Forums > General Industry > Its Gone..Closing My Studio..

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

For so many years my dream was to have my own space. My own studio away from my house, where I could keep my lights set up all the time, and a place where I could store all of my vintage stuff, maybe have it all on display like a museum. Last year I finally did it. I rented a nice 1,000 Sq. ft. space in the city near my day job. It was a perfect place..high ceilings and big windows that faced north and had blinds on them so the light could be controlled in the day. It was an old building that was built in the 1800's and used to be a flour mill. Wood beams...everything..and it was MY space. far enough away from home that I could get away when I wanted. Close enough that I could be there in 15 mins. No matter what time of day. That was a year ago this month.

I started with just my lighting kit and my back drops. Slowly I began moving things into the space and it began to take shape. Moved a 1950's vintage couch up those two flights of stairs. Beutiful curved couch. That was the first piece. Next came a bunch of mid-century modern chairs and tables, and lamps....It was starting to get crowded. Then came more and more shoots. My weekends were spent shopping at yard sales and flea markets, looking for props...soon the place was looking more like I had always wanted. It was perfect. I hung my art on the walls and couldn't wait to show anyone who wanted to see the place. My dreams were coming true.

Then came May..no work coming in, and no time to do it anyway. Full time day job..family..house being neglected..shooting for car magazines in my free time...The studio sat empty most of the time. weeks go by before I even go there again.

Now its June..Lease is up and I'm moving out. Packed things up in boxes today..it was sad putting all those things away. Each piece had its own story...

Where did I go wrong? I can tell you. I suck at business. I love to create art..but I suck at the business end. Too many TFP/Cd's? Maybe... But its time to get back to reality. It was a fun year..

SK

Jun 26 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Thomasio

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Was it a great year?

Jun 26 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

vanWingo

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Kilmer Photography wrote:
It's gone ...

I feel your pain.

Jun 26 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Sounds perfect - that's a shame! I'll bet you got some great pictures there anyway though. Nothing lasts forever. Isn't that what photography's all about?

Jun 26 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Jun 26 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Glamourscape

St Paul, Alberta, Canada

It's gone ...

SK

This is where a Co-Op studio could come into play. Get several photogs together to share space and maybe capital equipment, and book your times. Everyone pays there monthly rental share + utils.

I wish I could find suach a workshop in my locale.

Jun 26 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

LightWorks Photography

Venice, Florida, US

I just gave up my studio the begining of the year for the first time in 8 years. I found my studio had become a very expensive storage unit as I always shoot on location. I too wish I would have known before I started that all off my time was going to be spent on the businness side of it rather then going out and shooting. I still shoot full time as my only job but so much of my time is spent editing, dealing with suppliers, marketing, and the largest time consumer is collections on commerical clients!!!! Why the hell they feel they do not have to pay for 6 months is beyond me. Anyway I feel your pain. Good lunk in your future photo endevors!
Eric A.

Jun 26 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

Miss Mercy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thats so sad..........

Jun 26 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Richard Wheelock wrote:

This is where a Co-Op studio could come into play. Get several photogs together to share space and maybe capital equipment, and book your times. Everyone pays there monthly rental share + utils.

Sad......but I understand too. I've been self-employed 90% of my working life; I couldn't have done it without the support from my wife (who also happens to hold an Econ degree from the Wharton school!) and a CPA I could trust......

OTOH, another photographer has just opened a rental studio here in Savannah. Did my first shoot there this past weekend, and things went quite well.....as much as I'm planning to use it, it my become a co-op as well.....we'll see.

Jun 26 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Heartbreaking. You have my deepest sympathies.

Jun 26 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I can tell you. I suck at business. I love to create art..but I suck at the business end.

I think you answered your own question.....I was a former studio owner in New Jersey....now I'm in Florida....working from my home.....can't say I miss the grind of keeping up a studio....do miss the space though!

Photography studios have a high mortality rate. 90% of studios go out of business in the first six months......that came to me from three different banks when I was searching for a business loan......I never got one!....but I did bust my ass until I had the money on my own.....

As much as we all enjoy photography....making a living at it is another story.....it requires a whole different set of skills.....managment, communications, marketing and accounting......in my case I had a degree in business management....and learned photography much like everyone here....by trial and error over a long period of time......

General rule of thumb....you must have six months of income stashed away to cover that dead period before your client list begins to build.....and to cover marketing expenses....rent, insurance, equipment purchase or rental.....not a pretty picture, pardon the pun.

But don't give up......regroup and try a different approach.....which is what I did upon relocating to Florida.....hell...for the first 8 years I worked as graphic artist only doing photography part time.....now...I'm getting back full time and loving every minute of it....and doing better the the first six months now.....then when I opened my studio......and the most important thing I could say...is CUT YOUR COSTS!!!......

I sold all my traditional film cameras...35mm and medium format....sold off all my darkroom equipment...but did keep my studio equipment......and went totally digital....bought a new computer with enough power to work maximize my work flow....and a good marketing plan....my client base is literally growing daily.....and I'm happy as the proverbial clam....and my COSTS are minimal.....so stop doing all that TFP shooting, especially if you're using film based equipment.....it's costing you MONEY!!....or at least invest in some good digital....costs more on the front end...but you save a ton on by back end......

Jun 26 06 07:58 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

I'm so sorry to hear that. Truly.  The things we love the most are always the ones that take the most out of us.

Hope you can start over sometime.

Nemi

Jun 26 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

jimmy blanton

Hawthorne, California, US

Very, very sad indeed, I too want to pack it in and call it quits.  Though I did not have the actual studio I manage to rent spaces at warehouses, homes, etc. to continue my shooting.  But like you my family had to come first (my wife have "Fibromyalgia", crohns, and severe arthritis in her joints; she is only 43 yrs old and need my assistance daily), full time job, and adopted son.  Some time I have to squeeze out a couple of hours out of the week to get a shoot and then sometimes just enough time to surf MM community!  Damn its rough when you have so many ideals, themes and new techniques you want to try but your time is limited.  So trust me I do understand what your going through.  I'm not ready to give up but my future in photography look very bleak right about now!  Anyway good luck.

Jun 26 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tahmad

Corona, California, US

This is a great post. Sad, but also comforting to know that we share the same struggles...
BTW, anyone starting a co-op or renting studio space in So Cal?

Jun 26 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Do you really need a studio to take photographs?  I haven't had anything vaguely resembling a studio space since college and it's never mattered to me or my work.  Rather, I love the thrill of going into new and different enviornments and "making it work" regardless of what [or even who] is around me. 

I, for one, celebrate your independence fromt the creative tyranny of the seamless.  There's a whole planet for you to take excellent pictures in.

Jun 26 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Where did I go wrong? I can tell you. I suck at business.

The hardest part of photography is making money at it.

Jun 26 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I love the thrill of going into new and different enviornments and "making it work" regardless of what [or even who] is around me.

You rock.

mjr.

Jun 26 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Hey you had it for a year. That is cool. I shoot in my dineing room. Think about that guy Walt Disney. He went bust about a hundred times. Success is rairley a straight line.

Jun 26 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Touching story. I have a small space that I use as an office, mini studio. The rent is affordable, but sometimes I question why I need the overhead of rent. 90% of what I shoot is location, but I do need a place to store props etc,. I guess a storage unit might be cheaper, but then again I like to have a place to retreat to now and then. The key I guess would be to make the space pay for itself. That age old dilemma of artistic persuit vs financial stability is a hard nut to crack.

Crazy buisiness this buisiness of photography is.

Jun 26 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Judging by your photos on MM, you do not need a studio that big to create the great shots you have. As for me, I am expanding my second story deck in the backyard so that I can have a larger studio underneath it. Its goiing to be 32 x 16 with 10 foot ceilings. For now, I shoot on locatyion, in my living room and outdoors

good luck

Jun 26 06 08:57 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Britt Castaneda

Farmers Branch, Texas, US

I'm sure it feels dis-heartening now.Being a collector of vintage furnishings myself I know the stories that go along with each piece.The thrill of the hunt and the history attached to each item.Not to mention our own attachment.
I do agree with the others that your work is such a high caliber that studio or not,your work will not suffer having to shoot on location.
Especially,if "Working Girl" is any indication,you will produce nothing short of brilliancy!

Jun 26 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Crazy buisiness this buisiness of photography is...I am still trying to deceide how to make sweet $$$$moola$$$$ at what I love to do.
As for your story, thats exactly what makes me hesitate on opening a studio...thanks for the story.

Jun 26 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Another double damn post so I will edit to make sense...
Here comes the tough love from a dutch uncle...Make up your mind on  what you want to do and do it...nobody can master one thing when you have several pokers in the fire at the same time.

Jun 26 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Hey Friend,

What a beautiful but said story. I'm sure you have touched the heart and minds of every photographer here. I too have also wanted to build a studio. Yours sounded perfect. Unfortunately, it often comes back to money. Very few people want to pay for the services of a talented photographer. It's killing off many good people like yourself.

I think very few realize the financial burdens of a professional photographer. I myself TFP less and less all the time and never hesitate to thanks. I'll say one thing though; the people I have TFP'd with have been sensational; especially lately. It's these few beautiful and considerate people that keep the passion alive.

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

And yes its very sad to hear about your loss, but the question is where did you go wrong?

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

It sucks that you aren't able to keep a studio.  The way the main tennant in our studio keeps it up is by subleasing to me every month and to a few others. 

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have your own space again soon, on your own, or by subleasing from another photographer.

Jun 26 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Richard Wheelock wrote:

This is a very good idea. I'd love to pursue this in Portland. /t

I do share the pain of the OP. I've learned one thing in business: no matter how good you are, if people don't know about you then you're soon packing boxes.  Sad, but true.

Perhaps he can pursue his dream in the future.  My best, Tim

Jun 27 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

That's the main reason shooting out of you Home Base, then the models think you suck because you ain't got a studio !!!!!!!!!!! Photography, I Feel your pain !!!!!!!..... I am thinking of just selling all my stuff .............................

Manny D.

Jun 27 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

sir , I like to help you ..........

Jun 27 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I feel for you. I'm trying to resist the urge to get back into another studio now, but have resisted the obscene overhead here in SoCal for what would only get used part-time at best. Don't give up though, you may be able to better plan next time - you have invaluable experience now!

Best,
Wm

Jun 27 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

S T A G E 4 D E T

Detroit, Alabama, US

I must say that as a shooter for 30 plus years I sincerely understand your feelings
there is nothing like having your own space to shoot in ,I have gone through 3 studios,simply because I refuse to do business from my home,One must learn at times to stop makeing a liveing and make a life,commitment to family is always so important and it is  great to have someone you love and care for in your corner.I
think so many people think that what we as shooters do is so easy and glamorous
that they have no idea of what it takes to run the business end of it,the bills do not stop when things slow down,TFP type of work will not help with operating cost
It takes money to live your passion,I say my best to you my friend,, time will one day allow you the shot at this game maybe a smaller studio, or co-op situation or one day that big account will land in your lap and I hope you will be ready for that,just never give up your dream and from passion will come success..My best to you Stage4fotografik Detroit.

Jun 27 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks for all the replies! so many good ideas and suggestions have come from this post.

It's sad to leave the studio after only a year. I had enough money socked away to last this long, but I think of all the ways I could have invested that money to actually MAKE money..ha ha ha.. Well, like they say in drag racing "The only way to make a million is to start with ten".

One good thing that will come of the time I did shoot there..I'm doing a Pin-Up Calander to get back some money. I did one two years ago and learned alot from that experience. I broke even, maybe made a little, but learned how to do it right. I will this time.

I forgot to mention that I've been shooting since '79 ( not pro) and my main shooting is  feature cars for magazines, so I'm on location most of the time in the warmer months (east coast..) It was the winter months that I really appreciated the studio space. I have to say that MM was a God-send. I was on that "other" place and never got the work I had from here. And then there's this message board...You guys (and girls) kick ass. Thank you..I'll stick around..

SK

Jun 27 06 06:59 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

For so many years my dream was to have my own space. My own studio away from my house, where I could keep my lights set up all the time, and a place where I could store all of my vintage stuff, maybe have it all on display like a museum. Last year I finally did it. I rented a nice 1,000 Sq. ft. space in the city near my day job. It was a perfect place..high ceilings and big windows that faced north and had blinds on them so the light could be controlled in the day. It was an old building that was built in the 1800's and used to be a flour mill. Wood beams...everything..and it was MY space. far enough away from home that I could get away when I wanted. Close enough that I could be there in 15 mins. No matter what time of day. That was a year ago this month.

I started with just my lighting kit and my back drops. Slowly I began moving things into the space and it began to take shape. Moved a 1950's vintage couch up those two flights of stairs. Beutiful curved couch. That was the first piece. Next came a bunch of mid-century modern chairs and tables, and lamps....It was starting to get crowded. Then came more and more shoots. My weekends were spent shopping at yard sales and flea markets, looking for props...soon the place was looking more like I had always wanted. It was perfect. I hung my art on the walls and couldn't wait to show anyone who wanted to see the place. My dreams were coming true.

Then came May..no work coming in, and no time to do it anyway. Full time day job..family..house being neglected..shooting for car magazines in my free time...The studio sat empty most of the time. weeks go by before I even go there again.

Now its June..Lease is up and I'm moving out. Packed things up in boxes today..it was sad putting all those things away. Each piece had its own story...

Where did I go wrong? I can tell you. I suck at business. I love to create art..but I suck at the business end. Too many TFP/Cd's? Maybe... But its time to get back to reality. It was a fun year..

SK

Hello Kilmer - I know what it's like to say goodbye to something that you worked hard for and that gave you pride. 

I hope you will learn to look at it this way: I've given up my studio space enclosed by walls - turned it inside out - NOW THE WHOLE WORLD IS MY STUDIO!

Bon Chance!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 27 06 07:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

DeAnn C

Katy, Texas, US

This is the reason we have converted our 2 car oversized garage into out Studio.  We have had people ask if we would like to go into business with them but we have no overhead with doing it within out own house.  I am sorry you had to close your studio, I know the back breaking work it takes to make it all come into shape.  I know we could do more business if we had an offsite studio but would it be enough to cover the rent, utilites and the insurance, I think not so for now we will continue to produce beautiful images in our studio garage.

DeAnn

Jun 27 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Contrast Imaging

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

We have such a co-op here in Cleveland, and it's a good idea, but maybe the # of studio shooters/demand for shared studio space is decreasing.  We just lost one of our studio partners but (I think) we're on the verge of replacing her.  The interesting thing is how difficult it's turned out to be to find a replacement.  I mean, given the price we're asking ($250/month) and the size of the studio (5000 sq ft), you'd think people would have been jumping all over it.  Similarly, we rent the space out for half-day and full-day shoots and I've only had one or two people rent it in the last couple of months.  So, a co-op can work IF you have the right group of people put together beforehand.  But trying to go out and find people "cold" seems a bit difficult.

Richard Wheelock wrote:

Jun 27 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I think that you need a lot of commercial business to support a studio.  I like location shoots myself.  I know of a New York phtographer who moved his studio to New Jersey because the New York location was becoming too expensive to maintain.

Jun 27 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

A very sad story of a dream not fulfilling itself when reality came.

There's a lesson here for us all that dream of similar. Be realistic with the business side of things.

I'm sorry you've lost that precious space, but hope you'll be able to treasure the memories of it, and the work created in it.

And above all, I hope you've kept your passion for photography.

Jun 27 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Michael LaPolla

Utica, New York, US

From what I learned is that photography is 70% business and 30% photography.You could be one of the best shooters and end up nowhere...There are many books and dvd's on how to run a photography business. DONT GIVE UP!

Jun 27 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

Did you try to rent it out when you were not using it? Good chance there are photographers in you area that would have liked to rent it for a session or two on an hourly basis, which could have been a supplemental income and helped pay the bills.

Jun 27 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

SK

I run my own photography studio and the key for ME is to keep the overhead low and managable.
We all want a space you described,
BUT,
well......it's hard to maintain when times are SLOW.
I've improved in my marketing/business skills.......in the past seven years when I first opened,
and
every year I try and get better as well.
Anyone serious must get good at marketing, AT ANY AGE.
The excuse that we are artists that suck at marketing" must stop being used,
as it usually means "we're lazy" AT marketing.
I see it time and time again in Hollywood.
Your story saddens me,
cuz I've been there.
Great warning to other photogs that get SMITTEN when they see a GREAT space.

Jun 27 06 09:42 am Link