Forums > General Industry > Howard Schatz. Most under rated photographer?

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I love his stuff.

Nude Body Nude.  Passion & Line.  Athlete.

Amazing, amazing work.

And then, just today, I saw this

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2006/in_character/

Jun 08 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Howard Schatz indeed rocks -- he's one of my favorites as well. But I don't get the impression he's under-rated, much less the most under-rated photographer. He's a very successful commercial photographer with many excellent books of his personal work. I think he's rather highly regarded, actually.

-P-

Jun 08 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

He's a technical powerhouse, but I find his work on the sterile side.

Jun 08 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Pat Thielen wrote:
Howard Schatz indeed rocks -- he's one of my favorites as well. But I don't get the impression he's under-rated, much less the most under-rated photographer. He's a very successful commercial photographer with many excellent books of his personal work. I think he's rather highly regarded, actually.

-P-

You're right of course, but I hardly ever hear him mentioned in the same breath as the big names, yet I think he's right up there.

Jun 08 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Justin N Lane wrote:

Sterile?  Really?  I never saw it that way.  The passion in some of his dance images is astounding.

Jun 08 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Luccied

BASKING RIDGE, New Jersey, US

I think his underwater images are just amazing...

Jun 08 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:
Sterile?  Really?  I never saw it that way.  The passion in some of his dance images is astounding.

here's another dance photographer, been around forever...

Lois Greenfield:
http://loisgreenfield.com/galleries/airborne/index.html

About Howard? I don't know, all dance photography looks the same to me...as if the style is ubiquitous... also, consider that the photographer's presence in the image takes a back seat to the performance of the dancer.  There just never seems to be any meaningful connection in his work.  It's all slick, beautiful, vibrant and sharp...but really not engaging beyond the surface.  Eyecandy.

Jun 08 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Justin N Lane wrote:

here's another...

Lois Greenfield:
http://loisgreenfield.com/galleries/airborne/index.html

I don't know, all dance photography looks the same to me...as if the style is ubiquitous... also, consider that the photographer's presence in the image takes a back seat to the performance of the dancer.  There just never seems to be any meaningful connection in his work.  It's all slick, beautiful, vibrant and sharp...but really not engaging beyond the surface.

Yeah, it's funny, but I've never been a big fan of Lois Greenfield. Her stuff I find sterile!  Did you ever see Schatz's "Passion & Line"?

Jun 08 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:

Yeah, it's funny, but I've never been a big fan of Lois Greenfield. Her stuff I find sterile!  Did you ever see Schatz's "Passion & Line"?

I have... he's working strongly in the tradition of the modernists... again, beautiful, but superficial to some extent (or at least from what I've seen).

I actually met him at expo a few years ago, he was doing a seminar on studio lighting...and he is a very enthusiastic guy...

Jun 08 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Justin N Lane wrote:

I have... he's working strongly in the tradition of the modernists... again, beautiful, but superficial to some extent (or at least from what I've seen).

I actually met him at expo a few years ago, he was doing a seminar on studio lighting...and he is a very enthusiastic guy...

Yeah, I met him too.  Very enthusiastic, very inspiring.  He gave me advice that was absolutely invaluable. 

Who do you like?

Jun 08 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

I have mentioned him several times in various "best photographer" threads. He is just not as trendy as others. Water Dance is one of my favorite books. Last week I joked around with a MUA that my biggest claim to fame is that I shot a model that he also shot. smile

Jun 09 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

depends which circles you frequent; he's been well established via his work underwater & with the dancers for a long time ...

love his work! yeah!

FML

Jun 09 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
I have mentioned him several times in various "best photographer" threads. He is just not as trendy as others. Water Dance is one of my favorite books.

Ditto.

His Body Knots and NudeBodyNude I did find too dry/sterile for my taste, but his various underwater works, or his work with Cirque du Soleil are an inspiration.

Jun 09 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Kind of a par with the photographer who shoots babies in all the weid set up in my opinion.
Mike

Jun 09 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

It's very interesting how Howard Schatz' work invites comments rooted in jealousy/envy disguised as critique.

His underwater images will forever be part of my dreamscape.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 09 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I have Waterdance and Poollight (books)

I also have two 16x20 Cibachromes from Pool Light, one is the covershot. Got it in the year 2000.

He generally limits his prints to 24 for gallery sales.

Jun 09 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Justin N Lane wrote:

You're joking, right?

And where did anyone ever hear that he is under rated?

Jun 09 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
I have mentioned him several times in various "best photographer" threads. He is just not as trendy as others. Water Dance is one of my favorite books. Last week I joked around with a MUA that my biggest claim to fame is that I shot a model that he also shot. smile

Dan was it the redhead, something like Shawnie Free Jones (Tuna)? She was in LA Confidential too.

Jun 09 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Justin N Lane wrote:

Agreed, which is exactly what you'd want from an optometrist, right? I find his stuff quite pretty and quite boring IMHO.

By the by, he's got a very impressive client list and commands some pretty high fees, so I'd be hardpressed to call him underrated.

Jun 09 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Agreed. Quite pretty and quite boring IMHO.

When compared to the frenetic pace of texture in the image "recent London test page 3 with Vanessa Scott-Thompson" or the subtle control of light and shadow in "Kind of a Fellini moment, isn't it?", I can see where you're coming from.

Jun 09 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

When compared to the frenetic pace of texture in the image "recent London test page 3 with Vanessa Scott-Thompson" or the subtle control of light and shadow in "Kind of a Fellini moment, isn't it?", I can see where you're coming from.

Ya didn't like 'em? Bummer!

Jun 09 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Ya didn't like 'em? Bummer!

Why did you edit your original post?

Jun 09 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Why did you edit your original post?

Because I didn't like the wording. I don't think much of myself as a writer. ;-)

Jun 09 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

Fresh is the new sterile. Check out Newborn and Homeless. I also like his ideas with figure photography.

His b/w work is in a class with Adams and Wynn Bullock (and that other zone guy). Who was the other zone system guy? His book read like he was hot doo-doo.

Jun 09 06 08:53 am Link