Forums > General Industry > meeting up before shooting..

Model

CarlottaChampagne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Do many of you people meet up with models/photographers before shoots to meet them and discuss the shoot?
I have been doing this for close to two years and I have never done that before. There have been only a few people who have asked for it, and ironically they have all been tfp offers and not paid jobs. Someone who I have spoken to recently wanted to meet at my home before shooting so that we could "discuss shooting"...the idea really weirded me out...I'm not at all comfortable letting people know where I live for obvious safety reasons. Am I being irrational?
This topic isn't meant to disrespect anyone who does meet before shooting, but I want to know what is necessary about it...especially if the person has a ton of references...
thanks!

Jun 09 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Mandy Y

Los Angeles, California, US

I meet with most the photographers I shoot with to discuss the shoot and to get a feel of what the person is like, just to make sure that person is someone you are comfortable working with

but i suggest meeting at a public place maybe starbucks? smile

Jun 09 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

UnsinnImage

Los Angeles, California, US

I meet every model before I shoot with them.  Since I build each shoot around the individual model, it's cruicial because it's where my creative process begins.

Seeing someone with my own eyes...getting an idea of their personality and physicality...learning what they need from a shoot and their personal limits during a shoot...it's all very important.  Not to mention it gives the model a chance to get comfortable with me (and vice versa).

Plus, it cuts down on the flake factor.  Models who can't make a simple meeting are a bad bet when it comes to spending time, money, effort and -- most importantly -- creativity.

Jun 09 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Josh Separzadeh

Venice, California, US

I personally dont see the point in meeting before the shirt, if the schedules match why not discuss it then shoot it the same day?

Jun 09 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

Sometimes I meet up with them and sometimes not, it all depends on if we have time or if we are too far apart. But it's ALWAYS in a public place like starbucks, or maybe a sushi bar. That's just weird to meet up at your place or their place...

Jun 09 06 02:02 am Link

Model

CarlottaChampagne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Josh Separzadeh wrote:
I personally dont see the point in meeting before the shirt, if the schedules match why not discuss it then shoot it the same day?

Thats how I feel also. I guess my thing is that I get a lot of paying work, so I feel like meeting up is wasting time when I could be getting a paid job. I'm pretty big on reference checking though.

Jun 09 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

If the model is new to me I always try, if geography allows, to meet face to face before making a final decision to shoot. I find this essential now as many models have over enhanced images in their portfolios and I like to see the exactly what she looks like. Also as has been said above it helps to weed out the flakes.

Jun 09 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Meeting is not a bad idea. Meeting at model's or photographer's home is 'weird'. Some photographers use their home as their offices and studios, in that case meeting at the home office might be understandable.
Personally, my home is my privacy. I think the same for the model and there is no need to get into private affairs (!).

But meeting... Meetings may bring better preps for the shoots. You can go through with ideas, clothing, makeup. Photographer could have time to think what he/she will create with you. And, you can have an idea about the photographer before the shoot because surprises might be shitty sometimes. Going directly to shoot might be a risk (for facing an unprepared photographer and not getting good images) and waste of time.

Yes. Starbucks is awesome place to meet. I am a Starbucks addict smile

Max V.

Jun 09 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Wally Peterson

Seattle, Washington, US

I have better results if I meet in advance for all the reasons mentioned here.  It's good for the creativity, to workout logistics, filter out possible no-shows, make sure our goals agree (no need to waste the time effort of a full shoot).  Maybe that's why it occurs more for TFP, both parties need to agree on the details.  In a paid shoot, the paying party calls the shots, but I still like to meet when I can.

In any case the truly wierd part is the 'meet at your house'.  That's a big red flag for me.  Starbucks is the universally acceptable initial meeting point.  It's public, a great place to talk, and doesn't require the commitment of a meal wink

-W

Jun 09 06 02:11 am Link

Model

CarlottaChampagne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Since mostly photographers are replying, I am getting the feeling a lot of this is over no shows. You guys should really start asking for references if you have this problem occur frequently.
I feel like meeting up could help beginners, but for people who travel for shoots and have pretty good tear sheets and generally know what they're doing, it doesn't benefit people.
A lot of the concern for me meeting up with people before hand, is that I have to get to know them. I prefer not to have to be that involved. Once I know people's interests, political stance and NRA membership affiliations I have a tendency to act a little less sexy in front of the camera, lol.

Jun 09 06 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I try to meet with every model before doing a shoot with them. Usually it's at a public place like a Starbucks.  If someone is going to flake, then it helps to find out early.  Also references can be faked, so I prefer to meet face to face first before making a commitment to work.  This helps me to be able to get my caffeine fix for my coffee addiction!  big_smile

Since I not only shoot TFP sometimes, but I do pay models, and models do pay me sometimes also ... so it's best that negotiations over such things as pay, make up, clothes, etc are conducted at the time we meet.  Nothing strange about that to me.  But if you insist that we do a shoot without meeting before, I can do that too.  No problem!  I roll with it!  wink

Jun 09 06 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

trajedi wrote:
Since mostly photographers are replying, I am getting the feeling a lot of this is over no shows. You guys should really start asking for references if you have this problem occur frequently.
I feel like meeting up could help beginners, but for people who travel for shoots and have pretty good tear sheets and generally know what they're doing, it doesn't benefit people.
A lot of the concern for me meeting up with people before hand, is that I have to get to know them. I prefer not to have to be that involved. Once I know people's interests, political stance and NRA membership affiliations I have a tendency to act a little less sexy in front of the camera, lol.

Well... I have never had "no show" in 15 yrs. Instead of assuming, reading may help better.  I don't do TFP usually but I don't care about meeting if I do TFP. For me, meeting is more important if I am doing a paid work. To understand my client better and give perfect images. Then, happy client brings more clients.

Specially if you are getting paid for your modeling, and if photographer is asking you to meet; you need to figure out 'meeting options/locations' for possible paid work.

What you feel is wrong. Facts are different than feelings.

Max V.

Jun 09 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

trajedi wrote:

I understand where you are coming from.  The fact is that I've not had any "no shows" in the 20 years of shooting.  Couples who hire me to shoot their wedding always show up!  (It helps that I have their money already!) They also typically meet with me months before their wedding.

Bands and models I shoot with on a regular basis don't flake on me either.  Reason is we develop a working relationship where they depend on me to be their "photographer" for all their shows or their websites.  I have no problem with developing business relationships with all these people. This is what I do full time!  Also I have found that creativity is spontaneous for me.

Certainly in traveling we may not have the ability to meet face to face before working, however I've developed strong business relationships over the phone and through e-mails with models, photographers, musicians, and webmasters where I can say that I know them well enough that we can trust each other.  I find the greatest photographers do get to know their subjects at least a little bit before shooting.  Even working for portrait studios, I'd always take 10 to 15 minutes of chatting while setting up ... getting an idea or two from the conversation! 

The most horrible, cruel, and intimidating thing any "people" photographer can do is to not speak or communicate with the model.   It's you who I'm interested in, and what you bring to the studio.  You tell me about your "interests, political stance and NRA membership affiliations!"  It's way sexier to hear about you than you having to listen to the photographer babble on about the NRA.  That might be the problem right there?  Who gives a flying f**k about me!  wink

Jun 09 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

trajedi wrote:

References arent very meaningful- she wont give me the names of the photographers she flaked on.  This site has no ebay style feedback system.  Its a crapshoot.  If she cant show up to an interview- she probably wont show up for the shoot.

Everything is w/in reason.  If you dont live close to each other- meeting may not be practical.  Phones or electronic means can help.  Beginner or advanced has little to do with it.  If we are both representing ourselves- we arent that bigtime.  We should meet.

In the meeting you will have to get to know me and I will have to get to know you just enough that we can understand each other- you dont need my life story, nor I yours.

Other purposes of the meeting- to see you- did you lie or exaggerate a measurement, did you just change your hair drastically, etc.  But the biggest factor is truly that you can actually follow through and do something you say you will do- like meet for coffee.

Jun 09 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

trajedi wrote:

What she said. I only want to know just enough...

Jun 09 06 03:50 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I always meet before I do any type of work...modeling or otherwise......it's always in a place of the clients choosing.....and they are welcome to bring anyone they feel neccessary to the job.....

Not meeting and discussing the shoot is poor business practice.....besides I have contracts that need to be signed if it's a paid shoot....and money to be paid on deposit first and foremost....

Jun 09 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Ben Levis Photography

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

i always do the meeting thing, generally it is somewhere neutral and public like your local lunch bar or coffee shop.

i feel its better doing it that way rather than going in cold. you wouldnt shoot a wedding without some prior research would you??

Jun 09 06 06:00 am Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

If they live close enough, I try to meet in person before any shoot - but either way, there is fairly extensive messaging going on first, so both of us can get a feel for the other's personality, and importantly, expectations.

I do sometimes worry I won't live up to what a photographer expects, and I would much rather work out any *blemishes* first, than face disappointment on the day of the shoot. Oddly enough, those with whom I've met have taken longer to find time for the actual shoot, than those with whom I've shot "cold" - and they seemed pleased in the end. Bearing in mind, of course, these numbers aren't high enough to constitute a trend because there aren't many photographers in my immediate area to begin with.

For a variation, though - I have invited photographers to my home, and I've gone to theirs, especially if they have a home studio. I actually hate public places because I find the superfluous people and hubbub distracting from conversation (medical reasons... neutral) Odd at first, but before I let someone know where I live, or agree to be picked up and travel to their place, come all those e-mails.

Thus far, being very specific in my bio as to what type of work I seek, also seems to have helped weed out any disconcerting offers smile

~S.

Jun 09 06 07:20 am Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

trajedi wrote:

An interesting point. I like to get to know those with whom I work, but only after the shoot... especially, after one that's gone really well. To begin with, I much prefer to focus on the work, not pleasantries and chit-chat.

To avoid this, I just make sure to keep the conversation on the track of the shoot. Once all the details are discussed, it usually tends to draw to a natural, happy close smile

~S.

Misanthropists unite...

Jun 09 06 07:29 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Because Im not in a model hot spot, I usually have to travel at least an hour for a shoot so Ive never met anyone beforehand. I talk on the phone to discuss details if neccessary but I also think email is fine. I have only shot with 3 photographers that were in my area and none of them requested to meet me. I guess it depends on the types of experiences the photographer has had? Like if they have had a lot of no shows they might want to meet the model to make sure that he or she is really serious. I have a good reputation for always showing up, rarely cancelling, and being early so maybe no one feels the need to meet me? I guess if someone wanted to meet me beforehand and they were pretty closeby I wouldnt object though.

Jun 09 06 07:30 am Link

Model

Evelyn Rouge

Im new to this, so im meeting with the photographer first, just to check 1.he knows more about cameras than me 2.If I dont trust him at a pub, immdefentaly not going to trust him in a room.

Jun 09 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I always have a go-see/interview with models before I even decide to shoot them...I think it's vital.

Jun 09 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

The only times I can think of is once I met two models at another photographers shoot, He had asked me to assist with rigging (aka rope work) and I managed to get several shoots out of it. The only other time was at Fetish Con where I met a local model and we shot a couple months later.

Its yet to happen, but if a model wanted to meet up first I wouldnt have a problem with it. Why not? Its a good excuse for a lunch or dinner on the town.

Jun 09 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i have no rule about meeting first...but as it turns out, i have probably met most every model i've worked with prior to shooting them..

i believe i met you long before we ever worked together...

Jun 09 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

As more and more of my work is done in travel-mode, I find that meeting beforehand is simply impossible.  If a local model wanted to meet me before a shoot, I'd certainly have no problem with it -- Why pass up a chance to get out to the cafe for a latte? 

I can't recall the last time a model made such a request.  As usual with me, the nature of my work pretty much weeds out people who are unsure before a word is ever exchanged between myself and the model.

Jun 09 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I usually meet models before shooting to discuss shooting and generally just to talk, get to know them a bit and it helps with the level of comfort, too, when we shoot I've noticed.  Plus you know what the goal of the shoot is ahead of time.  If they are out of state, I typically don't obviously.   Sometimes even chatting on instant messengers is nice and aids in the level of comfort and getting ideas and thoughts across.   Communication is a biggie. smile    Basically I like to meet beforehand if possible, but if not, not the hugest of deals.

edit:  and it is usually at a public place.. sometimes we just grab lunch and chat or something like that unless the model has another idea.  All about making them feel more comfortable.

Jun 09 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

trajedi wrote:
Do many of you people meet up with models/photographers before shoots to meet them and discuss the shoot?
I have been doing this for close to two years and I have never done that before. There have been only a few people who have asked for it, and ironically they have all been tfp offers and not paid jobs. Someone who I have spoken to recently wanted to meet at my home before shooting so that we could "discuss shooting"...the idea really weirded me out...I'm not at all comfortable letting people know where I live for obvious safety reasons. Am I being irrational?
This topic isn't meant to disrespect anyone who does meet before shooting, but I want to know what is necessary about it...especially if the person has a ton of references...
thanks!

In a way, I understand why some models would want to do this -- but mostly, I don't get it. Meeting with somebody for a few minutes, an hour -- what does that tell you? How many times have you watched somebody doing the perp walk on TV in their nice suit -- they're accused of some horrific crime, and you're wondering, "did they do it, or not?" We all like to trust our instincts -- but the fact is, our instincts don't always tell the truth.

From a photographer's point of view, I can't really tell anything about a model sitting across from her at Starbucks. I've had models walk into my studio and I say to myself -- sheesh -- this is going to be a total waste of time -- and then they turn out to be amazing on camera. Equally, I've had drop-dead gorgeous models come across horribly on camera.

So I just don't get the point. What do you really gain from a meeting? What -- you were going to bring a chaperone, but the meeting went so well that you decided to not bring one?

I, more or less reluctantly, will meet with a model I really want to shoot if she insists, but I'm just as likely to simply move on to the next model. It would never occur to me to ask for a meeting myself, unless a client was involved who wanted to make a final selection for a commercial job.

Jun 09 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

I agree with Bang Bang.  I dont meet with the models, unless they ask.  AND its always in public.  Just as you models dont want people to know where you live, neither do I.  Discussing the shoot or creative Ideas can be done on the phone, I have already seen your photos and have somewhat of an idea on what I'm trying(the operative word here) to achieve. 
-Rob

Jun 09 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Apastron Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Personally, I like to request a short meeting before a first shooting session. I call them “Icebreakersâ€? . Just think it’s a good idea to have a First chat, share portfolio’s, questions and answers ect. If the model declines, that’s ok too, no harm, no foul…

Insist on having meetings being in a pubic location. Usally suggesting public libraries, coffee houses, or like. Anywhere there's going to be a number of other people, a table to place photos and able to sit face to face. I suggest the model picks the place and we agree on a Date and Time to meet.

Jun 09 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

When possible with local models who're new/beginners my partner & I try to meet them somehwere public to sit down, discuss EXACTLY what we want to do on the shoot, go thru the releases in person, and show them some of my work that I don't post on the web (some of my larger B&W prints for instance).  Regardless of distance, I exchange detailed e-mails so there's a record, and with distant models I insist on a phone number & at least one phone call.  I've found this cuts down on no-shows, and it also gives me a better sense of rapport with the model.  It's strictly professional with no discussion of personal matters or politics or anything like that, just a "Here's what we discussed that I'm looking for, are you 100% with it, and is 'x' 100% what you're looking for?"
That seems to increase comfort level on the actual shoot.
Also, working with primarily new & net models, references haven't always worked out so well if they can even offer them.
Unfortunately, people who behave innapropriately at meetings (veering in to non-relevant topics, asking to meet at people's homes, etc) make it look bad for the rest of us.  But if I'm working with a net model I insist on it whenever possible to save myself time & expense later.
Please note for all of this I said "net model" as I don't bother when working with an agency, and I am less likely to make an issue of it if I'm hiring a model vs doing a TFP, as $ tends to make people more reliable (tho I've still had flakes there) and I wouldn't hire someone for pay who didn't have plenty of experience with a port to back it up AND a number of reliable references.

Jun 09 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

I like to meet before the shoot. The models tend to be alot more relaxed and we can come up with a gameplan which speeds up the shoot.

Jun 09 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

K Leo

Chicago, Illinois, US

email or phone here

Jun 09 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Photografika

Utica, Michigan, US

trajedi wrote:
Someone who I have spoken to recently wanted to meet at my home before shooting so that we could "discuss shooting"...the idea really weirded me out...I'm not at all comfortable letting people know where I live for obvious safety reasons. Am I being irrational?

Meeting before a shoot isn't all that strange, but a photographer asking a model where she lives is. Either he should invite you to his studio (if he has one) or meet in a public place. I think you were right to be weirded out in this case.

Jun 09 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I agreed to meet a model in a restaurant once.
She chose the place and the time.
She didn't show up, so I haven't tried that again.

Jun 09 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Josh Separzadeh wrote:

I didn't see a reason to meet before the shoot until two shoots ago.

A photographer here asked me if I would be his assistant on an out of town shoot.  He said I could bring a model.  It would be a swimsuit shot.

I invited a model that I had never met before.  We met at 6 a.m., and she was about 25 lbs. heavier than what her profile said.  She also had different hair color.  As it turned out, she was also an absolute bitch (we shot on Monday and by Wednesday she was demanding her images — yet REFUSED to sign a release).

If I had met with her, I would have seen that she was nothing more than the prettiest girl in her trailer park.

**EDIT**  The woman in my avatar and similar images in my portfolio are not the woman I mentioned.  I am not showing those images as I don't want to promote her.

Jun 09 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Digital Emulsion

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:
but i suggest meeting at a public place maybe starbucks? smile

No way, I always meet them at their apartment, where they are in a comfortable, familiar environment. It builds trust, and sometimes I even meet them in the bedroom.

Jun 09 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

Years ago when I first started I thought the models would want to meet before any shoot.If they ask to I will without question.However only one model within recent memery asked to meet before hand.Even then she said she just wanted to see what her first impressions were.she shook hands and said I will be there mon morning.All I got out was Hi................see you then.... maby a one minit meeting.
In my experince the models dont want to meet first.

Jun 09 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

UnsinnImage wrote:
I meet every model before I shoot with them.  Since I build each shoot around the individual model, it's cruicial because it's where my creative process begins.

Seeing someone with my own eyes...getting an idea of their personality and physicality...learning what they need from a shoot and their personal limits during a shoot...it's all very important.  Not to mention it gives the model a chance to get comfortable with me (and vice versa).

Plus, it cuts down on the flake factor.  Models who can't make a simple meeting are a bad bet when it comes to spending time, money, effort and -- most importantly -- creativity.

My 2 cents exactly.

But never in your home....keep the personal out of the professional-always.

Jun 09 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I normally do not meet with anyone before the shoot unless the client is paying for it (time is money). I have not had a problem so far.........whatever works best for your business

Jun 09 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've only done it once... even then it didn't really seem like it was "worthwhile". Then again, my schedule doesn't really match a lot of people's and I've shot with more people from out of town. I prefer the check references/email/messenger route...

Jun 09 06 12:29 pm Link