Forums > General Industry > Its Gone..Closing My Studio..

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kilmer Photography wrote:
Where did I go wrong? I can tell you. I suck at business. I love to create art..but I suck at the business end. Too many TFP/Cd's? Maybe... But its time to get back to reality. It was a fun year..

SK

My opinion... if you don't shoot full time for a living with several steady accounts who hire you all the time.... whose assignemnts pay you enough to carry the studio... have a studio in your home.

Lack of revenue stream and costs that won't be covered out of the business is not a good idea.

The old adage "Keep your overhead low" is always true.

I think with a great studio that you had... you should have completely focussing on the developement of the revenue stream, but, slow business and "not in the mood" won't cut it.

Too bad that you have to give up such a beautiful studio, for which you obviously really cared for.

Jun 27 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

phcorcoran wrote:

The hardest part of photography is making money at it.

Amen brutha...

Jun 27 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

Reality...

Jun 27 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Moved a 1950's vintage couch up those two flights of stairs. Beutiful curved couch. That was the first piece.
SK

Soooo was your business plan in place before or after the couch placement? smile

Jun 27 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

Meehan Photography wrote:

Soooo was your business plan in place before or after the couch placement? smile

Ha Ha Ha..well, the business plan looked great until I got the couch..then the business plan got moved..out the window! I mis-spelled "Beautiful"...

Anyway, I'm looking into a few other options including a couple Co-Ops in my area. I went too far too fast the first time. Now that I'm broke I'm thinking clearer..like a broke person. ways to save and thinking smart. I had way too much money a year ago!

SK

Jun 27 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I, for one, celebrate your independence fromt the creative tyranny of the seamless.  There's a whole planet for you to take excellent pictures in.

This is truth.  Think outside the box(studio).

Where did I go wrong? I can tell you. I suck at business. I love to create art..but I suck at the business end.

The best thing is that you recognize this.  Many people don't.

When I quit my job and decided to go into photography, in the early stages I talked with a photographer about the direction I wanted to take.  I told him I planned to go to school for photography because I felt I needed a degree in it to be successful.  He asked me what my degree is in.  When I told him it is in Economics he shook his head, laughed and said "You'll be fine.  Likely you're better equipped to do photography as a business than most..."

Jun 27 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

Kilmer...  if you ever want to talk I have a few suggestions off line...   send me a phone number to my email.

Jun 28 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Paul Callaby UK

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

The whole studio thing is as widespread as photohraphers themselves, I had a studio, a old barn which I used a lot to start with but in the end it too became a gloryfied store room and I ended up going back to working from home.

I would have another studio if I could find the right place at the right price because I know it wouldn't get used loads as a lot of my work is shot on location now days.

Jun 28 06 10:26 am Link