Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

hi folks.. i know im late to this party, and contrary to the rumors, i do NOT work for myspace... i did at one time shoot for Tom's other enterprise... anywho, just wanted to chime in that myspace has been great for me and kept my shooting calendar for 2004 completely booked with paid gigs and helped my portfolio enough to land a full time photo gig... it even got me enough recognition to get my pic in the L.A. Times a couple weeks ago for an article on myspace...

i do agree there are some crazy peeps on there as with any other internet portal (i.e. AOL chat rooms), but hey, like you all said, it's what you do with it...

sorry for the long post... haha

Jul 19 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 
Wang Chung is on there? Perhaps I should rethink my views.

NIN...311...Bile....String Cheese Incident...
Jimmy Eat World...Pretty Boy Floyd...
Powerman 5000....Megadeath...
VNV Nation...Ministry...and more...are on Myspace

However...there is always so much BS to weed thru on there...I dunno...

Always felt bad for models there and horror stories about the guys writing them constantly and such...and...gotta love clicking on things and seeing a message saying there has been an error...grrrrrrrrrrrr....constantly!

Have had a few paying jobs from it tho...
Guess it is up to the individual.

http://www.myspace.com/karlton

Jul 19 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Myspace can be alot of fun if you dont takeit very seriously. I enoy it alot.

Brandy
http://www.myspace.com/sexxxybitchdotcom

Jul 19 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

jO3Design

Los Angeles, California, US

I did work for MySpace, and I still do actively contribute to MySpace...

Just to clarify a few things.  Tom is NOT the sole proprietor of MySpace, which is the biggest misconception that people make.  The parent company of MySpace, Intermix Media, is the company that News Corp. bought.  MySpace is owned partially by Intermix Media, and partially by another group of private investors.

Just because the company has been bought by News Corp has no relevance to MySpace changing any of their structure.  MySpace will NOT charge for any of the existing services, which is another misconception.

MySpace is just at about 20,000,000 users, and is proven to be the fastest growing social network amongst the others...

The average user spends 1 hour and 29 minutes on MySpace per day.  That's the AVERAGE...  So let's say that you spend 20 minutes on MySpace a day...  That just means that there's someone who's spending another 2 hours and 38 minutes longer than you on it!  haha

So enough with the facts about MySpace...  Some facts about ME and MySpace.

If you've ever come across the profile "HTML Master," that's me.  If you've ever come across "jO3Design," that's me.

Through MySpace, I've networked and made an earnings of over 20,000 dollars in the past year.

It works if you work it.  Trust me...  I ask the people that I hear say that MySpace sucks why it sucks, and they really don't have a valid argument.  I ask them if they know about the forums.  The interactive groups started by other members.  The music section of the site.  The video section of the site.  The blog section of the site.  And most of the time, they say they didn't know about it...

It really is a versatile site, and ultimately, it's only going to grow from here...

And there are more famous people and celebrities on MySpace than fake celebrities.  smile  Trust me.  MySpace is pretty good at deleting the fake profiles, and verifying the real ones...

http://www.myspace.com/htmlmaster

Jul 19 05 08:20 pm Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

No qualms with MySpace here!  Matter of fact.. MySpace is what got this site off the ground!  I posted a few bulletins on MySpace and from there MM snowballed into where it is now tongue

So yah, I wouldn't underestimate it.  Sure, it has its fair share of junk, but it can definitely be used as a tool.

Jul 19 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fuzzytek - Stephen

Detroit, Michigan, US

I've been on MySpace for a while. I'm not extremely active on it. Many friends in the club scene around Detroit are there. There are other sites as well that I network through. You can find Fuzzytek on any of the following. It's all about EXPOSURE (how much can you make and take)...

MySpace, LiveJournal, Blogger, BlogLines, Hi5, Multiply, Bebo, Orkut,

My emphasis of recent has been growing a business news blog that reflects what I've done and am doing. Primarily I post modeling/photo news to http://fuzzyteknews.blogspot.com.

My personal notes and such wander through other blogs / communities. Keeping my business news blog for just that - business of photography. I do reference it on all my blogs, and my profile here.

Jul 19 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by Tyler: 
No qualms with MySpace here!  Matter of fact.. MySpace is what got this site off the ground!  I posted a few bulletins on MySpace and from there MM snowballed into where it is now tongue

So yah, I wouldn't underestimate it.  Sure, it has its fair share of junk, but it can definitely be used as a tool.

That could be said of most sites !

It's what you make out of it.

Robert

Jul 19 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

I like Myspace but to the person who said they do a good job weeding out the fakes, you are on crack! Lol, no just kidding smile but I can honestly go there right now, do a search, and I will find at least 5-10 fake profiles within the first 50 people I see. It doesn't sound like much but it is really annoying and the owners try but don't do enough. I mean these guys recently sold the site for millions of dollars, yep millions!!!!!!!!! They shouldn't follow in OMP's footsteps and do nothing to improve the site after making money.

Jul 20 05 05:21 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I recently joined myspace, and I think it's great. Granted, I have no idea what it's model/photographer/general industry networking capability is, I know it's amazing for music (most of my friends bands are on there, not to mention a lot of the big name ones)....So...I imagine if you started friending the right people, you could get a similar reaction (which was for me: Hey! I found my friend Derek! AND my friend Joe's band! *add as friend* two days later: *40 people add me as a friend, varying between other friends, their bands, or cool new bands that want to shamelessly promote*).  Change from music to modeling and there you go smile

Jul 20 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

jO3Design

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
I like Myspace but to the person who said they do a good job weeding out the fakes, you are on crack! Lol, no just kidding smile but I can honestly go there right now, do a search, and I will find at least 5-10 fake profiles within the first 50 people I see. It doesn't sound like much but it is really annoying and the owners try but don't do enough. I mean these guys recently sold the site for millions of dollars, yep millions!!!!!!!!! They shouldn't follow in OMP's footsteps and do nothing to improve the site after making money.

This mindset, just like the majority of people, is what kills a good thing.  FYI, the owners of MySpace didn't sell MySpace.  The parent company, Intermix Media, sold itself to News Corp.  Of course, MySpace had a huge part to do with the sale, but believe you/me, the myspace owners didn't have much of a say as to whether or not its parent company should sell or not.

And contrary to belief, MySpace owners made much less than you think of the overal $580 million that Intermix Media was bought for...

And trust this:  Tom ain't going to just give up on MySpace...  Neither is Chris, Josh, or Aber...  The other guys that own MySpace...  Not just Tom...

Jul 20 05 04:53 pm Link

Model

michigangal

Titusville, Florida, US

I just recently found my space my cousin(18) told me about it I really just wanted to check out his pics but started posting the sames ones I have on here .... I told someone I wasnt there for boyfriends or chats he called me a slutty mother LOL ( ive been married 10 years 5 kids) soo you find good  bad and ugly just like any other site lol..... only way to find out is to try its free! lol

Jul 20 05 05:53 pm Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

I am on Myspace and joined to keep up with one of my favorite singers (Voltaire). After joining I found alot of my friends who are on there, so I keep in touch with them alot of the time through there.  I ignore people I don't know (they can't tag on your profile or comment on your pics if they are not on your friend list anyway) and made it a policy to never add bands or people I don't know in person (unless I'm friends with a member of that band or the person is someone I plan to meet at some point.) I don't hesitate to delete someone I find irritating or rude from my friend list.

It's fun to post blogs and read my friends blogs. It's just a site that's very different than this one and with a different purpose. Tyler has done a great job on both sites IMO.

I wouldn't be on this site if a friend of mine hadn't told William Kious about me. He told me about this site and I joined because of him and because I plan to do a shoot with him at the Toledo shoot coming up.

Jul 20 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Arcangel

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I like Myspace for the most part.
It does have it's good points as well as bad points...what site doesn't? smile But, would I reccomend joining? Sure, it's fun.

Jul 22 05 07:08 am Link

Model

Kat Marie

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

I became a part of the myspace world some time ago after I moved back to Va from GA. I met up with so many of my old high school friends that I thoght I would never see again. I even met up with Flogging Molly and VNV Nation threw myspace.

I even found someone I sort-of-knew from high school that used to "stalk" me.. thing is I would "stalk" him back.. we liked eachother alot back in school. After he was out of school I thoght I would never see him again, we were not that clouse at the time however I never forgot him... and as I now know he never forgot about me. after him finding me on there we met up and I ended up falling deeply in love with him. (he is Sabin the photog from my profile) Well in the end, thank goodness for myspace and other web forums like it and MM!
~Kat Marie

http://www.myspace.com/nekostears

Jul 22 05 07:52 am Link

Model

lilpinki69

myspace is a lot of fun... i think... you get to meet a lot of cool people. I have made a few good connections through myspace but as with every website, you have to be careful.

http://www.myspace.com/lilpinki69

Jul 22 05 02:43 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Myspace is a fun site, but it gets old after a while. Such is the fickleness of the internet, I guess!

Jul 22 05 02:46 pm Link