Forums > General Industry > meeting up before shooting..

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Mandy Yeung wrote:
I meet with most the photographers I shoot with to discuss the shoot and to get a feel of what the person is like, just to make sure that person is someone you are comfortable working with

but i suggest meeting at a public place maybe starbucks? smile

Same here . I meet with all models before considering any shoots. I  also meet in a public place

Jun 09 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I would like to meet up before any shoot.  But for the most part this is not workable.  Out of state models. who come to town or I go out on location and they fly into the location.  Just no way to meet ahead of time I am afraid.  bs

Jun 09 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

bobby sargent wrote:
I would like to meet up before any shoot.  But for the most part this is not workable.  Out of state models. who come to town or I go out on location and they fly into the location.  Just no way to meet ahead of time I am afraid.  bs

I think a meet before a shoot is useful.  I went to a photoshoot and before the photoshoot met one of the models in the elevator.  She had already contacted me before the shoot but I wasn't sure about her.  We went to lunch and had a private shoot later that afternoon because I liked her.  You know her. Her initials are CE.

Jun 09 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

I don't bother unless I have to.
This is all I do, and still don't have time
to be driving around to meet someone.
I've had one no-show in 2 years,
so this is not an issue for me.

Robert

Jun 09 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

I almost always try to have a meeting before hand - it makes everything easier on shoot day if everything is worked out in advance. Sometimes I even sketch out ideas.

I have occasionally had models no call/no show to the preshoot meeting and never heard from them again. I'm usually at least consoled by the fact that it was not a no show to a shoot where I'd already invested a lot of time and money.

All my initial meetings have been in public places, bar/restaraunt/coffee shop, etc. But, I have often wondered if some of the no shows to these have been models "weirded out" because they thought they were being asked out on a date?

I don't really see a solution to this - I just know more models than not have appreciated a meet up, in advance, in a public place, to discuss business and I believe it has usually improved the quality of the shoot.

Jun 09 06 03:29 pm Link

Model

CarlottaChampagne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Tragedy wrote:
I almost always try to have a meeting before hand - it makes everything easier on shoot day if everything is worked out in advance. Sometimes I even sketch out ideas.

I have occasionally had models no call/no show to the preshoot meeting and never heard from them again. I'm usually at least consoled by the fact that it was not a no show to a shoot where I'd already invested a lot of time and money.

All my initial meetings have been in public places, bar/restaraunt/coffee shop, etc. But, I have often wondered if some of the no shows to these have been models "weirded out" because they thought they were being asked out on a date?

I don't really see a solution to this - I just know more models than not have appreciated a meet up, in advance, in a public place, to discuss business and I believe it has usually improved the quality of the shoot.

Actually you are right. My first instinct is to assume whoever is doing this is trying to trick me into going out on a date. I know a few other models who feel the same way. I think when you primarily do nude work and glamour you have to be a little more weary of the people who want to work with you. Way too many weirdos out there.

Jun 09 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I typically have talked to all the models fairy extensively on-line first which helps. I have offered to meet up at a starbucks or something before hand, to help build trust. The offer has always been declined.

Jun 09 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Scoop Productions

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Very rarely do I meet /w a model before the shoot.  E-mail and phone get the job done just fine.  If I meet it would never be 1 on 1 and never at my home or theirs.  There's just too many wierdos out there. Your not going into business /w these people, so you really don't have to get that personal. Just so your comfortable /w them. It's just a photoshoot. If a photog or model makes you feel uncomfortable than just move on, there's plenty other good ones out there.

Jun 09 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Generally not.

Jun 09 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Generally not.

Jun 09 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Dula

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

I always try to meet with models before I shoot for the first time, but never at a place of my choosing...always where the prospective model feels comfortable.

I do this for several reasons:

First, most of the models I shoot are young women.  I want to have some kind of rapport before we start shooting...just so some of the jitters and getting to know you stuff is out of the way and so that she knows I'm not some lech or worse.

Second, I do like to discuss ideas and the needs of the model.  I want to know if they prefer to shoot in the studio or on a location.  For example, I just met with a guy yesterday who came into the conversation thinking he wanted to shoot outside in a natural setting.  We talked for an hour and came out with a completely different approach.  This one hour saved us time and headaches in the future, especially since he is paying a stylist to be there.

Third, I am not a full-time pro.  I want to make sure that every shoot I do uses my precious time wisely.  At present, I am doing only TFP and TFCD work, until I feel 100% comfortable getting paid.  I've even turned down pay over the past couple of months just to be consistent in my approach (I know that sounds crazy to some of you).  So I want to make sure I'm not wasting my own or my model's time.

I can understand how a model might be nervous if a photographer asks for a meeting, especially in a home.  At the same time, I think the model should consider the upside to meeting beforehand.  Whoever is asked to meet should specify the meeting location and bring someone along if nervous.  In fact, if you are nervous about someone's motives, it's probably best not to meet...you have instincts for a reason!

Anyway, just wanted add my two cents.  The bottom line for me:  I've had a pre-shoot meeting with every model I've photographed and it has always paid off for us both.  But, again, this is only for TFP/TFCD.

-Matt

Jun 09 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Visions Photography

Corona, California, US

"Let's meet at your place (or my place) to discuss the shoot" sets off the creep alarms.

One of my closest friends, a model, met with a guy before a shoot, in a Starbucks, but he made a point to show off his expensive car & brag about how rich he was. Supposedly it was to be a very good paying shoot, so when he said he wanted to meet with her a second time at his house, she agreed... and when she went it became perfectly clear that he was trying to date her. She made it clear she wasn't interested in him that way. The shoot never happened, even after having met twice.

Jun 09 06 04:03 pm Link