Forums > General Industry > sex between the lens ?

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

Is it okay to have sex with a model or photographer? Does everyone do it? Is it okay as long it has nothing to with the photo-shoot? Because a lot of photographers and models, and whoever else on this site jokes about booty and sex and getting laid...all the time!  I'd like to know everyone's opinions about this, especially here on Model Mayhem.

Staying Creative Under the Lens,
-Jack

Jun 24 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

I think there are a bunch of topics on this if you'd just put "sex" in the search bar.

...and if you do it (make sure her ID is real)

Jun 24 06 04:51 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

I would say to be careful but if you hit it off why not.

Jun 24 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

joe greene photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Never on an assignment, never when there is a paying client, never without a mutual consent.
Come on to a professional model who works for an agency and you're branded...she could tell everyone to watch out for you and you are screwed professionally...pack up and move away.

Jun 24 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Temptation is always going to be. But business before pleasure. Good one Nelandre.

Jun 24 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Temptation is always going to be. But business before pleasure. Good one Nelandre.

aaaah butchered my name!

Jun 24 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Last I checked they haven't made it illegal for two consenting adults (regardless of industry) to have sex if they so choose..

On the other hand..  I imagine most of the folks here talk about it so much because not so many of them are actually getting any (or much)..

It's certainly my reason.. wink

Personally, I'll keep my banter here.. And stay professional behind the camera..

Jun 24 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Al of Avalon

San Antonio, Texas, US

I don't know, out of the hundreds of women I have photographed, its only happened a once, at the conclusion of an intense shoots.

It is always a remote possibility, and that may add to the tension between model and artist. But, I keep them seperate for many reasons. [ Tears of a clown. :`( ]

But for me, shooting fashion and even sometimes shooting portraits is the next best thing.

Caleb

Jun 24 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Nerlande wrote:

aaaah butchered my name!

uh oh.

Jun 24 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

joe greene photo wrote:
Never on an assignment, never when there is a paying client, never without a mutual consent.
Come on to a professional model who works for an agency and you're branded...she could tell everyone to watch out for you and you are screwed professionally...pack up and move away.

Contrary to popular belief from the gwc's here, professional models aren't looking to "hook up" with a photographer, they want to get great results and go home unscathed at the end of the session.

Joe hit the nail on the head, if a model comes back upset because of a creep photographer slobbering  all over himself and making sexual advances, they're toast, NOBODY wants to have to deal with the antics of some swinging-dick photographer who is convinced the model "wanted it". Rarely is that the case.

Once a photographer starts making the girls feel uncomfortable, they become a liability to all parties involved.

Jun 24 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Nick Ryder wrote:

Contrary to popular belief from the gwc's here, professional models aren't looking to "hook up" with a photographer, they want to get great results and go home unscathed at the end of the session.

Joe hit the nail on the head, if a model comes back upset because of a creep photographer slobbering  all over himself and making sexual advances, they're toast, NOBODY wants to have to deal with the antics of some swinging-dick photographer who is convinced the model "wanted it". Rarely is that the case.

Once a photographer starts making the girls feel uncomfortable, they become a liability to all parties involved.

That wasn't the op's question. He asked if it was ok, not come on to a model who deosn't want you too. But I still say that if the doors are open, you are also opening up alot of other things that come with the territory. And all of them aren't good. Now unless both the photographer and model both have a clear understanding, then cool.

Jun 24 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Anything's OK that hurts no one and isn't illegal.  It's a far smaller deal than most here make it out to be.

-D

Jun 24 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

I am reminded of that Seinfeld episode, where he hired a 'maid' that didn't do much cleaning.

Jun 24 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Paulo Rodrigues

London, England, United Kingdom

Philip of Dallas wrote:
I am reminded of that Seinfeld episode, where he hired a 'maid' that didn't do much cleaning.

Hehe, that happened to me. It didnt end well.

IIRC David Bailey and Marie Helvin used to live around the corner from me so I suppose relationships can happen wherever people work together.

Jun 24 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

The professional in me says "Hell fucking no!"

The human in me says, "Shit happens."

The lawyer in me says, "As long as each party consents to it w/o coerhision or anything & keep it private, I don't care."

Jun 24 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I get them to sign a seperate release.

Jun 24 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

La Galleria Luce wrote:
I get them to sign a seperate release.

If you can get that kind of a "release" with a pen, you have talents many would like to know about..

Jun 24 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I always go for the makeup artists over the models ..... they are more exciting, adventurous and better in the sack.

Jun 24 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

joe greene photo wrote:
never without a mutual consent.

glad you're not a rapist smile

Jun 24 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
It's a far smaller deal than most here make it out to be.

-D

No kidding....

Jun 24 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
I always go for the makeup artists over the models ..... they are more exciting, adventurous and better in the sack.

As long as she's not one of those annoying beret-wearing types... Never sleep (or work with) with a make-up artist or stylist that wears a beret.

Jun 24 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

glad you're not a rapist smile

well--honestly--isn't rape just unrequited sex?

Jun 24 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Kewl, are we talking about sex with models again?  I am glad, it has only been about a couple of weeks since we had the discussion before.

I am usually too busy worrying about taking good pictures to think about having sex with the model.

Jun 24 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Allure Vision

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This question comes up all the time from people in general. I shoot a lot of sexy women. And I'll tell you like I tell everyone else. My job as an artist is to do the best job in a shoot that I can to bring out the best images. I live and survive by not "hitting" on the models. I have had some that have made advances towards me. And I refuse to tell you or anyone else wether anything happened or not. Keep'em curious....

"Allure"

Jun 24 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

jackfrost wrote:
I'd like to know everyone's opinions about this, especially here on Model Mayhem...

What?  Models wanting me to provide photos and horizontal refreshment afterwards, too?  That'll cost 'em extra.  And I'm by no means cheap...

...but I can be had.

Jun 24 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Anything's OK that hurts no one and isn't illegal.  It's a far smaller deal than most here make it out to be.

-D

Unfortunately, it's not the 1960's summer of love, in today's society the simpliest of gestures can cost the potential violator a career and/or legal entanglements that last a lifetime.
I can give example after example where the most innocent of circumstances have turned into  crime scene tape, arrests, search warrants and one individual literally losing his career and reputation. I can be specific if anyone wants privately message me, these incidents can be devastating.

Sometimes a model may get "caught up in the moment" and be the agressor, (which was the case in one incident I am reminded of), she brought her own booze for the session, she made all the initiating moves, she was fun as hell, no problems, (until her boyfriend came looking for her). Then it turned very ugly, very fast. The scenario included a full blown police investigation and the D A was making his case for rape. What saved the photographer was, the make-up artist, the other models and I were all there and it started to fall apart when Dorothy's story didn't match with 5 other people who were there, then toward the end her boyfriend called and offered to drop the case in exchange for a large cash settlement.

Trust me, as men most of us have those urges and fantasies, it's fun, the trouble begins when one crosses that line...there's so-oo- much booty on out there to be had, why dip the company pen in the company ink? I personally refuse pursue it as a professional, i would rather have a clean reputation and not have to explain "my side" of a accustation, by not participating, I never have worry about it. It's a great feeling to have have the models trust  too, (I'd rather have a strong non-sexual bond with the models than to have another notch on my bed post.)

Jun 24 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

We're all grown ups here- I think its more about intention than resut.  If you go to a shoot looking for ass- maybe the wrong reason.  If you go to a shoot for right reasons and more developes- sure- why not.

We arent splitting the atom or curing cancer.

-Jose

Jun 24 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

tommy nikon

Seattle, Washington, US

NEVER have!  Ever.  30+ years.

Have I WANTED to- f*** yes.......!  But I look at every model as free referral material....and crossing that boundary muddies the waters.  "Safe Sex", as practiced by professionals....is strictly thru the lens.

Jun 24 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

AZELESSAR

photogs are people and so are models ...stuff happens....

Jun 24 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

First move by the photographer is always a wrong move.

Jun 24 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:
First move by the photographer is always a wrong move.

I can see the dialogue now - Hi, I am a professional photographer.  Is it OK to have sex with the models?

Maybe it would be good to start a thread on the proper way to approach a model for sex after a shoot.  But then again, the OP didn't ask if he should wait until after the shoot.

Jun 24 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

azelessar wrote:
photogs are people and so are models ...stuff happens....

Mr. Simpleton speaks

Jun 24 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Eric S. wrote:

Yeah (snigger).  But she used to be a model.

-D

Jun 24 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

WTF?

Sex between the Lens?

Phooey, I thought this was about me and me, the teen years.

Jun 24 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

AZELESSAR

i will ask why does it seem like no matter WHAT the situation is....there is always at least ONE guy that will try to turn that into a dating or scoring opportunity? LOL it could be a church service like a funeral or a BIRTH and some guy is thinking ...." hmmmm i wonder if i'll get lucky? i hope so!! "   i look at MM as a way to drum up business by making solid contacts with reliable models......yes the models are gorgeous...THAT'S why they're models- that doesn't mean you have to sample the produce....SHEESH ....now like i mentioned things happen between consenting adults.....IF this were a place where the ONLY "models" were say.....billy goats...i'm scared to ask if the subject would come up....LOL

Jun 24 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I love sex.....but it's tough to pay my mortgage with it....or my car payments....food, clothes....and my wife would probably cut my cajones off!!!

Jun 24 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

wow ,Iim  soooo learning from everyone , it's brought up that i did'nt ask about having before or after the shoot , i never thought it that way , i just ask a question that onr of my students ask me today at my studio. so i figure i get advice from the front line ! ( I value every - photog and model opinion  on here )
keep bringing me more , I'm truely taken all the info in .
staying creative under the lens
-jack

Jun 24 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I can hear the "after" conversation already. "How come you picked her/him for that job? I'm much better for it." "Honey, how come you don't use me instead?".......

Other models: "She/he only got the job because she's/he's sleeping with him/her."

Great way to get a"head". So to speak...... Not so great for working professional relations.

Jun 24 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

jackfrost wrote:
wow ,Iim  soooo learning from everyone , it's brought up that i did'nt ask about having before or after the shoot , i never thought it that way , i just ask a question that onr of my students ask me today at my studio. so i figure i get advice from the front line ! ( I value every - photog and model opinion  on here )
keep bring me more , I'm truely taken all the info in .
staying creative under the lens
-jack

Warning.. This is way more of a "peanut gallery" than it is a "front line"..

Jun 24 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Yeah (snigger).  But she used to be a model.

-D

smile

Jun 24 06 06:42 pm Link