- Shakespeare

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Excellent response Jay ;-)

Jun 09 06 06:57 am Link

Model

Brigite Amaral

To be totally honest, I think the mother is just too upset at the moment. If I were you, I will try to forgive the provokative words that she said and just give her the negatives. I know it had cost you money, but she was 21 and her mum has raised her for 21 years and I am sure she made lots of sacrifices for her. Now that she has gone forever, her mother must be devastated and just wanted everything back that relates with her daughter!!!
I think what I would do now if I am at your position is to discuss with her mum and ask her why she wanted all the negatives (don't assume other people's thoughts...) and just talk to her peacefully, maybe she has got some reasons that she hasn't told you yet.
Anyway, whatever you do, we will support you!!! I am sure you are a great person and just do what you think is right and that you won't regret in the future then everything will be fine!!! :-)

Jun 09 06 06:59 am Link

Photographer

DavidSouthBeach

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
Do you know for a fact that the model did indeed die?

That is an interesting question...do a net search of obits in the local newspaper.

Assuming this is the case, and that the you are not doing anything with the pictures (as you said), the better part of wisdom and compassion is to comply with the mother's wishes...not because you have to legally, but because you should. 

Send her the pictures and negatives with a note, telling her you'er sorry for her family's loss and how highly you thought of her, that kind of thing.  Just chalk it up as your good deed for the day.

Another commenter was right in saying thtat the mother must be distraught so I would overlook the threat of legal action.

David

Jun 09 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
Do you know for a fact that the model did indeed die?

Now this is a good question ????

I would respect the model and not the mother . You did not  and should not have any dealings with the mother . Sounds like she MAY be trying to get involved now when she could not in the past .

The mother is not entitled to the images in ANY way .

I have actually had this happen and I respected the models wishes .

Jun 09 06 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

FURTHERMORE ... your agreement was with the daughter, a consenting, emancipated adult. Your agreement was NOT with the mother or some lawyer investigating her daughters tragic untimely death or any other 3rd party.

If a 3rd party stranger called you and demanded all the work you did with the model, would you give them the time of day? Your agreement was between you and the model as an adult representing herself. .... not anyone else.

Clam up now, batton down the hatches and don't do anything that will open you up to further interrogations or unfounded accusations. Certainly don't give an opposing attorney any information, photos, etc. to masticate and use back against you as they pump up their legal nonsense.

You can give up your photos under a properly executed court order to do so. Until that point, it's nobody's business.

I'm not going to ask if you have "adult content" .. ...yikes!

Jun 09 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Dead or not, no.

Jun 09 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
You know... my reaction at the first mention of the "S" word would have been - "Sorry... I won't discuss this with you directly... have your lawyer call my lawyer"

END OF CONVERSATION
Studio36

this is how I would handle it. Perhaps, the model would not like them mom to have them. could be more to this than meets the eye.

Jun 09 06 07:22 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I dont really see the problem here. She signed a release and whether or not she regretted shooting with you, you hold the copyright and can do what you want with the photos. I cant really see why someone feels that they have the right to request photos, even in this situation, when there is a legal document stating that they are yours. On the other hand, it is probably easier and certainly more respectful to give them to her.

Jun 09 06 07:33 am Link

Model

Little Miss Lady

Los Angeles, California, US

SAD!

Jun 09 06 07:36 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
It is just money give them up and write a letter telling her mother how much you appreciated your short time with her daughter and you wish them all the best then walk away.

That is EXACTLY what I suggest you do.

Jun 09 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Eli Ceballos

Brooklyn, New York, US

Perez Imagery wrote:
And on the other hand.... maybe the daughter isnt dead, but trying to get her negs back for whatever reson she may have.

This crossed my mind too...perhaps the girl did regret taking the photos...especially if they were nudes...were they?

People make up some really crappy shit to get someone to bend in their favor.

Eli

Model

internal flame

Boston, Massachusetts, US

id ask proof if she really ..passed or you can go on  the internet to see any obituarys if you now her first or last....name and were from save all emails you recieve...how did the mother get her password..if she is passed andshes 21 did her mother watch her on pc all the time.sounds fishy i do some really finding out wat is going on contact there local police/or corener they should be able to telly you..or threw a friend..just ask them if they haveinfo because you are getting threating emails..

Model

internal flame

id ask proof if she really ..passed or you can go on  the internet to see any obituarys if you now her first or last....name and were from save all emails you recieve...how did the mother get her password..if she is passed andshes 21 did her mother watch her on pc all the time.sounds fishy i do some really finding out wat is going on contact there local police/or corener they should be able to telly you..or threw a friend..just ask them if they haveinfo because you are getting threating emails..

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

I have to agree with those that said to consult a lawyer, since the mother already has threatened to sue you. Do not give her anything without a lawyers review and approval - this may be the tip of the iceberg waiting for you.

Jun 09 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

CAP210 wrote:
I have to agree with those that said to consult a lawyer, since the mother already has threatened to sue you. Do not give her anything without a lawyers review and approval - this may be the tip of the iceberg waiting for you.

At this point there's no reason to consult a lawyer. The mother has no sound legal case. It's just coersion on her part. I'd ask for a death certificate in exchange for the images and also make them unusable.

Jun 09 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

CUnique wrote:

studio36uk wrote:
Make peace with whom? If it was a direct dealing with a regretful, remorseful, model that's one thing but the model is dead, dead, DEAD! So "mom" is speaking for her from beyond the grave? Give me a f*****g break!

Studio36

If he isn't going to use the photos anyways what good does it do him to bych about it and keep photos that will probably steam other people up and cause him alot of aggravation?

Principle!  A contract isn't something that people must abide by only when it's convenient.  It has nothing to do with whether the pictures will ever be used.

Jun 09 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

I think you're screwed regardless of what you do.  With the mother threatening to sue you.............. it's a given that she'll never believe that you've turned over "all" material on her daughter.  I'd do nothing at this time and wait for her to calm down........... or see if you hear from her attorney.  Patience would seem to be the key here.

Jun 09 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Vito wrote:

At this point there's no reason to consult a lawyer. The mother has no sound legal case. It's just coersion on her part. I'd ask for a death certificate in exchange for the images and also make them unusable.

Since when does anyone need sound legal grounds for filing lawsuits? When you get served, you are served. You are engaged and you can't not respond.

Lawsuits have absolutely nearly nothing to do with whats fair or right. That's why that industry sucks so much. Lawyers win, everyone else loses.

Jun 09 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Talele

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm not sure what to tell you since a lot of details are obviously missing from this story, but I have to tell you...if my daughter died suddenly, I seriously doubt I'd be calling her photographer two weeks after her death.  I think that would be the furthest thing from my mind.  So it makes me wonder why her daughter's photos would be such an issue for her?

I'm not sure I'd surrender negatives regardless of the situation.  As long as the model was of age and all the paperwork's in order.  Maybe wait to find out more about her death and the mom's reasons for wanting all the photos?  Saying her daughter regreted the photoshoot is a bit vague.

Jun 09 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Well believe one can not know human behaviour until something drastic like this happens.  Know the mother must be going through a rough time and would not really pay any attention to how she was harsh on you,  she probably heard something else in the conversation that she was expecting to hear.   I would not hesitate to put a DVD show for her together for something like this of all the keeper images.  Would put a disc together of all images, and ask what image she wanted printed and would make a suggestion on what would work.  Print it , mat & frame it and if she asks hang it!   

As far as the legal part, I would not want to be the photographer on the front page of a newspaper refusing to give up images of a loved ones child that passed away.  Believe it would kill any business you had, know I would not use you if I read something like that regardless of circumstances.

"Now go do the right thing"  in the end you will feel better for it.   Joe

Jun 09 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

You just buried your daughter and a week and half later, the only thing on your mind is getting some photos? Please. As I said before, I wouldn't do anything without an official (raised state stamp) death certificate. Ask for that and see what the mother's response is? "Oh, they don't give them when you die in your sleep" or something like that. smile

Jun 09 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Vito wrote:
At this point there's no reason to consult a lawyer.

I agree with that.  He probably won't need a lawyer until the mother's lawyer contacts him.

Vito wrote:
The mother has no sound legal case. It's just coersion on her part.

I'm not so sure that conclusion is possible with the info at hand.  A good lawyer might be able look at the release, investigate all the events going on at the time of the shoot, and make a case that the model was under some kind of emotional duress at the time of the shoot.  Being talked into getting naked in front of a camera (assuming the pix were nude) automatically makes the girl a victim in the minds of some people.  And even if the suit would be unwinnable, there's still a huge financial cost in attorney's fees.

Vito wrote:
I'd ask for a death certificate in exchange for the images and also make them unusable.

Ah-ha!  I like that idea.  big_smile

Jun 09 06 08:00 am Link

Model

internal flame

here is a link all ...deaths are public i talk to a friend i now on the force..this will tell you...put in her name /location...age.http://www.ancestry.com/search/?o_xid=21942&o_lid=21942.

Jun 09 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
At this point there's no reason to consult a lawyer.

I agree with that.  He probably won't need a lawyer until the mother's lawyer contacts him.

Vito wrote:
The mother has no sound legal case. It's just coersion on her part.

I'm not so sure that conclusion is possible with the info at hand.  A good lawyer might be able look at the release, investigate all the events going on at the time of the shoot, and make a case that the model was under some kind of emotional duress at the time of the shoot.  Being talked into getting naked in front of a camera (assuming the pix were nude) automatically makes the girl a victim in the minds of some people.  And even if the suit would be unwinnable, there's still a huge financial cost in attorney's fees.

Vito wrote:
I'd ask for a death certificate in exchange for the images and also make them unusable.

Ah-ha!  I like that idea.  big_smile

You need one to close a bank account or to collect insurance or to turn over a jointly owned peice of property, so why not in this case. I'll bet there'll be some kind of excuse why she can't give him one.

Jun 09 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

The Don Mon wrote:
Got a phone call yesterday from a mother of a model I helped get started.
She informed me that she had passed away 2 weeks ago.She had died while asleep
with no warning and she pretty much just never woke up.

she was 21...wasnt informed on what her death was from.
Ill be finding out in a day or so.

Her mother requested any and all negatives and disks.
Im going to do it because im not really doing anything with the shots.
However I did sell some of them,shortly after i shot with her.

Reason why is she says that she regreated doing photos((news to me))
She signed a release and we never had any issues i also told her what i was going to do with them right off the bat.She was fine with it ((the model)).

so out of nowhere the mother threatens me that if i dont ((after i already said i was going to.)) that she is going to sue me if i dont.im like wtf where the hell did that come from?

((now im debating why should i even bother )) let her try to sue me then i counter sue for lost wages and distress...

so im asking you all what would you do ?

((i already have my own answer i just want to see what you all say...
keep in mind that my beliefs is... i always educated and looked all for
all the girls ever shot with as much as i can from fraud and what not.))

Yeah, not to sound insensative, but I would ask for some sort of death certificate.  I have dealt with parents of passed away models...not often but it has happened (car accidents, suicide...etc).  I have had mothers ask for the images (never nudes) because they just wanted to have everything involving them as a sense of still having them close.  I have had them beg and plead, but never get angry or threaten lawsuit.

This is why I would want to make sure they are for real and not just trying to get the negs so the new fiance never finds out what they had done in the past.

Jun 09 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Julian Watt

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I've only had a cursory reading of the replies but I was dismayed to see all the photographers suggesting you hang on to the pix of this poor woman's dead daughter (assuming she is dead).
If this is a dog eat dog world I'm getting off!
Give her the shots - you will have made somebody happy and I suspect not have lost anything except the potential to sell them to some trashy tabloid for a $1000 or so and in the process stain your reputation for ever.

50 cents

Jun 09 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

JRainey Photography

Hebron, Texas, US

Tell the Mother that you would be happy to give her some pictures to help remember her by..But there is a signed release and she understood that the pictures could and would be use, then tell mom your are truely sorry for her lose and explain to her as nicely as you can that you will not give them up, but that she can buy them if she becomes a B**ch.

Jun 09 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Wow, alot of you people are mean. If you're not doing anything with them, it doesn't make since to me to keep them just because you can.

If you bought a coat from someone, legally, and it sat in your closet. Then they died and their relative asked to have it. Why keep it? If you don't need it, give to someone who wants it....

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Julian Watt wrote:
I've only had a cursory reading of the replies but I was dismayed to see all the photographers suggesting you hang on to the pix of this poor woman's dead daughter (assuming she is dead).
If this is a dog eat dog world I'm getting off!
Give her the shots - you will have made somebody happy and I suspect not have lost anything except the potential to sell them to some trashy tabloid for a $1000 or so and in the process stain your reputation for ever.

50 cents

Yeah, but let's assume the model/daughter is dead. What if she took nudes that she didn't tell her mom about and all the mom thinks there are are bikini shots. Turning over the photos could possibly devistate the mother and breech a trust that is implicict in a model/photographer relationship. If the mother is already "sue-happy", she may try to sue for the photographer "forcing" her poor innocent little girl into posing nude. And what about the images already sold?

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Dave Krueger wrote:
Principle!  A contract isn't something that people must abide by only when it's convenient.  It has nothing to do with whether the pictures will ever be used.

People die but contracts and releases don't, except in the rarest circumstances where something in the contract is left undone and where the requirement, because of the death, could never be done. Buy a car, pay for it and die... the car dealer can't come around and repossess it. Buy a car, finance it and die... yes they can get back either the car or demand the money for it from the estate. If there is no money they get the car. The contract itself didn't die with the person. Before you ask... if the person died in a car wreck and both were write-offs but the estate had no money - then it is a wash... but the car dealer probably would have insurance to cover that kind of end of the line loss, either directly there own or thorough a claim on the deceased person's automobile insurance.

Look at this situation the other way around. If the photographer dies does everyone who ever signed a release for their images get to rescind those releases and demand that all their images be turned over to them? No they don't. Can they prevent the photographer's executors from doing anything with the the images within the terms and limits of the contract and release they signed at the time? No, they can't.

On death, however, the terms of a contract or a release can no longer be amended - they are frozen in time - but each party [a deceased model - or - a deceased photographer] retains in their estate that [those rights and / or obligations] which existed prior to death.

Anything else is legal nonsense.

Studio36

Jun 09 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Kelly Talele wrote:
So it makes me wonder why her daughter's photos would be such an issue for her?

Because maybe the daughter never shared them with "mom" before she died. Then "mom" found out that she was modelling in some way "mom" would not have approved of.

Too bad, say I.

Studio36

Jun 09 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Julian Watt wrote:

A thouand bucks?  Screw the mother.  He should go for the grand.  That will make someone happy, too.  Him. 

The mother lost my sympathy the moment she threatened him.

Jun 09 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Vito wrote:
Yeah, but let's assume the model/daughter is dead. What if she took nudes that she didn't tell her mom about and all the mom thinks there are are bikini shots. Turning over the photos could possibly devistate the mother and breech a trust that is implicict in a model/photographer relationship. If the mother is already "sue-happy", she may try to sue for the photographer "forcing" her poor innocent little girl into posing nude. And what about the images already sold?

What breech of trust? He had already sold some photos. Did I miss something in the "model/photographer relationship" clause that said never to show parents pictures of their children???

Jun 09 06 08:22 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

I say you stick to your guns and keep the photos...obviously you have nothing else better to do then concern yourself with this woman you don't even know about photos you don't even use to prove a point lost amongst all of this rambling on and on and so forth.

Like the T-Shirt Says:

Just Do It

:-P

Jun 09 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Julian Watt

Geez I'm joining the iris fan club
who gives a leaping rats knacker whether they were nude shots or not.
Assuming we accept we have a genuinely grieving mom here - who just wants the pics of her baby back (that might be sold to some tabloid by some sleazy opprtunistic tog).
Give the shots back - wake up tomorrow feeling good about yourself.

Jules

Jun 09 06 08:23 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

My dog voted no...
He said screw the mom...if she wants the photos back she will have to pose nude too and bring a bunch of beer and chips for my friends.

Thats why my dog is my friend...he makes me laugh.

Jun 09 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

CUnique wrote:
My dog voted no...
He said screw the mom...if she wants the photos back she will have to pose nude too and bring a bunch of beer and chips for my friends.

Thats why my dog is my friend...he makes me laugh.

Alot of you are the spiteful people who spit on the homeless people, and splash water on people walking when you drive by, aren't you...

Jun 09 06 08:28 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Iris Swope wrote:

Alot of you are the spiteful people who spit on the homeless people, and splash water on people walking when you drive by, aren't you...

I resent this...
I don't drive...but I heard an airplane landed on a homeless photographer...is that good or bad?

Jun 09 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Julian Watt

Dave from Alabama

You take some nice pics
Add some ethics and you could be the juice

Jules

Jun 09 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

CUnique wrote:
I resent this...
I don't drive...but I heard an airplane landed on a homeless photographer...is that good or bad?

Was your license suspended for bad driving? Or do you just not drive? and where does this homeless photographer develop his film, or copy his flash cards? or, is he homeless because he spent to much on camera equipment?

Jun 09 06 08:32 am Link