Forums > General Industry > Atlanta sucks

Makeup Artist

LMA

Los Angeles, California, US

SoVi-Southern Vitality wrote:

I keep hearing the same thing about Atlanta!! I'm in Houston and am thinking about moving to Atlanta b/c it REALLY sucks here!! Nobody wants to get paid or hook up w/ the people who have ideas on how to get everyone paid!! I shouldn't have to put out my own magazine just to do an editorial and get paid. I have many ideas, but no one here is trying to hear it. I really want to work w/ Af. American models (my peeps) but people keep telling me that the only way I'm gonna get paid is if I "change up my market and client base" I haven't really done it yet but...????

gettin PAID probably depends all on your WORK and not your location right??
i think so...

Jul 09 06 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

LMA

Los Angeles, California, US

obi wrote:
I really do agree that the Atlanta market sucks, as far as editoral fashion. Additonally there are only maybe a handful of expectional photograhers located in this city that I am willing to conduct a paid session with; and as far of free shots go, if a photographers contacts me for a shoot, that I don't feel is going to benefit me, why in the world would I pay him or her?

true true

Jul 09 06 12:00 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I guess it sucks when your not in demand, but its awesome for those who are. Like every other fashion town in the US.No?

Jul 09 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:
I guess it sucks when your not in demand, but its awesome for those who are. Like every other fashion town in the US.No?

HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN ATLANTA OR BEEN TO ATLANTA?

Jul 09 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

hmmm never been to Atlanta, but dam, there are some stunning models coming out of there, and some great photographic work to.

Jul 09 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Modest beautiful Georgia Peaches..left ATL a year ago and miss it dearly.

Southern Hospitality at its finest

Jul 09 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

obye

New York, New York, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

HONESTLY, DO YOU THINK I'M WORTH GETTING PAID?

for what i'm seeking right now, which is fashion editoral work, and since you only have 3 (i think) pictures in your port that portray this...no, I wouldn't pay for your work. But, not everyone is looking for the type of images i'm in need of, and your work may be exactly what their looking for.

Jul 09 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN ATLANTA OR BEEN TO ATLANTA?

Stop typing in caps. And yes, I've lived(with relatives) and stayed in atlanta. Point being what? There plenty of people very happy living in Atlanta and there people who hate living there. That's the same thing in nyc, some ppl will never leave and some are pinching every penny for a train ticket out. Should i list the issues in NYC?? Because every city as them.

Jul 09 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

obi wrote:
for what i'm seeking right now, which is fashion editoral work, and since you only have 3 (i think) pictures in your port that portray this...no,

Like the way you think, great to see that some models actually think in terms of what they need.

Jul 09 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
I'm tired of atlanta this town sucks everyone here wants something for free heading back to the sunshine state. and a top of it they stole some  of my gear

OK, folks.
It seems as though practically everywhere I've ever been, people always have the same complaint about the area they're living in.  Therefore, to make it easier for anyone to complain, I have developed a template for you to use.

Simply fill in the blanks to make your own unique rant about the town you're living in!

I'm tired of __________ this town sucks! Everyone here wants something for free!  I'm heading back to _______. and a top of it they stole some of my ______.

In life:
Those that can make it... do
   Those that can't make it... don't

Jul 09 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

Stop typing in caps. And yes, I've lived(with relatives) and stayed in atlanta. Point being what? There plenty of people very happy living in Atlanta and there people who hate living there. That's the same thing in nyc, some ppl will never leave and some are pinching every penny for a train ticket out. Should i list the issues in NYC?? Because every city as them.

I THINK YOU NEED TO DROP NYC ATTITUDE  AND SECONDLY WHO DIED AND MADE YOU THE MM POLICE  I CAN TYPE IN ANY FORMAT I WANT AND THIRD UR 17 WHAT MAKES YOU AN EXPERT ON WORK AND INDUSTRY MATTERS YOU NEED TO SIT AND WATCH THE SCREEN AND NOT SAY ANYTHING THAT'S JUST MY SUGGESTION

Jul 09 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Stop bitching and move then. Bye! *waves*

Jul 09 06 12:28 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
I THINK YOU NEED TO DROP NYC ATTITUDE  AND SECONDLY WHO DIED AND MADE YOU THE MM POLICE  I CAN TYPE IN ANY FORMAT I WANT AND THIRD UR 17 WHAT MAKES YOU AN EXPERT ON WORK AND INDUSTRY MATTERS YOU NEED TO SIT AND WATCH THE SCREEN AND NOT SAY ANYTHING THAT'S JUST MY SUGGESTION

I'm not really sure what a NYC attitude is, but whatever. I was only telling you to stop with the caps because its difficult to read and in "internet world" its yelling and it makes you look belligerent. But i guess at this point you are being belligerent so it fits.

Yes, I'm 17 and my understanding of the industry is limited but there are a number of ATLANTA MODELS on this site whom I have spoken to and they're getting work there. Clearly Atlanta isn't a  city to work in because 1) it IS a respected city where models and photographers get work. 2) It's been said many times by several models and photographers that its a commercial city. From what I've learned its NY/LA then minor cities like Atl/miami/seattle

So I haven't said anything incorrect or farfetched but simply because I disagree with YOU I know nothing and I'm 17. 17 what do I know?  Thats a response from someone who has no agrument.

oh and my suggestion to you is stop bitching and move. Stop trying to tarnish Atlanta on your way out.

Jul 09 06 12:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ganeshkarma

New York, New York, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:

Dexter,
What they are trying to tell you is that typing in all caps in internet etiquette means  you are yelling at them. That is why people are shushhing you. It is considered in very bad taste.

I agree with you on Atlanta issue. Catalogue work in Atlanta is dying slowly. They have few houses left and they use in house photographers (I worked on shoots there). So it is kind of hopless.
As of crime in Atlanta. I know very well. I was carjacked at the gun point at 10 am.

Jul 09 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

filled in the balnks on sanchez form:)smile

I'm tired of modelmayhem, this town sucks! Everyone here wants something for free!  I'm heading back to the yellow pages. and a top of it they stole some of my jewlery

not sure if this works, but I filled in the blanks:)smilesmile

Jul 09 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

I'm not really sure what a NYC attitude is, but whatever. I was only telling you to stop with the caps because its difficult to read and in "internet world" its yelling and it makes you look belligerent. But i guess at this point you are being belligerent so it fits.

Yes, I'm 17 and my understanding of the industry is limited but there are a number of ATLANTA MODELS on this site whom I have spoken to and they're getting work there. Clearly Atlanta isn't a  city to work in because 1) it IS a respected city where models and photographers get work. 2) It's been said many times by several models and photographers that its a commercial city. From what I've learned its NY/LA then minor cities like Atl/miami/seattle
So I haven't said anything incorrect or farfetched but simply because I disagree with YOU I know nothing and I'm 17. 17 what do I know?  Thats a response from someone who has no agrument.

oh and my suggestion to you is stop bitching and move. Stop trying to tarnish Atlanta on your way out.

Hey you know what I'm very sorry just having a rough day here, You know with me losing my equipment and you are absolutely right about me shouting in the room and carrying on my appologies people no offence meant. and especially to you ELECTRA

Jul 09 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bump

Jul 09 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

touch market in most spots buddy... Just do your best and promote yourself fully like only YOU can and the work will come.

If you don't know  how to get yourself and your work out there, then that will go against you and getting work as well.
If you are relying on models for a steady stream of income, then you will surely learn quickly you will be forever broke.

As someone else said, get with some people who are looking to pay, boutique's, family portarits, weddings, corporate folks, so much stuff to do.
Tough part is finding it, but it can be found !!!!!!

Good Luck if you move to Florida...

Jul 09 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
ATL needs a damn airport that you dont need a scout and a tracker to find your damned gate.

That would be nice.  But, honestly, how could the busiest airport in the world be without major "issues"?  It simply comes with the territory.

Jul 09 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

obi wrote:
if a photographers contacts me for a shoot, that I don't feel is going to benefit me, why in the world would I pay him or her?

You mean photogs actually contact a model requesting to shoot with her and then turn around and charge her? That doesn't make sense. If you're contacting the model aren't you then gonna pay her? Just like if a model is contacting a photog?

Jul 10 06 12:53 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

SoVi-Southern Vitality

Houston, Texas, US

FacesByAni wrote:

gettin PAID probably depends all on your WORK and not your location right??
i think so...

Uh...no....has to do with BOTH

Jul 10 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

both

Jul 11 06 11:23 am Link