Forums > General Industry > My first flake....

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Uhg, and I booked and paid for a location for tomorrow and I find out at 1:30 in the morning via email....

What the fuck is wrong with people....

Jul 07 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
Uhg, and I booked and paid for a location for tomorrow and I find out at 1:30 in the morning via email....

WOW...you got notice BEFORE the shoot was supposed to start?
You're LUCKY!

Jul 07 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Martin Grainger

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom

Name and shame.....

Jul 07 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

In your profile you wrote: “I'm a Director of Photography for mostly commercial products and independent films, however I recently have returned my attention to still photography…”

You’ve been spoiled by all those agency girls.  Welcome to the real world of art photography.

Jul 07 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Randy S Drake

Anaheim, California, US

Hate to say it, but get used to it!

Jul 07 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

This wasn't art - it was a paid (well paid) shoot!

Jul 07 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I mostly shoot in-town TFCD at outdoor locations without MUA's, so no one's out any money because of a flake or no-show. As such, I can "suck it up" and move on to the next.

I would be very nervous if I had to pay for anything in advance like a studio, MUA, or airfare, especially if it was a model I had not worked with before. How do others manage this risk, mentally and financially?

Is redundancy/overbooking the answer?

Jul 07 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Welcome to the real world ... bet you'd never worked with the person before.

Don't take it personally, just move on to the next and consider the bucks down the toilet as tuition.

Jul 07 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:
I mostly shoot in-town TFCD at outdoor locations without MUA's, so no one's out any money because of a flake or no-show. As such, I can "suck it up" and move on to the next.

I would be very nervous if I had to pay for anything in advance like a studio, MUA, or airfare, especially if it was a model I had not worked with before. How do others manage this risk, mentally and financially?

Is redundancy/overbooking the answer?

Not sure what the answer is, but I've been very lucky so far.  I tend towards TF that won't cost money because of that as well.  I'm planning on doing a studio rental with MUA etc.  So for that I'll probably book a couple of models and hope whoever the MUA is doesn't flake.   Ideally you would want to get people you've previously worked with in order to know their level of professionalism.

I'm doing a shoot tomorrow where my wardrobe stylist flaked on me, but the show must go on!  Ultimately, you accept it as the nature of 'net kiddies and move on.

Jul 07 06 11:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

is there no possibility of replacing her? if it is a paid shoot, it shouldn't be too hard.

Jul 07 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

...and I'll bet it was with an Internet 'model'...
What's wrong with them is that, for the majority, modeling is just a giggly, ego game and not taken seriously. If I were you (I don't work with these), I'd get an appearance deposit using paypal or the like...

John

Jul 07 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Isn't paying money out up front based on a model's word that they will show up similar to extending credit? A photographer has to decide if a model is worth the risk. The same would be true for a model that is "banking" on a photographer showing up.

What if there were a voluntary certification program that anyone in the industry could join, under the agreement that their performance be reported by and available to other members, sort of like a credit report or BBB rating?

Photograhers that are concerned about flake losses could insist on certified models and check their "score" ahead of time.

Jul 07 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Nala Mills

Chicago, Illinois, US

That's a shame. It makes it harder for models that are looking for paid work and would actually show up.

Jul 07 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

List her ass on www.theibl.com then move on big_smile

Jul 07 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Andy McBang

Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada

rp_photo wrote:
What if there were a voluntary certification program that anyone in the industry could join, under the agreement that their performance be reported by and available to other members, sort of like a credit report or BBB rating?

Photograhers that are concerned about flake losses could insist on certified models and check their "score" ahead of time.

I'm no expert (in anything, just ask my dad...), but that actually sounds like a great idea. It could wrk both ways (models and photographers) It would probably take a while for such a system to gain recognition and 'street cred' though. Also, it could fall victim to childish 'flaming' over small personal biases that could hurt reputations unjustly...

Jul 07 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Yes to all of the above.

I'm trying to replace her but all of the models I've worked with are booked or busy.  She cancelled via email at 1:30 in the morning for a shoot that was supposed to start two hours from now....

Jul 07 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"Ahh! You broke your cherry!"

(Pauly, Goodfellas)

Jul 07 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
Isn't paying money out up front based on a model's word that they will show up similar to extending credit? A photographer has to decide if a model is worth the risk.

Makes sense to me.  Putting money on unproven talent is a gamble.  Win some, lose some.

Jul 07 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

as johnny taylor used to say "a man needs a pair & a spare" so always book backup, cause net models will flake on ya. you're fortunate you got an email @130am. most of em don't even bother to do that.

next time, book thru the agency, and save yourself some potential grief. cause this will happen again, but not if you overbook or have 2-3 models on standby.

Strat

Jul 07 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

TKat

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had my first flake for a shoot yesterday too! but no one called me, i just got a message last night Long after. and it was a paid shoot too sad so photographers are not the only ones who get ditched without notice

Jul 07 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Strat...

I have always wondered about this.  How do you go about logistically dealing with/setting up having models on standby? 

If you have a 2pm shoot and the model doesn't show by 2:30, do you place a call to your standby model asking them to come in?  Do you let them know in advance that they are only pinch hitting and might get a call?  Do you get them to also show up to the shoot just in case they might get shot?   Finally - how would it make a model feel to know they are only the 'backup talent'? 

I am genuinely curious because I have never attempted it before.  Flaked only once in a big way so wasn't burned a lot.  But I am curious how you go about setting this sort of thing up.

Jul 07 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Avicdar wrote:
"Ahh! You broke your cherry!"

(Pauly, Goodfellas)

I hate that expression....

signed Matthew Cherry (real name)

Knickname in highschool was Buster - hated that too

Jul 07 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

This is why I overbook models for EVERY shoot... and I've NEVER had too many show up that I couldn't pay them all.  When you not only have one, but SEVERAL photographers depending upon you... a few no-shows on a relatively small shoot can put some SERIOUS egg on your face.  Learned that lesson well over 10 years ago.  I've overbooked this Sunday's shoot by 2 models... we'll see who flakes... wink

Jul 07 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

just hit the agencies.  i wouldn't screw around with internet models, especially if i had to pay for location.

Jul 07 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I hate that expression....

signed Matthew Cherry (real name)

Knickname in highschool was Buster - hated that too

I feel your pain.

Mike Cummings

Jul 07 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

LMAO!!!

Thanks, I needed a laugh!

Jul 07 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

I feel your pain.

Mike Cummings

I knew a kid in high school named Grant Seamen. True story.

Jul 07 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

a flake is a no call, no show...

you were cancelled on...it happens..

at least you weren't sitting there waiting...

Jul 07 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Thanks for the clarification.

Jul 07 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well I think I dodged a bullet.  After weeks of advertising for New York models
for a location shoot.  I gave all those I planned to pay and a few TFP models
a deadline to contact me again to reconfirm.  I'm in Texas and its a long flight.
Only a total of five wrote back.  To make it work I felt I needed at least nine.
Thinking that at least three of those would flake.  I was paying.  Not a lot but
even when the models contacted me about shooting they wouldn't return calls
or e-mails.  I'd be pissed to make the trip for that kind of bull.  I can't totally blame
the models this site has had a few tech issues but everyone had my phone number
and my hotmail address.  This on-line model recruitment is hard work.  A model
wrote and asked me why I needed at least nine models.  Well after three to four
of those models either don't show, or call.  I'd be lucky to get five models.

Jul 07 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Albert Urso Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

That cherry exchange was frigin funny!

Jul 07 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Big bowl, drop all the flakes in it , add milk ! Breakfast ....... after some time your ability to sniff out flakes gets very good.

My tips .... First e-mail invite to contact off MM, no contact for 2 days from the point I send e-mail from my non MM address - 80 % flake factor, not serious about modeling.

FA

Jul 07 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

so what happens if that model's mother had just died and she had to cancel that late. does that make her a flake? does that mean she's unprofessional?

just wondering. i obviously don;t know the details, just as no one else knows the details, so how is it that people throw that term around so quickly?

Jul 07 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Since it was a paid shoot sounds more like nerves or something seriously came up.

Jul 07 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

She did say that she had a personal problem and had to go out of town, so we'll see what happens.

I had plenty of contact with her, we collaborated on the idea, the location we wrote, we spoke on the phone....

Perhaps this is just my frustration.  I've found another model so I dodged that bullet.  I'll give this other one another chance maybe...

Jul 07 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

I've had a few models not show................but very few
Think its best to over book if you can

Jul 07 06 02:28 pm Link

Model

Sweeney

St Paul, Alberta, Canada

You should give midwest models a try

Jul 07 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

dissolvegirl wrote:

I knew a kid in high school named Grant Seamen. True story.

Went to school with a Carl Wunderlich..pronounced wonderlick

Jul 07 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Sinsazia wrote:

Went to school with a Carl Wunderlich..pronounced wonderlick

No kidding?... there was a kid in my freshman History class named Semore Butts... wink

Jul 07 06 10:44 pm Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

Select Models wrote:

No kidding?... there was a kid in my freshman History class named Semore Butts... wink

Also went to school with Anita Mann.  She looked like one too.  Nice girl though.

Jul 08 06 08:19 am Link