Forums > General Industry > Photographers posing with their models

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I have some questions for models.  What is your take (or what are your feelings) regarding photographers who want to pose with the models in some of the shots during a shoot?  I am NOT talking about anything sleazy here. (There are some pretty well known guys here on MM who have some fun and interesting photographs of them with models! Some I have seen are REALLY good.) What if the photographer has a concept or "theme" where he could "play" a male role or act as a sort of human prop? If the concept is an interesting one and has artistic merit, would you have a problem shooting that?

Once a model and a photographer get to know each other and become friends, this is not usually much of a problem. But I am curious about the uneasiness factor in such a situation for those that do not know each other that well. If a photographer suggests it, do you look at him as if he is crazy? Or worse? If you are open to it, what is the best way to bring it up?

And what about the ugly (well.....less photogenic) photographer problem? LOL

Perhaps these are dumb questions, but I am curious.

Comments?

Jun 10 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I never have my pics taken with models.....or anyone else that for that matter.....no one wants to look at an old fat guy with grey hair.....besides, I'm not into ego stroking.....OH!..Look at me!...I'm with the HOTTEST babe and now you can be jealous.....

As long as I can produce images that both the model and I like.....I'm happy!

Jun 10 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

I do like the idea of having an editorial type shot with some of the models I work with. But who will take the picture???? The tri pod timer trick, takes too long to get it right. You could give the MUA or hair stylist one of your other cameras or something.

www.jaysonpolansky.com

Jun 10 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

Only time I ever pose with a model in shot is they want a pic for their scrapbook or something. I am very camera shy and dont like having my picture taken.

Jun 10 06 10:34 am Link

Jun 10 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Eric Kroll and Aaron Hawks do it brilliantly.  It's certainly possible.

Jun 10 06 03:50 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It depends on the images that come out of it, I guess.  If it's more than a "hey, look at me-- I can get chicks nekkid!" shot, I don't see the problem. smile

Jun 10 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Damn, that last one is genius:

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/99.jpg

I had my model shoot me with the chainsaw but she's not in it so I suppose it doesnt count.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060531/08/447d9596c7a56.jpg

Jun 10 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Abel Photography

Newburgh, New York, US

I think photogs are photogs for a reason, we only want to capture the beauty and hate being caught in front of the lens ourselves

Jun 10 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I usually collect "trophy" pictures.  One frame of me with the model near the end of the shoot, when ideas are all gone.  Mostly they just show that I, the fat old guy, was actually in the physical presence of a beautiful and extremely naked model.

So, call me a perv...

-Don

Jun 10 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Dario thanks for the kind words but you could get banned by publishing a photo that is full frontal on a forum. That's why I linked mine. I shot this photograph with Ilford Delta 3200 ISO film in 120 with the RB shown in the shot. I hate to use the word document but somehow I like taking my own picture on my birthday (I do this every year) and with the more interesting models I find.

Alex

Jun 10 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Digital Basement Studio

If I understand well it is fairly easy to fire a digital camera remotely so that you can take your photo with your model. Since I use mechanical cameras I have a very long pneumatic bulg in my camera bag that I take out for these situations. They still make them.

Alexwh

Jun 10 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

i like posing !!!!!   when i get bored i might do some silly things in PS7 and put  me in a shot...... but its just 4 fun...  I mean  i got shots of me in my hard copy  port...

Jun 10 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Redd-Renard M

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have a few ideas that would work well with a male human prop, but i figure it would be easier to have another person play that role instead of me, and I can concentrate on the photo.  Now i do know some models don't feel comfortable in the beginning of there career to add a third person to the mix, and they may feel more comfortable with the photographer rather than the person a photographer may invite.  All of the ideas I have had, would show the face of the male prop so it wouldn't be an ego situation of wanting to be in the pic, but i would suggest they invite someone they would feel comfortable with, and that person would be comfortable in the photos.  That is just my opinion. 

To each is own, and if it works, I guess it is no big deal.  It just depends on the model and the photographer.

Jun 10 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Photographers (or at least this one) sometimes forget what it's like to pose and face some big camera or asked to open eyes while facing some very hot and or bright light. Having my picture taken with the model sometimes helps me to put myself in the model's situation. I would never ask a model to do something I would not do or cannot do. Many times it's the model who requests the two shot. A shoot in a studio with a model is an intimate affair. The photo in some cases either reflects this intimacy or whatever tension may be present. Here is a picture where I wanted to record the relative complexity of a tub shoot!
Alexwh
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/04.jpg

https://www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/images/nudes/08.jpg

Jun 10 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050813/22/42febd6bbbb72.jpg

"the legend of Pei Mei and the five point palm exploding heart technique" from my KILL CHIL vol II series

D/P was kenny 'corona' alvarez of gloria estafan productions

look for the continuation of KILL CHIL vol II to be shot next week in the deserts around las vegas with Elle, Budd, Beatrix, and Oren

Jun 10 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Wow, a thread like this, and I made to the bottom of the page without seeing...

...Click Hamilton!

smile

Jun 10 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

ADG Photography wrote:
I have some questions for models.  What is your take (or what are your feelings) regarding photographers who want to pose with the models in some of the shots during a shoot?  I am NOT talking about anything sleazy here. (There are some pretty well known guys here on MM who have some fun and interesting photographs of them with models! Some I have seen are REALLY good.) What if the photographer has a concept or "theme" where he could "play" a male role or act as a sort of human prop? If the concept is an interesting one and has artistic merit, would you have a problem shooting that?

Once a model and a photographer get to know each other and become friends, this is not usually much of a problem. But I am curious about the uneasiness factor in such a situation for those that do not know each other that well. If a photographer suggests it, do you look at him as if he is crazy? Or worse? If you are open to it, what is the best way to bring it up?

And what about the ugly (well.....less photogenic) photographer problem? LOL

Perhaps these are dumb questions, but I am curious.

Comments?

Totally creepy is what I think.  I've had the occasional model or client ask for me to be in a shot along with the stylist and makeup artist as a record of who was working with her on the project, and although I personally dislike any and all photos of myself, I will agree to doing this if this is something that is important to her.

but having the photographer in the shot as part of the project?  too creepy to even think about.

Jun 10 06 06:31 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I worked with a photographer who had a wall full of shots with him and each model he had worked with. It didn't bother me in the least because he was very polite. Now if I had been shooting nude and he wanted to take his clothes off to join me THAT would have been another story!!

Jun 10 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

well I am also a Model,  in fact I was a model way before i got into photography

MM# 6741 is my modeling profile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=6741
and i still do modeling smile

Jun 10 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

max black

New York, New York, US

hey, that's me in the picture - that's me in the spotlight.

i appear in my photos when the model is o.k.with it.
even though they're tied up i always ask first!

Jun 10 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I usually collect "trophy" pictures.  One frame of me with the model near the end of the shoot, when ideas are all gone.  Mostly they just show that I, the fat old guy, was actually in the physical presence of a beautiful and extremely naked model.

So, call me a perv...

-Don

Perv.

Feel better now? smile

Jun 10 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Every once in a while, I'll take a picture with the model I just finished shooting. As I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt, it's not the most flattering shot, but it's cool to have a picture with them AT THE END. LOL

I don't get into shooting with the model, but at the end, sometimes I'll have the MUA take a couple of pics with me and the model(s).

Jun 10 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I never have my pics taken with models.....or anyone else that for that matter.....no one wants to look at an old fat guy with grey hair.....besides, I'm not into ego stroking.....OH!..Look at me!...I'm with the HOTTEST babe and now you can be jealous.....

As long as I can produce images that both the model and I like.....I'm happy!

At least you have hair! LOL
Mike

Jun 10 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

As an art photographer I may have a different take on it. I have often posed with my favorite models...as a method of self-portratiture...to document where and waht i was doing at a certain period. I only have done this with models who are important to me. Not just some "hotttie". I admit i rarely post them here for the fear a new model would think it was required of them. And also the older I have gotten the less I seem to do this.
Mike

Jun 10 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

My image does not show up on film nor DSLR's below 16MP......

Jun 10 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I wouldn't do it any other way. Without me, they wouldn't be Click Hamilton photos.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://misheli.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/55337913.200601242144w.jpg

Jun 10 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
I wouldn't do it any other way. Without me, they wouldn't be Click Hamilton photos.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://misheli.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/55337913.200601242144w.jpg

You, sir, are a master of this of which I posted.  Kudos to you.

Jun 11 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

alexwh wrote:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/25c.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/56.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/99.jpg

These photos are good, too.  I like them.

When I posted these questions, it was not even my thought that the photographer should pose with nude models, necessarily. I thought, perhaps a bit intuitively, that many models would feel that having the photographer pose with them was too creepy,even if they were clad in bikinis or some such.  (One photographer posted above that he thought it was creepy.) I have shot pics with models I have worked with repeatedly where I am in the photos, but these are snapshot types of pics, the kind of which you might have with any of your friends. It is great to see you guys doing stuff beyond that..more edgy and artsy.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Jun 11 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:
I do like the idea of having an editorial type shot with some of the models I work with. But who will take the picture???? The tri pod timer trick, takes too long to get it right. You could give the MUA or hair stylist one of your other cameras or something.

www.jaysonpolansky.com

My Canon P&S digital camera (the first digital I ever purchased) has a tiny remote control that alows for wireless firing of the camera.  If done carefully, you can often even hide it in the shot.  I have just recently discovered that Nikon has such a device for their SLRs and I am going to purchase one of these for my D70.

That should make self-portraits and such mush easier.

Jun 11 06 07:06 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

There are many photographers who have posted, but we have heard from few models.  I am mostly interested in their take.

Jun 11 06 07:08 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

I know it is not quite the same thing; however, when I do a cultural demonstration at which photographs are also being taken (i.e. I am doing the tea ceremony and one or more photographers are taking pictures of me and the audience), I usually get asked to pose for momento pictures at the end of the lecture/presentation. That usually means that the photographer(s) have pictures with me, either alone or as a group shot. On other occasions, when it is a photoshoot that is not part of a cultural demonstration, we have sometimes done 'behind the scenes' shots of me in make-up, of the lights and reflectors being set up, of the photographer and me discussing what we are going to do next, etc. To me it seems perfectly normal to have a picture taken with a friend and professional colleague.

Jun 11 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

akemi wrote:
I know it is not quite the same thing; however, when I do a cultural demonstration at which photographs are also being taken (i.e. I am doing the tea ceremony and one or more photographers are taking pictures of me and the audience), I usually get asked to pose for momento pictures at the end of the lecture/presentation. That usually means that the photographer(s) have pictures with me, either alone or as a group shot. On other occasions, when it is a photoshoot that is not part of a cultural demonstration, we have sometimes done 'behind the scenes' shots of me in make-up, of the lights and reflectors being set up, of the photographer and me discussing what we are going to do next, etc. To me it seems perfectly normal to have a picture taken with a friend and professional colleague.

Well written. Thank you so much for your comments, Akemi.

Jun 11 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

ADG Photography wrote:

You, sir, are a master of this of which I posted.  Kudos to you.

Thank you for the kind words ..

Click Hamilton  :::blush:::

Make a story and show us. It's a nice way to express yourself. In my humble experience, models love to join in with this kind of creativity.

https://k43.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/54768912.2006010605562w.jpg

Jun 11 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

MrMisadventure

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've posed with my model once or twice, but only because there was a lack of male models on hand and I don't mind having my shots done by someone else that I trust.  I mean its still my direction that Im giving the one taking over.

Jun 11 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Everyone knows I love Click.. So I'll let it drop at that..

But there's another MM'er.. Fairly new..  Kassandra (sorry don't know her MM#)..  Goth style, but...

17 years old..

Does her own styling, wardrobe, modeling, and photography..

And basically knocks the socks off of more than a few of us.. (Definitely me..)

Oh, and she also does some pretty impressive art work on the side..

I swear.. Multitalented people like that.....

Not fair, God.. Not fair..

Jun 11 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Marion Z Skydancer

Asheville, North Carolina, US

MM# 3245, I know her work from Deviant Art, extremely talented lady.

Since I do quite a lot of stock modeling myself for the various artist resources online and communities I work with, being in a photograph with a model is no big thing by any means. Even if I have to do remote triggering of the camera, it is just another part of the work. It is the costuming, make up if any and getting the right reactions from the other model that can be challenging. Not many models out there are quite prepared to be part of a "Harry Potter" wizard shoot and have an idea of just what kind of effects are going to come out of that wand.. chuckle..

in any case, spirits bless,
Marion

Jun 11 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I have seen Kassandra's work. No two ways about it, the girl ROCKS!

Jun 11 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I suffer for my art.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/beyster/lovers.jpg

Jun 11 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

BCI Photo

In my field of editorial photography, portrait photography in a city that is not big (Vancouver) I could not do this. I don't think I could do this in a big city. Perhaps this model is related to you or you know here well. When I teach photography (particularly a course called the portrait nude) I tell my students that the closest they can get to touching a model is to move some hair from the model's eyes or foreahead by using the pinky. Anything else is crossing the line of professionalism.

Alexwh

Jun 11 06 11:24 pm Link