actually. So color would be irrelevant.

Jul 08 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

ANNABELLA wrote:

I don't understand what you mean. I wasn't speaking of the color or term "black" My best girlfriends who are in the "urban market" aren't black actually. So color would be irrelevant.

Nevermind my silliness, Annabella. I was just messing witcha .

Jul 09 06 12:04 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Better be! smile

Jul 09 06 12:10 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I was/am really confused, too.

Jul 09 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Interesting observation about one of the five top comercial markets in the country. In fact it's been refered to as "Catalog City" in the industry. Yeah, like any city there is some crime here, in fact in a NE I came home to find a burgler in my living room. We had a bit of a foot chase, but I'm an old fat fart and he got away. But that one incident was my sole involvement with crime and I had no lose other than a broken front door frame. As for photography, the competition is fierce but the work is there. It can be hard to find and even harder to keep once it's found, but commercial work is there. You won't find it on the net, nor will you find commercialw ork on the net in NY, Chicago,  Los Angeles or Miami. You have to go out and sell yourself to clients the old fashioned way, by showing an outstanding book. About that competition, remember there are about five schools in the area, churning out hopeful photographers each year.  The hungriest, not always the best, are the shooters who make it. Pissing and moaning on the net won't get it done!

If you want to be a fashion shooter, it won't happen here, the market doesn't really exist. For that, move to NYC if you are good enough.  But note, they will still want "free"  stuff, whether in NYC, Miami or wherever, that's the nature of what we do. But if you want, go on to Fla, we all know there is no competion there for photographers, esp not in South Beach.

Jul 09 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

hey try living in australia ,we do not have gravity here, we are held in place by the sucking motion, australia we are downunder, so we are closer to hell, lol.

Jul 09 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

ACTUALLY I WOKE UP ON THE RIGHT SIDE

Jul 09 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Interesting observation about one of the five top comercial markets in the country. In fact it's been refered to as "Catalog City" in the industry. Yeah, like any city there is some crime here, in fact in a NE I came home to find a burgler in my living room. We had a bit of a foot chase, but I'm an old fat fart and he got away. But that one incident was my sole involvement with crime and I had no lose other than a broken front door frame. As for photography, the competition is fierce but the work is there. It can be hard to find and even harder to keep once it's found, but commercial work is there. You won't find it on the net, nor will you find commercialw ork on the net in NY, Chicago,  Los Angeles or Miami. You have to go out and sell yourself to clients the old fashioned way, by showing an outstanding book. About that competition, remember there are about five schools in the area, churning out hopeful photographers each year.  The hungriest, not always the best, are the shooters who make it. Pissing and moaning on the net won't get it done!

If you want to be a fashion shooter, it won't happen here, the market doesn't really exist. For that, move to NYC if you are good enough.  But note, they will still want "free"  stuff, whether in NYC, Miami or wherever, that's the nature of what we do. But if you want, go on to Fla, we all know there is no competion there for photographers, esp not in South Beach.

CATALOG CITY? I THINK NOT. I'M SURE THERE IS COMPETITION IN MIA AND NYC I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMPETITION AND I'M SURE THERE IS A LOT OF THAT IN MIAMI AND WHEREVER ELSE,IN FACT I WOULD WELCOME SOME STIFF COMPETITION MAYBE THERE WILL BE SOME INSIRATION IN THERE. MY PROBLEM IS THAT KNOW ONE HERE WANT'S TO PAY THEY ALL WANT TO BARTER AND SOME ALL SO SOME CRAZY RATES. LIKE MAKEUP ARTIST CHARGING PER LOOK, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE COMING HERE TO ATLANTA IT'S EITHER FULL DAY OR HALF DAY RATE AND EVERY BODY AND THERE MOMMA WANTS A TFP/TFCD IT'S JUST DRAINING IT TAKES AWAY THAT ZEST THAT AN ARTIST CARRIES
AND I FEEL I JUST NEED TO BE IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE I CAN GET PAID EVEN A LITTLE SOMTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.AND ALSO BE INSPIRED AT THE SAME TIME

Jul 09 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Whatever we choose to focus our attention on will always materialise in our lives. We create our own realities. I personally love Atlanta, the people are real, honest, warm & friendly. It's a great town.

Jul 09 06 02:47 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

CATALOG CITY? I THINK NOT. I'M SURE THERE IS COMPETITION IN MIA AND NYC I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMPETITION AND I'M SURE THERE IS A LOT OF THAT IN MIAMI AND WHEREVER ELSE,IN FACT I WOULD WELCOME SOME STIFF COMPETITION MAYBE THERE WILL BE SOME INSIRATION IN THERE. MY PROBLEM IS THAT KNOW ONE HERE WANT'S TO PAY THEY ALL WANT TO BARTER AND SOME ALL SO SOME CRAZY RATES. LIKE MAKEUP ARTIST CHARGING PER LOOK, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE COMING HERE TO ATLANTA IT'S EITHER FULL DAY OR HALF DAY RATE AND EVERY BODY AND THERE MOMMA WANTS A TFP/TFCD IT'S JUST DRAINING IT TAKES AWAY THAT ZEST THAT AN ARTIST CARRIES
AND I FEEL I JUST NEED TO BE IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE I CAN GET PAID EVEN A LITTLE SOMTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.AND ALSO BE INSPIRED AT THE SAME TIME

Shhhhhh!

Jul 09 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
DO YALL GET PAID?

Welcome to the world of Internet modeling. Don’t try to make a living off of it.

Jul 09 06 02:52 am Link

Model

obye

New York, New York, US

I really do agree that the Atlanta market sucks, as far as editoral fashion. Additonally there are only maybe a handful of expectional photograhers located in this city that I am willing to conduct a paid session with; and as far of free shots go, if a photographers contacts me for a shoot, that I don't feel is going to benefit me, why in the world would I pay him or her?

Jul 09 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

DON'T SHOUT! I'm curious about a couple of things. How long have you been here and how many commercial clients have you contacted? Have you tried to get appointments to show your book to ad agencies? Have you run any ads in local media? Please don't tell my you are trying to make a living off of the internet! That just ain't gonna happen. Ask yourself where the money is. Commercial clients in the real, brick and mortar world have, not net models.

Before I retired, "Catalog City" and commercial photography gave me a pretty good living. Look at how many corporate headquarters are located in Atlanta, everything from Coca Cola to UPS. Look at how many catalogs are produced here for a number of national and inernational corportions. Even things like the Clock handgun catalog was produced in Atlanta until it was taken back to Belgium a couple of years ago. Much of my own work was small product and magazine illustrations, it's out there but you have to go out and find it, it won't find you.

Have you been in contact with any of Atlanta's model agencies about testing for them? It doesn't pay much, if anything at all, but it can be a great way of making contacts and  getting into the 'real world'. It can lso be a great way of learning what types of photos are current in the brick and mortar industry.

How about retail photography? Have you advertised carriage trade portraiture or weddings? Atlana is a very affluent city, lots of families with disposable income. For example, a good size ad run for three months in 'Atlanta Sports and Fitness' magazine got me enough shoots with body builders to pay my mortgage for six months. It also got me advertising shots with personal trainers for their own advertising.

Entertainers? There are countless local theater groups and acting schools in the metro area. Actors and musicians need PR shots. Granted many have little or no money, but many do and the best of them are willing (eager?) to spend it on quality PR shots for their own marketing. I was paid to shoot everything from country bands to rap artists, frome magicians to lounge singers. They are out there looking for quality work, but you have to let them know you exist and the internet doesn''t really do that. I had ads running in Creative Loafing for years, they read that for announcelents and news in their industry.

But it's a lot easier to piss and moan on a forum and blame a city, a city which whether you accept it or not is one of the five major commercial market cities in the coutry. 

As an example, this shot ws done for a regional bridal magazine, headquartered in
Atlanta.   http://www.distinctiveimages.com/com2.jpg

Jul 09 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

obi wrote:
I really do agree that the Atlanta market sucks, as far as editoral fashion. Additonally there are only maybe a handful of expectional photograhers located in this city that I am willing to conduct a paid session with; and as far of free shots go, if a photographers contacts me for a shoot, that I don't feel is going to benefit me, why in the world would I pay him or her?

HONESTLY, DO YOU THINK I'M WORTH GETTING PAID?

Jul 09 06 11:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

LMA

Los Angeles, California, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

Don't you know, EVERYONE wants something for free! unfortunate but true! 
Ani
MUA

Jul 09 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Shhhhhh!

DONT SHUSH ME. U TELL ME WHERE THE CATALOG MARKET IS HERE

Jul 09 06 11:58 am Link