Forums > General Industry > am I kidding myself about this thong thing?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ok, I know I've stated it before, but I don't  like to allow pictures of me in thongs unless it's a side shot. Is this unreasonable in the glamour industry, because it seems like it's becoming a problem. Should I just give up on glamour altogether?

Jul 07 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

You should only do what you are comfortable with. Don't give up, just keep being firm. I have the same rule for thongs. A thong is a piece of string in the back, it's just like almost having your bare butt.

Jul 07 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:
Ok, I know I've stated it before, but I don't  like to allow pictures of me in thongs unless it's a side shot. Is this unreasonable in the glamour industry, because it seems like it's becoming a problem. Should I just give up on glamour altogether?

I had these same kind of stipulations when I first started then I got a contract to shoot a lingerie/swimsuit catalog... inlcuding thongs.  I did it, it wasnt that big of a deal.  Alot of girls start off having these sort of things (and I am not talking about the wild girls gone wild chicks that say to hell morals, but the girls that progress naturally in the industry) and shed inabitions.

Its really a decision you have to make for yourself but in my opinion its really not that serious.  I just remember, more clothes that come off, the harder I have to work to not look (for lack of a better word) slutty in the pictures.  Its a challege, that I like.  See avatar.

Jul 07 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cristal, that was well put. You should weigh on a case by case basis. If you get a modeling contract that pays well and publishes you, you might want to reconsider the inhibition for that job.

Jul 07 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

Dee,
It all depends on how you wear it. For instance: let's look at your portfolio: your first photo looks fine because it cuts right across where the curve of your hips begins, seperating the waist from the hips, the third photo cuts across the curve of the hip and cuts the hip in two, making it look larger. The 8th shot looks great because again, the strap cuts across the natural point where your hips and waist intersect.
Hope this helps, and BTW, you look gorgeous! Don't quit because you don't fit the cookie cutter mold, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman no matter what her size!

Good luck,

Rick

Jul 07 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

From a male standpoint... it's all the same except a full on back shot grabs the attention.  As long as you aren't in a suggestive position I don't see what the big deal is.  There are tasteful thong shots out there.  Look at Cristal's nice bootay.  That's not slutty at all... agree?

Jul 07 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BB INC wrote:
From a male standpoint... it's all the same except a full on back shot grabs the attention.  As long as you aren't in a suggestive position I don't see what the big deal is.  There are tasteful thong shots out there.  Look at Cristal's nice bootay.  That's not slutty at all... agree?

Nice of you to join us...

Jul 07 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

Alex C wrote:
Cristal, that was well put. You should weigh on a case by case basis. If you get a modeling contract that pays well and publishes you, you might want to reconsider the inhibition for that job.

Money... I tell you.

Jul 07 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Iain Daddy

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

dee740 wrote:

As a male photographer I can only give you the same advice I allways give to models who say "I don't like (insert body part here) so don't photograph it... assuming that you are "hetero" you are not a good judge of what looks good about the female form, now if you had slim hips, broad shoulders and a six pack you probaly would love to see yourself in a g-string.  I suggest you ask a cross section of males what you look like and get a response.  Alternatively, trust your photographer to get the best out of you, after all it's their reputation on the line as well.

Personally, as a male, I can't see a problem with your G-String photo.

All the best

Iain

Jul 07 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i would carefully rethink this in 06, you may find 99 girls that do take your place, but hey its YOUR choice, depends on how often you want to work.

Jul 07 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alex C wrote:

Its not just a money thing.  Everything can be done with class and I knew for a catalog, I wouldnt be bent over spreading my ass cheeks or whatever... it would be tasteful.  Some of the sluttiest pictures Ive seen have been with boyshorts or whole bottoms and its more in the pose and expression to make any outfit look like class or trash.  Glamour is about the body and urban glamour is about the ass.  These are the rules, love em or leave em!

Jul 07 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cristal, I agree! That's why considering case by case basis would be best. Definitely, catalogs do things tastefully.

Jul 07 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I think the thrust of the question was whether or not it was reasonable to expect that she should only do thong shots from the side.

My answer would be: If the shoot is a product shoot - you are going to be in a thong catalog, for example - then you need to show the product; front, back, side, whatever shows the product off best in the eyes of the client and photographer.

If you are doing anything else (say a beer ad), then you should have some leeway, unless a certain concept prohibits it.

In either case, if you're not comfortable with it, and the shoot calls for it, you'll be replaced with someone else.  Whether that is a risk you want to take or not depends on your particular convictions.

Jul 07 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:
I just remember, more clothes that come off, the harder I have to work to not look (for lack of a better word) slutty in the pictures.

Why would you want to not look slutty?  JK!!!!!  smile

Jul 07 06 04:20 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Iain Daddy wrote:
now if you had slim hips, broad shoulders and a six pack you probaly would love to see yourself in a g-string.  I suggest you ask a cross section of males what you look like and get a response.

LMAO. this was super funny, but yet probably true.

Jul 07 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060617/22/4494c7eebe030.jpg

this pic sends out just as strong of sex appeal as it would if you were turned around and had a thong because your body is LIKE THAT ::wink::

Jul 07 06 04:25 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

I had these same kind of stipulations when I first started then I got a contract to shoot a lingerie/swimsuit catalog... inlcuding thongs.  I did it, it wasnt that big of a deal.  Alot of girls start off having these sort of things (and I am not talking about the wild girls gone wild chicks that say to hell morals, but the girls that progress naturally in the industry) and shed inabitions.

Its really a decision you have to make for yourself but in my opinion its really not that serious.  I just remember, more clothes that come off, the harder I have to work to not look (for lack of a better word) slutty in the pictures.  Its a challege, that I like.  See avatar.

I recently did a online catalog  for a lingerie company and the thongs were tasteful and we were selling product. So I guess it is a case by case basis.

As for your avatar, it looks good, not slutty. But having 45 inch  hip/ass area makes me work not to look slutty with jeans on, let alone having a g-string in my ass. Since I am just starting maybe it's just extra hard for me right now. I just think there are so many sexy shots you can do with an ass this big  that don't require nekkidness or thongs.

Jul 07 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Joe Tomasone wrote:
I think the thrust of the question was whether or not it was reasonable to expect that she should only do thong shots from the side.

My answer would be: If the shoot is a product shoot - you are going to be in a thong catalog, for example - then you need to show the product; front, back, side, whatever shows the product off best in the eyes of the client and photographer.

If you are doing anything else (say a beer ad), then you should have some leeway, unless a certain concept prohibits it.

In either case, if you're not comfortable with it, and the shoot calls for it, you'll be replaced with someone else.  Whether that is a risk you want to take or not depends on your particular convictions.

If it were selling product I wouldn't mind it at all. Urban mag, can't see myself "thonging it", unless my name wasn't next to it and my face wasn't shown.

Jul 07 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:

Ready for some brutal honesty?

Personally, I LOVE your look, and your body type. But, let's be honest, your look is only going to get you certain types of work. I have range as a photographer, you have range as a model. And when someone looks at your port, and they want to hire you for paid work, they will want to utilize your strong points, which are your curves.

I'm not saying that you are not attractive. You are very attractive. But it is not where most of your strength lies. This is my personal opinion: As long as you are modeling, you will be asked to shoot in a thong, because your voluptuous body is your strong point. I would no sooner ask you to do runway work, than I would ask a taller, more slender european-type model to shoot for the cover of "Booty" magazine. That's the harsh reality. It may not be fair, it may not be right, but it's the way things are.

Jul 07 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:

If it were selling product I wouldn't mind it at all. Urban mag, can't see myself "thonging it", unless my name wasn't next to it and my face wasn't shown.

This is exactly what I am saying.  You can do a thong in ANY SITUATION including a urban mag and make it look classy.  The editor from KING actually told me to use the pic in my avatar as a month of my calendar as opposed to a sexier thong shot.  He said although its an ass, its different and classy and I would have to agree.  I bring certain morals into everything I do including thong urban magazine situations.

Jul 07 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Image K wrote:

Ready for some brutal honesty?

Personally, I LOVE your look, and your body type. But, let's be honest, your look is only going to get you certain types of work. I have range as a photographer, you have range as a model. And when someone looks at your port, and they want to hire you for paid work, they will want to utilize your strong points, which are your curves.

I'm not saying that you are not attractive. You are very attractive. But it is not where most of your strength lies. This is my personal opinion: As long as you are modeling, you will be asked to shoot in a thong, because your voluptuous body is your strong point. I would no sooner ask you to do runway work, than I would ask a taller, more slender european-type model to shoot for the cover of "Booty" magazine. That's the harsh reality. It may not be fair, it may not be right, but it's the way things are.

you're getting carried away. I know about the curves and all that. I don't mind doing glamour either ....as long as my ass ain't bare. That's all I'm saying. I'm not into fashion, it just ain't gonna happen, and that desire died a while ago. But I am interested in commercial stuff and some glamour. It's not unfair that they want to utilize the curves, but I guess I just figured with my type of curves, they really don't need to be totally undone to make it pop.

Jul 07 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

dee740

What about your breasts?  They are huge... people have been telling you that all your big boob life.  You show your cleavage so what if 90% of your paid gigs want you to show cleavage/tight fitting shirts etc.?  Sort of the same thing but more obvious right now. LOL!

Jul 07 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Alex C wrote:
You should only do what you are comfortable with. Don't give up, just keep being firm. I have the same rule for thongs. A thong is a piece of string in the back, it's just like almost having your bare butt.

Just finished a shoot for a local swimwear designer who's just starting out and a bit of clarification, a string bottom is a string in the back, technically a thong still has some cloth back there (I didn't realize the difference either).  I was informed by the stylist that she preferred thongs in swimwear and strings under clothes (cuz they leave less lines).
Personally, I wouldn't wanna wear either unless you paid me some serious bucks...LOL

Jul 07 06 04:51 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:

you're getting carried away. I know about the curves and all that. I don't mind doing glamour either ....as long as my ass ain't bare. That's all I'm saying. I'm not into fashion, it just ain't gonna happen, and that desire died a while ago. But I am interested in commercial stuff and some glamour. It's not unfair that they want to utilize the curves, but I guess I just figured with my type of curves, they really don't need to be totally undone to make it pop.

He is right a little.  Your body and the glamour market is going to be your ticket.  You have to embrace the standards and just find a way to put the classy Dee stamp on it.  Good luck!

Jul 07 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BB INC wrote:
dee740

What about your breasts?  They are huge... people have been telling you that all your big boob life.  You show your cleavage so what if 90% of your paid gigs want you to show cleavage/tight fitting shirts etc.?  Sort of the same thing but more obvious right now. LOL!

I guess I'm funny like that. Boobs are not considered as sexy in the urban community (in general), that's why I guess I don't care. But everyone is different. I'm not going to say it isn't hypocritical of me though. It is.

Jul 07 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:

I understand, and did not mean to offend, in any way. If you want to take a stand, and not shoot in a thong, that's a cost-benefit analysis that only you can make.

Let me make another point. I hear a lot of African-American models on MM saying the same thing: "Why is it that photographers want the booty shot from me"?
But I look at their port, and at least half of them are ass shots. If African-American models want to end the perception of "just another big booty", than stop giving in to the pressure, and the perception will go away.

But that won't happen, will it? And...we all know why.

Jul 07 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

dee740 wrote:

I guess I'm funny like that. Boobs are not considered as sexy in the urban community (in general), that's why I guess I don't care. But everyone is different. I'm not going to say it isn't hypocritical of me though. It is.

Are you kidding me?? BOOBS are just as sexy in this market. 
This is the male eye scanning: FACE... BOOBS... STOMACH and as soon as you walk past we look for ass.  LOL!  In your avatar I scanned that exact same route.  And you scored a 70 out of 100.  LOL!

Jul 07 06 05:02 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:

So you'll let loose what is not considered so sexy and keep what is all bottled up?

I'm just messin with ya!...kinda

Jul 07 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Image K wrote:

I understand, and did not mean to offend, in any way. If you want to take a stand, and not shoot in a thong, that's a cost-benefit analysis that only you can make.

Let me make another point. I hear a lot of African-American models on MM saying the same thing: "Why is it that photographers want the booty shot from me"?
But I look at their port, and at least half of them are ass shots. If African-American models want to end the perception of "just another big booty", than stop giving in to the pressure, and the perception will go away.

But that won't happen, will it? And...we all know why.

well, I try to keep my swimsuit and lingerie shots to a minimum. But I understand as well as anyone that if glamour's all you have in your port, that's the only type of work offers you'll receive. I try to keep it diverse.

Jul 07 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BB INC wrote:

Are you kidding me?? BOOBS are just as sexy in this market. 
This is the male eye scanning: FACE... BOOBS... STOMACH and as soon as you walk past we look for ass.  LOL!  In your avatar I scanned that exact same route.  And you scored a 70 out of 100.  LOL!

and legs...dont forget the legs...

Jul 07 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

Cristal Steverson wrote:

and legs...dont forget the legs...

Legs = supplement for lack of breasts or ass.  LMAO!  Real talk.

Jul 07 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Rick had a very good point, and so did Cristal.  Ah hell most of the posters did.

I'm male but I think some women have hang ups that until they see quality shots of what they think is a bad part adn until then they prefer not to show that angle or pose.

Do it when you feel comfortable with it and hopefully not doing it want knock you out of to many jobs.

Jul 07 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:

well, I try to keep my swimsuit and lingerie shots to a minimum. But I understand as well as anyone that if glamour's all you have in your port, that's the only type of work offers you'll receive. I try to keep it diverse.

That's cool. You're doing great. I LOVE your work, and I know that you're serious about it.

I hope that you will shoot with me if you are ever in Las Vegas! I wouldn't ask you to shoot from any angle that you were not comfortable with. You have plenty to offer.

Jul 07 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

dee740 wrote:

Nothing against you but I think you need to get this paper for your strong points and when you get tired of all that money... do some of the things you really want to do because your body is your selling point.  You aren't ugly or cute.  You're pretty but your face is not what grabs the eye in the package.  Not to sound like this is off subject but I think you should just do a REALLY HOT THONG shot so people will shut up with the request and it will challenge them to do something different or hotter and become a better salesman in order to convince you to do another.  LOL (this is not a personal request but an autographed pic would be nice).  LOL!

Jul 07 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dee740 wrote:

All of this is nice, but it is not really realistic.
At 36dd you can have on a cableknit turtleneck sweater and men are going to look at your boobs.  As a model, you may as well take the sweater off, put on a bikini top, make the money, and keep it movin!

Same thing with the ass, if you got on your best woolen slacks and guys are drooling over your ass on your lunch break, might as well make them pay.

Jul 07 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

So you'll let loose what is not considered so sexy and keep what is all bottled up?

I'm just messin with ya!...kinda

I guess it's because so many ass shots look lewd. I'm the same way in real life. When i go out I'll do a little cleavage, but  I tone down the ass "situation" cause it causes too many problems,lol. No shorts.

Jul 07 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

Cristal Steverson wrote:

At 36dd you can have on a cableknit turtleneck sweater and men are going to look at your boobs.  As a model, you may as well take the sweater off, put on a bikini top, make the money, and keep it movin!

Kimora?  Hi... my name is Russell!

Jul 07 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

There is a lot of truth here. Bottom line: Play the hand that was dealt to you!

Jul 07 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

Same thing with the ass, if you got on your best woolen slacks and guys are drooling over your ass on your lunch break, might as well make them pay.

LMAO...literally. Maybe I will.

Jul 07 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

BB INC

Scroll up to my last post... lol

Jul 07 06 05:19 pm Link