Forums > General Industry > models with drug problems

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Doesn't this take a serious toll on your appearance? How do they pull it off?

Certain top models who've been in rehab recently come to mind. Are they somehow immune to its effects, or are the effects just skillfully hidden?

Jul 02 06 10:24 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Hidden by photoshop and plastic surgery dahling wink

Jul 02 06 10:26 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Hidden by photoshop and plastic surgery dahling wink

But doesn't there come a point where the extra work hiding flaws isn't worth it, when they just start choosing healthier girls? I wonder how far gone a model has to be for that to happen.

Jul 02 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
But doesn't there come a point where the extra work hiding flaws isn't worth it, when they just start choosing healthier girls? I wonder how far gone a model has to be for that to happen.

Well, when the teeth start to fall out, it does have a hindering effect on the modeling career.

Jul 02 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Oh come on, you can photoshop in teeth.  Hell, I've done it.

Jul 03 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
Oh come on, you can photoshop in teeth.  Hell, I've done it.

If I do it, the model will look like Bababooey when I'm done.

Jul 03 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Nope. Look at what happened to Gia Carangi. She died from AIDS.

Jul 03 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I had a model who was hooked on ritalin--she kept joking around the whole time...

(if at first you do not get this joke, read it again, very slowly...)

Jul 03 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

when big companies use supermodels, they don't pay that price tag because the model is actually any better looking, they're paying for the name and the recognizability that comes with the specific model.

so, yeah, it's worth it to put 100 hours of retouching into a big-name model who looks like hell when she shows up on set, rather than use a no-name just to save a couple bucks.

Jul 03 06 01:14 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

From what I've heard, it just makes extra work for the makeup artists.  (And does NOT make them happy about it!)

Jul 03 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Yeah like 20 years ago.

Jul 03 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Doesn't this take a serious toll on your appearance? How do they pull it off?

Certain top models who've been in rehab recently come to mind. Are they somehow immune to its effects, or are the effects just skillfully hidden?

Heck, I have far more problems with models not getting enough sleep the night before...that always takes a serious toll. And it get's covered up the same way-with extra creativity by all.

Jul 03 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Nerlande wrote:

Yeah like 20 years ago.

And 20 years later it's still a reality. While times have changed, it's technology, global warming, chasing the world etc that has overshadowed the AIDS issue that still do exist. People are still gettng this disease, in most lifestyles.

Katt Moss who is on drugs could just as easily went and use a needle with another user.

The fact that drugs still continue to play a role in the modeling industry makes the models mune to AIDS and many other things.

Jul 08 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

And 20 years later it's still a reality. While times have changed, it's technology, global warming, chasing the world etc that has overshadowed the AIDS issue that still do exist. People are still gettng this disease, in most lifestyles.

Katt Moss who is on drugs could just as easily went and use a needle with another user.

The fact that drugs still continue to play a role in the modeling industry makes the models mune to AIDS and many other things.

"The fact that drugs still continue to play a role in the modeling industry makes the models mune to AIDS and many other things."

Please clarify.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 08 06 03:31 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Legacys 7 wrote:

Yes - the drugs are yet another pitfall in the fashion industry.  Has anyone here ever read the biography of Gia (or at least seen the movie with Angelina Jolie)?  Not funny at all.

I was discussing this issue with my mentor some time ago.  His comment to me was that these girls are given an incredible chance and they waste it by getting "strung out" on drugs.  He knew Gia personally.  On the other hand, it can't help but break your heart - even just a little bit.  It's like some Greek tragedy . . .

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 08 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

JAY carreon wrote:

"The fact that drugs still continue to play a role in the modeling industry makes the models mune to AIDS and many other things."

Please clarify.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

it's self explainitory.

Jul 08 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

JAY carreon wrote:

Yes - the drugs are yet another pitfall in the fashion industry.  Has anyone here ever read the biography of Gia (or at least seen the movie with Angelina Jolie)?  Not funny at all.

I was discussing this issue with my mentor some time ago.  His comment to me was that these girls are given an incredible chance and they waste it by getting "strung out" on drugs.  He knew Gia personally.  On the other hand, it can't help but break your heart - even just a little bit.  It's like some Greek tragedy . . .

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

I have the movie. But knew about her way before the movie. I remember when she was alive.

Jul 08 06 04:08 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Legacys 7 wrote:

it's self explainitory.

"mune" as in "immune"?

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 08 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

JAY carreon wrote:

Mune?  Jay, you know, the opposite of immune.  : )

Not that this helps it make any sense ....

beats me!

Jul 08 06 09:20 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

who in the hell gets on drugs thse days? that says so much about the person. I would definitely think the model was actually crazy, unreliable, and had a self steem problem.

Jul 08 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Jul 08 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

dee740 wrote:
who in the hell gets on drugs thse days? that says so much about the person. I would definitely think the model was actually crazy, unreliable, and had a self steem problem.

The problem is that it still continues. That's like me asking how in the hell did that girl get on crack. Crazy, unreliable and self esteem problems is one thing. But drug habits 'these days' is still a common problem that hasn't disappeared. So it's not like it was a fad of yesterday. Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell are two examples of the many models who do take drugs. It's more common than what you might think.

Jul 08 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:

That's like "Who the hell could be racist nowadays?" Who knows why, but what I do know, is that many people are.

Jul 08 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

its not just the models.... its the environment. lots of men and women with too much money bring drugs like coke into high profile clubs and parties... a place where its a well known fact models (well industry people, but models are the ones in front of the camera) get in fairly easily, especially if they have made a name for themselves. unfortunately... parties and fun turn into addiction.

Jul 08 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

dee740 wrote:

There are a lot of people who go to Hollywood to become actors, actresses, musicians .. they want the fame, they want to be popular, they want the money and the lavish lifestyle .. same as with models, you lose your privacy, you are around people all the time, the demands are too high for them -- while the idea of all the fame and fortune sounded great at the time, they weren't emotionally, mentally or psychologically strong enough to handle it once they got it ... they then get into drinking and doing drugs and the next thing you know they're in rehab playing victim to their fans or blowing their heads off like Savannah the adult film actress. 

In the entertainment industry no matter which aspect of it you're in, if you don't clank when you walk before you get into it, it will eat you alive and a lot of people let it.

Nemi

Jul 08 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Nemesis73 wrote:

There are a lot of people who go to Hollywood to become actors, actresses, musicians .. they want the fame, they want to be popular, they want the money and the lavish lifestyle .. same as with models, you lose your privacy, you are around people all the time, the demands are too high for them -- while the idea of all the fame and fortune sounded great at the time, they weren't emotionally, mentally or psychologically strong enough to handle it once they got it ... they then get into drinking and doing drugs and the next thing you know they're in rehab playing victim to their fans or blowing their heads off like Savannah the adult film actress. 

In the entertainment industry no matter which aspect of it you're in, if you don't clank when you walk before you get into it, it will eat you alive and a lot of people let it.

Nemi

Reminds me of the actor who played the character Chico on the show called 'chico and the man'.

The guy was a new yorker stand up comedian who was very young. Freddie prinze. The father of actor Fredie Prinze Jr. He was very young and the fame scared him, he got caught up in the drug scene. in the end he blew his brains out.

Jul 08 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Andrea Barnett wrote:
unfortunately... parties and fun turn into addiction.

I've helped build self-promotional material for a few models who actually succeeded in getting agency contracts in NYC, and working there.  They've told me since that they encounter plenty of drugs.  One fell into it bigtime, crashed out of modeling and has been in and out of rehab back here for a couple of years.  Bummer.

Jul 08 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Ever been around an addict? You are talking like they are capiable of making rational decissions. You may make the concious decision to start taking drugs or drinking but at some point reason dissappears and habit takes over.
Mike

Jul 08 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Mike Walker wrote:

Ever been around an addict? You are talking like they are capiable of making rational decissions. You may make the concious decision to start taking drugs or drinking but at some point reason dissappears and habit takes over.
Mike

Yeap, which is the reason why I said in my pervious post that even photoshop can't cut out somethings. Gia Carangi name was addressed by me because her drug habit was out control so bad that when they photographed her the editors had to make sure that her arms didn't show up in the pictures. Needle marks from shooting up.

Jul 08 06 02:46 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A.Fox wrote:

That's like "Who the hell could be racist nowadays?" Who knows why, but what I do know, is that many people are.

A,
all I know is that there should not be any new crackheads, heroing addicts, etc. Just leave that mess alone.It's just lame to me.Pressure or not. But I do understand some people are just lame like that.

Jul 09 06 10:47 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Mike Walker wrote:
Mike

I wasn't talking about the model, I was talking about the people who work with her--agents, photographers, bookers. I'm assuming they're capable of making rational decisions about who they want to work with and how much work they're willing to do to hide physical problems associated with the model's drug habit.

Jul 09 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

do we know how many models actually have a drug "problem".  using drugs is not necessarily a "problem" or a "habit".  those are scare words.

Jul 09 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I am proud to say, I have almost 5 years clean & sober in recovery.
No drugs, alcohol (not even vanilla extract or mouthwash in my house LOL),
no cigerettes, zero tolerance. I do the only legal stimulant=expresso.
My only regret is I didn't get sober earlier in life, before I had kids, they unfortunately got caught in the crossfire!

Kisses,
MEL

Jul 09 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

MELmoore wrote:
I am proud to say, I have almost 5 years clean & sober in recovery.
No drugs, alcohol (not even vanilla extract or mouthwash in my house LOL),
no cigerettes, zero tolerance. I do the only legal stimulant=expresso.
My only regret is I didn't get sober earlier in life, before I had kids, they unfortunately got caught in the crossfire!

Kisses,
MEL

Kudos, Mel, that's fabulous. Can I ask if you were modeling while you were using, and if it showed in your pictures?

Jul 09 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

dee740 wrote:

A,
all I know is that there should not be any new crackheads, heroing addicts, etc. Just leave that mess alone.It's just lame to me.Pressure or not. But I do understand some people are just lame like that.

Some? You are kidding right? drugs is a epidemic in this country. It's not a fad of yesterday because the drug crisis have never left the scene. You could be standing right in front of someone and wouldn't have a clue that they are using. That's how common that it is.

Jul 09 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Didn't whitney tell you? Crack is wack.

Jul 09 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Kudos, Mel, that's fabulous. Can I ask if you were modeling while you were using, and if it showed in your pictures?

I did some beauty pageants and photogenics competitions when I was about 19 and some local newspaper ads for a photo studio. I didn't pursue modeling much then because I was very unreliable and I would have been very flaky, not to mention my self esteem was thrashed, I had several past abusers who can bite my little arse! (I am just the opposite now, I show up to every photoshoot!)
I have some photos from about 5 years ago, "I was tore up from the floor up!" I was skinny, about 95 or 100 pounds. The sad part is I never even realized I was that skinny. I have always been really small & petite, I have really high metabolism. So I had to work really hard the past 5 years to keep on the extra 15 pounds.(I had 3 kids and the weight still doesn't stay on, I am a busy body)
Kisses,
MEL

Jul 09 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Some? You are kidding right? drugs is a epidemic in this country. It's not a fad of yesterday because the drug crisis have never left the scene. You could be standing right in front of someone and wouldn't have a clue that they are using. That's how common that it is.

Yes the word "some" is good enough to use. It's not "all" or "none". I don't and my friends don't so that "some" right? I don't really have any stats to say "most". "some" indicates there are people on both sides of the issue. You can't take issue with that.

Jul 09 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Mike Walker wrote:
Mike

exactly

and the weakness of character may not be it

it might be the level of pain they are feeling or the level of numbness...

Jul 09 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I had a model that I shot over a 6 yr term. I shot her around 8 times a year. I could never understand why some days she looked beautiful and other days she looked like she was living in the woods. She got very strange with the last shoot we did and I never called her again. Now I here she is hooked on pain killers and pot.

What a damm shame..

Mike

Jul 09 06 05:54 pm Link