Forums > General Industry > Why is it so hard to shoot CURVY girls?

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Now I know TALL and thin is the standard, but I don't want to be (or never will be) the standard. With that said, why is it so hard to get good shots of curvy women?

Jun 29 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Ahzure wrote:
why is it so hard to get good shots of curvy women?

uh,..., for whom is it difficult? sounds like a reflection of the photographer's skills, right? (scratches head & shrugs shoulders)

just two cents,
FML

Jun 29 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

Hard to get good shots of curvy women? I'm going to take a stab at this, but are you not happy with your pictures? Like I always say "want a better picture bring a better face." Now as this seems to relate to you, maybe the phrase should be "want a better picture, get a better photographer".

I don't know why it would be harder to shoot a curvy model versus a thin model. My take would be that it is easier. With a curvy model the light actually hits the model. With the super thin model, you need to angle the model more to have them lit.

Come up my way, and I'll show you how to shoot a curvy model.

Beebe

Jun 29 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Depends on what you call curvy and what you call good.

Personally all I work with is girls with curvs.  It's a no brainer.  But then I'm not shooting for Vouge or Elle either, so I don't have to "tone down" the sexuality that the curvy body naturally elicits.  Hence for the purposes of what I typically shoot (with models anyway) I achieve the desired results.

If you're looking for more fashion/artistic/commercial looks, then the difficulty lies in taking something that garners sexual attention and making it NON-sexual.

It takes more effort to put a girl with DD breasts in a 3000k Versace gown with a long split, low scoop and missing back and  make the viewer concentrate on the DRESS and not the bulging cleavage coming out of it.

Jun 29 06 03:36 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

...so u mean the photog has to see the "vision?"

So what about tall and thin -vs- curvy girls when:

1. different angles are used?

2. Certain colors? Geometric shapes?

3. Times of day/specific lighting?

4. Certain outfits?

Jun 29 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

It's not. You just have to find photographers who have a genuine attraction to women with these types of figures, as opposed to ones just looking to diversify their portfolio or doing it because they think it's the trendy thing to shoot (in the urban market).

Jun 29 06 03:38 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jun 29 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Ahzure wrote:
so u mean the photog has to see the "vision?"

sure, the photographer's gotta see the vision ...

... but (s)he's also gotta have the technical skills to back it up.

FML

Jun 29 06 03:40 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Lol, I understand totally. Versace would have to charge 5K for the same dress to fit boobies and a bootie, hahaha.

-But you have a good point. Why are curvy women targeted as the lusty bustys (Playboy, FHM, Stuff, etc) and not for Target ads? (bear with me, it's late)

Jun 29 06 03:41 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

Jun 29 06 03:42 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ahzure wrote:
Lol, I understand totally. Versace would have to charge 5K for the same dress to fit boobies and a bootie, hahaha.

-But you have a good point. Why are curvy women targeted as the lusty bustys (Playboy, FHM, Stuff, etc) and not for Target ads? (bear with me, it's late)

It's less about what it would cost to make a dress fit and who would pay attention to a dress with some big ass boobs and ass everywhere

Jun 29 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Ahzure wrote:
Why are curvy women targeted as the lusty bustys (Playboy, FHM, Stuff, etc) and not for Target ads? (bear with me, it's late)

kinda like why are runway models typically 5'9" - 5'11"; just one of those quirks of a very finicky industry ...

FML

Jun 29 06 03:43 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

William R Beebe wrote:
Hard to get good shots of curvy women? I'm going to take a stab at this, but are you not happy with your pictures? Like I always say "want a better picture bring a better face." Now as this seems to relate to you, maybe the phrase should be "want a better picture, get a better photographer".

I don't know why it would be harder to shoot a curvy model versus a thin model. My take would be that it is easier. With a curvy model the light actually hits the model. With the super thin model, you need to angle the model more to have them lit.

Come up my way, and I'll show you how to shoot a curvy model.

Beebe

As for my pix, I'm always looking for better, more, gorgeous, outstanding... I know pictures are a relationship between the photographer and the model, but how do you trust someone to see your vision?

Jun 29 06 03:44 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ahzure wrote:
...how do you trust someone to see your vision?

The model is the one that "has to see the [photographers] vision".  So this is a question you have to ask yourself.

Jun 29 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ahzure wrote:

Again because of the distraction issue.  FHM, Maxim, KING, the men's mag market period sells sex, sexy, and everything that goes with it.  Curvy have always been regarded as sexually arousing.  Hence they are the prime commodity in that market.  On the flip side, when you are selling Ketchup/ Clorox, Payless shoes, you want the model to pop and have shine but NOT over shine the product.  You don't want someone t look at the ad and say "Hey those are some big ass boobs and a phat ass!"  You want them to say "Wow this woman is relatable/pretty/etc. and she makes me want ______ product!"

Sometimes they use sex to sell that (GoDaddy.com commercials, Bacardi and Cola commercials, etc) but for the most part it's not the route most companies want to take.  Keep the product at the forefront, the model to the side.

Jun 29 06 03:47 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

sucks to know that I'll never be more than a beer girl!!!! just kiddin.

Jun 29 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

Ahzure wrote:
...so u mean the photog has to see the "vision?"

So what about tall and thin -vs- curvy girls when:

1. different angles are used?

2. Certain colors? Geometric shapes?

3. Times of day/specific lighting?

4. Certain outfits?

Hmn lets see if I can address this number by number.

1. Different angles, sure some people look good at different angles. You want to know what is good for you? Do what Cindy Crawford did. Get 2 of those full length 3 way mirrors (you know the one with 3 panels attached that you can angle) Make a circle of mirrors around you and practice your poses and see which way your body looks best. Cindy's hips are 37 inches. She just knows how to pose.

2. Certain colors? Do you mean skin color or clothing color. For skin color that really is a photographic error that a lot of new photographers get wrong. A properly exposed image will be right. Problem is a lot of these GWC see someone with a little color and feel the need to over expose. As for clothes color and shapes well that all depends on what you want to emphasize or conceal.

3. Times of day / lighting. I've lit images with my car headlights, candles, strobes, sun, moonlight, Christmas lights. It depends on the mood you are trying to convey. I suggest if you have a photographer that specializes in one lighting method don't try to push him into another. New photographer? Have him shoot outside. 1 BIG light source to deal with. Less complicated.

4. Outfits - Nice clothes and accesories make the shot. Nice here implies that is the look they are going for.

The vision? well is it your vision or the photographers? Helmut Newton said, he doesn't want the model to think. He wants a puppet. Just come to the shoot and do what he wants. He will contort the model and make it painful, if that is what it takes. If you have a vision, communication is what you need. If the photographer thinks sexy is thigh highs and wet hair, but you think sexy is big Texas hair, while you smile just the right way while wearing a business suit, then you are not going to get what you want.

I really like the time I take with a model prior to a shoot. I like to sit down and show them sketches, pictures or what ever that will help convey what I am looking for. If during this time the model doesn’t get it, I simply say “thank you for your time” and move on to someone else. I need to insure the model understands what I want. If the model comes to me, then I need to be damn sure I know what she wants and I will continue through the shoot to ask if I am on track. Communication.

Jun 29 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ahzure wrote:

Why?  There's money in it.

Jun 29 06 03:54 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ahzure wrote:

No No No... don't even feed into that!  Glamour Models are taking over!  JUST being beer girls are days of the past.  There are SOOOOOO many more opportunities now than ever!  If I were in Arizona, I'd hunt down Bruce Talbot... I'm sure he's still up.

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I have refused work with photographers who have years of experience and are published because i take one look at the models they have worked with and no they'd be unable to shoot me. this isn't to say that theyre crap at their jobs. no wait yes it is.

i did one shoot in a waterfall and the photographer refused to give me the images as he was unhappy with their outcome. it was freaking tfcd i had paid my travel expences and suffered cuts and bruises meaning i had to turn down paid work while healing - i wanted the damn pictures!

so he sends me two low res jpegs - unedited but with a black frame and converted to black and white with a blue tint type thing going on.

then a few weeks later he is all apologetic about shit and saying he was annoyed that day because he had waited so long for me to arrive (train delays which i kept him fully up to date on via my mobile). then he was annoyed because the original model who was shooting with me pulled out the night before - this apparantly was my fault as she was intimidated by me. hell why didnt she freaking say so and i would have dropped out! instead i offered to pick her up from birmingham and pay her train from there to stratford upon avon and back!!!! anyways i found a replacement model - newbie but fun and blone and a great friend./ my type of figure and height.

then he decided the images werent good because he couldnt pose me as it was so loud and he needed a more experienced model who was capable of posing herself!!!

at which point i gave up. i may ask for RAW images to see if i can salvage something. the boy knows nothing of photography and even less of photoshop. not that i'm an expert but WTF. i've been modelling for 6 years and have dozens of publications - yep i can't pose thats why my skin tones are uneven and you had to make an image blue instead of colour correcting it!

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sian Louise wrote:
I have refused work with photographers who have years of experience and are published because i take one look at the models they have worked with and no they'd be unable to shoot me. this isn't to say that theyre crap at their jobs. no wait yes it is.

i did one shoot in a waterfall and the photographer refused to give me the images as he was unhappy with their outcome. it was freaking tfcd i had paid my travel expences and suffered cuts and bruises meaning i had to turn down paid work while healing - i wanted the damn pictures!

so he sends me two low res jpegs - unedited but with a black frame and converted to black and white with a blue tint type thing going on.

then a few weeks later he is all apologetic about shit and saying he was annoyed that day because he had waited so long for me to arrive (train delays which i kept him fully up to date on via my mobile). then he was annoyed because the original model who was shooting with me pulled out the night before - this apparantly was my fault as she was intimidated by me. hell why didnt she freaking say so and i would have dropped out! instead i offered to pick her up from birmingham and pay her train from there to stratford upon avon and back!!!! anyways i found a replacement model - newbie but fun and blone and a great friend./ my type of figure and height.

then he decided the images werent good because he couldnt pose me as it was so loud and he needed a more experienced model who was capable of posing herself!!!

at which point i gave up. i may ask for RAW images to see if i can salvage something. the boy knows nothing of photography and even less of photoshop. not that i'm an expert but WTF. i've been modelling for 6 years and have dozens of publications - yep i can't pose thats why my skin tones are uneven and you had to make an image blue instead of colour correcting it!

Tell 'em why you mad homegirl!

Jun 29 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Ahzure wrote:

all kidding aside, depends a lot on how you market yourself, the people you know, etc. ...

FML

Jun 29 06 03:59 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

No No No... don't even feed into that!  Glamour Models are taking over!  JUST being beer girls are days of the past.  There are SOOOOOO many more opportunities now than ever!  If I were in Arizona, I'd hunt down Bruce Talbot... I'm sure he's still up.

I tried. He's booked. Love his work, though. Or maybe I'm not his vision. (just kidding Bruce, we cool!)

Jun 29 06 04:03 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Ahzure wrote:

I tried. He's booked. Love his work, though. Or maybe I'm not his vision. (just kidding Bruce, we cool!)

haha come to the UK and i'll shoot you smile just kidding wink but seriously get someone who knows about LIGHT!

It is the eternal importance in photography - with no light there is no exposure, no exposure, no film , no print no picture! lol but you know like light and dark shadows and high lights glare and golden hour... if they never once mention any one of these things then they may not be able to shoot you. but they may just be a shy retiring genius who lets the images talk for themself... you know? anyways good luck with it... i often find i look best naked or clothes - lingerie doesnt suit me cause i have this pear shape thing going on with the ass and the hips and the thighs... get someone who shoots clasical/figure nude and ask to do implied nude in a black thong. if they can do that they can make your curves work for you! smile

Jun 29 06 04:09 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

FML-Photography wrote:

all kidding aside, depends a lot on how you market yourself, the people you know, etc. ...

FML

WELL I'm sure by now everyone knows that printwork is something I haven't been doing since I was 16. Transitioning from promos to printwork (full time) is something that I'm committed to, and all the tips/help I can get is appreciated!

-How do you market yourself other than your photos and going to agencies? (Granted, I have met several awesome people on MM and OMP)

Jun 29 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ahzure wrote:

WELL I'm sure by now everyone knows that printwork is something I haven't been doing since I was 16. Transitioning from promos to printwork (full time) is something that I'm committed to, and all the tips/help I can get is appreciated!

-How do you market yourself other than your photos and going to agencies? (Granted, I have met several awesome people on MM and OMP)

What market are you trying to get into?

Different ways to market to different markets.

Jun 29 06 04:11 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

PS- you guys ROCK ruff'n'stuff for posting a comment and being honest, much love from AZ!

Jun 29 06 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Ahzure wrote:
How do you market yourself other than your photos and going to agencies? (Granted, I have met several awesome people on MM and OMP)

to network in the mainstream world, gotta go to the mainstream world; it's a far away land who doesn't reach often into the 'Net world ... and yet holds all kinds of possibilities.

hopefully in your city you will find, or create (ahem), opportunities to network with the peeps who do the kind of work you'd like to do.

(crosses fingers for Ahzure)

FML

Jun 29 06 04:13 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

My market- I wanna be a glamour model like Miss Hotness, Cristal S...

OH CRAP, NOW I'M A WANNA-BE!!!! (sob)

Jun 29 06 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(hands her a hanky)

Ahz, next time i'm jetting through the Arizona desert (I-10 histrionics; Jim Morrison moments) i'd love to see about shooting together!

FML

Jun 29 06 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ahzure wrote:
My market- I wanna be a glamour model like Miss Hotness, Cristal S...

OH CRAP, NOW I'M A WANNA-BE!!!! (sob)

Well first you need to get seen.  There aren't typically go-sees like in the fashion market in the glamour market, instead you do submissions.  Find out all the editors names and e-mail addies (most have them in the actual magazines) and e-mail/ mail your pictures to them. It helps if you know someone that knows someone, but it's really something that you can do yourself.  If your look is something they feel they can add to the magazine then they'll get back with you and set up something.  Sean Cummings recently started a magazine called SHOW.  I doesn't have the circulation of say a KING or FHM, but it's getting national backing, and he's doing a SHITLOAD of footwork to make the mag a hit.  He took Smooth Mag from a circulation of 5k a month to over 150k a month in a matter of 2 years so he knows what he's doing.  I think trying your luck with him is a good start.  He's looking for a strong team of model to help solidify SHOW's place in the Urban Men's Mag market. http://www.show-mag.com/

Secondly understand your market.  Glamour doesn't pay.  At least it doesn't pay a no name that hasn't accumulated any star power.  Be prepared to spend your own money to make things happen early on.  You MIGHT get chosen to be in one of the glamour mags but more than likely have to foot your own bill for travel and lodging to shoot.  After that keep doing submissions and any casting calls you catch wind of.  Keep your ear to the street.  Be prepared to travel.  Nothing pops off in AZ.  Go to LA go to ATL go to NY.

There's more but it's too early to type this much.

Jun 29 06 04:26 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Awww, I KNEW my ASSets would attract sympathy! (sure man, hit me up- I'm not shyyyy)

Tig Ol Bitties n a Tig ol Bootie, works every time!

Jun 29 06 04:26 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Ahzure wrote:
Now I know TALL and thin is the standard, but I don't want to be (or never will be) the standard. With that said, why is it so hard to get good shots of curvy women?

You're not using the right filter!!!!.....or buy the "curvy" plug in for photoshop...LOL

Thank goodness I've never had a problem shooting curvy women.....it's the thin ones I have problem with.....

Jun 29 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

All u have to do is get around it!!!!........ its just a bit harder for the various poses as you try to minimize certain things....... its a bit mor fun!!!

Jun 29 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ahzure wrote:

It's not.

Jun 29 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Tearanny

Clarksburg, West Virginia, US

Its all in the photographer...
I love my body... My curves are my strength... when I find the right photographers... I get AMAZING shots. A profesional that can appreciate the beauty of the arches, the flows of my hip, the curves of my ass...When he captures what he finds beautiful, Im always happy.

Jun 29 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Ahzure wrote:

Probably because those same photographers (myself included) were trying to shooting those curvy women in the same style &/or technique that they would w/ a girl whose 5'10 & 125 lbs.

This thread might help you, if it is that you're looking for techniques. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, who knows.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=56892

Jun 29 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

Ive always had the opposite problem.  Its the 2D models...you know, the ones that have height and width, but no depth...THOSE are the ones that cause me anguish to shoot.  I can do it, but I dont think I do it as well as I do someone with depth.  curves add structure to the photo. 

-Rob

Jun 29 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

jimmy blanton

Hawthorne, California, US

No problem shooting curvey models, matter a fact I love it!  As far as getting in the major publications its about setting realistic goals, effort, networking with people of power(in the modeling industry), and focus.

Jun 29 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Ahzure wrote:

I looked at your images and I would shoot with you any day.  I don't see a problem with your figure at all.

Jun 29 06 09:44 am Link