Forums > General Industry > What's so sexy about Graveyards?

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
I hope all my fellow photographers in MM-land will heed Rachel's advice and her moral. "It's been done!" she says. No point in wasting your damn time on this kind of stuff.

We should all hang it up everyone. Its all been done.

The Egyptians copied Babylonian sculptures. The Greeks copied Egyptian sculptures. The Romans copied the Greeks. The French Neoclassists all copied the Romans. The British Neo-gothic all copied the French & Italien Medieval Gothics. The Lincoln Memorial is basically a copy of the Parthenon. Pollack copied from the Japanese. Marcel Duchamp copied & then parodied the Mona Lisa.

Everything that has been done, has been done before. Its what you do w/ the material & how you present it that counts.

Jun 25 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It is too easy to condemn photos in graveyards. In 1996  Barbara Gowdy( a Canadian writer) story's We So Seldom Look On Love was made into a very strange and very interesting movie Kissed that began Molly Parker's (Deadwood). The movie was directed by a talented canadian female director, Lynne Stopkewich. The whole movie is about a woman who is "into" dead men. For me it was a provocative film that was completely about a woman's point of view. I found it fascinating. I had the opportunity to photograph both actress and director for this. I photographed them in their hotel room and then I took my pictures to a local cemetery. Here are the results that ran large an in colour in the Globe & Mail because they liked the image so much. About all I can say is that we have a fascination/attraction/ repulsion for graveyards.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/MollyParkerandLynneStopkewich.jpg

Jun 25 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mec Art Photography

Kingston, New York, US

I like them for the atmosphere..  they are quiet and you don't get too many walkthru's when shooting outdoors..

of course must have a suitable model.

Also, the one I shoot at borders a busy rail line, so I get bonus shots.

Jun 25 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Graveyards also have an attraction since they are invariably  linked to our religious beliefs or lack of them. If we lack any we might use graveyard photos as a way to schock those into what we don't believe in.

Artists through the ages have tapped religious themes. In some cases to educate the unlearned masses by placing scenes from the bible on stained glass windows. Every artist at one time had to do a Madonna and child and so on. I find religious themes fascinating. In the last couple of years I have been working on Madonnas and ethnic Madonnas (such as Peruvian, Mexican, etc virgins). Here is an example where I collaborated with an artist friend.
Alexwh
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060623/14/ … 19b992.jpg

Jun 25 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Collin J. Rae wrote:
..what's so sexy about Graveyards?...hmmm hundreds of girls (or boys) that won't say NO??? = )

I think I should go to bed...

Ha! "Dead girls can't say no" wink

Jun 25 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Personally, graveyards to me are not sexy.  That said, I think I can see the appeal for some in that regard.  Sex is perhaps the epitome of what it means to be ALIVE. By it's very nature, it celebrates it. Put that in a graveyard--which is a symbol of death--and it is not much of a stretch to see the interesting dichotomy.

When I first started jogging seriously more than 15 years ago, I made a part of my run wind through a graveyard. Knowing--and being reminded--that some of the people buried there died early because they did not take care of themselves helped me to keep at the excercise without complait. A wake-up call on every run. Running, you know, is a celebration of life too!  It--like sex--allows you to look death right in the face and laugh. At least a little.  :-)

Jun 25 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Rachel of RageWear wrote:
What is so freaking great about a gothic model straddling a tombstone?? Not only is it cliche, but it’s really disrespectful! Using a cemetery as a backdrop...fine, but don't roll around on the headstones. How many models would perch themselves on top of the roof of a house, or on top of a car of a person that they don't know? Hopefully none and hopefully no photographer is asking them to violate property like that. Ew, i think i'm just frustrated because i'm sick of angsty girls with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent while sandwiched in between a husband and wife. So there, my rant…Moral: Its hard to make that kind of stuff look tasteful, and its been done!

Yeah, the graveyard thing has been done to death.  So had the quasi industrial dredlocked white chick with big boots.   As with anything artistic, it boils down to what's being said and how well it's being said.  That being said, we literally walk over the dead all the time.  We just don't know it.  I'm completely against trashing cemetaries but I do think it's kinda odd that places for the dead are sometimes much nicer and more vast than open spaces for the living.

Jun 25 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

Yeah, the graveyard thing has been done to death.  So had the quasi industrial dredlocked white chick with big boots.

ouch!

too too funny!

Jun 25 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Carmilla wrote:

Hey Carmilla - good point.  And you do that "angsty girl with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent" very well too. Bad girl!

Jun 25 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

https://photoworks.ws/models/samantha/images/CB04019w200.jpg

Click here for a larger version The model is Samantha MM 99376

Jun 25 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Anastasia BeverHousen

ad̨-D̨āli', ad-Dāli', Yemen

I don't find them sexy...but I do find them beautiful and serene and I love them and have done photos in them...no naked chicks straddling anything...I save that for the morgue.

Jun 25 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

myself01

Houston, Alaska, US

Israel wrote:
Yes, its cliche'. But disrespectful? A tombstone is a friggin' piece of concrete, who cares? I wouldn't mind at all if sexy goth girls were rolling around on my tombstone....Hell, let them dig me up after I'm dead and shoot some pics with my rotted corpse for all I care!

hahahahahhahaha damn right!!!!

Jun 25 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

myself01

Houston, Alaska, US

Israel wrote:
Yes, its cliche'. But disrespectful? A tombstone is a friggin' piece of concrete, who cares? I wouldn't mind at all if sexy goth girls were rolling around on my tombstone....Hell, let them dig me up after I'm dead and shoot some pics with my rotted corpse for all I care!

hahahahahhahaha damn right!!!!

Jun 25 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Zakiya Soleil

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Rachel of RageWear wrote:
What is so freaking great about a gothic model straddling a tombstone?? Not only is it cliche, but it’s really disrespectful! Using a cemetery as a backdrop...fine, but don't roll around on the headstones. How many models would perch themselves on top of the roof of a house, or on top of a car of a person that they don't know? Hopefully none and hopefully no photographer is asking them to violate property like that. Ew, i think i'm just frustrated because i'm sick of angsty girls with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent while sandwiched in between a husband and wife. So there, my rant…Moral: Its hard to make that kind of stuff look tasteful, and its been done!

Man o man. I totally agree. Its been done waaay too many times and is very disrespectful; to the individual that passed and their loved ones.

Jun 25 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

Hey Carmilla - good point.  And you do that "angsty girl with dark eye makeup, pouting, and trying to look innocent" very well too. Bad girl!

Well thank you. Too bad you only work with people 18 and over. I'd suggest a graveyard shoot wink

Jun 25 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

myself01

Houston, Alaska, US

Pretty_Dollface wrote:

Man o man. I totally agree. Its been done waaay too many times and is very disrespectful; to the individual that passed and their loved ones.

not everyone has the same opinion. for some it might look disrespectful for some it wont. Like a christian person would find it disrespectful to have sex before marriage for some it isn't.Its about everyone's beliefs ^V^

Jun 25 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

cathedral wrote:

not everyone has the same opinion. for some it might look disrespectful for some it wont. Like a christian person would find it disrespectful to have sex before marriage for some it isn't.Its about everyone's beliefs ^V^

Out of curiousity, I've looked at the various Graveyard Fashion Arbiter's pages and have found them to be rather limited in scope and experience. It's such a leap of faith to think that the photo is disrespectful. Pretty Dollface would have benefited from reading the thread before she posted.

Jun 25 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Personally I think we should be discussing the gas mask and bikini genre which never seems to rise above hilarity.

Nothing hot about a cemetery for me, but I shot in a cemetery recently...allowed me to explore a couple themes and better yet afforded a quiet & bucolic shooting oasis in an otherwise busy city. Actually will be back for a picnic in the near future with my family.

Jun 26 06 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Loni Anne wrote:
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Personally, I don't see what's so sexy about fake breasts, hair extensions, and tacky clothing and lingerie, but some people really think it's hot.  There is something beautiful about death... it's seductive and mysterious.  I did a photoshoot on a cloudy day in a 200 year old cemetary, and a silent, unexpected snow began to fall while we were shooting.  The pictures came out beautiful.  Everyone has different tastes, and, after all...
The only thing we can all count on is that someday we will all pass.

I 100% agree death is beautiful. Yes it's sad and painful for those left behind but none the less it's beautiful. To avoid getting into religion here I'll just say this. This life on earth sucks and to know these people left to a greater place is very beautiful. Some naked chick on top of a head stone for the shock factor it crap in my book but anytime someone can pull off a great deal of emotion in a death related picture it's pure art in my book.

https://myspace-817.vo.llnwd.net/00829/71/80/829110817_l.jpg

Jun 26 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

H Morgen wrote:
I don't find them sexy...but I do find them beautiful and serene and I love them and have done photos in them...no naked chicks straddling anything...I save that for the morgue.

lmao

Jun 26 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Carmilla wrote:

Or complain about their looks.....but do you need a model release?????? or is release from life enought???

Jun 26 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Badspirit Studios

Edmonton, Kentucky, US

It's like this.... some folks like hamhocks, some folks like porkchops and some folks like vegetable soup.... You don't like pictures of people in graveyards???? That's ok.... your entitled to your opinion. But some do and that's their right to it.

Jun 26 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Oh fine, so I should just quit shooting for Necrophiliacs Monthly!!?

Jun 26 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Adams Photography

Eufaula, Alabama, US

I just really like trying to piss off dead people.

Jun 26 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
To avoid getting into religion here I'll just say this. This life on earth sucks and to know these people left to a greater place is very beautiful.

whoops, failed.

Jun 26 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Curt Burgess wrote:

whoops, failed.

I could have got much more into detail and covered this forum with my beliefs so move on with your shit starting ways bro. I simply stated my thoughts with trying to leave it as neutral on the religion as possible. If you're looking to start some sort of online computer battle why don't you save us all the head ache and beat yourself in the face with your keyboard.

Jun 26 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

alexwh wrote:
It is too easy to condemn photos in graveyards. In 1996  Barbara Gowdy( a Canadian writer) story's We So Seldom Look On Love was made into a very strange and very interesting movie Kissed that began Molly Parker's (Deadwood).

excellent movie!

i've done several shoots in cemeteries. i find them, as other people have already said, serene and beautiful, almost romantic in a very dreary sort of way. if all youthink about is that there's dead people, then you wont understand.

Jun 26 06 10:14 am Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

http://graveblog.southeastmusicmedia.com/index.php
Graveyard Girls.Net

http://k43.pbase.com/u12/dstrotter/uplo … CT4283.JPG
(Picture from graveyardgirls.net)

Ask these people why its sexy or why people are attracted to it. I used to be afraid of graveyards, more so afraid of death. Now I'm not. So whats the logical next step? To take pictures in a graveyard of course. Overdone or not, they can still look wonderfull if youve got a classy model and a beautiful graveyard.

Jun 26 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:

I could have got much more into detail and covered this forum with my beliefs so move on with your shit starting ways bro. I simply stated my thoughts with trying to leave it as neutral on the religion as possible. If you're looking to start some sort of online computer battle why don't you save us all the head ache and beat yourself in the face with your keyboard.

whoa!!!!

Jun 26 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Or complain about their looks.....but do you need a model release?????? or is release from life enought???

That's the great part...no need for paperwork wink

Jun 26 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

On another hand, I also like graveyards because of the architecture and order.  It's not like there's a plethora of old stone buildings in the local area that have any amount of style and that I can get into.

As for sexy?  Why are vampires sexy?  I don't know.

Now I'm thinking of this mother nature theme in a cemetary and returning the dead to her (the earth) a whole new cycle....hmm, lots of makeup and some nudity.  Maybe sexy, maybe not, who's to say?

Jun 26 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Xochitl

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I've had fun shooting in Graveyards simply because is it so quiet & there is something to be said for the art all around.  Some even have an area that has no actual dead bodies below, almost a shopping area for headstones.  This is where I shoot as to not disrespect any dearly departed & it looks like the real thing.  However, I wouldn't care if someone took a pic on my headstone.  I know it has been really played out but then again it just depends on many variables.

Jun 26 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Rachel Street

Naperville, Illinois, US

Just something ironic...I dont want to hurt any feelings, but i thought it was funny, so i revisted this post. I had an MM photog message me this:

Anyways I would like to take some shots in a cemetery, if that is okay with you b/c your outfits are gothy. I just have to find a cemetery first. We'll be doing some with a plain white wall and I'll look for some settings around (insert suburb here)

***To the photog, nothing personal, but let's pick a different location smile***

Jul 08 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Badluckcity Photography

London, Ontario, Canada

Graveyard shoots make me gag. Horrible, horrible, and I don't mean in the disrespectful sense.

Jul 08 06 02:41 pm Link