Forums > General Industry > TFP vs. Paid excuse.

Photographer

TomLaPointe

Salisbury, Maryland, US

Thought this was a GREAT thread for different philosophies about dealing with the unedited / edited files.

As for "what did you do before digital?", I have spent three hours or more in the darkroom dodging, burning and adjusting contrast on b/w photos.

Jun 11 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Jun 11 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

BCI Photo wrote:
The magic is created through the lens, not in PS.

I disagree!  The "magic" is created in the mind of the photographer, who uses all tools and resources availble to them to achieve the desired result.

Jun 11 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

It's photography, not photoshopography.

But anyway, closer to the topic...what do you do if all the pictures on a TFP just suck.

Jun 11 06 04:48 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Trelane wrote:

I disagree!  The "magic" is created in the mind of the photographer, who uses all tools and resources availble to them to achieve the desired result.

Oh please,
You can want to capture the most mentally stunning visual image in the world, but if you don't have the proper equipment, location and/or model, your "vision" will not come out right.

Jun 11 06 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

So far I have done precious little TFP/CD so it has made no diff. But when TFP/CD is done then I'd expect the model should be treated no different as he/she has put their labor into your shoot the same as you did.

Jun 11 06 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Trelane wrote:

BCI Photo wrote:
Oh please,
You can want to capture the most mentally stunning visual image in the world, but if you don't have the proper equipment, location and/or model, your image will not come out right.

Oh please,
You can want to create the most stunning image in the world, but if you can't visualize it, even if you have the proper hardware, location and/or model, your "vision" will not come out.

In other words: There are a lot of things that are necessary but not sufficient: concept, camera, lens, location/set, subject, styling..... Arguing about postprocessing is too similar to the Nikon/Canon, liberal/conservative, or Protestant/Catholic feuds to be useful: nobody's going to convince anybody, and it just annoys everyone else.

Delivery should be based on agreement between the parties involved. If the photographer delivers a CD or prints 2 days after the shoot, but the agreement was for 1 day--it late. If the agreement was 2 months, and the CD/prints are delivered in 45 days--the photographer's early/on-time. That holds true for TFP/TFCD or paid shoots. As someone mentioned earlier: underpromise and overdeliver.)

Jun 11 06 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

BCI Photo wrote:

You can want to capture the most mentally stunning visual image in the world, but if you don't have the proper equipment, location and/or model, your "vision" will not come out right.

I'm glad we agree.  I consider all the tools at my disposal to be "proper equipment"; this includes post processing software.

Jun 11 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

INever wrote:
It's photography, not photoshopography.

But anyway, closer to the topic...what do you do if all the pictures on a TFP just suck.

You make a low rez CD send it to the model, tell her you are sorry for f*cking up and ask her to shoot again.

Jun 11 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I shoot digitally.  The model gets to original proofs over the net by the next day - often before she gets home, or in a ahour or so.  I edit her shoot the day she selcts her shots, and can deleiver the final product within 24 hours of this selection  It does not matter if itis a TFP or paid shoot these time frames are conservative so that i can maintain my promised delivery timeframe.

One Photographer stated that the images are created with the camera and photo shopping is not necessary.  This is not true - all images require some processing work, or optimization - and deepening on the desired affect and the models characteristics various techniques may be used to optimize the image however every image should be optimized in order to to be usable in a models portfolio.

Jun 11 06 10:08 am Link