Forums > General Industry > Two of the most asked questions on MM

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have read through some of the forums and noticed that two of the most asked questions on here are whether or not a photographer is a GWC and What does it take to get a great shot.  The first question is easy.  If you have a camera because you want to see hot (normally naked) people show up to take pictures then you are a GWC.  If you shoot to get a great images then you are a photographer.  The only person who can know for sure what your reasons for shooting are is you.  So if you know that you shoot to get a great shot no matter how inexperienced you are then you are on your way to being a professional photographer.  If you don't care as long as hot people are shooting with you then you are on your way to GWC statues. 

The next question is pretty simple too.  This industry is very similar to baking a cake.  The model would be the major ingredients (eggs, milk, flour)  If you use cheap products to make your cake then no matter how pretty you make it you will only end up with an average tasting cake.  If you use top of the line ingredients then you have the start of a great tasting cake.  The photographer would be the baker and the same applies, if you use some burger shop employee to make the cake he probably won't make as great of a cake as a master chef.  The lighting is the sugar and flavoring.  With the right amount of sugar and knowing how much sugar to add or take away you can make a cake taste a lot better than having no sugar in it. And finally the last step of a great cake is the icing which in photography is the make-up artist.  If the icing is just slapped on the cake then the cake might taste great but it won't look that impressive.  But when you use someone who can put all the flowers and patterns on the cake then you have a great looking cake.    If you leave out or go cheap on any of these ingredients then you won't have the greatest cake you can have.   So if you are a photographer and wondering why your shots aren't turning out like you want then you should probably check the ingredients you are using.

Jun 28 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Woah.

Very good.  I like the baking analogy, although I'm sure someone will find fault with it...

Jun 28 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Like baking a cake?

I agree!

Jun 28 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

mmmmmmmmm.............I'm hungry now!

Jun 28 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

How about a nice soufflé?

Jun 28 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah it kinda makes me hungry too... (still waiting for the angry mob)

Jun 28 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

I love good cake!

Jun 28 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Samantha the Pantha

Seattle, Washington, US

Very true..and it speaks to me since I LOVE to bake cakes~!!

good work!

Jun 28 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

jason ssg

Rockford, Illinois, US

Haha- Go Go Gadget Metaphor!

But pretty much correct

This kinda makes me want to do a shoot with the model covered in icing... sounds like fun actually!

Jun 28 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

deleted_02841

San Antonio, Florida, US

Where does post processing fit into all this?  Is that like cutting the cake, or how it is served?  If I scrape all the icing off will the MUA get upset?

Jun 28 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Damn you all!! I'm off to the pie shop!!

Jun 28 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

mmm, cake good.

Jun 28 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Goldblade Photos

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Very well said; however, would I lose points for licking the bowl?

Jun 28 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

As a pastry chef myself, I give kudos to the analogy!

Jun 28 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Goldblade Photos wrote:
Very well said; however, would I lose points for licking the bowl?

dude... the bowl = camera equipment.

Jun 28 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah I think licking your camera equipment would be bad and taste funny... and yes post would be how you serve the cake...  Good add...

Jun 28 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

/waits for obligatory shot of model covered in flour, eggs, sugar, and icing

Jun 28 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Richard Tallent wrote:
/waits for obligatory shot of model covered in flour, eggs, sugar, and icing

Chris Ambler has one, IIRC.

[edit]: cookies, but similar concept.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 59de655f62

Jun 28 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

As a former pastry chef, I agree.

photofrog wrote:
Where does post processing fit into all this?  Is that like cutting the cake, or how it is served?  If I scrape all the icing off will the MUA get upset?

How about oven temp. and baking time....?

Jun 28 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

excellent posting.

Jun 28 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm confused now . . . GWC = Guy With a Cake?

Jun 28 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Keni

Cary, Illinois, US

Chocolate?  Guaranteed to get top models with Chocolate.  tee hee...

Jun 28 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Darkprophet wrote:
I have read through some of the forums and noticed that two of the most asked questions on here are whether or not a photographer is a GWC and What does it take to get a great shot.  The first question is easy.  If you have a camera because you want to see hot (normally naked) people show up to take pictures then you are a GWC.  If you shoot to get a great images then you are a photographer.  The only person who can know for sure what your reasons for shooting are is you.  So if you know that you shoot to get a great shot no matter how inexperienced you are then you are on your way to being a professional photographer.  If you don't care as long as hot people are shooting with you then you are on your way to GWC statues.

What if you shoot to get great images of hot naked people?

Jun 28 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Metaphorically speaking, it’s still about skill and desire!

Jun 28 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Other analogies --

Photography is like engineering, except its not as structured and you work with prettier people.

Photography is like baseball -- the model pitches and the photographer bats.  If the pitch and bat connect in just the right way at the right time, you have a home run.  Or you bean the third baseman in the nuts.  LOL.

Jun 28 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

where did you get that half baked idea!  let them eat cake,  and sometimes you can have your cake and eat it to.   this is not a site for food photography maybe you need to go there if you are so damn interested in cake.  what about the filling, is that not important anymore, YOU CANT FORGET THE FILLING, can you imagine a 7 layer cake with no filling, lmfao.

Jun 28 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:

Chris Ambler has one, IIRC.

[edit]: cookies, but similar concept.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 59de655f62

Great, now I'll be accused of having stolen the idea :-)

Jun 28 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Darkprophet wrote:
The next question is pretty simple too.  This industry is very similar to baking a cake.  The model would be the major ingredients (eggs, milk, flour)  If you use cheap products to make your cake then no matter how pretty you make it you will only end up with an average tasting cake.  If you use top of the line ingredients then you have the start of a great tasting cake.  The photographer would be the baker and the same applies, if you use some burger shop employee to make the cake he probably won't make as great of a cake as a master chef.  The lighting is the sugar and flavoring.  With the right amount of sugar and knowing how much sugar to add or take away you can make a cake taste a lot better than having no sugar in it. And finally the last step of a great cake is the icing which in photography is the make-up artist.  If the icing is just slapped on the cake then the cake might taste great but it won't look that impressive.  But when you use someone who can put all the flowers and patterns on the cake then you have a great looking cake.    If you leave out or go cheap on any of these ingredients then you won't have the greatest cake you can have.   So if you are a photographer and wondering why your shots aren't turning out like you want then you should probably check the ingredients you are using.

(used with permission):
https://www.bobrandall.com/MM/Helen.jpg

First off, I hate any analogy that makes me think of MacArthur Park..

Second, I think Bob Randall's image above is all the proof I need that sometimes you can make great things with all sorts of ingredients..

Jun 28 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

i heart cake...

samantha the pantha looks like cake.

smile

Jun 28 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Darkprophet wrote:
I have read through some of the forums and noticed that two of the most asked questions on here are whether or not a photographer is a GWC and What does it take to get a great shot.

What is GWC?

Jun 28 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

WG Rowland wrote:

(used with permission):

Second, I think Bob Randall's image above is all the proof I need that sometimes you can make great things with all sorts of ingredients..

She looks like she just left the cake out in the rain by accident.

Jun 28 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

WG Rowland wrote:

(used with permission):

She looks like the mom in Sean of the dead.

Jun 28 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Darkprophet wrote:
So if you are a photographer and wondering why your shots aren't turning out like you want then you should probably check the ingredients you are using.

i dissagree...a good photographer can turn up a great image with the poorest of ingrediants...a good cook can make somthing great from nothing..

its the photographers skill that makes an image...

in my humble opinion as always...

Jun 28 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Olaf S wrote:
Woah.

Very good.  I like the baking analogy, although I'm sure someone will find fault with it...

So like, where does the fashion stylist fit in here?  Is that the person who dresses up the chef or the person who puts on more icing?  And what about hair stylists?  Do they do the hair of the person who puts the clothing on the chef or do they do the chef's hair?  If they're doing the model then technically they're putting the icing on the cake, too.  Wouldn't that be, like... too many chefs in the kitchen?

Come to think of it, I have a problem with this whole "I'm gonna drop in and put the icing on the cake" mentality.  Why should they steal my glory?  I'm the one who sweats in the damn kitchen.  Do you know how much my pots cost?  And that's a gas oven, baby... old school bakin' takes real skill. 

Should I just bake these cakes for free?  My oven isn't cheap... why should the icing person charge a "sugar fee?"

I'm sorry, I don't know where I was going with that...

Jun 28 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

Can I have my cake, and eat it too?

Malodave

Jun 28 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

So like, where does the fashion stylist fit in here?  Is that the person who dresses up the chef or the person who puts on more icing?  And what about hair stylists?  Do they do the hair of the person who puts the clothing on the chef or do they do the chef's hair?  If they're doing the model then technically they're putting the icing on the cake, too.  Wouldn't that be, like... too many chefs in the kitchen?

Come to think of it, I have a problem with this whole "I'm gonna drop in and put the icing on the cake" mentality.  Why should they steal my glory?  I'm the one who sweats in the damn kitchen.  Do you know how much my pots cost?  And that's a gas oven, baby... old school bakin' takes real skill. 

Should I just bake these cakes for free?  My oven isn't cheap... why should the icing person charge a "sugar fee?"

I'm sorry, I don't know where I was going with that...

Don't know where you were going, but I'll buy the beer when you get here..  That rocked.. smile

Jun 28 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Don't know where you were going, but I'll buy the beer when you get here..  That rocked.. smile

:::snicker:::

I do what I can...

Jun 28 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

None of my pictures fit all of the requirements of the cake analogy. All my model are cheap (friends and volunteers), no MUA, and they are often "dressed" in my old clothes and pieces of cloth.

My pictures aren't as good as some I see on Model Mayhen but are they all bad?

Jun 28 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Fuzzybear Photography wrote:
None of my pictures fit all of the requirements of the cake analogy. All my model are cheap (friends and volunteers), no MUA, and they are often "dressed" in my old clothes and pieces of cloth.

My pictures aren't as good as some I see on Model Mayhen but are they all bad?

Follow one recipe... You get one cake...
Follow many recipes... 

Ok, this cake analogy blows..

Jun 28 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Cake?....I heard cake!

I love cake....cookies too...candy and ice cream...yum...where is the cake?...can I have the corner piece with all the icing?...

Jun 28 06 06:52 pm Link