Forums > General Industry > To USE or NOT to use the flash on your camera...

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I use mine only as a trigger to activate an external flash.

Jul 10 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

CoCo,

This all seems very simple to me.

1. If you see a noticable flash, and you don't like it, don't work with that person.
2. If your makeup doesn't match your skin under flash, consider hiring a MUA.
3. If the images you get from your photographer look "too washed out" and that's "not the look you were going for," then you are a client and art director with a specific image that you want, which means you should be paying a photographer who is able to deliver that image.

Dave

Coco from Houston wrote:
I've see photographers or GWC's work/pictures that use their flash when taking pictures, most of them are very noticable. I prefer natural lighting and studio lighting as my make up tends to reflect the light and not match my body when using a direct flash of light.

Photograhers, is using the flash a bad thing???

To USE or NOT to use that is the question.

:::Coco:::
http://www.myspace.com/cocofromhouston
GetCoco.NET coming soon

Coco from Houston wrote:
Yeah but those pics look too "washed out" and thats not the look that I was orginally going for... I guess it all about what you plan.

Jul 10 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

I hate using on camera flash. I am a natural man. 98% of the time if I am using a flash on the camera, I am either bouncing it or using the Lightsphere II on it.

Jul 10 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell Lee

Springfield, Vermont, US

Coco from Houston wrote:
The images you guys are posting are very nice! I cant even tell that its on camera flash! I not a big fan of it (because) I havent had the right photog. to shoot with it.

Also, it could be your makeup. Avoid the types of powder with the spreckles as that often creates hot spots. Also you want flat foundations and non-shiny make up to avoid reflections and blown highlights as dslr's are more sensitive.

Jul 10 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

You mentioned you were talking about the built in pop-up flash on the camera. Those are the worst light sources available. I'd only use it in an extreme pinch when I just needed a snapshot to document something, never for a creative shot.

But, I almost always use a speedlight flash on an off shoe bracket. Just about every shot in my port uses a fill flash unit, as did this one.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060523/18/44739812ae375.jpg

Jul 11 06 04:20 pm Link