Forums > General Industry > To USE or NOT to use the flash on your camera...

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

I've see photographers or GWC's work/pictures that use their flash when taking pictures, most of them are very noticable. I prefer natural lighting and studio lighting as my make up tends to reflect the light and not match my body when using a direct flash of light.

Photograhers, is using the flash a bad thing???

To USE or NOT to use that is the question.

:::Coco:::
http://www.myspace.com/cocofromhouston
GetCoco.NET coming soon

Jul 04 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Usually..

There's circumstances where it can be put to good effect (usually as fill to suppliment other lighting).. But even then it's easy to screw up..

If there weren't uses they wouldn't make them.. And the irony is a pro might use one too (and thus look just like a GWC) until you get the final shots..

My results with them have been very mixed..  But in some circumstances (shooting outdoors when you have to travel light).. Having the option beats not having the option..

Jul 04 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use off-camera fill flash outside, but never with the on-camera flash. They suck ! haha. But I do use off camera flash triggered by a wireless radio slave, sometimes I will use my studio lights and a softbox or open-head flash to do outdoor location work.

Jul 04 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Fischer

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

There is nothing wrong  with flash if you know how to use it. Todays outdoor fashion shoots are nearly 100% shot with fill light. It may not be the flash on the camera, however it could be, if the user knows how to balance with ambient light. It short, use it if its needed and let the shadows fall where they may. I suspect your comments are from your experience with
folks that just don't know how or when to use it. 

That's my 2 cents..

Jul 04 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

i have 2  xtra flash. they swivel  twist  and everything in between.. if i use them outdoor  i got a reflector as xtra otherwise i dont it just messes up the whole thing. if i travel light i just bring my lil soft box/difuser............ but its funny when i spend the day printing stuff from other fotog where  its a different shade from the neck down...... but i just love available light its just cool!!!

Jul 04 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Ron Fischer wrote:
It short, use it if its needed and let the shadows fall where they may. I suspect your comments are from your experience with
folks that just don't know how or when to use it. 

That's my 2 cents..

Yes, and it upseted me when I seen the images afterward they were very good BUT THAT STUPID FLASH, he could have just used the sun light because it was near dusk time.

Jul 04 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

KEVIN HILL wrote:
i have 2  xtra flash. they swivel  twist  and everything in between.. if i use them outdoor  i got a reflector as xtra otherwise i dont it just messes up the whole thing. if i travel light i just bring my lil soft box/difuser............ but its funny when i spend the day printing stuff from other fotog where  its a different shade from the neck down...... but i just love available light its just cool!!!

Agreed.. I REALLY prefer using speedlite style flashes remotely.. And best through an umbrella.. 

My avatar is both a good and bad example..  I wanted a kind of "moonlight from off camera" effect.. So set up a 60" umbrella off to the side pointed the flash into it and then had her looking away..  So it's kind of the opposite of fill flash.. But I like the way the umbrella softens shadows and expands the light..  (In theory just using the flash off camera wouldn't have been completely different, but if there were any shadows they would have been very harsh and sharp..)

Downside to reflectors and umbrellas and such?  First time I set one up outdoors (real outdoors not a backyard or enclosure).. A wind gusted up, knocked it over and mangled the hell out of my umbrella..

So it goes..

Jul 04 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Coco from Houston wrote:
I've see photographers or GWC's work/pictures that use their flash when taking pictures, most of them are very noticable. I prefer natural lighting and studio lighting as my make up tends to reflect the light and not mach my body when using a direct flash of light.

Coco

If you're being paid in cash for the modeling work, what kind of lighting the photog uses really doesn't matter -- you're there for the cash, not the photos.

If you're shooting TFP and are counting on using the pictures in your portfolio, I would be very cautious about photogs who shoot with a flash on camera. It IS possible to use on-camera flash artfully, particularly when just using it as fill-flash. But more typically, the results are ugly and lacking in quality, and are unlikely to be useful to you.

Generally, I think models are better off judging a photographer by the images in his or her portfolio, rather than by the way he looks, or the type of studio or location he uses, or the kind of camera, the kind of lighting, etc, etc, etc. There is some pretty amazing work done by some photogs who are wierd, and who use wierd techniques -- what matters is what the pictures look like -- not how they get there.

Jul 04 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I've never gotten great results from using on-camera flash, but I've seen other photographers who consistantly get terrific results from on-camera flash.  It comes down to judging photographers by their pictures, not by their equipment.

Jul 04 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Of course there are situations where an on-camera flash is appropriate.  There are many more situations where it is inappropriate.

Knowing when to use or not use a flash is part of the craft.  Becoming an artist requires you learn how and when to make those judgements.

Jul 04 06 06:33 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

bang bang photo wrote:

If you're being paid in cash for the modeling work, what kind of lighting the photog uses really doesn't matter -- you're there for the cash, not the photos...

...Generally, I think models are better off judging a photographer by the images in his or her portfolio, rather than by the way he looks, or the type of studio or location he uses, or the kind of camera, the kind of lighting, etc, etc, etc. There is some pretty amazing work done by some photogs who are wierd, and who use wierd techniques -- what matters is what the pictures look like -- not how they get there.

Please understand that am not judging the pictures with anything than the images themself....
     And I do know about ppl that shoot from there homes or just with a back drop and those images come out terrific. I'm just upset at why do some use the flash on their camera and know that the pictures (on their digital camera) are not coming out right!

Jul 04 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Lit primarily by on-camera flash:

https://www.briandiazphotography.com/flash.jpg

Jul 04 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

You know it just depends on they guy behind the camera... A good photographer is a good photographer weather he is using a DSLR that cost $5000, with a lens that cost $3000 or if you give him a $200 P&S digital camera. It is his eye that gives him what it takes to compose a great photo.. in that photo, he might use what ever kind of lighting the he needs to get the shot.
sure on camera or a speedlight can be a little annoying compared to studio lighting, but the end results are what counts...

Jul 05 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

This image was lit with my on camera flash. I was shooting near Jacksonville Florida and I don't know how I left my speed light at the hotel, but I did. I almost didn't even shoot because I had never liked the look of on camera flash.

It was a sunset shoot so I only had a few minutes before the background would be too dark.

I was impressed how well it worked. I haven't had to use the on camera flash sense but I will not write it off as the devil any more.

I did eventually remove the shadows form this image.

https://www.jaysonpolansky.com/images/DSC_8762_edit.jpg

Jul 09 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I'm not a big fan of flash, as long as you have good studio lighting around you or a good source of natural light you shouldn't really need it

Jul 09 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

From a pay gig. Built-in flash on the D70.

https://www.blindmike.com/images/20050929110257_bill10_full.jpg

It's only a bad thing if you don't know what you're doing.

Jul 09 06 11:04 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

The images you guys are posting are very nice! I cant even tell that its on camera flash! I not a big fan of it (because) I havent had the right photog. to shoot with it.

Jul 10 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Andre Ainsworth

London, England, United Kingdom

There is always a time and place for flash when used properly.

I used flash here for a bit of fill and I think it worked ok.

https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060324/12/442438cbc3d30.jpg

Jul 10 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 10 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

JJD Productions wrote:
I will add another outdoor image with the onboard flash from a Canon 10D was used for fill.  Generally, indoor shots should not have the onboard flash directed straight at the model and this is particularly true with if the model has dark skin.  If you see a lot skin shine and harsh flash reflected straight back to the camera, ask the photog to difuse the flash by placing an opaque material in front of it or by bouncing the flash off the ceiling.
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060105/10/43bd5028f020e.jpg

I think thats a very good idea for all photog's that may not have the tools a lot of you exerienced photog's have.

Jul 10 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

on-camera flash:

https://www.christopherbush.com/kathy_pola.jpg
https://www.christopherbush.com/kat_pola.jpg

Jul 10 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Generally, I think models are better off judging a photographer by the images in his or her portfolio, rather than by the way he looks, or the type of studio or location he uses, or the kind of camera, the kind of lighting, etc, etc, etc. There is some pretty amazing work done by some photogs who are wierd, and who use wierd techniques -- what matters is what the pictures look like -- not how they get there.

I use a flash mounted in my camera's hot shoe nearlly all the time. Go look and see if you can tell. I'd RATHER use a reflector but with no assistant I can't be mobile enough. Also most models can't stand the ammount of light I like with a reflector so I've just settled on the flash. And OCCASSIONALLY I even use the built in one in a pinch. If you know what you are doing and the effect you want then you can use anything. If not..well.. good luck no matter waht you are using. And Available light to me is horrible EXCEPT in sunrise/set or for B&W on an overcast day. Even then the eyses look dead if noting is reflecting back in them.
Mike

Jul 10 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lindsay A. Moleirinho

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Like everyone else has been saying, flash on camera can be useful if the photographer knows what they are doing.

Alot of wedding photographers have to use their flash because it's all they have access to, but there's definatley a technique when doing it.
When indoors, a great technique is using bounce flash so it ends up looking alot more natural.

alot of the examples that people have been showing are great...

Jul 10 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
on-camera flash:

https://www.christopherbush.com/kathy_pola.jpg
https://www.christopherbush.com/kat_pola.jpg

Yeah but those pics look too "washed out" and thats not the look that I was orginally going for... I guess it all about what you plan.

Jul 10 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Coco from Houston wrote:

Yeah but those pics look too "washed out" and thats not the look that I was orginally going for... I guess it all about what you plan.

that's the point.  anything looks good if done with style.

Jul 10 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

The big problem is that for every ten photographers that know how to use on-camera flash there are probably a million 'photographers' who don't.  And the latter aren't going to post their works of art here.

Jul 10 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

J T Smith

Pittsfield, Illinois, US

Coco from Houston wrote:

:::Coco:::
GetCoco.NET coming soon

If you know what your doing with it, then it works. If you don't, and spray and pray with them like a GWC you will end up with results like a GWC.

The answer is.... know when to use, how to use, and what it can do for you, before you can decide to use it or lose it.

J T

Jul 10 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Using on camera or on a bracket I've used flash for many years shooting weddings.....still use it for portraits, headshots, port shots....trick is to learn how to balance the flash with ambient light.....just make sure in 2-3 stops below that of the ambient light to preserve the natural look of the photos.....if you use it on 1 to 1.....makes the photo look fake....like you pasted someone on the background.

Jul 10 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

CLW Photography

Troy, Michigan, US

As previously mentioned, on camera flash works if used properly. However, I think a great misunderstanding is what are we talking about here.

Are we referring to the "build-in" flash of the camera OR a separate shoe-mount flash that may or may not be attached to the camera?

If we are talking about the lil' flash that pops up from the camera I would say the photographer is not experienced and/or is in a desparate situation because their other gear is broken, stollen, or left at home/office.

If we are talking detachable flash units (hotshoe), those can be used just like studio flash units, but with less power. All of the images in my port are light with detachable flash units. I do own studio lighting, but I rarely use it because my work is primarily location driven.

Jul 10 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I recently did a magazine shoot where I tried to only use natural light and reflectors - I think it was one of the best shoots I've done.
but I think that flash, when used well can give fantastic results too - I think anyway you get a photo is cool if the photo works in the end
Paul

Jul 10 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

the cow girls shot in my port is from that shoot by the way.

Jul 10 06 03:41 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

CLW Photography wrote:
As previously mentioned, on camera flash works if used properly. However, I think a great misunderstanding is what are we talking about here.

Are we referring to the "build-in" flash of the camera OR a separate shoe-mount flash that may or may not be attached to the camera?

If we are talking about the lil' flash that pops up from the camera I would say the photographer is not experienced and/or is in a desparate situation because their other gear is broken, stollen, or left at home/office.

If we are talking detachable flash units (hotshoe), those can be used just like studio flash units, but with less power. All of the images in my port are light with detachable flash units. I do own studio lighting, but I rarely use it because my work is primarily location driven.

I'm referring to the "build-in" flash of the camera.

Jul 10 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

The second and third photos in my port, (Maria, back swimsuit and the woman in sunglasses), are both flash photography.  When used in the right context, it can produce some amazing high fashion looks.

Jul 10 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

The second and third photos in my port, (Maria, back swimsuit and the woman in sunglasses), are both flash photography.  When used in the right context, it can produce some amazing high fashion looks.

Jul 10 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jul 10 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jul 10 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jul 10 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

FILL-FLASH FOREVER! (never leave home without it)

All the photos in this set were taken with on-camera fill-flash.

http://gadgetmodels.i4u.com/gadget_phot … humbs.html

To see these same models shot by hundreds of GWC's WITHOUT on-camera flash Go here:

http://www.e3girls.com/newphotos.cfm?st … &query=new

big_smile

All outdoor shots of my last two Gadget Models were shot with flash:

Hey, I love to use only natural light whenever I can.  But a secluded beach with two assistants to hold the reflectors and no one around doesn't happen very often when I'm out shooting somewhere on a regular basis.  Having assistants is a problem in itself, and people EVERYWHERE is a huge problem.  No matter how "invisible" I try to be, as soon as I start shooting, I get a crowd.  I need to get the shots and get out.  Setting up or holding up reflectors anywhere around people is not fun.

-Glenn

Jul 10 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I'll offer another explanation for the photographer not having a flash mounted to the shoe of the camera - he's a hobbyist who hasn't forked up yet for proper flash equipment.

Hi.

Anyway, you do what you can do get done what you want to get done the best that you can. If you need fill and the camera is all you got, that's what you do.

Now that I have forked up, yeah, I sure don't mind using flash when the situation calls for it, and I'm more than happy to leave that in-camera flash behind.

I really prefer natural light. But sometimes that sun just doesn't cooperate. I was out for a sunrise shoot with Whitney, but the sunrise was our no-show. We kept on shooting.

These two photos are unedited, except for cropping. Test shot without flash:

https://justinonimus.com/without-flash.jpg

Test shot with flash:

https://justinonimus.com/with-flash.jpg

Sometimes in dimmer light or in shadows, you need a little fill.

Jul 10 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

All of my outside shots use a flash. Like it better than reflectors as the models do not squint as much.

Jul 10 06 09:22 pm Link