Forums > General Industry > What's so sexy about Graveyards?

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

What is so freaking great about a gothic model straddling a tombstone?? Not only is it cliche, but it’s really disrespectful! Using a cemetery as a backdrop...fine, but don't roll around on the headstones. How many models would perch themselves on top of the roof of a house, or on top of a car of a person that they don't know? Hopefully none and hopefully no photographer is asking them to violate property like that. Ew, i think i'm just frustrated because i'm sick of angsty girls with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent while sandwiched in between a husband and wife. So there, my rant…Moral: Its hard to make that kind of stuff look tasteful, and its been done!

Jun 25 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

All the boners

Jun 25 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(*does the NOLA shuffle*)

Jun 25 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

Yes, its cliche'. But disrespectful? A tombstone is a friggin' piece of concrete, who cares? I wouldn't mind at all if sexy goth girls were rolling around on my tombstone....Hell, let them dig me up after I'm dead and shoot some pics with my rotted corpse for all I care!

Jun 25 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Israel wrote:
...Hell, let them dig me up after I'm dead and shoot some pics with my rotted corpse for all I care!

As in "Drop-dead gorgeous"?

Jun 25 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

I guess i just come from the school of thought that dead people should be left alone..and this rant directly relates to some stupid looking, distasteful photos i saw. And i actually have yet to see something of that nature that was worth everyones time and effort

Jun 25 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

What's funny is how everyone uses the term 'goth' for the suicide girl / vampire look. All the black clothes with heavy eye makeup and crazy pink hair etc. when the goths from about 300-400 b.c. I think?..didn't look anything like that. Just one of my rambling thoughts....about the gravestones...
Yes I think it's somewhat of a sacred place and maybe the allure of being a naughty little vampire (rebel) and take pictures here is attractive and riske to some. All in all, I think it can possibly lead to some interesting contrasts for scenery. I personally don't have any desire to ever shoot in a graveyard but to each their own I guess.

Jun 25 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Rachel of RageWear wrote:
I guess i just come from the school of thought that dead people should be left alone..and this rant directly relates to some stupid looking, distasteful photos i saw. And i actually have yet to see something of that nature that was worth everyones time and effort

Well, it's certainly as easy to make CRAP pictures in a cemetery as anywhere else.

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

guess i just come from the school of thought that dead people should be left alone..

some of the hard-core VooDoo tribe in New Orleans (NOLA) will feel differently ...

... but yeah, you're right, there are some graveyard photos that are in poor taste.

FML

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

What is so sexy about graveyards?
Well...
The dead, rotting, corpses, for one.  Skeletons.  Ghosts.  The possibility of zombies.  ..Are you turned on, yet?

Photographer

Israel Kendall

I don't personally care for the graveyard photos either. But just because you and I don't like the shots, does that mean they have no artistic value? Hell, I don't like the Mona Lisa, but there are a lot of crazies out there who think it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Jun 25 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

..what's so sexy about Graveyards?...hmmm hundreds of girls (or boys) that won't say NO??? = )

I think I should go to bed...

Jun 25 06 01:54 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Anyway.
I have a graveyard shot in my portofolio and there's a whole [implied] story behind it.
It has a lot of meaning.
Go check it out.
Oh yeah, and don't forget to leave comments!

Jun 25 06 01:56 am Link

Model

Flyte Of The DRAGON

Encinitas, California, US

lol... many people would perch on a roof of a house (if they could climb up it in a convenient way) and many models pose on cars that aren't even there's all the time... The "art" industry is a rebelious industry if you're into doing new things... Everything "cliche" I think is crap but if you're ballsy enough to take that risk into doing something raw and almost illegal... then its fucking sexy... But posing on a tombstone? ... maybe if its Jim Morrison or John Lennons

Jun 25 06 01:57 am Link

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

I can usually at least find something redeeming in just about any form of art, perhaps this is a model stereotype issue i'm having...
As models (and photographers, and stylists, etc) we fall into patterns, the same poses, the same expressions, similar hair, make up, and so on. What happened to being creative, can't people think of something spooky that isn't a cemetery?

Jun 25 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Anyway.
I have a graveyard shot in my portofolio and there's a whole [implied] story behind it.
It has a lot of meaning.
Go check it out.

If I hadn't read the caption...I wouldn't have guessed the 'implied' story behind it since you don't look pregnant in the shot or really thought of you being at a graveyard for that matter since it's really kinda hard to tell where you are in the shot.

Jun 25 06 01:58 am Link

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Anyway.
It has a lot of meaning.
quote]
Yeah, not really what i was complaining about...like i said in the first post, backgrounds are fine and whatnot..just humping a headstone is not really my idea of a tasteful picture

Jun 25 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

Why is everyone associating sexy with graveyards in the first place? I'd like to see some of these photos that raised this issue. If the intent was to be "sexy" in a graveyard, then I will agree with everyone who is arguing against it. There is no place in a cemetery for "sexy".
However, cemeteries certainly have many appealing qualities for photography. The provide fantastic light and shadows in the ones with tall trees. The can provide a mood for the shot. All of this can be achieved without even revealing the fact that it is in a cemetery.
I also happen to have 3 photos currently in my portfolio that were taken in cemeteries. My intention certainly was not for them to be "sexy". I want to know if everyone here considers these to be distasteful and disrespecting to the inhabitants of graveyards.
Shane

Jun 25 06 02:03 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

If I hadn't read the caption...I wouldn't have guessed the 'implied' story behind it since you don't look pregnant in the shot or really thought of you being at a graveyard for that matter since it's really kinda hard to tell where you are in the shot.

Funny.
The photo was in the photographer's port before mine, with a different caption that doesn't explain the story, and people left comments on it expressing that they thought that's what was going on.
It's very clear that there are tombstones in the shot, including the one my hand is on.

I wasn't asking for critique, by the way.

Jun 25 06 02:04 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Anyway.
It has a lot of meaning.
quote]
Yeah, not really what i was complaining about...like i said in the first post, backgrounds are fine and whatnot..just humping a headstone is not really my idea of a tasteful picture

Well.. What if I was naked in that photo?
[I'm asking because we did more shots that were nude.]

Jun 25 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

You know....

If I was lying in a graveyard for a long time....

And some cute girl was sitting on my headstone....

Don't think I'd mind it much. Break up the monotony.

Jun 25 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Go check it out.

Huh?

Jun 25 06 02:07 am Link

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

The Things Ive Seen wrote:
Why is everyone associating sexy with graveyards in the first place? I'd like to see some of these photos that raised this issue. If the intent was to be "sexy" in a graveyard, then I will agree with everyone who is arguing against it. There is no place in a cemetery for "sexy".
However, cemeteries certainly have many appealing qualities for photography. The provide fantastic light and shadows in the ones with tall trees. The can provide a mood for the shot. All of this can be achieved without even revealing the fact that it is in a cemetery.
I also happen to have 3 photos currently in my portfolio that were taken in cemeteries. My intention certainly was not for them to be "sexy".

Thank you! thats what i mean, as long as the model isnt crawling all over the headstones, i'm sure a photog can make something amazing

Jun 25 06 02:08 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Huh?

That's my way of showing how I feel about at least half of the members of this site.  It didn't even occur to you as a humorous comment because you're so used to seeing things like that.. Am I right?

Jun 25 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Yada Yada Yada, another subject no one can agree on. I like the pix I took in the graveyard. Lots of them. Only one Goth girl tho. Go take pictures YOU like. Maybe I will like them, I am pretty openminded that way.

Jun 25 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

That's my way of showing how I feel about at least half of the members of this site.  It didn't even occur to you as a humorous comment because you're so used to seeing things like that.. Am I right?

Lol, I love you.

Jun 25 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

It's very clear that there are tombstones in the shot, including the one my hand is on.

I wasn't asking for critique, by the way.

Actually I was just commenting...but if you wanna be that way about it...
I wouldn't say the tombstones in the shot are 'clear' as they are out of focus. The one your hand is on is practicly cut out of the shot all together.
And you were asking for comments and I left one. If you disagreed with it, that doesn't automatically make it a critique. A critique would be something more like .... "...the range of tones is nice for a sepia shot. The lighting is nice. The expression is lost and a bit blank..." etc.

Jun 25 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

J Schumacher wrote:
You know....

If I was lying in a graveyard for a long time....

And some cute girl was sitting on my headstone....

Don't think I'd mind it much. Break up the monotony.

Unless you're a lawyer...then you'd be buried too deep to notice.

Jun 25 06 02:16 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Actually I was just commenting...but if you wanna be that way about it...
I wouldn't say the tombstones in the shot are 'clear' as they are out of focus. The one your hand is on is practicly cut out of the shot all together.
And you were asking for comments and I left one. If you disagreed with it, that doesn't automatically make it a critique. A critique would be something more like The tombstones are out of focus on purpose.  No one else had a p.... "...the range of tones is nice for a sepia shot. The lighting is nice. The expression is lost and a bit blank..." etc.

Okay, I get what you're saying.  I guess I wasn't ready for you to tell me what you didn't like about something I only jokingly asked for comments on [and when people ask for comments, they mean they want you to leave them on their portfolio.]  People like [and get] the photo, including myself.. And that's really all I care about.

If I had actually meant that I wanted you to tell me what you think of it, I would be very appreciative.  So, let's pretend that's the case.  Thank you.

Jun 25 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Okay, I get what you're saying.  I guess I wasn't ready for you to tell me what you didn't like about something I only jokingly asked for comments on [and when people ask for comments, they mean they want you to leave them on their portfolio.]  People like [and get] the photo, including myself.. And that's really all I care about.

If I had actually meant that I wanted you to tell me what you think of it, I would be very appreciative.  So, let's pretend that's the case.  Thank you.

Let me apologize for any tone that might have come across. It was not what was intended. You have a nice port and a great attitude. It's late...and my brain doesn't function so well on a lack of sleep..smile
Best, MK

Jun 25 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

absolutely nothing

Jun 25 06 02:31 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Thanks for the apology, but I don't think it was necessary.  Good night. 

Anthony Wallace wrote:
absolutely nothing

Except for all of the sexy dead stuff!

Jun 25 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I have never ever thought of a graveyard as sexy.  I have shot in a few but for a certain look. But never one that anybody would consider as sexy. 

The graveyard is just a prop to me. bs

Jun 25 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

I have done cemetary shoots but I will say that straddling a tombstone as described is not only highly disrespectful and in bad taste, but can be very expensive to repair or replace.  I would have given the model better direction.  I have been around 300 year old tombstones and well they are usually granite slate or marble not cement. 

The whole 'goth' style is an acquired taste that many 'conformists' are trying to emulate and they do not really get all the subgenres that go along with it.  And do not use vampirefreaks dot com for reference, the average user is 15.

Jun 25 06 07:32 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Nothing

Jun 25 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Graveyards are one of those things that you either think its really cool to work in (especially capturing the pattern'y effect of rows & rows of gravestones) or its sacrilage.

For me, graveyards are fine but I unfortunately turned down a model friend's request to shoot in her local church (citing she loved how the light shined through the stained glass windows). Basically told her to get the priest's permission & I'd do it the next time I saw her.

Messing w/ the dead is fine w/ me but I don't mess w/ God. *shivers up my back*

Jun 25 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

I have shot in cemetaries several times.  I love the contrast they provide for subject matter.  Think about it for a second.....Life - Death, Warm - cold, Stone - Flesh, Young - old....I could go on and on, the fact is they are great backdrops.  As far as the disrespect part...we enter this world without any clothes and go out the same way...frankly if some pretty girl was perched on my gravestone it might actually wake my dead ass body up and make me want to get out of that damn coffin and star in the next thriller video lol!
GW

Jun 25 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

What is so freaking great about a gothic model straddling a tombstone?? Not only is it cliche, but it’s really disrespectful! Using a cemetery as a backdrop...fine, but don't roll around on the headstones. How many models would perch themselves on top of the roof of a house, or on top of a car of a person that they don't know? Hopefully none and hopefully no photographer is asking them to violate property like that. Ew, i think i'm just frustrated because i'm sick of angsty girls with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent while sandwiched in between a husband and wife. So there, my rant…Moral: Its hard to make that kind of stuff look tasteful, and its been done!

Dear Graveyard Fashion Arbiter:

Well I'm sure glad you have set us all straight on this! There's a lot of people here who have shot these kinds of scenes and probably don't realize all the ways it's wrong that you've explained. I'm really glad that someone, particularly someone who can draw on their vast experience in the field, can spell it out so well. It's an opportunity for all of us to learn. That doesn't even touch the many of us who might have made one (or even more) of these cliched, disrespectful images of some angsty girl with dark eye makeup and might have even instructed the model to pout (as you so carefully point out).

I hope all my fellow photographers in MM-land will heed Rachel's advice and her moral. "It's been done!" she says. No point in wasting your damn time on this kind of stuff. I have a few graveyard shots, and, for that, I apologize. On behalf of my fellow photographers, I thank you for your deep and sage advice. There certainly is no room in our field for this kind of "imagery."

Jun 25 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

Loni Anne

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Personally, I don't see what's so sexy about fake breasts, hair extensions, and tacky clothing and lingerie, but some people really think it's hot.  There is something beautiful about death... it's seductive and mysterious.  I did a photoshoot on a cloudy day in a 200 year old cemetary, and a silent, unexpected snow began to fall while we were shooting.  The pictures came out beautiful.  Everyone has different tastes, and, after all...
The only thing we can all count on is that someday we will all pass.

Jun 25 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Cemeteries are for the living,.......not the dead.

Jun 25 06 05:45 pm Link