Forums > General Industry > Racism..Does it exist on MM?

Model

Tilden

BRONX, New York, US

Do you think more white models get shoots or jobs opposed to black models.  If so why? How can we change this view..if it exist.  Just wondering.

Jul 01 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tilden wrote:
Do you think more white models get shoots or jobs opposed to black models.  If so why? How can we change this view..if it exist.  Just wondering.

1.  Nobody has any actual knowledge of how many shoots models get by class or race on MM.  Any statements about it reflect the bias of the person guessing, and little else.

2.  We can change the view by changing the bias.  Since the view is independent of actual facts, changing facts will not affect it.

Jul 01 06 02:05 pm Link

Model

zzzxxxx

Manhattan, Illinois, US

The demand for models is based on the number of consumers of the product.  The more of a certain race or look in a market the more the supplier will cater to that group. I don't think it is about race as much as it is about money.

Jul 01 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It exists everywhere but always in the minds of non-tolerant, prejudiced people.

Jul 01 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

Tilden

BRONX, New York, US

Thanks guys. Its amazing the different outlooks each individual has.

Jul 01 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

not sure if my experience is representitive..
but in the past two years i have invited to my studio for no-fee shoots.

15 white models, 12 shot with me
12 black models, 2 shot with me
and one of these is the only model to flake on me..and she flaked twice..

so maybe they aren't taking the offers they are getting...

Jul 01 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hey.

A lot of people will probalby tell you that this has been discussed and you should just read the old threads, but I think racism is always worth discussing.

It is my opinion that racism exists in society and therefore it will exist here, too.  For me, the problem is figuring out why.  I think the biggest problem is the media because it doesn't portray Black people as being as attractive as white.  There are exceptions, but I think if we are honest there is a heavy beauty-bias towards white people. 

I'm sure there are other complex reasons, I'm just not sure I understand them just yet.  What is your opinion?  You must have one or you wouldn't have started this thread ;-)

Sharon

Jul 01 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

Tilden wrote:

Tilden,

Racism exists everywhere. From MM to the White House, Pancake House, Harlem, Hollywood, Vatican, 7-11, High School, Hospitals, Supreme Court. Anywhere, everywhere. It is just like social class issues. People are always going to try and point out differences in others. Some rudimental reason makes us want to be different.

Best way to change it? Treat everyone like an equal. Homeless, different races, social classes, handicapped, everyone.  Stop talking about changing and become an example of how people should treat others.

Beebe

Jul 01 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

I think there are more white models than black models due in part to the fact there are more white people in general in this country (USA).  This doesn't mean that there isn't discrimination in modeling.

I for one love working with a variety of models and some of my favorite shoots have been with black models because they bring a fresh look and style to the shoot.

I have met one photographer who said he doesn't shoot black models because he's inexperienced in lighting their skin tones.  Maybe there is some fear?

I was in fact complaining lately to a model and friend (Ali), that I'm having trouble finding black models lately.  Any models here that are near Wichita are welcome to contact me.  I would love to work with you!

Jul 01 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think some people have a perception that some Black models have a poor
attitude and are difficult.  I'm not saying that its a correct view or one held
by most people but even when you watch many T.V. shows, when there is
a Black women many times she's sassy.  This was more evident in older programs
and not as common in newer shows.  We've also seen several threads here on
how to light dark skinned Black women.  I will give you some food for thought.  I
am Black and I have a casting call for New York models.  I call everyone I want
to shoot and in several cases I've had some real attitude from Black women. 
I've had none of that from White or the two Asian models I spoke with.  This is just
a general statement and doesn't apply to all Black models at any level but I did
find it intresting and kinda sad.  In general my conversations with White models
have been easy going and flowed well but sisters....
Before I give anyone a negative impression I have also spoken to some very sweet
and kind Black models.  As in many things, our expirences color our perceptions.

Jul 01 06 02:31 pm Link

Model

zzzxxxx

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
how to light dark skinned Black women.  I will give you some food for thought.  I
I've had none of that from White or the two Asian models I spoke with.  This is just
a general statement and doesn't apply to all Black models at any level but I did
find it intresting and kinda sad.  In general my conversations with White models
Before I give anyone a negative impression I have also spoken to some very sweet
and kind Black models.  As in many things, our expirences color our perceptions.

What do you mean by attitude? Just curious

Jul 01 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Katisha H wrote:

What do you mean by attitude? Just curious

When I call someone for example.  I say who I am and what I am calling for and from
many Black women its like I'm asking them for a date or I'm a telemarketer.
These are people who have left me a e-mail or called me based on a casting
notice but they act like I'm some sort of pest.  Yeah, what do you want? 
Vs. White models who tend to be sweet and or bussiness like.  One model I spoke
with and  would have used left me a tidbit of love as a reply in my casting
call.  Its kinda nasty and this from someone who expressed a desire to do the
shoot.  I'm not down on Black women I just wish some would lighten up.

Jul 01 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

zzzxxxx

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Well at any rate I think we can all agree that the modeling industry is not an "equal opportunity employer".  It discriminates against race, sex, height, and weight.  In a business built on appearances It is always going to be there.

Jul 01 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Katisha H wrote:
Well at any rate I think we can all agree that the modeling industry is not an "equal opportunity employer".  It discriminates against race, sex, height, and weight.  In a business built on appearances It is always going to be there.

This is true. Colour, Height or sex has nothing to do with your ability to work.

It all depends on whether your particular features, whatever they may be, will generate money.

It's a business. Successful models veiw themselves as part of the commodoties.

Jul 01 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Katisha H wrote:

Discriminates, yes.  Discrimination is not bad per se.  "Discriminates against" is a little more problematic, but any time discrimination operates in favor of someone, it operates against someone else, so "discriminates against" isn't necessarily bad either.

Certainly the modeling industry discriminates on the basis of (not "against" except in the sense meant above) race, sex, height, weight, beauty, reliability, work ethic, location and any number of other characteristics.  If it did not, it would not be a business, and we wouldn't call it "modeling".

Jul 01 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

100% of shoots I participate in involve a model of hispanic decent. wink

Jul 01 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Katisha H wrote:

Interesting point.

Jul 01 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

Katisha H wrote:
The demand for models is based on the number of consumers of the product.  The more of a certain race or look in a market the more the supplier will cater to that group. I don't think it is about race as much as it is about money.

ditto...

Jul 01 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

alicia

Valdosta, Georgia, US

I think that a photographer will shoot whoever they want if they think they have the talent, no matter the color. I have shoot with 5 people from this site and they were white photographers.
Some whites may only want to shoot whites and some black photographers may only shoot black models...........they just go for what they like! Not saying they don't like the other race.

A*G*

Jul 01 06 04:51 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

and you know why the media places 'sassy' sistahs, to show the NEGATIVE image of the African Diaspora, that's why, it's not a secret that there has only been ONE Cosby show and Different World show whereas all the other AA shows geered to represent the dispiction of African-Americans has been STEROTYPICAL !!!!!!

I'm African-american and I went out for a reality show for a WELL known company and I was told I wasn't GHETTO enough (in so many words) during our conversation, they met me, LOVED my work, LOVED my energy, blah blah blah, but they said they were looking for 'female' hair artists (oh, the reality show was about hair artists coming together and voicing their opinion and vision as a group) who had a Queens, NEW YORK  accent (whatever that means)....

funny thing, I was raised in Queens and when I told her that, she gagged b/c she realize her racist comment came to light and she couldn't fabicate a reason why I wasn't being chosen.

in other words, it's all in the plan for the media to show AA's in a negative light, not all AA's are from the Ghetto, nor do we us the N** word, nor do we turn our neck in rotation when making a point, nor do we, well you get the picture...

in other words b/c I'm an EDUCATED, ARTICULATE and TALENTED AA hair artist, I wasn't chosen b/c we all know when you're on tv, you've highly influential to those watching you at home and to have me on TV would inspire and uplift little AA girls/boys to conduct themselves in a positive light now wouldn't it *wink

Nedjetti

Jul 01 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hair by Nedjetti wrote:
in other words, it's all in the plan for the media to show AA's in a negative light,

Ah, I just love a good conspiracy theory.

Jul 01 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Tilden wrote:

In the US and Europe, of course they do...by virtue of the sheer numbers: there are more of them (white models), more customers for their images, and the rest easily follows.

It isn't a "view", it's a simple business fact.

This sounds like a phishing trip.

Jul 01 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Every time I approach a black model about shooting fetish, she feaks out, simple as that.  I have a long list of white models looking forward to working with me, so I don't think race is the issue so much as attitude.

Jul 01 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

black female models dig me...cuz i keep it real...*no joke*

Jul 01 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Marta Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

I like to photograph black women but in USA it is difficult to find black women with curly hair.

Jul 01 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

BCG wrote:

........and your page is void of said content due to .......... ?  smile

bt

Jul 01 06 06:33 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

BCG wrote:

Was it a Black female model you were shooting when you realized, in the middle of the shoot, that you had to go poop?  smile  Did you keep it real and tell her about the shit you had to go take care of real quick?

(For those of you who are confused right now, read his OH POOP thread)

Jul 01 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
Every time I approach a black model about shooting fetish, she feaks out, simple as that.  I have a long list of white models looking forward to working with me, so I don't think race is the issue so much as attitude.

ahem...cough cough.....

Jul 01 06 06:44 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

I am Japanese. I have had good experiences shooting with photographers from many different ethnicities and geographical locations.

Do I think that MM contains racism? It has no more than any other community of people and probably less than many, in my opinion.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jul 01 06 06:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Yes...in my experience it goes both ways......
I will not shoot a white model if she looks like she is on crack and the bus just dropped her off from the trailer park
And I will not shoot or work with a black model who looks like the busy dropped her off from the ghetto, used her last welfare check to get extentionsetc.....
I think you all know where I am going with this but ya it is here because certian people like myself want certain looks and if you don't have then 2 words
Bye Bye

Jul 01 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm a white photographer, mainly working with African/African-American models. Racism is everywhere, and so is human preference, which is often mistaken for racism.

Jul 01 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

the hell with  this racist crap. I dont like short people!

Jul 01 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think you may be feeling sexism more than race.  I know that most of the male models that I work with are black.  They seem to have more confidence and "bring it attitude" to the shoot.  That said I only shoot 1 male to every 20 female.  When I am ask why?  My standard answer is... when you (male) walk into a department store...We get a corner the woman get six floors.

I sent a black male model home 1 time because I told him to bring different clothing.  He looked at me as a big time racist.  I told him to look in the mirror.  Anyone can model HipHop and gang banger clothing.  But he had a look that transended race.  We shot later with Gap look, Calvin etc looks.  He went to Maimi for a vaction and never came back to Las Vegas.  Got picked up by a major agency.

I agree with an earlier post.  I know that when I first meet a black female model I walk on egg shells.  Most are as sweet as can be and a dream to work with.  But the only models I have ever had attitude problems with( very few) were all black females.  Seem to have a "you owe me...because I am a star"   attitude.  I don't deal well with the attitude.  I have worked with too many others that work there butts off to get somewhere.

Good Luck

Jul 01 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

I hate black and white pictures... does that make me a racist person??? wink kidding.

Jul 01 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

RobertWrightPhotography

Monroe, Louisiana, US

Katisha H wrote: Well at any rate I think we can all agree that the modeling industry is not an "equal opportunity employer".  It discriminates against race, sex, height, and weight.  In a business built on appearances It is always going to be there.

I agree. Why do rappers get chosen as lead roles in movies? Certainly not because they can act. It's all about who will bring in the most ticket sales at the box office. The industry thrives on selling. Generally that's the whole point of "modeling". Most of us forget that modeling is just what it says... "model". You are displaying or being a representative of someone's clothing, jewelry, shoes, cars, or what have you. It's not just taking pretty pictures. That's hobby stuff. The back page ad on a major magazine costs about $100,000 per issue. No ad agency or company is going to pay that kind of money on an ad unless they were sure that it could bring them in more sales. If they have to bring in a Black model to target a black audience, that's who will be featured on the ad. If they need to use a white model to target a white crowd, or a hispanic model to target a hispanic crowd, or hell, just a damn good looking model that appeals to all, that's what they'll use. Whatever it takes. Black squared plus white squared over hispanic squared equals green.

Jul 01 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

Yes. Racism is everywhere. Everyonne has bigoted thoughts. Regardless of who you are or what color your skin is, or  what religion you are. It is human nature to be aggressive and angry toward things you don't understand or ar unfamiliar with.

I used to shoot only white models. That was all I could book. Then I photographed many black models. Now I shoot lots of black, white, chinese and latina models. IT is all on what is avaialable and presetnted to you.

Hell If I was working in porn I would be shooting porn stars all the time. Plus I feel location and racial demographic are an issue here. How many black models are there in the middle of Nebraska or Alaska?

Race is always an issue. Just don't forget the other circumstances that are involved in an issue. To boil things down to black and white is to disregard and negate the other factors. That is close minded and lame.

Another 2 cents....

Jul 01 06 07:09 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
I dont like short people!

After hearing this statement, a devastated Tikeya stops herself in time from ringing UnoMundo's doorbell and turns around to get back into the car...sobbing uncontrollably.  sad

Jul 01 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Tikeya wrote:

After hearing this statement, a devastated Tikeya stops herself in time from ringing UnoMundo's doorbell and turns around to get back into the car...sobbing uncontrollably.  sad

you are NOT short; you are a wonderfully perfectly proportioned woman.

Jul 01 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Black female models...I have a high fashion client who is looking for a 2 black  female models.  Must be 5'7"+.  You can see samples of her designs on my mm site.  We have been looking for 2 months and most black female models don't have any work in their portfolios that my designer client can relate too. e-mail me if interested.

B

Jul 01 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Tilden wrote:

Market saturation

I’m not sure what the percentage of black models vs. white models are on this site (or anywhere), but I would take a guess it’s like 20% black/80% white.

Is that Racist? no.

Jul 01 06 07:28 pm Link